PDA

View Full Version : hobby city boat

rchippie
03-20-2010, 10:54 PM
what do you think about this .

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=11240

sailr
03-20-2010, 10:59 PM
only 9" wide. Ain't gonna turn worth a damn. I've been negotiating with the manufacturer to bring these in but after seeing the HK price, forget it. That's less than my cost with shipping.

Anybody wants one? Order it from HK.

rchippie
03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
My buddy pointed it out to me. I think i would rather have a tunnel hull anyways.

m4a1usr
03-20-2010, 11:12 PM
41 inches long but just 9.6 inches wide does seem odd. That is a pretty scheme though. I wonder what shipping is for it to the USA?

John

Jeepers
03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
shipping was $46.00 when I checked.

ozzie-crawl
03-20-2010, 11:22 PM
only 9" wide. Ain't gonna turn worth a damn. I've been negotiating with the manufacturer to bring these in but after seeing the HK price, forget it. That's less than my cost with shipping.

Anybody wants one? Order it from HK.

:iagree: not going to be much of a oval boat.
maybe a good entry level
to bad they didnt send you one sailer just so you could see what its like.
dont see why the manufacturer cant sell to you for less that what HK sells them for that sucks

bwells
03-20-2010, 11:46 PM
A 41" boat with a 2075 K/V motor seems like it would need 6S to get in the 40's, is this true? It sure is pretty though

Jeepers
03-21-2010, 03:20 AM
:iagree: not going to be much of a oval boat.
maybe a good entry level
to bad they didnt send you one sailer just so you could see what its like.
dont see why the manufacturer cant sell to you for less that what HK sells them for that sucks

I would bet its because HK can order huge quantities and sailr could not........... I am probably wrong though.

Mel279
03-21-2010, 03:26 AM
rchippie...I'll just put the pics here

Genesis Offshore Brushless RC Twin Hull (1045mm)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/catalog/1122.jpg

Piranha 600 Brushless V-Hull R/C Boat (670mm)
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/catalog/1118.jpg
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/catalog/1118-6.jpg

I like the mono, does it handle well in choppy water with a stepped hull?

Steven Vaccaro
03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
I have a sample boat. It came in with a damaged transom and stuffing tube. I was going to sell them also. But I'm in the same boat as Jim. It just isnt worth it.

bwells
03-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Would this boat work with a Faigao 12- 13xl on 6s? 219 plus 46 shipping plus 70 for motor and 80 for tx/rx and 20 for servo puts it at about 435 for a 41" boat. Would this be a good boat or is the narrow width (9") too much to overcome and makes it a loser from the get go?

Rumdog
03-21-2010, 03:39 PM
people seem to be being very critical of the width. It all depends on what you want your boat to do. Some guys spend HUGE bucks on MHZ or HPR hulls with similar dimensions. This could be a great hull for handling some chop and going REALLY fast in a straight line. I think if going Feigao, you may want at least a 580L.

bwells
03-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Ouch, that just bumped it up another 50 bucks. Just dreaming though. By the way, is this boat plumbed wrong, I thought the ESC gets the water first, not the motor.

Rumdog
03-21-2010, 04:24 PM
looks ok to me. esc, to motor mount to motor then out.

crabstick
03-21-2010, 06:37 PM
people seem to be being very critical of the width. It all depends on what you want your boat to do. Some guys spend HUGE bucks on MHZ or HPR hulls with similar dimensions. This could be a great hull for handling some chop and going REALLY fast in a straight line. I think if going Feigao, you may want at least a 580L.

I was thinking the same, Its from China, instantly a lot of people are going to hate on it cause its not made in the US of A. Personally I like it, It would probably make a good SAW boat with the narrow tunnel.

I just hope more and more boat like this come out of china, sooner or later there will be a real good one!

bwells
03-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Ahh, I see motor to motor mount then ESC then out. edit Yep you are right, did not see the tube at the top of the picture, Thanks

NativePaul
03-21-2010, 10:21 PM
Why the thumbs down thread symbol, is it a splash of someone else's design?

I would be the fist one to admit that I like to run ovals so its not the hull for me, but there do seem to be a lot of people that prefer running up and down the lake fast with a scale looking boat and this boat does look like it would fit that bill to me, and cheaper than many of the alternatives.

tiqueman
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
I think it looks great, may not handle the oval course well, but for a sport boat, it could be some fun. When I have the finances to throw, I will be checking one out. As said above, its somewhat similar to the HPR and MHZ hulls, in dimension, and for A LOT less coin. And maybe something the wifey can run and not have to say "but why do I get the small boats and you get all the big ones?"

bwells
03-21-2010, 10:37 PM
Have not noticed a "thumbs down" symbol in any of the previous posts. Personally, I am wondering if this boat can be made to work for under 500 bucks. Only sport boating, no race stuff or tight ovals. I really like the size.

tiqueman
03-21-2010, 10:40 PM
Id say that it could be a sport boat. Cant be any worse than a BJ26 :sarcasm1:

oh and for under 5 bills, Id say thats a pretty safe bet. I dont see any records being broke or serious "wow" factors ( I could be wrong) but I as well love the size and the look

Brushless55
03-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I for one like this boat specially for the price, it could allow many more to get into this hobby..
and the looks of it are cool to

crabstick
03-21-2010, 11:25 PM
if they offer it as a bare hull id definitely get one

tiqueman
03-21-2010, 11:30 PM
For 219 bux... strip the components out and do what you want. Youll pay about that for that size hull empty.. at least thats how Im kinda lookin at it.?.? Then you can put the hrdwr on something else

Alfa Spirit
03-21-2010, 11:32 PM
The hull looks nice, but what' s that stock setup? :thumbsdown:

If they sale only the hull may be I' ll be interested to build a twin motor. Here' s an other picture

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/1220/temp105.jpg

Brushless55
03-21-2010, 11:42 PM
It really is sweet looking! :thumbup1:

rchippie
03-21-2010, 11:56 PM
Why the thumbs down thread symbol, is it a splash of someone else's design?

I would be the fist one to admit that I like to run ovals so its not the hull for me, but there do seem to be a lot of people that prefer running up and down the lake fast with a scale looking boat and this boat does look like it would fit that bill to me, and cheaper than many of the alternatives.

That was a mistake . I did not realize it was there untill the thread posted . I dont have enough knowledge on rc boats to say what is good or bad :laugh:.

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 12:01 AM
Yes it is.... very sweet!

Its got HOR racing on it. I wonder if HOR is going to start selling it as well. That may be your chance of an empty hull. But if they sell the 32 for $103 (ebay), if this goes even at 150... your still better off buying the ARTR for the extra parts!

Diesel6401
03-22-2010, 12:04 AM
I def looking into this boat. I think it looks cool and could fun, maybe a 580l down the road like mention above.

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 12:11 AM
I like your style D! :beerchug:

crabstick
03-22-2010, 01:06 AM
i say bare hull as it may be a little cheaper for shipping, and i probably would not use any of the hardware. Plus I have enough stuff lying around im never going to use :rofl:

Anyhoo who else thinks it looks like a Mystic ?

I think it would be an ok SAW project boat, the ridepads are the same design as my Arrowshark Fighter 53" before I modded them. I agree it wont turn well but by the characteristics of my fighter and a couple of narrow tunnel scratch builds i have built i would say it would make a good wee saw boat.

VooDuuChild
03-22-2010, 02:12 AM
Sexy
Sexy
Sexy

This one goes for the trifecta!

RcBum
03-22-2010, 04:55 AM
can't be shipped to NZ :ThumbsDown01: that sucks

crabstick
03-22-2010, 05:01 AM
can't be shipped to NZ :ThumbsDown01: that sucks

Maybe you haven't been with hk long enough, i can ship to NZ for $41

RcBum
03-22-2010, 05:54 AM
Maybe you haven't been with hk long enough, i can ship to NZ for $41

Lol have an account for 4 1/2 years it worked this time
54.89 EMS
41.46 Air mail

T.S.Davis
03-22-2010, 08:19 AM
Nice looking ride. Probably wont turn but who cares? Not every rc boat is an oval boat. It would be fun to go straight with. Ever see one of those big Bat boats turn? Not worth a crap but go'n straight!.......weeeeeeeeee!

Does anyone know of a US builder that makes anything like it? I don't.

ozzie-crawl
03-22-2010, 08:31 AM
i dont think people are crapping on it by saying its narrow and wont do so well on oval, not everyone wants to race or run oval, but i think a lot of o.s.e forum members are more performance- race orientated than say those on rcu and such that seem more into rtr type boats.
dont get me wrong o.s.e has separate sections for rtr type boats so keeps a lot of that of the general and boat building threads.
it is a nice looking hull and great price i can see some guys on here modding them up and making a decent performer out of it

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 08:36 AM
:rofl: Nice Av Ozzie!

ozzie-crawl
03-22-2010, 08:43 AM
thanks got some better ones but may get in trouble if i use them :w00t:

Brod
03-22-2010, 10:44 AM
Looks great,better size than the HOR cat,wish i'd have seen this before i bought mine:doh:

Surely the painted hull alone is worth the price.
Cant find no more similar.

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 10:56 AM
Looks great,better size than the HOR cat,wish i'd have seen this before i bought mine:doh:

Surely the painted hull alone is worth the price.
Cant find no more similar.

HOR cats seem to go rather quickly in the swap shop. You still have the chance! Then you can tell us how she performs :smile:

Brushless55
03-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Maybe this could be my SAW boat?
I have yet to build a saw type boat, and this could be it...

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 11:12 AM
I know they can take a beating.. but Im afraid to build my HPR as a saw boat because if I ruin it... thats it, cant replace it. That being said, I think this could be a good solution. Make it a screamer, and if you lose the hull in a blow over or fire etc... Your hull replacement w/ motor esc and drive hrdwr, from stock) is.. well, the rudder for an HPR

I think if/ when I get my hands on one, it will become a saw type boat. I think its a great idea!

Brod
03-22-2010, 12:10 PM
I know they can take a beating.. but Im afraid to build my HPR as a saw boat because if I ruin it... thats it, cant replace it. That being said, I think this could be a good solution. Make it a screamer, and if you lose the hull in a blow over or fire etc... Your hull replacement w/ motor esc and drive hrdwr, from stock) is.. well, the rudder for an HPR

I think if/ when I get my hands on one, it will become a saw type boat. I think its a great idea!

go on,talk yourself into one.lol.

after looking at the measurements,its only 1" wider than my HOR cat,maybe later on this summer for me.

tiqueman
03-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Oh I already have.. just cant pull the trigger financially for a while.

ozzie-crawl
03-24-2010, 05:31 AM
wow not one sold but its got reviews (okay comments in the wrong area) but apparently for real fast speed run 6s, hmm 46,000 rpm
:flashfire::flashfire::flashfire::flashfire: