PDA

View Full Version : Turnigy vs aquastar

boater76
03-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Ok I'm looking for an esc for my cat. Don't know what to get either a Turnigy or Aquastar. What would you reccomend on experience with either?

Ken

steveo
03-30-2010, 10:12 PM
seakings are good and i think they are the same as the turnigy

Make-a-Wake
03-30-2010, 10:47 PM
They are very similar, both by Turnigy..............the Turnigy Marine's have 2 capacitors.....the aquastar 4...........the Turnigy Marine however has a higher burst rate of 240a on the 120a's and the aquastar only 150............ On my HK login the price is $59 on the 120a Aquastar and $49 on the Marine..........I use The Marine's personally.

BakedMopar
03-30-2010, 11:20 PM
Aquastar! Much beefier and made by HiFei.

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 01:00 AM
I use a aquastar 120 in my ul-1 on a 7xl and so far I like it alot. I plan on stacking up on these especially since I have the programing box.

ozzie-crawl
03-31-2010, 06:08 AM
on the HK site it shows the turnigy has better timing options with actual numbers shown
but the aquastar only gives low,middle,high,auto. is this rite or does it tell you the timing numbers ?

CornelP
03-31-2010, 07:15 AM
Not with the software.... and actually the same through the Tx. Another minus is the lvc: only 3.0V

Diesel6401
03-31-2010, 12:54 PM
Not with the software.... and actually the same through the Tx. Another minus is the lvc: only 3.0V

I changed it, it's so easy to do everything with the program box. The timing is just Auto low middle and high. I just set it too auto and the lvc can be changed to Low Voltage cutoff (Default 6V, 5.0/6.0/7.2/8.4/9.0/12.0/15.0/18.0V)

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10626&Product_Name=Turnigy_AquaStar_120A_Water_Cooled_ES C

CornelP
03-31-2010, 03:15 PM
Correct, this means you can only set it to 3.0V/cell, next step being 3.6V/cell (for 2S, at least). That's ok compared to others, but I would expect to see something like the old models where you can select 3.0, 3.2, 3.4 etc. Timing is the same: low means 0-15dgr, middle 5-20dgr, high 15-30dgr.

boater76
03-31-2010, 03:41 PM
Which program box did you use Diesel?

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 12:30 AM
Which program box did you use Diesel?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=10945

My aquastar took a crap on me today. Magic smoke after a wicked crash in my ul-1.

boater76
04-01-2010, 11:13 AM
Did the crash cause the failure of the esc?

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Did the crash cause the failure of the esc?

Yea, tube filled with water and fried the esc.

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:09 PM
They are very similar, both by Turnigy..............the Turnigy Marine's have 2 capacitors.....the aquastar 4...........the Turnigy Marine however has a higher burst rate of 240a on the 120a's and the aquastar only 150............ On my HK login the price is $59 on the 120a Aquastar and $49 on the Marine..........I use The Marine's personally.

What do you use to program the marine?

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:11 PM
Are the swordfish and aquastars the same esc? Ratings size even the program box looks the same and both made by HiFei.

Make-a-Wake
04-01-2010, 10:17 PM
What do you use to program the marine?

Its just a simple instruction manual with all the settings. You simply set by pulling the throttle trigger at particular times............1-4 beeps chooses the setting you want to control.........LVC, Cells, timing, and Running mode............... and then the next step is to select your chosen parameter for that setting..................i.e. 2.8v, 3.0v,3.2v etc........ for cutoff as an example.

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Its just a simple instruction manual with all the settings. You simply set by pulling the throttle trigger at particular times............1-4 beeps chooses the setting you want to control.........LVC, Cells, timing, and Running mode............... and then the next step is to select your chosen parameter for that setting..................i.e. 2.8v, 3.0v,3.2v etc........ for cutoff as an example.

I always go crazy listening for beeps lol, my A.D.D acts up... Curious if their was a card/box that works with it. I like the fact it has a higherburst rate than the aquastars.

Make-a-Wake
04-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I dont care for the beep deal either, but this one is very clear and easy to do..............heck, even i can do it!! I've darn near memorized the setiings............

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 10:31 PM
I dont care for the beep deal either, but this one is very clear and easy to do..............heck, even i can do it!! I've darn near memorized the setiings............

HAHAHA cool. When my esc fried I think the bec took a crap first then it smoked my rx. After the esc dried I tried pluggin it in to my program box and see if anything would happen and the box wouldn't turn on then the esc started smoking. You think the box is still ok seeing it didn't turn on? The only reason I would by another aquastar is cuz I have the box, but if it doesn't work their no reason for me to buy another one and I would swith to the marine.

BakedMopar
04-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Fqdawld has had three marines dump on him, two on plug in. I've had a castle dump on me. I also had a mystery dump. Bottom line is no one brand will be smoke free. Choose a straw and hopefully your ain't the short one.

BTW the turnigy/seakng marine works with the handheld box that HK recommend. You just need to download and print the marine face plate as it come with a different one.

Diesel6401
04-01-2010, 11:21 PM
Fqdawld has had three marines dump on him, two on plug in. I've had a castle dump on me. I also had a mystery dump. Bottom line is no one brand will be smoke free. Choose a straw and hopefully your ain't the short one.

BTW the turnigy/seakng marine works with the handheld box that HK recommend. You just need to download and print the marine face plate as it come with a different one.

I had good luck with my aquastar until the crash, like I said I just hope I didn't blow the program box seeing that HC is out of stock. Steve has a box for the swordfish which is a hifei, that's why I was curious if it would work with a aquastar seeing the esc seem the same and the swordfish box seems identical to my aquastar box.

Is this the what you mean for the marine? http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=7187

BakedMopar
04-01-2010, 11:38 PM
Yep. I have only bech tested my aquastar on the bench. It's actually back ups for my Hydras. They are nice though.

ozzie-crawl
04-02-2010, 01:10 AM
. Bottom line is no one brand will be smoke free. Choose a straw and hopefully your ain't the short one.

:iagree: pot luck some times, i have had good runs with mystery 200a but hear some guys blow on programing.
i brought a mystery 100 amp a couple of weeks ago for $24 Aus shipped to my door in 6 days from hong Kong.
its in my vs1,i added a cooling plate of a turnigy 120
its set at 15 deg timing for my scorpion out runner,have been prop testing so only short runs,last test was with a x642 and after just over a minute run time the caps on the esc were just under 40c (100f) and it was a 30c day.
not bad for a esc that cost me (minus shipping) less than $10 Aus

Flazip
04-11-2010, 09:44 AM
:help: I have a Aquastar 120 and I'm having problems just getting Tx( Spektrum, Futaba, or Tactic) to calibrate. I trying to run 2s lipo with Chilli Pepper 4400 kv motor., The Spektrum and Tactic had to recalibrate every time I turned it on. The old Futaba had to turn throttle trim down, turn it back up to get full speed.. Then the next problem started, cuts out after a couple secs running in the water, seems to run ok on bench.. I've attempted to reprogram with tx with no luck. Been trying different things off & on for a couple weeks.

All help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks Al

ozzie-crawl
04-11-2010, 09:52 AM
sounds like you need a programing box, it probably comes standard that low voltage cut off is for 3-4s. when your trying to arm it its seeing to lower voltage, this would also make it cut out under load in the water

blackcat26
04-11-2010, 11:13 AM
:help: I have a Aquastar 120 and I'm having problems just getting Tx( Spektrum, Futaba, or Tactic) to calibrate. I trying to run 2s lipo with Chilli Pepper 4400 kv motor., The Spektrum and Tactic had to recalibrate every time I turned it on. The old Futaba had to turn throttle trim down, turn it back up to get full speed.. Then the next problem started, cuts out after a couple secs running in the water, seems to run ok on bench.. I've attempted to reprogram with tx with no luck. Been trying different things off & on for a couple weeks.

My aquastar's seem to like to be calibrated upon startup also. I have to plug battery in then hold full throttle until after the three fast musical beeps then I release somewhere around after the 3rd or 4th slow beeps. From my experience you only need to do this once with an esc once but these seem to wanna go into program mode if you dont do it every time. I have a Turnigy k-force 150a esc that I like much better. Plug em in and run er! She has been soaking wet 2 or 3 times and is still ticking.

Flazip
04-11-2010, 12:07 PM
Just back from the pond. I calibrated ESC to Futaba, it seemed to work I thought I had programmed, with TX, the cut off to 6v. Run good on bench, but still cuts out in water.
Aquastar for sale cheap..I'll see what HK says first.

Thanks for the Help Al

m4a1usr
04-11-2010, 12:49 PM

Get a PiStix adapter and try it. I bet all of the problems go away.

John

BakedMopar
04-11-2010, 01:47 PM
I for one would get a program box or USB adapter and make sure your setting are correct. When you calibrate your esc let the throttle go during the four beeps instead of after. If not it will go into program mode and you will end up changing the lvc. I accadently did that and set mines to a different parameter which is probably letting your lvc kick in. Hence the cutting out.

CornelP
04-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I had a similar problem with mine, I have the USB linker. After calibrating the throttle, I plugged it in the PC and after that everything was ok. I have two runs on it, with a Feigao 12L on 4S, 46mm prop and it is barely warm when the cutoff kicks in. Love it (for now)...

ozzie-crawl
04-11-2010, 07:49 PM
hobby king suggests not to program with tx,not sure if there is a problem or they want you to buy programing box/link.
on another site it was suggested to disable the in built bec and run a separate rx pack and that fixes it

tiqueman
04-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Ive had much success w/ the Turnigy Marines and they are cake to program w/ the tx. No need for the box at all.

Himalaya
04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
Two real manufacturers behind them, HobbyWing for Turnigy-Marine ESC, Hifei for Turnigy-AquaStar.

Flazip
04-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks for all the info..

I figured out about releasing during the four beeps. I don't understand why I can't calibrate the Spektrum or Tactic, unless you do it every time.
Hopefully HK will restock the linker or program box soon.

Does anyone know of another place to purchase one of these items..? Maybe I'll email Hifei and see if they can help.

Thanks Al

BakedMopar
04-12-2010, 11:39 AM
I use a tactic with my cat. Didi you try to reversing the throttle switch? Give that a try if not I'm stompped.

boater76
04-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I got a 120amp Turnigy Marine with the box.

Flazip
04-14-2010, 07:14 AM
I will try to switch the Tactic and try that. Also HK just got a shipment of program boxes for the Aquastar, so I ordered one. of course it'll probably be 3 weeks before I get it.

Thanks for all the help and I'll keep trying to figure this out.. Al