PDA

View Full Version : Odd question to start with.

dplin2001
03-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Hello, I'm brand new to this forum, I have been looking for a couple of days and am excited to try some new stuff with R/C boats. I have an old Dumas hot shot 21 I built 20 yrs ago and have had a blast with it. The town I live in now won't allow gas boats on the lakes at all, so I'm looking into fast electric stuff.

I need help with my first electric boat project. My son wants to make an alligator decoy into a R/C alligator. I'm trying to find out what and where to get the stuff to put into it. I have a bunch of R/C electric planes and was wondering if that stuff would work in a boat. Also where can I find props and shafts etc. I figure I need more power than speed for an electric alligator.

Sorry for the strange post, I hope to join in on the fast electric stuff soon. I'm also big into R/C sailing, I figure when there is no wind it would be perfect for bringing out a fast boat.

Thanks

andym
03-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Good to see you on board !! Steve here at the OSE shop sells every thing you will need, How about some pics and dimensions as well as what you are expecting speed and run time wise. Then I am sure the folks here can point into a reliable set up.
Cheers
PS: See I can be nice and serious !!

dplin2001
03-19-2010, 08:11 PM
Good to see you on board !! Steve here at the OSE shop sells every thing you will need, How about some pics and dimensions as well as what you are expecting speed and run time wise. Then I am sure the folks here can point into a reliable set up.
Cheers
PS: See I can be nice and serious !!

Thanks, I've been looking at some of the stuff you guys have and WOW!!!!! I think I'm going to be hooked on more boats. Anyway I'm into R/C sailing and we need something to fetch disabled sailboats. I found this and thought it would be pretty funny.

http://www.thepondoutlet.com/home/tpo/page_2557_365/floating_alligator_decoy_lower_price_for_2010.html

I think power over speed is, is what we want for this and maybe 15min run time.

andym
03-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Long run times = high Mah capacity packs, Low Kv but high torque motors larger but lower pitch props for pushing under load.

dplin2001
03-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Thanks again, do you have any motor, ESC picks you like? I think reverse would be good too. I'm waiting to see what I really got, I thinks it's only 2lbs or so.

andym
03-19-2010, 09:56 PM
If this is going to be a retrieval crocodile then a 580 12L on 4s 6000mah with a 450/3 prop and a Hydra 240 ( has reverse ) would be a good place to start, Low Kv, high torque and a thrust cone large enough to push anything

dplin2001
03-20-2010, 09:59 AM
great, I have castle Creation stuff for my planes. That Hydra 240 is pretty expensive, I bet it would work with fast electric stuff too. I'm going to find some stuff and run it by you to see if it would work. Thanks again

andym
03-20-2010, 10:11 AM
The 180 amp marine esc at HobbyCity will do just fine and only about $100 with program box

dplin2001
03-20-2010, 10:55 AM
I'm off the the pond for a few hours, one thought. the water cooling for the motor and esc, does that require speed to force the water in? The alligator will be very slow, maybe a car esc with a fan would be better??

Rex R
03-20-2010, 07:50 PM
have you considered a 'vac-u-tug' ( www.vac-u-boat.com )? methinks that having reverse with a 'boat' hinged in 2 or more places might be problematic...mayhap a motor/prop in the head and tail might solve some problems ;).
oh right lest I totally forget, welcom to the forum.
rex

dplin2001
03-20-2010, 09:36 PM
have you considered a 'vac-u-tug' ( www.vac-u-boat.com )? methinks that having reverse with a 'boat' hinged in 2 or more places might be problematic...mayhap a motor/prop in the head and tail might solve some problems ;).
oh right lest I totally forget, welcome to the forum.
rex

I have seen that before, I never thought about getting parts from them though. I'll have to see what I get in the box, maybe I could slap the head on top of the vacu-tug hull and be good?? This is kind of a crazy project to cob together. :beerchug:

domwilson
03-20-2010, 09:42 PM
Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a brushed 700 motor and ESC? On that croc', How were you planning on steering it? Maybe with a servo attached to the tail?
It would be a cool project if you could.

dplin2001
03-20-2010, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the forum. Have you considered a brushed 700 motor and ESC? On that croc', How were you planning on steering it? Maybe with a servo attached to the tail?
It would be a cool project if you could.

Not sure on steering, I hope just a rudder would work. I'll post pics when I get it this week. In the mean time I looking at all the boats you guys run. There a lot of awesome boats, I just found another hole in my wallet. :laugh:

domwilson
03-20-2010, 10:01 PM
You can pick up a brushed 700 motor and ESC for less than $100.00 and probably use the tail as a rudder. Then use the money you save to start building an FE boat.
After that we'll tease you on your new "addiction".

dplin2001
03-21-2010, 09:51 AM
great, am I right that a water cooled system won't work with something that's going very slow?

Simon.O.
03-24-2010, 03:57 AM
There are a few variables here.
If a boat is going "slow" like a retrieval boat, then it should not need water cooling.
In saying that I have managed to trial water cooling on my big tug with the water pickup right behind the prop in a very similar fashion to my FE hulls.
That has since been pulled out and I have gone with lower loading on the motors and good old fashioned air cooling with the assistance of a PC cpu fan.

dplin2001
03-24-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks, I'll start looking for air cooled stuff for this project.