PDA

View Full Version : AC or DC charger

BHChieftain
03-27-2010, 08:27 PM
Hi,
Lookin' for some advice on what type of charger to purchase. I'm planning to charge 4 seperate 2S1P packs...

I like the idea of an AC charger (either Hyperion AC/DC, or Bantam BC-6 AC/DC)since I don't need to deal with buying either a large AC power supply or an automotive 12v battery. Regarding Duo type chargers, they are literally twice the cost of a single AC charger so I figure if I want to charge 2 batteries at once I'd be better off buying 2 AC chargers.

Any particular reason why I would need a high wattage DC only charger vs. a 50W AC model?

Thanks
Chief

AndyKunz
03-27-2010, 08:44 PM
The higher the watts it can deliver, the faster you can charge your higher capacity/cell count batteries. The other side of the coin is that, if you get a DC-only, you need a battery that can deliver the current. You might want to get a small generator to keep that battery filled up.

A 50W AC model isn't going to be very much fun in your situation. A 4S pack is going to be about 17V (easy number to work with). 50W is going to limit you to about 3A. If you're charging 5000's, you're going to be looking at 90+ minute full charges. It only gets longer if you use bigger cells.

However, if most of your running is with one or two charges per pack per day, that may be just fine. You can charge the pack at home - who cares how long it takes? At the pond you can put it on a 50W charger (assuming it's AC/DC) and let it charge half the day. Not too much problem.

Another thing to look at is if a charger will provide more power in DC mode. This is very common, since the AC->DC conversion is usually where the 50W limit comes from.

One more point - do you even have AC at the pond? If not, you really want a DC or AC/DC charger.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Drag Boat Bob
03-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I own 2 of the Bantam BC-6 chargers due to the AC/DC capability. They continue to perform very well. However they are becoming outdated in capability. As the newer Lipo batteries can accept a 5c charge rate I wish they had a higher charge rate (only 5 amp max).

If you do not charge at the water, then this point is moot. As Andy said, who cares how long it takes at home, within reason that is...

BHChieftain
03-27-2010, 10:05 PM
Well, charge time at home still is a consideration, as I don't really want to be charging lipos through the night while I'm asleep....

What do folks generally use as power for their DC chargers?

-Chief

Jeepers
03-27-2010, 10:14 PM

-Chief

at the lake either a generator or a 12v deep cycle marine battery.

at home an ac/dc power supply.

FloatDaBoat
03-27-2010, 11:48 PM

-Chief

I use a 285 ampere Lawn Tractor battery - - much lighter to tote around than a full sized car battery.

BHChieftain
03-28-2010, 12:25 PM
If I have two separate 2S1P identical packs, it is a simple matter to charge them together in serial? (In that case, I'd definatly need more than a 50W charger)

-Chief

BHChieftain
03-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Ok, I just stumbled across the Bantam BC8DP which looks to be the best of both worlds-- AC/DC charger, with 120W AC/ 180W DC power... anybody have experience with this charger?

http://www.rcaccessory.com/bantame-stationbc8dpacdclipocharger.aspx

-Chief

mappo
03-28-2010, 06:49 PM
Hi,
Lookin' for some advice on what type of charger to purchase. I'm planning to charge 4 seperate 2S1P packs...

I like the idea of an AC charger (either Hyperion AC/DC, or Bantam BC-6 AC/DC)since I don't need to deal with buying either a large AC power supply or an automotive 12v battery. Regarding Duo type chargers, they are literally twice the cost of a single AC charger so I figure if I want to charge 2 batteries at once I'd be better off buying 2 AC chargers.

Any particular reason why I would need a high wattage DC only charger vs. a 50W AC model?

Thanks
Chief

Hey Guy get the Hyperion Duo 111 it charges dual lipo packs at 15 amps and all other battery types, and you can also upgrade the firmware easily :popcorn2:

BHChieftain
03-29-2010, 10:37 AM
Hey Guy get the Hyperion Duo 111 it charges dual lipo packs at 15 amps and all other battery types, and you can also upgrade the firmware easily :popcorn2:

I'd love to, but the planet seems to be backordered on hyperion DUOs... got any leads?

-Chief

Drag Boat Bob
03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
I'd love to, but the planet seems to be backordered on hyperion DUOs... got any leads?

-Chief

These guys allowed me to put one in my cart and did not state out of stock.

http://www.maxamps.com/EOS0615i-DUO3.htm#

These things do seem to be scarce.

mappo
03-29-2010, 07:51 PM
Hi,

Thanks
Chief
Hey James, try this link http://www.rclipos.com/Chargers.htm ..and use 4U10 and get 10% off. they do have it in stock.. or you can pm Steve on OSE about getting one.. :Peace_Sign:

BHChieftain
03-29-2010, 08:44 PM
Thanks for the leads, guys. I have PM'd Steve a few times on these and they are on backorder. I prefer to buy on this site, but I need a charger soon...

-Chief

BHChieftain
04-01-2010, 06:25 PM
Hi,
Ok, I ordered a hyperion Duo III (sorry Steve you didn't have these in stock...)

Looking for a fairly inexpensive power supply. Any thoughts on using this with it? This one is rated to 350watts:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-12V-DC-30A-350W-Regulated-Switching-Power-Supply-MW_W0QQitemZ170363194225QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Defa ultDomain_0?hash=item27aa700b71

Or will this one work-- note, I'll be charging 2 x 2S1P 5400mah packs, usually at 1C
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-92136

-Chief