PDA

View Full Version : 1968 Miss Bardahl 1st Test Runs & Wrecks

Capt. Crash
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
First tests on completed boat using UL-1 power.

Well....she is a tough little boat. I put her through the torture tests yesterday to include a ugly stuff job after hitting a wave wrong, and then a blow over and roll in turn 4. The wind was gusty and cross and the waves were fun too.

The first 2 runs were on the Grim Racer 40-52/3. I hit a turtle first lap out and had to bring her in with the tug after losing rudder control. I reset the rudder and ran her again....GPS was 36.9....and she was cavitating pretty bad, especially trying to up get on plane.

I then swapped out to a X442 2 blade and she got up out of the hole very nicely and ran better. She ran a little warm on the last run of a little over a mile. GPS 40.2 mph. ESC and bateries were under 100 but the motor was 122 degrees. I may need to try to open up the cooling a little or go to the improved water jacket.

She was a tremendous amount of fun to watch and drive as she slid through the turns. The turn fin may be a tad small for this pond, but it sure is cool to see her try to make the tight turns. I am very happy with her.

Here's the videos:

http://vimeo.com/10676256
http://vimeo.com/10676609

Crash

JimClark
04-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Looks and runs much better. A little nose down but in windy conditions probably OK. On a good day move the cg back a little to loosen the nose up some and see what she does.

Great job
Jim

Jeepers
04-15-2010, 12:09 AM
that is a beautiful boat!!! runs well! are you guys planning on turning left?

Capt. Crash
04-15-2010, 09:13 AM
Thanks for the kind words guys....but hopes of getting any kind of racing going here is quickly going out the window. I've tried everything from sailboats, to UL-'s to crackerboxes and no one seems to really want to get involved.

After 2 years of pushing the CB boats, we have me and one other person finally getting a boat or two going. He still hasn't tried to run the course....but maybe we will be able to race those sometime soon.

I've been pushing the UL-1 since before they even hit the market and although a half dozen or so have shown (one here...one there) from time to time at the pond, only one other person has the skills to race and he very rarely comes to the pond.

To even get a sheetboat race up is like pullin teeth most of the time.

So...the idea of racing my new 1:10 shovelhead is non existant and it is just a exhibition/sport boat for now and the forseeable future.

I've tried to present our club in the best light with a good website and publicity. I post a lot of pictures and I'm spending a vast amount of time and trouble producing videos of the bimonthly sails, but I'm lucky if I even get one club member to post a comment.

It's all I can do to even keep motivated enough to hold the club together at this point. I'm not even sure it's worth all the time and trouble.

Ideas?

Crash

Rex R
04-15-2010, 12:39 PM
perhaps a silly (rhetorical) question, but do the area hobby shops know of your activities? I know that you've gotten media coverage, but sometimes people need reminding at the point of purchase. then to there is the little problem the country has had with money. hope things improve for your club, and hope you're feeling better soon.
rex

Jeepers
04-16-2010, 01:26 AM
sorry no help for ideas, my local club has a hard enough time keeping members. Its a love that some people have others don't.

RandyatBBY
04-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Cap Crash,
I have had my club start in 1990 and it has gone up and down in volume of people several times. It is amazing how people come and go. Like Jeepers said it really takes people that love the boats. Just have a standard days that you and a friend go to the pond and have fun runs. no rules Just fun. Keep it up and it will grow. Enjoy what you have, as you have it you may never know when it is the best it will ever be.