PDA

View Full Version : Rip ul-1

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 04:17 PM
Bad day today guys. Lost the ul today after it got airborne and landed with a huge splash. Was trying to get some speed checks today and only had a chance to get 3/4 throttle when the boat crossed a little of it's own wake and got airborne. The nose cone went flying even though it was taped on. I didn't think much of the crash till I swam out to get the boat (beautiful day here in NC) and when I picked it up huge hole in the left sponson. Got the boat back to sure and opened it up and the esc (aquastar 120) is fried and the rx is also fried, not sure if motor is ok or not (feigao 7xl). Very sad day. Gps hit 51mph at 3/4 throttle before disaster struck.

Doby
03-31-2010, 04:26 PM
Some epoxy and a bit of time,,,should be fixable.

Rumdog
03-31-2010, 04:51 PM
I still can't believe how weak the ul-1 hulls are. that sucks man.

longballlumber
03-31-2010, 06:36 PM
I didn't think much of the crash till I swam out to get the boat (beautiful day here in NC).

I still can't believe that people still swim out to get an boat! No boat is worth loosing your life over. :ThumbsDown01:

Later
Mike

longballlumber
03-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I still can't believe how weak the ul-1 hulls are. that sucks man.

We are talking about a $300, 29 inch boat, going 51+ MPH... If it was built like a tank then it would run like one.

You gotta keep it in perspective.

Later
Mike

Grimracer
03-31-2010, 06:53 PM
I still can't believe that people still swim out to get an boat! No boat is worth loosing your life over. :ThumbsDown01:

Later
Mike

Im with you Michael..

NEVER SWIM FOR A BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVER!

PLEASE!

Grim

Rumdog
03-31-2010, 06:56 PM
I have NEVER had a hull do that from stuffing. I also filled my ul-1 with expandable foam. I've sent many delta force hulls flying and stuffing at well over 50mph and with nothing to show. It could be a little beefier and still have the same performance.

longballlumber
03-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Rum...

Are you going to come race with us this year?

how long have you been racing boats?

detox
03-31-2010, 07:39 PM
Most of the time I can wade out in waist deep water to retreive hull, but once I had to swim out in deep water. When I finally reached and grabbed hold of the UL-1 it made a good floatation device. I would have dround if it wasn't for the UL-1. Thanks Grim Racer !

Please do not swim for the boat. Unless.......................Just kidding!

BTW cool paint job.

Grimracer
03-31-2010, 07:48 PM
I know that most of you dont care what I say or feel but when and if a boater drowns I loose A TON OF SLEEP..

No need to get into the deails but this one "REALY HITS HOME" and im telling ya now..

NEVER SWIM FOR A DEAD BOAT....

PERIOD.

Grim

Rumdog
03-31-2010, 07:54 PM
Bring a life jacket for retrieval. Problem solved.

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 09:05 PM

Later
Mike

I just got back from swimming in the lake about a hour ago. It's great and do it all the time. Their was no need to send the rescue boat out on such a great day. It was 81F outside today here in NC and the water felt GREAT, any one near Charlotte NC your welcome to join me for a lake party!!!

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 09:11 PM
Where I live is a channel off the main lake so I got about within 5 yards of the boat by walking with water just above knees then swam the rest of the way. Swimming isn't the part I care about I rather enjoy it actually. I'm :cursing: about my boat.

Rumdog
03-31-2010, 09:36 PM
Now throw that gear in a vacupickle and let her rip!

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
Well the motor ran when I bench tested it and hooked it up to another esc. I tried using the program box for the esc plugged it up like normal and it didn't turn on, then the esc started smoking. That's when I offically new the esc died lol. I hope I didn't fry something in the program box.

You have a link for a vacupickel I'm not 100% positive what they are.

longballlumber
03-31-2010, 11:28 PM
I know that I should quite respond to these kinds of threads, but....

1. It's your choice to swim after a dead boat, but the key here is don't condone it as good behavior. It's just not a good idea. We don't want anyone to think that swimming is the answer to retrieving a dead boat. I am guessing that you missed the thread about the guys (notice the plural tense) that have drowned while swimming after a boat. I would recommend making a retrieve ball out of a tennis ball and an old fishing real. I will post some pictures of mine when I get home.

2. Have any of you jumped into a body of water going 50+ mph? Can you imagine what that feels like? Now, we have a little boat, going 50+ mph and it stuffs. I can’t even begin to explain the forces involved in that situation. I have been around boating for a long time. I have seen my fair share of boats “stuff”. I have also seen many boats broken because of a “stuff”. Sometimes they just get out of shape and they break. Do you want speed or do you want the boat to survive a nuclear event? (Insert sarcasm here)… Dude, they cut metal with water its some hard “stuff” when you hit it going fast.

Rum… Are you going to race with us this summer? We are always looking for more racers. I also might add that even if racing isn’t your gig, we simply have a good group of guys that come out to practice. Let me know if you have any questions.

Later
Mike Ball

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 11:48 PM
I know that I should quite respond to these kinds of threads, but....

1. It's your choice to swim after a dead boat, but the key here is don't condone it as good behavior. It's just not a good idea. We don't want anyone to think that swimming is the answer to retrieving a dead boat. I am guessing that you missed the thread about the guys (notice the plural tense) that have drowned while swimming after a boat. I would recommend making a retrieve ball out of a tennis ball and an old fishing real. I will post some pictures of mine when I get home.

2. Have any of you jumped into a body of water going 50+ mph? Can you imagine what that feels like? Now, we have a little boat, going 50+ mph and it stuffs. I can’t even begin to explain the forces involved in that situation. I have been around boating for a long time. I have seen my fair share of boats “stuff”. I have also seen many boats broken because of a “stuff”. Sometimes they just get out of shape and they break. Do you want speed or do you want the boat to survive a nuclear event? (Insert sarcasm here)… Dude, they cut metal with water its some hard “stuff” when you hit it going fast.

Rum… Are you going to race with us this summer? We are always looking for more racers. I also might add that even if racing isn’t your gig, we simply have a good group of guys that come out to practice. Let me know if you have any questions.

Later
Mike Ball

I have a resecue boat that works great (see link in signature) and the rescue boat was with me at the lake today, like I said it was hot and water felt great and I wanted too get in the water and enjoy the day and I do not make a habit of this. I do apprecitate the concern for safety. Now all that is out of the way back to main topic.

I'm not sure if I actually hit something in the water, it is possible. A few months ago I was bringin my SV in when it hit something below the water and almost ripped the rudder out from the transom. Luckly I was bringing it in slowly, maybe samething happened to the ul except at high speeds. I had a few high speeds blow over and rough crashes with this boat before and it held up great so it makes me wonder if it finally hit its limit or it smacked something in the water. Only God & spongebob know the answer to that question.

GREAT BOAT GRIM, BRING ON THE CAT. :rockon2:

Rex R
04-01-2010, 04:10 AM
www.vac-u-boat.com ;).

Capt. Crash
04-01-2010, 09:48 AM
II'm not sure if I actually hit something in the water, it is possible. A few months ago I was bringin my SV in when it hit something below the water and almost ripped the rudder out from the transom. Luckly I was bringing it in slowly, maybe samething happened to the ul except at high speeds.

You live in turtle country too....and...it's that time of year again. I've had a few bent fins and broke props from these swimming armoured submarines in our pond...and one pulled a Nirvana completely under (except for the mast) once...it was funny seeing it pop back to the surface.

I saw a log pop to the surface last fall and it was as big as my arm only it was vertical instead of laying horizonal on the surface. I thought it must have been stuck in the mud and just broke loose and came to the surface...then it went under and I saw the shell of a huge turtle pop the surface.

One of these will kill a UL-1 at speed if it hits it just right...and you may never see it if it's just below the surface. :scared:

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:11 AM
You live in turtle country too....and...it's that time of year again. I've had a few bent fins and broke props from these swimming armoured submarines in our pond...and one pulled a Nirvana completely under (except for the mast) once...it was funny seeing it pop back to the surface.

I saw a log pop to the surface last fall and it was as big as my arm only it was vertical instead of laying horizonal on the surface. I thought it must have been stuck in the mud and just broke loose and came to the surface...then it went under and I saw the shell of a huge turtle pop the surface.

One of these will kill a UL-1 at speed if it hits it just right...and you may never see it if it's just below the surface. :scared:

It's funny you say that because yesterday evening me and wife went to the lake to chill and wade in the water a little bit and we seen a turtles head popping out of the water it was prob about 5yds from shore and my boat lost it about 10yds past where we saw the turtle so it is very possible that's what I hit.

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:16 AM
www.vac-u-boat.com ;).

:doh: thanx

Shooter
04-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Oh no! Not the swimming argument again! Just respect the water and be careful!

As for the UL-1, mine fell apart as well after a blow over. It's no doubt a race boat. Built lightweight and definitely not a basher! My pickle on the other hand is a floating pc of tupperware. Almost indestructable.

Longbull - We are going to register this year with NAMBA. Hope to see you out at Ford Field this year. Anyone been out there yet?

longballlumber
04-15-2010, 07:42 AM
Longbull - We are going to register this year with NAMBA. Hope to see you out at Ford Field this year. Anyone been out there yet?

Yes sir...

We will be out there this sunday for a club race. I will be there before on or before 8:00am, drivers meeting at 10:00am and start racing after that. Check out this link for the dates. Look me up when you get there.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=12506

Later
Mike Ball

LarrysDrifter
05-22-2010, 08:03 PM
What is a vacupickle?I cant find any pics of them anywhere.Are they still being sold?

Doug Smock
05-22-2010, 08:36 PM
What is a vacupickle?I cant find any pics of them anywhere.Are they still being sold?

They are still being sold.

http://vac-u-boat.com/Vac-U-Pickle.htm

Doug:beerchug:

I agree the UL-1 could be fixed. You shouldn't swim after toy boats, but if you do please wear a PFD. And the Vac-U-Pickle is one tough little boat.

dana
05-22-2010, 10:49 PM
this is awesome... i got a ton of public service announcments about swimming for my boats... being a poor guy i dont have money to blow on new ones if it sinks... so i will continue to swim. and no i cant put a $500 kayak on my honda civic.... life vest yeah maybe thats not a bad idea...but really,there are no such things as accidents...only fate

dana
05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
i should carry a can of great stuff foam and just spray a huge blob of it onto the ground then use that as my floatation device haha i could spray a quick circle for a life preserver ... j/k tho

BHChieftain
05-22-2010, 11:09 PM
this is awesome... i got a ton of public service announcments about swimming for my boats... being a poor guy i dont have money to blow on new ones if it sinks... so i will continue to swim. and no i cant put a $500 kayak on my honda civic.... life vest yeah maybe thats not a bad idea...but really,there are no such things as accidents...only fate

I just bought an inflatable two man boat with oars for 75 bucks at Big5. Cheap and safe insurance....

Chief

rchippie
05-22-2010, 11:24 PM
I only payed $100.00 for my 10ft aluminum jon boat . Thats what i use for a retrive boat when my rc boat is to far away for the old Tennis ball on a fishing pole :laugh:.