PDA

View Full Version : Battery Managers & Subs

Team A-Hull
09-18-2007, 11:44 PM
Does any one get Subs as a hobby? I guess the only place you can run them at is in a pool. Me and my buddy thought it would be funny to sit out on the dock in a couple camping chairs with a beer and a remote in front of a murky lake (No Sub or boat in water). If any one ask what we are doing, will tell them were, RC SUBBING! Probably will never do it because I have better things to do, but even running these boats in a pool seems boring. Did I miss something about the capabilities of subs?

Team X
09-20-2007, 11:15 PM
They (subs) Kick a$$ in a fish tank.
My buddy has a 120gal tank and we run them in there, we drink beer and go after the fish.
Fun to do if nothing better is going on

Team A-Hull
09-20-2007, 11:46 PM
LOL Team X!!! I have one i bought for 15 bucks and i chase my oscars and pacu. They bite back and bash the sub! Those small ones are fun in a fish tank I just don't get the large scale subs?

rlesinszki
09-21-2007, 03:20 PM
I run my r/c submarine at lakes around the Altanta area - even was asked to run them for a demo at the Georgia State Championships/IMPBA race event! I rather enjoy building them - running them has fun spots, like strangers come up to me asking me what the heck I am doing, explaning that I am running a model submarine submerged, then surfacing it, I enjoy the comments after that! (prior to that they were considering call emergency services on me) hehehe

Rick

Does any one get Subs as a hobby? I guess the only place you can run them at is in a pool. Me and my buddy thought it would be funny to sit out on the dock in a couple camping chairs with a beer and a remote in front of a murky lake (No Sub or boat in water). If any one ask what we are doing, will tell them were, RC SUBBING! Probably will never do it because I have better things to do, but even running these boats in a pool seems boring. Did I miss something about the capabilities of subs?

Team A-Hull
09-21-2007, 03:50 PM
But you can't see it in the lake though right? Most lakes are not that clear...

rlesinszki
09-21-2007, 04:22 PM
You can see it the following ways:

1. Surfaced
2. Submerged with a periscope sticking out of the water (leaves a trail 100's of miles long)
3. Submerged within 1 hulls diameter of the surface, on a calm day you can see the displacement "bump" moving around
4. Way submerged - can't see it - very exciting wondering were your $1k+ is!!! :w00t: k
5. On the table - where ton's of fellow modelers admire your work (secretly wonder if your NUTS) hehehe :D

Rick

www.rickosplace.com <---- under Submarines if ya wanna see some of my models!!!

But you can't see it in the lake though right? Most lakes are not that clear...

NorthernBoater
09-21-2007, 08:05 PM
Rick, do you pump any water in it for ballast? If you do, how do you do it. I would like to build a rescue boat where I partially submerg it and I was just wondering.

rlesinszki
09-21-2007, 08:15 PM
I had a boat that used a windshield washer pump to pump water into the ballast tank under pressure, then release it with a valve to surface. I also have a bunch of air pumps to pump air into a tank - these would be perfect as long as one has access to the surface! I was planning on using these for a model of the Blue Marlin (real size recovery boat) - use a vent valve on the top of the ballast tank to flood down to a certain level - then close the vent valve and pump air in to raise back up!

Rick

Rick, do you pump any water in it for ballast? If you do, how do you do it. I would like to build a rescue boat where I partially submerg it and I was just wondering.

Team A-Hull
09-21-2007, 09:59 PM
I think i might be getting subs as you described ealier.

Is kind of like when you let your girlfriend borrow your really nice truck and your not sure if it's going to come back in one piece or at all. I'm glad you enjoy it but I like to see my boats fly by me and not under water. Sounds like it would be fun to build though and so on.

Ever hooked a camera to on?

Team A-Hull
09-21-2007, 10:03 PM
But I don't get all excited when my truck is out runing somewhere and I can't see it! lol!

Just Joking!