PDA

View Full Version : Blackjack 26 Dual

blackcat26
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
After seeing Mudl's twin and Cog's twin I decided to try my hand at one. Went fairly cheap with turnigy Aquastar's and Turnigy 36-50-3300 motors on 3s lipo's per side. Props were s/b x442's counter-rotating with the Sv27 stingers. My port side motor was for a lack of description rattling instead of reving. I made few passes and gps'd at 61.1. I'd like to put new motors on without going to Neu's. My choices are Ammo and Feigao. Any idea's for hitting 70 and above?:help:

blackcat26
04-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Here is the link to my video. I realize the motors im running are not exactly the right ones but still did decent when they worked! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKl97-zWwgc

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 12:52 PM
Anyone have any ideas??? I know I didn't post pics during the build....sorry I was in a hurry to get running for the long weekend!

tiqueman
04-06-2010, 01:04 PM
Just finished a twin HOTR w/ 540 10XLs on 6S, (2 3S seriesed the parallelled to each ESC) and with out adjustments or trying yet, 3rd run went 66.7. So 70 isnt far off and shouldnt take too too much to get to. Its on 120A Turnigy ESCs and is pulling about 90A per system. Set up (wiring) is identical to Mudls and is actually who I extensively talked to about the set up. Its what he recommended it it works beautifully. I would think in a BJ being a little smaller hull, you would be closer to or even at 70.

obrien008
04-06-2010, 02:25 PM
I would go with the 540's as well, maybe only 540L's though since the XL's might be a bit too heavy for that 26''. I like that rudder you have, where did you get it?

Make-a-Wake
04-06-2010, 02:26 PM
Feigao 540 8L's are 3200 kv................36x60mm, maybe 8L or 9L for 3s

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-540L&cat=116

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 06:36 PM
I was wondering if a lower kv motor with a little more power like the "L" series would wind out better. Those turnigy motors were deff. not up to the task at hand. Should I go with the 2800kv or closer to what I had at 3200-3300kv? Rudder was homemade at work with a breakaway Titanium blade for giggles.

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 06:40 PM
Just finished a twin HOTR w/ 540 10XLs on 6S, (2 3S seriesed the parallelled to each ESC) and with out adjustments or trying yet, 3rd run went 66.7. So 70 isnt far off and shouldnt take too too much to get to. Its on 120A Turnigy ESCs and is pulling about 90A per system. Set up (wiring) is identical to Mudls and is actually who I extensively talked to about the set up. Its what he recommended it it works beautifully. I would think in a BJ being a little smaller hull, you would be closer to or even at 70.

Interesting wiring....Is that just to make the entire system more consistent voltage wise? I just wired up each batt to each esc but your way seems way smarter.:rockon2:

obrien008
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
I would personally go higher volts, less amps. So ya a lower KV would be better maybe around 2300-2400KV on 4s, thats what im doing for my current project which is also a dual setup.

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
I think you may be missing the boat here... lol I'm gonna run 3s to each motor not 4s to each. That would be way to heavy! So sticking with 3s per side anybody have any more suggestions?

Rumdog
04-06-2010, 09:42 PM
Tiqueman runs his packs in a series, then parallels the power to each esc. Therefore he is actually getting 6s per motor. This could also be an option for your setup How many mah are your packs? C-rating? Cupping the props for more pitch will add lots of speed as well. If deciding between ammo and feigao, I'd go with the ammos. They are more efficient.

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
Ok I see about the battery pack now. I misunderstood what he said and thought that he was just paralleling everything together so that both batt. packs would be in sync. Well in that case I could possibly use my 2 bj 26 motors right? Packs are 5000mah flightmax 40c 3s.

Rumdog
04-06-2010, 10:04 PM
The stock BJ motors would be a great choice on 6s, And those packs will have plenty of power to pull it off.

blackcat26
04-06-2010, 10:08 PM
I may try that. If I pulled 61mph out of her on her maiden, what do you think this setup would reach?

tiqueman
04-06-2010, 11:08 PM
I may try that. If I pulled 61mph out of her on her maiden, what do you think this setup would reach?

I dont think 60mph is an unrealistic expectation. I ran a 32" single cat on a BJ motor on 5S and went 49.3.. but then blew up the BJ ESC. :doh: I have found that 4S to 5S depending on set up adds about 8 or 9 mph. I have had that consistance w/ 3 different boats. So if 6S, in theory gets it almost to 60, a twin will easily put it over the 60mph mark. Just keep an eye on those motors.

Interesting wiring....Is that just to make the entire system more consistent voltage wise? I just wired up each batt to each esc but your way seems way smarter.:rockon2:

Its wired that way to get 6S as well as each side always sees the exact same voltage input.

Tiqueman runs his packs in a series, then parallels the power to each esc. Therefore he is actually getting 6s per motor. This could also be an option for your setup How many mah are your packs? C-rating? Cupping the props for more pitch will add lots of speed as well. If deciding between ammo and feigao, I'd go with the ammos. They are more efficient.

I need to learn how to cup props.... I want 70!!! :confused2:

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 05:39 AM
Too much is never enough....lol My maiden did 61.1 mph. I'm sure the blackjack motors are stronger than the turnigy's, so hopefully this will boost me up. I have another blackjack that I have run on 6s and it does about 44mph but it is a single drive.......We'll see what happens! If this does not get me the speed I need imma throw down on some new motors.

Simon.O.
04-07-2010, 05:58 AM
Impressive run !
I like that the Turnigy 50mm motor will spin a 442. That gives me a bit of headroom with one of my new projects. Most of my reading tells me that the L size (60mm long) is better for 40mm props.
Again, well done, and I am keen to see how you develop this build. :thumbup1:

I'll take the short motors off you if you want rid of them. :cool:

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 08:25 AM
I have another blackjack that I have run on 6s and it does about 44mph but it is a single drive......

That doesnt sound right at all???? What prop and batteries were you running?
I ran 5S on a BJ motor and esc in a 32" cat, single drive, and did almost 50. 6S I would guess had pushed it at least in the mid 50s. On 4S people are getting 40-42 out of it. 2 or 3 more mph with an extra 7.4V seems like something was wrong.
What Im getting to is, I wouldnt let that 6S run discourage you and let you question speed.

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 09:46 AM
That doesnt sound right at all???? What prop and batteries were you running?
I ran 5S on a BJ motor and esc in a 32" cat, single drive, and did almost 50. 6S I would guess had pushed it at least in the mid 50s. On 4S people are getting 40-42 out of it. 2 or 3 more mph with an extra 7.4V seems like something was wrong.
What Im getting to is, I wouldnt let that 6S run discourage you and let you question speed.

It was a speedmaster strut with F.F. offset rudder running with a aquastar esc on (2) 3s flightmax (in series) 5000mah 40c batts on a x642 prop. That does sound slow for all that power.....I'm going to try the new wiring for this boat first and if that does not work go with the "L" motors. And yes the "s" motors are prolly not that great coupled with the 42mm prop!

mudl
04-07-2010, 03:57 PM
After seeing Mudl's twin and Cog's twin I decided to try my hand at one. Went fairly cheap with turnigy Aquastar's and Turnigy 36-50-3300 motors on 3s lipo's per side. Props were s/b x442's counter-rotating with the Sv27 stingers. My port side motor was for a lack of description rattling instead of reving. I made few passes and gps'd at 61.1. I'd like to put new motors on without going to Neu's. My choices are Ammo and Feigao. Any idea's for hitting 70 and above?:help:

Hi for hidding the 70

take aout yor motors
put in 3656/4
drive it with one 4s Lipo 5000 Turnigy/flightmax 40/50C for both motors,
or for going or flying very fast with one 5s Lipo for both motors

greetings from germany

mudl

ps:at the moment i drive a HPR CT04 with Lehner 3060/8 and 12s1P Turnigy 5000 40/50C.At the moment average amps are about 230 and peak amp is over 300.
Power is about 14000 Watts per motor.We checked the data with unilog systems. :rockon2:

RCKong
04-07-2010, 04:04 PM
Now that is cool !!! probably could run an full scale electric car on that...

RCKong
04-07-2010, 04:10 PM
I'm going with 2 Nemesis 9L's (2770kv) pushed by 2 CC 120's on 4s 5000mah 40c - 50c in mine, BJ 26 should be quik.

mudl
04-07-2010, 04:20 PM
Hello

and this is my HPR CT04 Etreme Xhibit :bounce:

mudl

RCKong
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Yea I just saved the pics of this to my extreme boats file. That is a VERY nice looking boat, awesome paint. I would like to see what makes it tick... LOL Any video of this boat yet?

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 04:57 PM
Hi for hidding the 70

take aout yor motors
put in 3656/4
drive it with one 4s Lipo 5000 Turnigy/flightmax 40/50C for both motors,
or for going or flying very fast with one 5s Lipo for both motors

greetings from germany

mudl

ps:at the moment i drive a HPR CT04 with Lehner 3060/8 and 12s1P Turnigy 5000 40/50C.At the moment average amps are about 230 and peak amp is over 300.
Power is about 14000 Watts per motor.We checked the data with unilog systems. :rockon2:

Thank you sir, I just may try that! I cannot help but try the BJ motors first since they are free to try and the last time I checked Hobby King was out.:rockon2: By the way that video of your boat you posted on here that jumped the bank and went over the trees was amazing! One last thing.....Thank you for the inspiration for this project! It has and is very enjoyable! auf Wiedersehen

Meniscus
04-07-2010, 05:13 PM
Impressive run !
I like that the Turnigy 50mm motor will spin a 442. That gives me a bit of headroom with one of my new projects. Most of my reading tells me that the L size (60mm long) is better for 40mm props.
Again, well done, and I am keen to see how you develop this build. :thumbup1:

I'll take the short motors off you if you want rid of them. :cool:

Simon, I've been running this motor (http://hobbyking.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6529) for quite some time now. It performs like nobody's business. I've turned 42-44mm props on 4s with no issue and most of the time, it's still winding up when I get to the end of the straight. I'm not sure I would put it under the stress of pushing a mono, but it does great with the hydros with less slip. In reality, I feel that this particular motor may be a few KV higher than it states.

Besides, you can't beat $25 while testing. :thumbup1:

Rumdog
04-07-2010, 05:17 PM
I love the fact that the market is growing and we have options now. The Chinese stuff is starting to rank right up ther in quality and in some cases better. Especially in esc's and lipos!

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure my port side motor is 100% I noticed when powering up (just before hatch tape) that its kinda rattling and not spinning right like the starboard side. Flex is free spinning and motor feels good to the touch smoothness wise. It was getting warm while checking rotation very low speeds to make sure I had everything right. Any idea's?

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Yea I just saved the pics of this to my extreme boats file. That is a VERY nice looking boat, awesome paint. I would like to see what makes it tick... LOL Any video of this boat yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo-IKAvu_UY :eek: :eek: :eek:

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 09:27 PM
Ok, got the BlackJack motors installed today. I am super pumped about this new wiring sceme! Thanks Scott! Can you tell me if my diagram is correct before I burn the garage down?

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 09:31 PM
Ok, got the BlackJack motors installed today. I am super pumped about this new wiring sceme! Thanks Scott! Can you tell me if my diagram is correct before I burn the garage down?

Looks right. Did you see the parallel connectors I made? Makes it super easy to plug everything in and you can screw it up.

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 09:34 PM
these

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Cool man thanks! I'm gonna be nipping at your heels now!And I was just getting used to no sparking when putting connectors together.....

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 11:06 PM
Cool man thanks! I'm gonna be nipping at your heels now!And I was just getting used to no sparking when putting connectors together.....

:laugh: Yeah mine sparks pretty good. Ive got mine all torn apart now and prepping it for paint. And a few other changes :spy:

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 11:09 PM
One thing that was nice in a way with the turnigy motors was it didn't seem to wanna jump out of the water when you goose it. I think thats all about to change.....I'll keep ya posted, prolly be this weekend, so I can have my camera girl rolling film.

tiqueman
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
What ESCs were you running? I had a HUGE difference in take off when I went from Ettis to Turnigys. I have a heck of a time getting the first take off on fresh batts in my single drive cat. I back flip it ALL THE TIME.

My twinny launches incredibly well. Doesnt go verticle off the line. Even on a hard launch

blackcat26
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
Same as the maiden 120a Turnigy Aquastar's. They should hopefully see less amp spikes from the high voltage set-up now. It's all a guessing game with me due to no data logger.

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 12:13 AM
Same as the maiden 120a Turnigy Aquastar's. They should hopefully see less amp spikes from the high voltage set-up now. It's all a guessing game with me due to no data logger.

Yeah Im really really loving those Turnigy 120s. If the stock PB esc is 45A and it turns the stock motors, running the 120s w/ 2 stock motors you shouldnt have any Amperage issues at all. You are going up to 6S, but the PB ESC will take 5S. I think you will be well under the 120A mark. Im pulling about 90 per motor in a bigger boat with 10Xls.. 1600 something KV. Im no electronics wizzard when it comes to this stuff, but Id bet you pull 80 or less.

BakedMopar
04-09-2010, 01:01 AM
The only thing I've noticed with the Aquastars is on the "standard" start setting it had a noticeable delay when you get on and off the throttle. I have set it now to the "Fast" start and see how it goes. Boat is at the art shop getting some work done.

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 01:15 AM
Im using the black wrapped Turnigy marine, not the blue wrapped Aquastars and dont have that problem. Its instant throttle response both on and off

ohhh, what are you getting done?

BakedMopar
04-09-2010, 01:23 AM
Yes I know how those are. Fqdawld had a mono setup with those and it's like a fregging on and off switch. He burnt three of them, two on plug in, one of em new never seen water. I'm. Liking the aquastar so far. Only really had a few runs so far.

Some small stuff.....

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 01:29 AM
Yes I know how those are. Fqdawld had a mono setup with those and it's like a fregging on and off switch. He burnt three of them, two on plug in, one of em new never seen water. I'm. Liking the aquastar so far. Only really had a few runs so far.

Some small stuff.....

When you say "like an on off switch", you mean it was all out or nothing? What Im experiencing w/ them is incredible trigger response throughout the entire range and I can do very soft starts. Unlike my Ettis that on soft start will back flip my other 32" cat single drive, 1 out of 3 times on fresh batts. Extremely annoying.

blackcat26
04-09-2010, 12:01 PM
I like how they cover the water nippples with heat shrink on the Aquastars....Really shows off the knowledge of who is putting them together. Do you guys have to hold the throttle in during start up. Mine seem finicky like they want to go into programming mode.

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 12:13 PM
I have none of those issues w/ my Marine Turnigys... Again, Im not using the Aquastars. I couldnt read enough good about them to make the purchase

BakedMopar
04-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Even the Castles have shrink covering the nipples no biggie. You only need to set the throttle parameters the first time. After that you just plug in as you would normally do.

blackcat26
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM
Even the Castles have shrink covering the nipples no biggie. You only need to set the throttle parameters the first time. After that you just plug in as you would normally do.

Cool man thanks. I realize it's not that big a deal just kinda odd. On mine I put seperate pc. of shrink around the caps to give me additional support. Got to the river today and the wind was howling prolly 20mph and in the wrong direction. (would be hard to retrieve in a blowover) So, tomorrow is the day I'll test her. It was all I could do not to slap her in the water anyway, but decided not to.........

tiqueman
04-09-2010, 10:56 PM
:popcorn2:

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 01:46 PM
:mad:Well second run was a flop. Didn't get a full pass made before blowover and burnt the starboard esc up on the next run. The fire inside almost burnt the lipo next to that speed control. Not 100% sure what happened here. Both power leads and all 3 motor leads were completely unsoldered after meltdown. Oh well, I have to live with that terrible burnt electronics smell for awhile. Using the exact same cog as the maiden voyage this thing went like a cat with it tail on fire before I could get off the throttle. These motors truely are a beast on 6s! The starboard motor may be toast not sure yet. Gps recorded 49mph before blowover:mad:

BakedMopar
04-10-2010, 01:58 PM
What was the setup?

Rumdog
04-10-2010, 03:13 PM
Did it let in water when it blew over?

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 03:37 PM
What was the setup?

(2) 3s batteries in series with 2 aquastars paralleled with (2) blackjack26 motors. Batts were zippy flightmax 5000mah 40c with only one run on them.

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Did it let in water when it blew over?

Boat was bone dry after blowover. Pushed it in with my zig zag checked for water checked the gps then retaped and tried to re-run. Ran the boat out a ways for a drag and then it was acting strange. Saw a puff of smoke come out from apparently overheated hatch tape. Drove boat in on port side motor only. The only thing that I saw out of the ordinary was starboard side flex was sticking out of the stinger about an 1/8 more than the port......

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 05:22 PM
Update, Starboard side motor will be burried with the speed control. Expensive outing to not even get her maxed out speed-wise.

6S HYDRO
04-10-2010, 08:43 PM
i dont know about that wiring, may be the culprit

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I still haven't figured it out. Here is a shot of the wiring. Batts in series and esc in parallel. :confused2:

tiqueman
04-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Your wiring looks fine.

I have my own opinions that Im sure most will say I dont know what Im talking about.. but I will say it anyways. My guess.. one of your leads on the motor came unsoldered and casued it. This will be case number 4 Ive heard of this happening (one being of my own) and each time one or more of the wires were undone from the motor. I hate and will not use BJ motors any more. People swear by them.. I think they are crap. I had the problem on 5S, boat was runing fine and then stopped. Steering servo still worked, but motor would not turn. It was about 30 feet from the shoreline directly in front of me. 30 seconds later, it sounded like an air hose let loose, I watched my hull expand and then a flame exploded out the front. I lost a batt, a gps, an ESC (proboat) and the proboat motor. This happened less than 30 seconds into a run and the only thing abnormal when it came in was a broken solder connection to a bullet from the motor to the esc and the positive lead wire burnt going into the esc and came out of the esc after I pulled it out. Id say it was a motor catastrophy and nothing more.

Sorry to hear that happened though.. sucks... Ive been there.

BakedMopar
04-10-2010, 10:33 PM
Can't really tell from your picture how your wiring is but this is how I run mine. I was going to say almost the same thing. I don't want to assume that BJ motors are bad as I never used one. I will say that your motor probably caused the esc damage. My mono wound up a flex cable which caused a bind and poof went a CC 120. When I got it back to shore everything looked well except the esc which was toast. Upon further inspection the flex showed sings of it being wound up. At 25-30K rpm and a sudden stop in the driveline will cause a lot of current to make things go poof. Might not be the case but it's something to not overlook.

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Tiqueman, the connectors on the motor were all intact. They were still attached to the esc motor leads just melted off from the esc.
Flex was fine and still very free spinning. I did notice apon removal that motor was the sloppy motor that allowed the 5mm shaft to move slightly in and out.(like it needed a shim inside) I noticed this earlier but didnt think anything about it since I was running thrust bearings between collet and motor face. Wiring-wise mine is the same as yours Baked just not as pretty. I made a "y" split with same gage wire and connectors. All 6mm bullets.

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 10:51 PM
Actually I don't think my wiring is the same as yours. Don't you have everything in parallel?

BakedMopar
04-10-2010, 10:52 PM
:noidea: I hope you get it figured out and I wanna see 70+:Praying:

BakedMopar
04-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Actually I don't think my wiring is the same as yours. Don't you have everything in parallel?

Yes but thats because I'm running 4s2p. Basically was showing the parallel adapter for the esc's. Thats the only picture I have of it.

blackcat26
04-10-2010, 10:56 PM
Mudl said to get the 36-56-2600 turnigy's and use 1 4s batt. That may be my next move. I had to try this since I had everthing laying around.

tiqueman
04-10-2010, 11:20 PM
Tiqueman, the connectors on the motor were all intact. They were still attached to the esc motor leads just melted off from the esc.
Flex was fine and still very free spinning. I did notice apon removal that motor was the sloppy motor that allowed the 5mm shaft to move slightly in and out.(like it needed a shim inside) I noticed this earlier but didnt think anything about it since I was running thrust bearings between collet and motor face. Wiring-wise mine is the same as yours Baked just not as pretty. I made a "y" split with same gage wire and connectors. All 6mm bullets.

I miss read part of it.. sorry. I thought you had said the motor bullets came undone. I still would put my money on a motor issue. Your wiring and batts were fine for what you were doing. And I will re-state about BJ motors. They are great for stock usage, 4S. Anything else isnt worth the trial IMO.

One other thing as I said somewhere before.. I think on this thread. Im still not sold on the Aquastars. It seems a lot of folks are having issues w/ them.

BakedMopar
04-10-2010, 11:49 PM
One other thing as I said somewhere before.. I think on this thread. Im still not sold on the Aquastars. It seems a lot of folks are having issues w/ them.

Thats how I feel about the Marines. :zip-up:

Beside Blackcat26 and Deisel (which got wet) how many people are having issues with Aquastar? I beleive hey are the same as the swordfish that Steve sells.

Rumdog
04-10-2010, 11:58 PM
I still think for the setup to be reliable there needs to be at least 1p per motor/esc. Trust me, the bj motors are up top the task. These motors are very high quality. JesseJ ran twin bj motors on 6s each in an IntruderL, and that's a MUCH bigger cat. The problem with running twins in these small cats is space.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 12:03 AM
Thats how I feel about the Marines. :zip-up:

Beside Blackcat26 and Deisel (which got wet) how many people are having issues with Aquastar? I beleive hey are the same as the swordfish that Steve sells.

Im just basing my opinion on ratings and reviews from other websites Ive seen, both Forums and online stores. Just seemed a lot of mysterious dying of the esc from what I had read. Be it on plug in or short term usage. Probably like any other esc, its hit and miss. Im by far not saying they are junk etc, I just havent found enough info on them that would make me purchase them, thats all. Baked, I think you are running them in yours and without any issues. We can all have problems w/ any esc.. seems the high dollar ones have just as much if not more issues than the low dollar units. But, I will continue my trials w/ Turnigys as Id rather replace a $60. unit a few times than a $200 unit.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 12:06 AM
I still think for the setup to be reliable there needs to be at least 1p per motor/esc. Trust me, the bj motors are up top the task. These motors are very high quality. JesseJ ran twin bj motors on 6s each in an IntruderL, and that's a MUCH bigger cat. The problem with running twins in these small cats is space.

I think w/ mudls success in his boats, thats enough proof that the way Blackcat has it wired will work just fine.

And as for my experience w/ the PB motors.. mine didnt handle 5S more than 2 runs and the motor had less than 10 runs on it and was about 2 mo. old. So it was far from used and abused. Therefore, and for that reason, I will not run that motor again. Just as esc's, everyone is going to have different results, some get away w/ things, some dont. Just stating my experiences and why I wont run them or consider them any more.

BakedMopar
04-11-2010, 12:13 AM
I still think for the setup to be reliable there needs to be at least 1p per motor/esc.

:iagree:

Im just basing my opinion on ratings and reviews from other websites Ive seen, both Forums and online stores. Just seemed a lot of mysterious dying of the esc from what I had read. Be it on plug in or short term usage. Probably like any other esc, its hit and miss. Im by far not saying they are junk etc, I just havent found enough info on them that would make me purchase them, thats all. Baked, I think you are running them in yours and without any issues. We can all have problems w/ any esc.. seems the high dollar ones have just as much if not more issues than the low dollar units. But, I will continue my trials w/ Turnigys as Id rather replace a $60. unit a few times than a $200 unit.

I am by not all means saying that the Aquastars are good or bad, just wanted to know what you are basing your research on. I only have had 3 runs on mine so I can't make a judgment yet. I have burnt up some name brand ones also. Good thing is they replaced it. As I stated in another thread.

Bottom line is no one brand will be smoke free. Choose a straw and hopefully yours ain't the short one.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 12:28 AM
Then again.. what is "reliable" when your knocking on the door of 70mph???? I dont think its a matter of "if" no matter what components or way its wired... its "when"

Rumdog
04-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Are you guys using the bec on these esc's or using a rx pac or ubec? I never use the built in bec on over 3s, it just isn't reliable. That is for ANY esc I run.

Rumdog
04-11-2010, 12:33 AM
The truth is, SAW setups aren't a reliable everyday setip.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 12:43 AM
Are you guys using the bec on these esc's or using a rx pac or ubec? I never use the built in bec on over 3s, it just isn't reliable. That is for ANY esc I run.

Ubec on my twin, and RX packs on my other boats except for my stock SV still runs the Esc's bec.

The truth is, SAW setups aren't a reliable everyday setip.

Exactly

And thats where I think Baked's boat will outlast mine and Blackcats... but as Ive been tought.. you have to pay to play :eek:

blackcat26
04-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I disconnected my rd wire from the connector to disable the bec on both esc's. (just to be safe) Can you run one of the bec's like this to power it? I didn't know so I played it safe. As for these motors I have had good luck until maybe now. I ran my Elam on 6s several times and had no issues. I would almost go on a limb and say its got enough power on 6s to fuel my sw36!

blackcat26
04-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Think i will put my other aquastar in and turnigy's 3300kv's back in and change timing and try and re run her today. Those motors are a pain to take in/out. Might even run just one battery to see the Mph difference from shedding some weight. She tipped the scales at 7 1/4 lbs fully loaded ready to run on maiden.

blackcat26
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Ran on two batts with the "maiden turnigys" and gps recorded 60mph on high timing. Ran again later with just one battery and got a little less than 60 but the motors were cooler. I thought that losing that 1lb battery would speed me up for sure. I'm also not so sure my under hull pick-ups are picking up that much water. Last run of the day motors were around 135f and speedys were about 105 or so. Boat was acting strange again like one motor was flamed out. Just like Jesse says cheap, fast, reliable, choose any two.

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
60 sounds good though!!! And more importantly.. no fires!
What kinds water stream do you have coming out your exits? Does it look spotty and weak?

blackcat26
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
60 sounds good though!!! And more importantly.. no fires!
What kinds water stream do you have coming out your exits? Does it look spotty and weak?
60 is not fast enough! lol Can't see the stream if there is one cuz it comes out of transom......

blackcat26
04-17-2010, 03:52 PM
OK ran her again today with Ammo 36-50-3300's. Looking at their wattage rating of over 800 almost double the Turnigy's rating I was pumped, until I ran it. Top speed identical to the turnigy motors. She went 61.1mph riding very dry. So, what's the difference between $15 dollar motors and $50 dollar ones? (about $35 dollars apparently) Got the 36-56-2600's on the way, hopefully they will diliver me into the "70" zone.......

BakedMopar
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
Ran on two batts with the "maiden turnigys" and gps recorded 60mph on high timing. Ran again later with just one battery and got a little less than 60 but the motors were cooler. I thought that losing that 1lb battery would speed me up for sure.

I did some runs with my Skunk yesterday with different setups and found my findings pretty similar. With the 1p setup it corners a little better but speeds seems slower. After a long straight at full throttle it hits the LVC cutoff too. With the 2p it holds the voltage up higher thats why its faster.

As far as the one motor thing. It happens to mines too. Although I have only one twin boat I have many twin motor monster trucks. Even with two esc in parrallel which ever motor has less load will spin faster. I'm assuming it happens to yours in the corners when you get off the throttle.

When are you going to be testing out the new setup?

blackcat26
04-22-2010, 10:44 PM
Well I'm hellbound to make these Ammo motors work.....Got 442's in today and have already started whittling em down a bit (38mm) Shooting for this weekend weather permitting. My theory is these motors can't turn a 42mm prop the rpm needed to break the speed of light. SO, I'm going to try smaller props and see what happens......(still waiting on HOBBY KING order with my 36-56-2600's and batts)

blackcat26
04-22-2010, 10:52 PM
A quick shot of new prop. Might cavitate like crazy, we'll see.

tiqueman
04-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Prop looks good!

I wish I could fit 6S2P in my build. Its just not happening. I may consider going to 5S on a 9XL. I may lose a mph or two, but my run time will be much better. For a quick Woohoo pass on 6S though, its fun.

I got my props in today. Hope to see the water Monday.

BakedMopar
04-29-2010, 03:02 AM
You try out those props yet?

blackcat26
04-29-2010, 05:30 AM
Yeah tried them Sunday. Lost a few mph from them, but they still looked pretty good! I think I finally see the light on the problem. Mudl told me from the start the 50mm can's were too underpowered for my setup. I believe this to be the main problem as I have explored smaller props now. My only other concern was stinger height but he said mine should be fine. Hobby King still has not sent my order of my batts and 56mm long Turnigy's due to a $1.50 pc. of backordered fiberglass.........

tiqueman
04-29-2010, 12:28 PM
Yeah tried them Sunday. Lost a few mph from them, but they still looked pretty good! I think I finally see the light on the problem. Mudl told me from the start the 50mm can's were too underpowered for my setup. I believe this to be the main problem as I have explored smaller props now. My only other concern was stinger height but he said mine should be fine. Hobby King still has not sent my order of my batts and 56mm long Turnigy's due to a $1.50 pc. of backordered fiberglass.........

You can email them and they will take it off your order and gove you the dollar amount in dollar points. Ive done that a couple times when I got tired of waiting. Then just re-order it when the piece is in stock.

I originally planned on those cans for my build and Mudl suggested it woldnt work well. But thats also a 32" hull compared to the 26". That guys got some great knowledge. :beerchug:

blackcat26
05-06-2010, 02:15 PM
Ran her yesterday with the 36-56-2600's and Gps recorded 63.8......Realistically how much faster would pitching up from the (442's, 1.4) to 1.6? I need to hit 70 bad! My props are x442 counter rotating s/b and slightly detongued.

tiqueman
05-06-2010, 02:28 PM
Not sure if youd get 6mph out of it, but, it could slow you down as well. For example, a single drive cat I have runs 2 mph faster w/ a 442 than a 642 on a 8XL... BUT, you never know til you try. And I think unless someone has your exact set up, you can get an answer without trying.....

blackcat26
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
My elam on the blackjack motor picked up 2 0r 3 mph from a 442 to the 642. Guess I'm back to the drawing board.....

BakedMopar
05-07-2010, 02:45 PM
Ran her yesterday with the 36-56-2600's and Gps recorded 63.8......Realistically how much faster would pitching up from the (442's, 1.4) to 1.6? I need to hit 70 bad! My props are x442 counter rotating s/b and slightly detongued.

Was that with the 42 or the ones that you cut to 38? Did you try the 38? I have had no luck with the X6 series. I don't gps but I doesn't look any faster but more heat. You could try to de toungue them add a little cup to the tips and or give them a little hub cut so it revs a little better.

blackcat26
05-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Was that with the 42 or the ones that you cut to 38? Did you try the 38? I have had no luck with the X6 series. I don't gps but I doesn't look any faster but more heat. You could try to de toungue them add a little cup to the tips and or give them a little hub cut so it revs a little better.

Yes the 442's Still to size, slightly detongued. How much can you take off?

BakedMopar
05-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Not much. How are your temps with the 42? Maybe can go a little bigger?

blackcat26
05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
I doubt it with these speed controls....They have been running close to 120f for about 3 or 4 passes. I'm not sure I like these aquastars so much.

BakedMopar
05-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Well its your call buddy. I have used almost every cheap brand and CC. They all burn and or have issues. My mystery mysteriously stopped working. fqdawld has had three or four of them Turingy 120 burn two on plug in and I killed a CC120.

tiqueman
05-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Yes the 442's Still to size, slightly detongued. How much can you take off?

All of it, you can come out 90 degrees from the hub. Post a pic of what you have.

blackcat26
05-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Aight here they are. I'm sure I cud trim more off but wanted to leave this set untouched as a "control set"

Brushless55
05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
any update on this cat?

Make-a-Wake
05-21-2010, 11:02 PM
I think this is mudl's vid i just viewed on youtube..........70+ mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFdOc3NMyw&feature=related

tiqueman
05-21-2010, 11:11 PM
I think this is mudl's vid i just viewed on youtube..........70+ mph

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EFdOc3NMyw&feature=related

That was a sweet boat for sure. He advised me on a HOTR twin build and everything he suggested was dead on right. Now Ive got a 70mph boat :banana: His boats are truley an inspiration.. I know it got Bc26 to where he is too! :w00t:

blackcat26
05-22-2010, 07:45 AM
any update on this cat?

Last time out I put 64mph on the gps with the 36-56-2600's on 4s2p. I have some new Hobby Wing 150a esc im going to slap in her soon and see what happens. On deck is the 38mm props to try and also have a pair of Scorpion hk3026 1600kv motors to try out. I bench tested one and it sounds like it's very pissed off! Can;t wait to try em.

Hey Scott you are correct about Mudl...If not for his boats I might have never made a twin, at least not out of the bj26. He has some fast toys in his arsonal!

blackcat26
06-13-2010, 09:25 PM
New topspeed for my twin... 67.3mph. Ran today with the hobbywing 150a's and 38mm props. Gonna slap the 42's back on and let her rip.

blackcat26
06-22-2010, 09:04 PM
More speed on the way.....Muah wah ha ha ha ha.....

RCKong
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
One of those 600XL on 6s pushed my bud boat to over 50mph... 75 - 80?

blackcat26
06-23-2010, 06:53 PM
70 was my original goal but I'd like to see what I can do with these new motors in it. It will at least do 70 now and hopefully upper 70's. The 442's only ran 65mph, it needs the 447's on it. That will bring her to life!

RCKong
06-23-2010, 07:33 PM
I'll bet your right...

blackcat26
08-15-2010, 08:28 PM
Update. Decided to try and run crazy rpm's on her to get speed. Verdict, it worked like a charm. Now I know everybody is gonna shi* here but this was my last effort to make her faster. Running Ammo 36-50-3300's on 4s pulled out 76.1 mph gps'd.

Brushless55
08-15-2010, 08:29 PM
That is crazy!
I wana video of this sucker :w00t:

blackcat26
08-15-2010, 08:36 PM
Soon grasshopper soon. And yes that is crazy. This is my 5th set of motor's I have tried in it.

Brushless55
08-15-2010, 08:39 PM
5th set?
whats up.. :spy:

blackcat26
08-15-2010, 08:45 PM
Had to get 70. lol

BakedMopar
08-15-2010, 08:53 PM
Congratulations! No you aren't crazy and who cares about rules when your on a mission. For kicks and giggles and a little show boating (pun intended) I have run 8xls on 6s a few times. Remember in a twin each system only sees half the work load.

Simon.O.
08-16-2010, 04:08 AM
Update. Decided to try and run crazy rpm's on her to get speed. Verdict, it worked like a charm. Now I know everybody is gonna shi* here but this was my last effort to make her faster. Running Ammo 36-50-3300's on 4s pulled out 76.1 mph gps'd.
That is the kind of rpm that I love to read about.
Top skills for pulling that one off :rockon2:

Brushless55
08-16-2010, 01:43 PM
ok, why is it some love the high rpm's?

blackcat26
08-16-2010, 02:10 PM
Congratulations! No you aren't crazy and who cares about rules when your on a mission. For kicks and giggles and a little show boating (pun intended) I have run 8xls on 6s a few times. Remember in a twin each system only sees half the work load.

Thank you Sir I am still on a mission looks like.....Maybe 80???:spy:

Thank you Simon. Im sure that those R's are tough on the bearings but it was down to pitching up the prop or more voltage. I know how to apply more voltage just not sure about pitching a prop up. Myabe with a little cupping she might see close to 80.....

blackcat26
08-22-2010, 03:28 PM
Ok, got some video of her yesterday at 75.4. Posted a video of her in the video section.

Simon.O.
08-23-2010, 05:38 AM
ok, why is it some love the high rpm's?

I am not usually one to cloud someone else's thread but this one needs an answer from me.
If you have not heard nuts out rpm then give it a go !!
With twins it is like an orchestra, simply beautiful !!

High rpm has its place. I run high 20krpm on some hulls and up to low 40krpm on others.

Give it a go and see how you like the sound. :thumbup1:

blackcat26
08-23-2010, 05:47 AM
I do realize it's a crazy amount of rpm's at 55k unloaded but I wanted to try it. If something breaks or smokes I'll just relpace it. It's hard to believe that those 50mm long motors can get her moving like that.