PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me how to??

speedfreak
03-29-2010, 04:14 PM
i broke my stock prop completly in half and have a new one coming. just to be ready, how do i take off the shaft and put one the new prop. tanks

Grimracer
03-30-2010, 03:11 PM
If the prop is stubborn to remove place a dime on the end of the shaft and use it as a pad for your thumb.

If all that remains is the hub you might have to cut the hub off.

Grim

slyman
03-30-2010, 06:28 PM
First remove the nut that is on the end of the shaft next to the prop hub. Replace broken prob with new prop and put the nut back on the prop shaft.

Try using a small screwdriver between the drive dog and the old propeller hub if the remainder of the old prop is too tight to take off by hand. Make sure you line up the slots of the prop with the drive dog.

Brushless55
03-30-2010, 09:40 PM
Or you could just send me the Boat and I'll take care of it for you! :bounce:

speedfreak
03-30-2010, 11:08 PM
lol...i figured it out....just that it's so new and i'm new to this too that i wasn't sure to start taking it apart. can anyone tell me where to spray the wd-40 at? is it important to do so? thanks.

Grimracer
03-31-2010, 09:27 AM
Speed

start wrenching man!.. its fun. PLUS you have a great group of people here to help you out if you get lost.

WD-40 would be used to "Pickle the motor"..

First however it sounds like we might want to lube that shaft...

Follow the manual to lube the shaft.

To pickle the motor.

Loosen the flex coupler and slide back the shaft
remove the water lines from the water jacket
un plug the motor leads from the motor
using a 2.5mm allen wrench loosen and remove the two motor screws
Remove the motor and hold it over a garbage can
Spray WD-40, CRC 556 or Corrosion X into the motor (yep right inside the motor) and use a bunch.. also MAKE SURE you spray inside the water jacket to remove water from the jacket..

When done put her all back together!

Do this EVERY TIME YOU are done running for the day.. (for sure the shaft!)

Grim

Capt. Crash
03-31-2010, 09:37 AM
Do y'all actually do this pickle the motor deal? Seems like a lot of work and who wants to pull the motor after every day at the pond...not me. :tape:

I just remove the tubing on the in tube on the transom, blow the remaining nasty pond water out the system with my mouth, pull the shaft and relube and she has never failed me. She was one of the very first boats to hit the water back in Dec. 2008.

Crash

speedfreak
03-31-2010, 10:32 AM
thanks, that's what i've been doing is blowing in to that exhaust tube....

Grimracer
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
Cap.... me.. everytime..

I come from the IC crowd.. we HAVE to do this... Haivng said that its MUCH easer yanking a FE motor then an IC for pickling! Only takes a few min and Bingo.. your good to go next time.

Grim

photohoward1
03-31-2010, 01:06 PM
Unless you dunk the Motor don't bother. The shaft yes needs to be removed every few runs and at the end of the day. Motor no!

HT

Ctonez
03-31-2010, 01:15 PM
The "Snowman" has also suggested this maintenance routine. CorrosionX rules ALL!!!
I have never broken a shaft or replaced an SV motor because it was too used up.
I have run my SV in 3 race seasons and it still has the stock shaft/motor/esc that came with it in 2007. I just won 1st overall at our 1st club race last Sunday with the same boat.
I remove my shafts after a race day and spray with CorrosionX and leave them soaking in it until the next race weekend. I actually spray my motors once a season unless they get severely dunked or are in an outboard.
Thanks Grim and Brian!:rockon2:

Brushless55
03-31-2010, 08:36 PM
The "Snowman" has also suggested this maintenance routine. CorrosionX rules ALL!!!
I have never broken a shaft or replaced an SV motor because it was too used up.
I have run my SV in 3 race seasons and it still has the stock shaft/motor/esc that came with it in 2007. I just won 1st overall at our 1st club race last Sunday with the same boat.
I remove my shafts after a race day and spray with CorrosionX and leave them soaking in it until the next race weekend. I actually spray my motors once a season unless they get severely dunked or are in an outboard.
Thanks Grim and Brian!:rockon2:

Did you have any issues with the end bell on the SV motors?
I've had two different motors have the end bell come loose.. :confused2:
one was on the second run and my second motor durring the 6th run

Ctonez
03-31-2010, 11:27 PM
I use thrust bearings on all my racing setups, 4 of which are SV-motor powered. Cheap way to lengthen the life of your motors IME.:thumbup1:
I've pushed the endbell of my Pmono's Neu out a bit...CA and a clamp and it still rips water molecules apart.
I've seen some SV motors blow endbells awhile ago, but I thought they started pinning them or something - I think John(m4a1usr) might have some experience with that...I seem to recall he's had a few apart.
I will say that my oldest SV motor has about 1/4 inch shaft play without the thrust bearing, but it's still really fast compared to the other Spec boats I run against. I'll just keep the thrust bearing on and run the motor until it dies, but temps are still typically 80ish or less on everything after a race heat. That's in Spec SV, LSH, 1/10 scale and Offshore.:w00t: