PDA

View Full Version : March 20th Puget Sound Model Boat Club NAMBA 2-Lap

Darin Jordan
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
We had PERFECT weather today for the Puget Sound Model Boat Club's NAMBA sanctioned 2-Lap event. Sunny skies, 65+ degrees... very little wind, if any, almost all day...

I played around with some of the NAMBA 2-Lap FE records that already existed, and established a couple that hadn't been recorded yet.

THANK YOU to the PSMBC, and especially Eric Bourlet, Jerry Dunlap, and Mike Hughes, for all your hard work running the event today.

For those of you who have never done one of these... WHY NOT? ;)

Here are the FE records that were broken/established today:

M2-Mono - No Previous - New Record: 54.75
M2-Hydro - Previously 52.232 - New Record: 44.47
N1-Mono - Previously 56.08 - New Record: 53.09
N1-Hydro - Previously 55.359 - New Record: 41.09
N2-Mono - Previously 50.639 - New Record: 32.44
N2-Offshore - No Previous - New Record: 35.72
P-OPC - No Previous - New Record: 29.88

I tried to go after the 1/10th Scale Modern record (currently 30.91) and got down to around 33-seconds, but my 3-year old HiMax finally let go. It was late in the day, so I didn't bother to try again.

Next step is to ship my N1-Mono and N1-Hydro down to Brian Buaas in California next week, where he is going to see what they can do in the SAW event down there. Not sure about the Mono, but I expect some interesting numbers from the Hydro...

Ub Hauled
03-21-2010, 02:40 AM
Darin, what records did you better?
I see the M2 hydro is almost 10 seconds better!!! Good deal!

Darin Jordan
03-21-2010, 12:10 PM
Darin, what records did you better?
I see the M2 hydro is almost 10 seconds better!!! Good deal!

I improved:
N1-Mono from 56.08 to 53.09
N1-Hydro from 55.359 to 41.09
N2-Mono from 50.639 to 32.44
M2-Hydro from 52.232 to 44.47

I was the only FE guy there, so all the rest were done by me as well.

N2 and the P-OPC times are VERY improvable, but at least there are some targets now for people to go after. Both were set using standard heat-racing setups.

I can get more out of the M2-Mono as well. I ran it a total of 5-laps for two attempts, and the motor was only 116-degrees with no cooling, so it could easily be pushed further.

I think there is more in N1-Mono as well. My WildThing may not be the right hull for speed attempts, although I think it's a fantastic heat racing hull.

There is another 2-Lap in November, so we'll gear up and try again then.

Ctonez
03-21-2010, 02:10 PM
BIG CONGRATS Darin!!!!
Those little boats are very special and cool. I'm glad your work paid-off!

cheers,
-Corey

AndyKunz
03-22-2010, 11:29 AM
Congrats, Darin! So tell us what you had in the boats. I know you were talking about a couple different options for motors and batteries.

Andy

Darin Jordan
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Congrats, Darin! So tell us what you had in the boats. I know you were talking about a couple different options for motors and batteries.

Andy

M2-Mono and M2-Hydro were both powered by a Hughey 10x3 motor, RC-Hydros ESC, and SMC 4600 NiMH packs.

M2-Mono was a Maus Microbullet with a mix of Fullers hardware, and my own. prop was a "special" X632. There is WAY more that can be done with this setup. Motor temps after 5-consecutive laps was only 116. Was on a tight schedule so didn't have time to make any further attempts. I will next time around.

M2-Hydro as a Raptor 19T Spec hull with modified sponsons. Again a mix of Fullers and My own hardware. Same power system. Prop was a "Buaas" V935/3. Again, only made one attempt. Two laps and in. Had trouble with the hull handling all day, so made some radical changes at the end of the day, and broke the record. This one too will be tweaked a bit for the next time around because there is certainly more there.

N1-Mono - My 22" WildThing... Losi Xcelorin 17.5T motor, some "special" hardware :spy:, Barracuda 80 ESC, Prop was a tweaked 36x55 ABC/Grim prop. Neu 2100mah 2S2P (2-packs in parallel).

N1-Hydro - Raptor N1 hull... Losi Xcelorin 17.5T motor, some "special" hardware :spy:, Barracuda 80 ESC, Prop was the "Buaas" V935/3. Neu 2100 mah 2S1P.

N2-Mono and Offshore - Dark Horse 26" Mono, Neu 1515 0.5Y, Hydra 240 ESC, Fullers hardware, Thunderpower ProPower 40C 5000 2S2P, Octura Y537/3

P-OPC - Tommy Lee/Rod Geraghty Custom hull, Losi Xcelorin 1/8th Scale 2100KV motor, Lawless lower with custom OS Max mounting and stub shaft, Hydra 240 ESC, ThunderPower 45C ProPower 3800mah 4S1P, Octura X440/3 prop.

Darin Jordan
03-22-2010, 12:01 PM
Here are some pics of the hulls... From the left: OPC, N1-Mono, M2-Hydro, M2-Mono, N1-Hydro

N2-Mono not shown...

AndyKunz
03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Looks like "Buass" is the common denominator :biggrin:

Andy

Darin Jordan
03-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Looks like "Buass" is the common denominator :biggrin:

Andy

Never hurts to be mentored by one of the best.

Now, if I could have just had Doug Twaits, Jr. talking in my ear while I was actually doing the laps, I'd have really done something there!

No doubt, that Brian's input and assistance was invaluable in many of these records being attained.

Will be fun to see what he can do with the two N1 boats this weekend in LA! :cool2:

RaceMechaniX
03-23-2010, 12:06 PM
Congrats Darin,

I'd say that was a pretty fruitfull weekend of records for you. Were any other non-FE records set? Some day you'll have to come down to the SAW's.

Tyler

Darin Jordan
03-23-2010, 12:28 PM
Congrats Darin,

I'd say that was a pretty fruitfull weekend of records for you. Were any other non-FE records set? Some day you'll have to come down to the SAW's.

Tyler

Tyler, I will try to get the whole list, but from what little I was able to watch (had my head down at my workbench most of the day...), only a couple of obscure records... like "Open Gas", and I think Jerry Dunlap did set a "B-Outboard Mono" time...

I'm going to aim for a SAW down there later this year, as well as a 2-Lap, if they have one. Look for Brian to be running my two N1 boats there this coming weekend. Can't wait to hear what he can do with them!

RaceMechaniX
03-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Darin,

"Open Gas" would be an obscure record as it doesn't exist on the national level :thumbup:

Our 2-lap is scheduled July 31-August 1 and other SAW event October 23-24.

Hope to see you down there with your rebuilt p-mono.

Tyler

Darin Jordan
03-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Hope to see you down there with your rebuilt p-mono.

Tyler

I'm working on that one... The hull itself is being turned into a plug, with some minor changes to the hull itself, and a much different hatch arrangement.

We'll have to see where that ends up. Lots of projects, very little time!

You laid down a hell of a time, however, so it's going to take some real driving to be able to match that.

Put together an N2-Mono... those times I put down should be pretty easy to eclipse for someone with a good Delta Force setup. :)

RaceMechaniX
03-23-2010, 01:57 PM
Put together an N2-Mono... those times I put down should be pretty easy to eclipse for someone with a good Delta Force setup. :)

Might have to build one of those. For now I have the S/T offshore Cat to play with and I need to finish my S/T open rigger.

Tyler