PDA

View Full Version : Prather 40 "Deep Vee" FE conversion

PaiN KLR
03-26-2010, 07:52 PM
Sometimes I like doing crazy stuff just to do it!

This is a old Prather 40 Deep Vee that I built back in the 80's that ran a K&B 7.5 outboard. I resurrected it last year, and didn't like the nitro OB. So for giggles I picked up a rek 3.5 FE conversion kit . I put it on the boat with a standoff bracket I made, it runs a sv27 motor, and prop. I have a etti 150 esc , and 4900 rhino's 4s1p.

Its a bugger to tape up, but its fun to see run. GPS'ed at 34mph ...not on this video. Temps were all under 90 degrees. The hull is so light ...it feels lighter than the sv27. I got the cg a little too forward on the video. Don't even have trim tabs on it.

here is video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmuSH4nTyt8

hard to see on the low quality video, but you may notice the extra wide standoff. I originally mounted 2 rek outboards, twin sv27's etc.. It generated so much lift on the rear..it just nosed in the hull.

Larry

Rumdog
03-26-2010, 08:11 PM
Very cool! Runs much better than the setup sounds! That hull does look super light! What prop ya running?

PaiN KLR
03-27-2010, 09:59 AM
It just a stock 3blade sv27 plastic prop.

This was definitely a just see if you can do it, with as little as it takes.
I wish I ha video of the first runs I did last week. Very big chop on the little lake. This thing just cranked up onto the outboard, and seemed to just float in the air across the waves. It handled it very well.

I don't really care for the way an outboard handles on the the Mono. But it was the quickest way to get it into FE trim.

I love the hull...if for no more than sentimental reasons.

Debating on weather I will try to pick up some hardware and convert it to a inboard motor. The layup is so light I would have to reinforce the bottom, and likely the transom.

here is a video from last year when I resurected it...in nitro form, gives a better view of the boat. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMjYEsmin7o

Larry

Brushless55
03-28-2010, 12:44 AM
Very cool man, and I bet it will get better with a bigger prop..

tth
03-28-2010, 02:24 AM
Never would have imagined a SV27 setup would push a 40" hull. I guess the layup means a lot.

BTW great job!!!

befu
11-27-2010, 01:21 PM
Thank you for pointing out this thread.

so, could you get a total weight with and without the battery? I want to compare it to my 40" scarab for starters. i am wondering what I may be able to get out of my 40" scarab next summer if I start working on getting the drivetrain better.

Brian

TotalPackage
11-27-2010, 02:00 PM
its light fully loaded with 12 s mine was barely 7 pounds. bare its probably less than 3 pounds if that. The epoxyglass layout is light.

befu
11-27-2010, 03:39 PM
its light fully loaded with 12 s mine was barely 7 pounds. bare its probably less than 3 pounds if that. The epoxyglass layout is light.

Holy crap that is light! I thought my 40" hull was light! RTR without batteries it was 5lbs - 4 oz. I didn't think the prather hulls were that light. They are just basic hand laid up epoxy glass. My hull weighed in around 2.7 lbs without the hatch empty.

What battery capacity and motor were you running?

Brian

TotalPackage
11-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I was runining a kb 45 xl and 12s1p x645 fried my turnigy hv 80 but my good run was 6s and a x457 the hv 80 handled it no problem I think Ill end up with a 1717 6s and a prop between 42 and 50 mm. The 6 s setup was better cause the cg, weight and everything was just right I didnt need trim tabs.