PDA

View Full Version : Original Wood UL-1 and 7XL = Disaster

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 07:56 AM
Alright guys,

With all this talk about running a 7XL on a UL-1 I thought I would share my experience. It's a wicked fast setup and too much in my opinion for this size boat...

This happen to me at the 2009 nationals in Michigan. A friend of my let me borrow one of his hulls to race in P Sport Hydro. Basically this boat was the original wood prototype for what is now the UL-1. The boat was set up with a Hacker 7XL 4S2P and a grim L38X55. I am going to guess the boat was going just a hair under 60mph (my GPS said 59.X)... Now mind you when this event happen heat racing for this boat/class was going to start in about 36 hours.

This first set of pictures is the result of the boat getting out of shape and it started tumbling at the end of the front straight.

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 08:02 AM
So those were taken at 9:30 at night if I remeber correctly. I imediatly began trying to piece it back together so could race it. I only had approximatly 30-32 hours, and I had to race the entire next day.

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 08:05 AM
I used CA to tack it all together. I then use some small sections of glass to tie in the sponson where is separated from the tub, and filler where I was missing some pieces...

The last picture in this set is where I went to bed at 1 ish in the morning. Letting the epoxy where I did the glass work and glued on the ride pad...

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 08:08 AM
I then woke up around 5 am to go back down stairs and do more work before I had to leave for another day of racing.

I had to do some sanding, put some structure in to support the non-trip skins, and more epoxy before leaving that morning.

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 08:26 AM
After another long day of racing I rushed home to continue to put together my friends boat. Keep in mind this boat was going to start heat racing the next morning. and I still didn't have the non-trip on the boat.

So these are the pics of the boat before I went to bed that night...

longballlumber
04-03-2010, 08:30 AM
I once again, got up early the next morning and sanded everthing down and it was ready to race that day...

My point in all of this is... You wanna push your boat to go faster with agressive motors, you greatly increase your chances of breaking something badly. I made a mistake, the 7XL was too much for this appication.

Later,
Mike

egneg
04-03-2010, 08:39 AM
That's a shame. I have pushed a couple of my boats past the limit myself and suffered similar results. :eek:

Grimracer
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
O YEA!...:buttrock:

The boat is back in great shape and ready to go again..:banana:

Its boating ... no harm done...

Man i love this story.. Mike worked his butt off to make the race..

Grim

Capt. Crash
04-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Sweet...so that's where my boat started from. Thanks for posting this man...and great job on the rebuild. :rockon2: