PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting a Superior

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 05:06 PM
Well after the wicked crash I looked it over and decided attempt to re-build. So far I sanded it down to the fiberglass, laid new fiberglass and then and started to re-sand. After I laid the fiberglass I did a leak test in the bath tub and all went well. I started to resand and get a smooth finish today and found a few area's that need to be addressed before I continue. After I am done sanding (hopefully tonight) & adding some additional fiberglass to some week spots I will put all the hardware back together and run it like that. If all goes well :Praying: and it runs good I will then re-paint. I ordered another esc for my set up. I keep debating on whether I want to attempt the 7xl set up again or go back to stock power. I don't want to give up on dialing this boat in with the 7xl set-up, but their is a lot of work to do with it.

Brushless55
04-02-2010, 08:09 PM
right on man, right with ya on this!

Rumdog
04-02-2010, 08:10 PM
Good job bro! Are you going to fill the sponsons with expandable foam?

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM

I'm not sure. If I do that would it limit my ability to splay the batteries through the sponsons?

Ammo 2600 is too high kv for 4s. My Ul-1 coulsn't handle the power of the 8xl. Lots of chine walking! The ammo 2300 may be an option. IMO the stock motor is plenty for this boat though. Maybe upgrade to a 120 amp esc and try propping up a tad.

I need more weight. The boat still would not keep the front down even with 2 4s lipo's in normal battery config ran in parallel. The 7xl may just be too much motor. I may step down to a ammo 2300 with a sv esc? Any thoughts to how that would work?

Rum you called the 2300 a long time ago as an option. You may right with that.

Colby
04-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Jesus Christ ... what wicked crash? My hat is off to you wanting and trying to fix the body ... I'd probably just buy a new hull. Let us know how it comes out.

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Jesus Christ ... what wicked crash? My hat is off to you wanting and trying to fix the body ... I'd probably just buy a new hull. Let us know how it comes out.

Hit a possible turtle at 51mph on the gps. It was actually a pretty clean break. Thought about scrapping i, but had a crap load of fiberglass and resin laying in the shop so said what the hell I'll give it a try. Only took about 5hrs. I just finished tending to the gaps I found, so I should be done tomorrow. I'm just waiting for it to cure right now.

Colby
04-02-2010, 09:22 PM
Just read down to your other post regarding the crash ... holy sh**. I'm looking at upgrading my UL-1 as well but now may give it a second thought ... high 40's may be fast enough.:olleyes:

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Just read down to your other post regarding the crash ... holy sh**. I'm looking at upgrading my UL-1 as well but now may give it a second thought ... high 40's may be fast enough.:olleyes:

It was blast on the 7xl (video is in my signature if you haven't seen it), sadly I just didn't have enough time to dial it in. Crash before I could try somethings, i.e straight turn fin to loose some lift or airdam for a few. I think like rum said a 2300 ammo may just be that happy spot.

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 09:40 PM
I just finished repairing the the nose cone. Luckly for more when it broke off the the cone floated and the the broken piece was still taped to the hull. I cut some fiberglass up and mixed it with the resin. I use tape to hold the pieces together while it cured, seems ok now and strong.

BHChieftain
04-02-2010, 09:50 PM
I'm not sure. If I do that would it limit my ability to splay the batteries through the sponsons?

I need more weight. .....

I would think by adding foam in the sponsons would help with weight, and you could still dig out holes for the lipos-- you might even get a more secure fit for the batterys that way.

I love that boat of yours, glad you decided to repair it!

-Chief

Jeepers
04-02-2010, 10:22 PM

Colby dont worry about breaking the hull, fiberglass is easy to repair! Plus there are a few boat modelers down here in Pueblo that could easily fix it! Diesels hull just split at the seam, pretty common actually, oh and don't hit a bouy with these hulls either, the damage looks about the same.

Diesel6401
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
I would think by adding foam in the sponsons would help with weight, and you could still dig out holes for the lipos-- you might even get a more secure fit for the batterys that way.

I love that boat of yours, glad you decided to repair it!

-Chief

I'm kinda of scared of the expanding foam. I have a heavy hand I don't want to spray to much and spilt the hull again. I'm still open to the idea though seeing people way more experienced than me are suggesting to do it. I have yet to re-work the turn-fin area so I would want to do that before I add foam though.

Rumdog
04-03-2010, 12:01 AM
use small shots, let it cure for an hour and add more as needed. Since your tub is cut out for the lipos, the foam will always have somewhere to escape so it won't blow up the hull.

Diesel6401
04-03-2010, 01:21 AM
use small shots, let it cure for an hour and add more as needed. Since your tub is cut out for the lipos, the foam will always have somewhere to escape so it won't blow up the hull.

Is their a specific brand or type I should purchase? I imagine Home Depot or Lowes would carry it.

ncornacchi
04-03-2010, 06:47 AM
Keep the project going Diesel....You and I have been on the parrallel build path with the 7XL in the UL-1....I've been watching your build and test very carefully....It's not too much motor...Mine was hopping and dancing so badly that I thought I had it over-powered too, but moving my strut down and messing with the angle has made the UL1 pinned to the water and very stable.....slowed it down to 47mph, but at least I know that it will stick, now I only have to tweek it back up and find the sweet spot...I'm running the CC240 in one and Etti 150 w/caps bank in other, and I am pleasantly surprised with the Etti (cost and performance)....BTW, both of mine were total wrecks, fixing them is half the fun....Norm

ncornacchi
04-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Also, I used the non-expanding foam from Home Depot...I drilled another drain hole in the transom on the starboard side to match the stock hole on the port side...I made an extension tube from some old teflon liner and fed it down all the way to the front of the sponson, injected foam while drawing the tube back out, did the other side and let her sit overnight...the next morning, there was solid foam oozing out of the holes, so I shaved them down and sanded, and they are solid! I have so much fiberglass on the sponsons from past crashes, that I think it added the very weight to the front that I was also looking for...Don't give up, keep her alive, she will serve you well!!

Rumdog
04-03-2010, 10:57 AM
I used greatstuff foam. I've gotta ask, ncornacchi, what's the point in all the expensive hop ups if it is no faster than stock. With a 7xl (too much motor) you had to drop your strut so deep that it is probably making it run super wet on the sponsons and lose tons of speed due to drag.

Diesel6401
04-03-2010, 09:28 PM
I used greatstuff foam. I've gotta ask, ncornacchi, what's the point in all the expensive hop ups if it is no faster than stock. With a 7xl (too much motor) you had to drop your strut so deep that it is probably making it run super wet on the sponsons and lose tons of speed due to drag.

Is this the stuff and same color can you use? Seems they have a lot of different types under the greatstuff name. Thanks

ncornacchi
04-04-2010, 07:13 AM

Rumdog, I don't think it's too much motor, it's just not dialed in right yet...I got everything I could out of the stock setup, and just wanted to step it up a notch and have some fun

Diesel6401
04-04-2010, 08:02 PM
Well she's alive. Got a chance to run it today. Since today was just a very easy going test I dropped the power down and ran it with SV power, stock collet and flex cable and a CF42 prop, strut was at 1" and neutral. I left the aft fins off and also forgot to put the drain plug in :doh: but shockingly she only had a little and I mean a little bit of water inside. I hit the trigger she submarined I let her bounch back and floored the trigger again and she shot out of the water and ran wonderfully. Since the SV power was installed she was glued to the water and ran perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better first run after repair. I will sand just a little bit more and then I will install the motor (going to try the 7xl again) and waiting for my esc from HC and also need to order another tactic rx. After I install the motor and esc and see how shes runs I will see if I need to sand some more than I will paint later down the road.

Colby
04-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Great Job ... you got more patience than I do. Glad to hear you are going to put the 7xl back her. :thumbup1:

Capt. Crash
04-05-2010, 11:40 AM
Cool...another UL-1 back in the water after a wreck....good job dude! :thumbup1:

Diesel6401
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Cool...another UL-1 back in the water after a wreck....good job dude! :thumbup1:

Thanx a lot.

speedfreak
04-06-2010, 10:02 AM
nice job diesel, that was fast. glad to see that your boat is back. can't wait to see when it's done.:thumbup1:

Diesel6401
04-06-2010, 11:22 AM
nice job diesel, that was fast. glad to see that your boat is back. can't wait to see when it's done.:thumbup1:

Thanx man, fixing is half the fun (sometimes lol)

BakedMopar
04-11-2010, 03:11 PM
Hows your boat going? You repaint it yet or are you gonna go back to the big power setup and dial her in first?

Diesel6401
04-11-2010, 03:30 PM
Hows your boat going? You repaint it yet or are you gonna go back to the big power setup and dial her in first?

right now im waiting for my esc to arrive from HC. Once I get that ill be back in business. I'll repaint after i dial it in. Yea i'm going to try th 7xl again, if progress doesnt go well I'll try a ammo 2300

Diesel6401
04-16-2010, 01:05 PM
Well got my new esc in from HC today. Going with the aquastar 120amp again. I am going to cut off the old shrink wrap and spray it with some liquid electrical tape to make it a little more water resistent i am also going to add the cooling plate I took from the fried esc to this new one to try and get better cooling, after that I will re-wrap it with some F4 tape I have laying around the shop. Hopefully I will have it back in the water monday or tuesday.

LarrysDrifter
06-04-2010, 11:22 PM

You wouldnt happen to know anything about adding extra capps would you?I need advise on some extra capps I have.Thanks.