PDA

View Full Version : Great stuff Foam For Hull

Jeff Wohlt
03-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Well, I was crazy enough to use some Great Stuff foam down the front of my China cat even after hearing people tore their hulls apart.

I even taped it together in case of too much expansion. Expanded very little and worked great. Nice and hard and did not even push the top of the hull front up.

Worked very well.

JPriami
09-14-2011, 06:42 PM
I mentioned this idea last year and everybody said it was no good (i hadnt heard of anyone doing it yet then). Now this year I see people doing it lol.
You need to get the blue can for windows and doors. Its a little less likely to bust your hull. And the trick is to not spray a lot of it in there at once. Because what happens is it will dry on the outside layers but not inside. So inside it will trap some foam that hasn't cured out yet. And when you get your boat outside in the heat that stuff will expand and bust the hull. Unless your quick to stab the foam to allow openings for whats trapped to escape ;)

ron1950
09-15-2011, 08:24 AM
anyone tryed the Expandable Marine Foam from kentec's home page? or is it just safer to use the pool noodles?

Fluid
09-15-2011, 10:25 AM
I tried a 'similar' foam several years ago in a sport hydro. It worked great - until it sat in the hot Texas sun. Instead of expanding furhter, it contracted, sucking in the boat's deck. I was able to cut the foam away from the deck and after a while the deck popped back up - mostly. I'll not use that product again - but it may not be the same as the generic foam Kintec sells. Who can tell without labels?

http://i52.tinypic.com/11tlgk1.jpg

http://i55.tinypic.com/idu154.jpg

martin
09-15-2011, 02:33 PM
I still prefer pool noodles as its easier to repair a pranged boat which ive had to a few times. Martin.

RandyatBBY
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM
I only use new expanding foam in building open parts in the mold (Sponsons). It is old past two months on the shelf, it will shrink in the sun if it is old when mixed. I would never put it in a hull. If part A has a film on it it too old.

Brushless55
09-16-2011, 12:38 PM
The trick I tried once on a bare SV hull was this...
Fill the area you want about 25-35%, then turn on the shower as hot as you can and shut the door to get as much steam in the bathroom as possible..
Shut everything off, set the hull in the bath tub, shut the bathroom door and let the hull set for an hour in the steam soaked room...
The steam expands the foam to about 80-90% full and makes it super light and good to go..

JPriami
09-16-2011, 04:05 PM
That's interesting trick brushless

Basstronics
09-24-2011, 11:21 AM
I went with the stuff from Kintec as I knew I didnt need enough to do 3-4 hulls.

I ended up pouring it in two batches. The first was 1 Oz each part to get a better understanding on how much expansion I would get. The second pour was basically what was left, evened off. Jan says there is 3 Ozs in each part. I came up with about 2.5 Oz in total. I bet the rest was still in the bottles... Theres a working time with this stuff so time is of the essence.

In the end it was enough to fill the pursuit up to where the hatch starts. The stuff is on the heavy side. I followed in Brushless steps and put it in the bathroom with the shower going hot. I also had a small heater in there to keep it right around 70. I dont think I seen a 30x expansion rate. Hard to calculate cubic inches in the hull... BUt highly doubt 30x. Maybe 15~20x

My only disappointment is in the weight. I figured it would be lighter, but Im sure its the same weight as the original liquid. I hope it dont throw my CG off to bad where I cant recover.

Brushless55
09-24-2011, 12:38 PM
I went with the stuff from Kintec as I knew I didnt need enough to do 3-4 hulls.

I ended up pouring it in two batches. The first was 1 Oz each part to get a better understanding on how much expansion I would get. The second pour was basically what was left, evened off. Jan says there is 3 Ozs in each part. I came up with about 2.5 Oz in total. I bet the rest was still in the bottles... Theres a working time with this stuff so time is of the essence.

In the end it was enough to fill the pursuit up to where the hatch starts. The stuff is on the heavy side. I followed in Brushless steps and put it in the bathroom with the shower going hot. I also had a small heater in there to keep it right around 70. I dont think I seen a 30x expansion rate. Hard to calculate cubic inches in the hull... BUt highly doubt 30x. Maybe 15~20x

My only disappointment is in the weight. I figured it would be lighter, but Im sure its the same weight as the original liquid. I hope it dont throw my CG off to bad where I cant recover.

hey bro, I was not talking about a two part foam.. :cool2:
this thread was about foam in a can used around doors and windows...
my trick works awesome, makes the hull stronger, about 200-300% expansion, and comes out very very light!! :thumbup1:

Basstronics
09-24-2011, 02:38 PM
Well the same trick applies to this foam I think too.

I know its good for upto 80f when you mix it. Said something about moderate humidity, so I figured some shower steam would work.