PDA

View Full Version : Darin's 19T Spec N2-Hydro...

Darin Jordan
09-19-2007, 08:51 PM
Just thought some here might like to see my latest project (one of two I have going at the moment... the other being the Top Speed 2 conversion...)...

We have an Spec 19T N2-Hydro class in our club... Riggers/Hydros with fixed 24-degree ROAR 19T motor (Super Stock??) and 2S Lipos...

Well tuned ones get into the low 40's in oval trim and they are really TIGHT racing... A little more "UMPH" than the NAMBA N1-Hydro, without the sheer speed and break-neck cornering of an all-out N2-Hydro... MUCH less exspensive as well...

I started this on Saturday, and this is where it is today, so they are a pretty easy and quick build as well... Just have to pay attention to details...

I'll post more once it's further along... Going to mostly leave this one clear wood, but will add a little touch of the red and green, just to make it feel at home with my fleet! Gotta keep it LIGHT though!

Questions and comments welcome! If you haven't built a rigger, you should! They're fun to do... and they are the F1 car of RC boat racing to boot!

SJFE
09-19-2007, 09:31 PM
Nice man. Perfect choice in motor. Hey um...do you ever sleep????? LOL

C.Smock
09-19-2007, 10:43 PM
AWESOME!!! looks good !!! how big is it? cant wait to see the finished product!!!!

kck741
10-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Darin,

How long is you rigger?Is it rated for 12 nimh cells?Im looking to build one of my own and run it on a brushed set-up I dont have any Lipos thats why I was asking.want to get a rigger to run with my stock SV27.

Thanks
Kris

Darin Jordan
10-02-2007, 09:29 PM
Darin,

How long is you rigger?Is it rated for 12 nimh cells?

The tub is 22" long... it's 2" wide inside... definately NOT a 12-cell rigger... unless you want to stuff 12 2/3A cells or something like that...

It's designed for a low power (19-turn) motor on 2S1P Lipos...

The basic design can be scaled up, but the sponsons for something more powerful are considerably different in geometry...

I should have some more pics soon... I'm just getting the parts finish sanded so I can put the final finish on everything, then assemble it...

kck741
10-03-2007, 05:21 PM
Thanks Darin,

was thinking of building a rigger for a while for my son looking for a lower speeds like 20-25,

Darin Jordan
10-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Put the final touches on the sealing and finish work over the last couple of days... Glued in the boom assemblies last night and just waiting for them to fully cure before I start final assembly...

So far... it's turning out great! We definately get better at this stuff with practice!

andym
10-06-2007, 07:07 AM
Nice work mate, that looks the goods and should rip on the water. Where are the plans avalible ?

Steven Vaccaro
10-06-2007, 07:36 AM
Darin nice build. Are there any kits that are available any longer for competitive riggers?

kck741
10-06-2007, 08:36 AM
Looks good

Darin Jordan
11-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Hey Guys... Finally have it finished!

Here are the final pics... Weight with 3300mah PolyRC 20C 2S1P Lipo and completely ready to put in the water is 1lbs 15oz... Not too bad... Hopefully will take it out for some testing in a week or so...

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2001.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2003.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2004.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2005.jpg

Darin Jordan
11-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Here are a few more pics:

http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2006.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2007.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2009.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~djjordan/RC/Spec_19T_Rigger_2010.jpg

kck741
11-04-2007, 07:28 PM
looks great what did you seal the exterior wood with

Darin Jordan
11-04-2007, 08:53 PM
looks great what did you seal the exterior wood with

Thanks... It's thinned MAS Flag epoxy (medium) on the exterior of the nose, transome, and sponsons, then about 4-coats of Krylon Crystal Clear, sanded with 600 grit, them the Krylon paint added, followed by two more coats of Krylon Crystal Clear, sanded with 1000 grit, then a coat of Duplicolor Clear Gloss Top-Coat...

ace028
11-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Looks nice, defiantly need a video. Where do you get your CF?

Darin Jordan
11-04-2007, 11:40 PM
The CF I have is from a previous purchase from Graphite Eligance... but they've been on "vacation" for about a year now... I think you can get graphite sheets from McMaster-Carr, as well as a couple of other places...

deestingray
11-05-2007, 03:39 AM
Darin,

That is a lovely looking build there, I am digging it for sure. I bet it would feel like a bit of an "old skool" boat, using the brushed motors and alike. I have a question though, what kind of amperage are you guys pulling in these and what sized props do you use? My question because I have a 21 turn lying around doing nothing that I was going to put into a 20inch shovelnose.

andym
11-05-2007, 04:29 AM
Darin mate is that a scratch build or kit? Looks like a lot of laughs for cheap. Well done on the nice build. Oh by the way you should try 5s 7xl and x637 on your TP2, cant turn but straight line is a blast!

Darin Jordan
11-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Darin mate is that a scratch build or kit? Looks like a lot of laughs for cheap. Well done on the nice build. Oh by the way you should try 5s 7xl and x637 on your TP2, cant turn but straight line is a blast!

Andy,

It's kind of a "scratch built kit"... Brian Buaas designed it, and cut out all the main formers for a bunch of us in the club... Then the decking, motor mount, transom, nose-pieces, and all of the carbon reinforcing, etc., was all done by me.. They are a lot of fun... These ones are VERY lightweight and somewhat flimsy... they'd explode on impact if Brushless powered, but the 19-Turn setup with a light battery and such seems to work well... Just a fun little rigger spec-class that's very easy on the pocketbook...

Not sure what kind of amps we're pulling... I suspection not much over 30-40... Only the motor gets warm, and it's only getting to 130-140 after a run using a de-tounged X632...

As for the TS-2... I haven't tried anything new on there... In fact... I have the second one back on the bench now and it's getting a MAJOR overhaul the the sponson ride-pads... It won't look much like a TS-2 there when I'm done! ;)

Also, on the tunnel front... I have a 3.5 WoodStuff 28.5" hull on the way that I got from a guy on International Waters... And I'm also working on getting another 3.5 hull that will be VERY special from an old aquaintence who used to race here but moved away.... If I can get THAT one... I think we'll see a VERY fast FE tunnel here in the near future! I'll keep you informed... ;)

Darin Jordan
02-16-2012, 10:41 AM
It's BACK!

I pulled this boat back down off the shelf, and have decided to try something with it.

Since building this, it's been through quite a few different configurations. The final setup was using a brushless power system on 1S for M2-Hydro 2-Lap duty. The built configuration was damaged during an attempt when I clipped a buoy and broke off the sponsons.

SO... I've decided to take the set of JAE style sponsons I have had built for quite some time, but never used, and adapt them to this hull. It will look similar to the configuration in the attached picture, which is my current N1-Hydro SAW boat. I originally built these JAE sponsons for that tub, but never used them after making some SAW specific sponsons.

Power system for the new setup is going to be an N2 Hydro power system, sort-of... :cool2:

I've already made some "adjustments" to the sponsons to make them work better for oval racing, and am currently looking for a suitable turn-fin for this type of sponson/boat.

I've also dug out an old set of Fuller's Crumb-Grabber hardware that I'm mounting up. I'll get some pics and post them as soon as I get them uploaded...

We'll see how it works out, but it'll be better than just having it hanging on the wall! ;)

cjs
02-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Darin,

Can you give us some details on your strut/driveline setup? Are there bushings or bearings in the strut?

-Chris

Darin Jordan
02-16-2012, 01:10 PM
Darin,

Can you give us some details on your strut/driveline setup? Are there bushings or bearings in the strut?

-Chris

1/16" Wire drive... brass stuffing tube JUST through the hull (exposed wire back to the strut)... Fuller's 6-8 cell sized strut... Two different struts, depending on the prop I prefer to run... Octura lead-teflon bushings for 3/16" stub... Boca Ceramic/Stainless bearings for the 1/8" stub. The nose piece has been removed from the strut and I made my own aluminum cone pieces that capture the front of the stub-shaft at the strut.

With the power system I'm looking at running, I'll likely be spinning a 1/8" stub and 1/8" ID props... (32-35mm)...

cjs
02-16-2012, 01:22 PM
Is the stuffing tube just large enough for the 1/16" wire (1/16" ID stuffing tube) or is it larger? I am thinking a similar setup will work well for micros.
-Chris

Darin Jordan
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
It's a little larger... I don't recall the exact size. I'll try to measure it when I get home.... I use a piece of fuel-tubing inside the hull to seal the wire, but I know that the tubing does fit rather closely. I THINK it's 3/32" O.D., .014" wall thickness tubing, which would have an ID of .06575... I'll try to find out for sure when I get home tonight.

Darin Jordan
02-18-2012, 01:27 PM
OK... ready for final setup and trim...

I replaced the previous hardware (a combination of fullers and home-made) with a complete Fuller's/Dick Crowe "Crumb-Grabber" setup that I had laying around. I needed to move the rudder to the right side, and this was a very easy way to make that happen. Reversed the servo mounting to complete this.

New sponsons are all mounted as well. Overall length is right about 25".

I fabbed up the turn fin last night from some 7075 .060" aluminimum sheet. It's essentially the JAE .12G turn fin (Thanks for the pattern, Tyler!)

I also have a ride-pad that fits on this boat. I haven't been using it in the previous configuration (This hull with the old sponsons is the current NAMBA 2-Lap M2-Hydro record holder), but we'll see if it needs it with this new setup.

Next step is to install a power system and do the final setup on the bench, then go get it wet!

Made the sponsons Florescent Orange so it'll be easier to see amonst the spray and rooster-tails of all of the much FASTER and larger boats I'll be competiting against! :blink:'

If I can find a couple more of them, the rudder will be getting replaced with a Fuller's/Hughey Stainless blade rudder. I don't have anymore at this point... but hopefully will find a couple more soon.