PDA

View Full Version : Miss vegas 55 mph +

wolf IV
03-20-2010, 10:42 PM
I BUILT THIS TO RACE PROPER CHOPPER. ITS GOT A UNRELEASED 2200 KV MOTOR (FAN COOLED!!) IN IT COURTESY OF JOE (QUESTEK) /200 AMP ESC WATER/FAN COOLED AND WATERPROOF C/F REINFORCED RUNNING ON X2 2560MAH 40-50C TURNIGY'S WITH AN M445 S/B. I HIT 55.1 MPH ON PREVIOUS RUN AND THE GPS WASN'T RECEIVING SIGNAL ON THIS RUN BUT IT WAS MUCH FASTER SO MY GUESS IS LOW 60'S .. BUT.... I LOST SIGNAL AND IT RAN INTO THE CONCRETE WALL AND TOTALLED THE HULL...:crying: ENJOY !!! ILL BUILD ANOTHER THIS WEEK, SAME SET UP.. HERES A PIC OF ONE OF THE PREVIOUS RUNS WHERE I FORGOT TO TIGHTEN THE STRUT AND LOST SOME SPEED :doh:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqrTA4rsar4

m4a1usr
03-20-2010, 11:01 PM
That bad boy was hauling the mail. Nice off the line accel too. Into a wall? Oh the agony!

John

FE Wannabe
03-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey Josh,

I guess I left a little too soon for the carnage! Sorry to hear about the crash, I know you had a lot of time in that hull. It was really hauling the mail when I saw it. Good thing you've got another one in transit.
Had a great time today with you, Joe and Rick. Joe is very gracious letting us use his awesome lake front home.
Hopefully, see you next weekend at Legg Lake for the SAWS.
Brad

wolf IV
03-21-2010, 12:09 AM
:swear::frusty::nopity: MAN I CANT TELL YOU GUYS HOW CLOSE I WAS TO JUST GIVING UP ON BOATS... SOOOO FRUSTRATING TO PUT HRS AND HRS INTO SOMETHING TO HAVE THE UNKNOWN FAIL AND RUIN ALL THAT BEAUTY... BUT LIVE AND LEARN!!!!! I ALWAYS TELL MY BOYS "NOTHING GOOD IN LIFE IS EASY"... SOO ILL BUILD ANOTHER EVEN BETTER:) OH AND FASTER...

domwilson
03-21-2010, 12:34 AM
What radio were you using?

wolf IV
03-21-2010, 01:23 AM
DOM, I WAS USING MY XR3i WITH A 310 RECEIVER... PRETTY SCARY HUH! ITS EVEN SCARIER THAT IM GONNA PUT ANOTHER 25-30 HRS INTO ANOTHER AND DON'T KNOW WHAT TO REPLACE AS TO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE TWICE...

questtek
03-22-2010, 01:49 AM
This was indeed a tragic ending to a great FE day. My heart sank when I heard the crash while taking the video. This build was absolutely incredible...a true masterpiece. I have added some pictures of Josh's boat taked in the AM. I even include a GPS reading after the absolute first time this thing ever touched water with a tiny prop and NO set up at all.

In the pictures you will note that the boat's brushless motor ONLY has cooling from two small 5 VDC fans, I think provided by FE Wantabe. The 4-pole motor I gave Josh to install for the tests proved much more efficient and thus cooler running than I ever anticipated. After the second hard run, but before the tragic last run, we put an IR temp guage on the motor. You couldn't cool your beer on it but...............

When Josh left, (with his pieces), his dismay prompted him to tell me that all his FE equipment would be up for sale. Even gave me a price for his incredible prop box. BUT, as time heals all wounds, and in this case about a day, Josh is back at it with GUSTO. Good Work

PS, The crash appears to be due to a radio glitch of some sort. It is interesting to note that in the previous week I had several "radio" glitches from my HiTEC FM system. It turned out to be a speed controller problem.....of sorts. I was running the 33" mono so hard I was pulling over 160 AMPS on 4S (5000mAr, 40C). I only know this now since during last weeks tests the V-2 Eagle tree logger would record a MAX or 120 amps, so my readings were a consistant 119.8 A. With the new Hi-Amp version on the new Eagle tree V3 logger amp reading was over 160!

So, here was the problem. I was using a normally very reliable 200A Mystery ESC. Under the very heavy Amp draw, on some fully charged but LiPos with almost 100 runs on them, I noted in the V3 I had some low pack voltages at hi amp draw. I think the LiPo voltage-cut off on the Mystery ESC was set too high and shut down for a few moments to recover. This very expensive ESC, (NOT),
does not have a programming card so you have to listen to the beeps....etc. Far too complicated for my small brain.

Anyway, replaced it with another ESC and never another glitch. Go figure. BUT, Josh was using a brand new LiPo pac, fully charged, 40C with only two runs on it.
Where is Sherlock when we need him?

FE Wannabe
03-22-2010, 02:13 AM
Joe,
Thanks again for letting us run at your beautiful home. It is very appreciated!
I know Josh will recover and come back strong, you can't keep a good man down....

crabstick
03-22-2010, 03:13 AM
running BEC or no BEC ?

FE Wannabe
03-22-2010, 09:16 AM
posted in wrong thread...

properchopper
03-22-2010, 10:59 AM
Josh !! Oooh, I know that "bonk"sound well! My condolences. Looked good while running, 'tho. I know how much work you put into your builds , but your next one will be better & my Vegas is looking for some "fast company". Keep the faith, Bro :Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
03-22-2010, 07:37 PM
I did not realize these hulls have such potential
I may have to build this now, and follow in some footsteps... :thumbup1:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/002-5.jpg

Rumdog
03-22-2010, 08:11 PM
Nah, sell it to me!! Sorry to see it Josh. Ant pics of the aftermath?

Brushless55
03-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I may sell it... :confused2:

Jeepers
03-22-2010, 10:27 PM
I may sell it... :confused2:

it runs good as an LSH boat!

wolf IV
03-22-2010, 11:55 PM
i was running a 5 amp bec. i can almost bet it was just radio interference in my case. but then again it seems when i lost steering it just straitened out and the throttle was stuck on for 3 sec. then came back ...? i drove her back ... Joe i dont recall you taking any pics of the aftermath but if you did feel free to post them. I'm not too excited to build another right now only because I'm unsure of what actually caused the failure. this means ill go with the more expensive monster 2000 esc and new bec, receiver and ill even try the new xr3i that's on its way to my door. ill put the esc/bec in another build I'm doing and see if it fails as it wasn't a laboring build. then ill try the transmitter and receiver.. ill find the problem!

FE Wannabe
03-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Josh,
Remember when I was running my Apache Cat on my JR XS3 that I had radio problems as well. I first thought it was over heating or a wet receiver but that didn't seem to be the case after all. There may have been interference issues with 75Mhz frequencies in that area. We may need to do some testing when we run there next time.

Brushless55
03-23-2010, 12:34 AM
it runs good as an LSH boat!

What's LSH?

wolf IV
03-23-2010, 12:42 AM
Josh,
Remember when I was running my Apache Cat on my JR XS3 that I had radio problems as well. I first thought it was over heating or a wet receiver but that didn't seem to be the case after all. There may have been interference issues with 75Mhz frequencies in that area. We may need to do some testing when we run there next time.

huh??? well i was using the 75 mhz... but i run my maritimo on the same frequency there as well? actually the mm too.

questtek
03-23-2010, 12:52 AM
running BEC or no BEC ?

If you are talking of my previous glitches (but with no lost boat) I was running with BEC and a small LiPac to power it with full charge. You cannot run a 200 A Mystery without a BEC to my knowledge.....at least it never worked for me. Like Josh said, he also had a BEC. My glitch problem seems to have gone away with a different ESC, but it is still not that easy to figure out for sure.

Is there any harmonic of 2.4 Ghz from all the wireless stuff around that could cause the problem? Both of us are running FM, my channel 22, dual conversion HiTec.

questtek
03-23-2010, 12:54 AM
Nah, sell it to me!! Sorry to see it Josh. Ant pics of the aftermath?

No, I was a bit too tragic to want to remember! I did not take any pictures of the carnage.

FE Wannabe
03-23-2010, 12:54 AM
huh??? well i was using the 75 mhz... but i run my maritimo on the same frequency there as well? actually the mm too.

Well, I guess it could have been just a coincidence.:confused2:

wolf IV
03-23-2010, 01:14 AM
I did not realize these hulls have such potential
I may have to build this now, and follow in some footsteps... :thumbup1:
http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww39/filmmaker2009/002-5.jpg

dont follow too closely:crying:

Brushless55
03-23-2010, 09:34 PM
dont follow too closely:crying:

Not sure if I should laugh or cry :roflol: