PDA

View Full Version : Castle 5.5 Tip

Grimracer
03-19-2010, 09:20 AM
Racers, For what its worth!

I have been updating my race boats to Castle 5.5mm bullets.

I know behind the times… I really do not race FE boats all that much and to date never toasted a deans but its time to update my fleet.

What I have found is the ID of the female Castle connector to be +/- .009" (WHEW!)

To help identify what female connectors you want to use before you solder: Purchase a .215" gauge pin. If the pin fits, use the connector. if not, pass on that one and test another.

If you feel you need more precision then that buy both a .215” gauge pin and a .217” gauge pin. The smaller one must fit and the larger one not.

What you will find is a fit that does not become compromised cycle after cycle.

Grimracer

blackcat26
04-01-2010, 11:48 PM
I have had some trouble with the tolerancing of my 6mm bullets, I bought from hobbyking. Some fall out and some you have to hammer together. I used a lathe at work with a collet system to make the male connectors fit better. Just kept adjusting the collet tension til they felt good in the female connector.

TRUCKPULL
04-02-2010, 11:33 PM
With the 5.5mm plugs.
I have found that if you use a 2.5mm allan wrench.
Insert it into the male plug, give it a twist, they fit together very nice.
This can be done about every ten times that they are plugged in to keep them tight.

Larry

drwayne
04-22-2010, 08:52 AM
With the 5.5mm plugs.
I have found that if you use a 2.5mm allan wrench.
Insert it into the male plug, give it a twist, they fit together very nice.
This can be done about every ten times that they are plugged in to keep them tight.

Larry

If the 2.5 probe spread it out okay, screw a 2.5mm grub screw into the male plug for a solid fix.
the 6mm plugs need a 6/32 grub for a permanent solid solution.
CC6.5 the same fit.

DocW

Grimracer
04-22-2010, 10:19 AM
The value in checking the parts is to never have to (force) adjust the fit.

IF" one grades the fits you dont have to force a fit. In doing so your connectors will last longer and provide more performance.

Grim

Darin Jordan
04-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Good advice, Mike.

I also carry three different sized finish nail setting "drifts" and use them to slide up inside the male contact to reset the tension on the contacts. This method keeps the contact sections from bending too much and breaking off.

m4a1usr
04-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Good advice, Mike.

I also carry three different sized finish nail setting "drifts" and use them to slide up inside the male contact to reset the tension on the contacts. This method keeps the contact sections from bending too much and breaking off.

Right on Darin. I use a small tapered scribe to do the same. Just a little spread of the fingers and the fit is perfect!

John

6S HYDRO
04-22-2010, 02:22 PM
exactly spread apart or squeeze together the male tabs to fit the opposing female plug

drwayne
04-22-2010, 05:42 PM
Mechanical decay of the male plug by repeated resizing weakens barbs , increases R, increases heat, lowers efficiency.
All the things electrics need to avoid
The grub screw prevents the male from resizing.
Dont be timid, give it a try and stick it in. ;)

bigwaveohs
07-01-2010, 06:06 PM
Racers, For what its worth!

I have been updating my race boats to Castle 5.5mm bullets.

I know behind the times… I really do not race FE boats all that much and to date never toasted a deans but its time to update my fleet.

What I have found is the ID of the female Castle connector to be +/- .009" (WHEW!)

To help identify what female connectors you want to use before you solder: Purchase a .215" gauge pin. If the pin fits, use the connector. if not, pass on that one and test another.

If you feel you need more precision then that buy both a .215” gauge pin and a .217” gauge pin. The smaller one must fit and the larger one not.

What you will find is a fit that does not become compromised cycle after cycle.

Grimracer

Grim,
We switched to Castle 5.5's and I have noticed a big difference in sizes which is a real PITA!
My tunnel uses e-Flite EC-5's and I have never had a problem with them not fitting together. On the other hand some of the Castle's are too tight to fully engage and others a quite loose.
JMHO

graill
07-01-2010, 07:11 PM
Good info. Though not something i look for to do as i go for reliability over cost savings.

An alternative, and what i use are multilam style, slightly more expensive but worth it. Most military and utility use this tech as its the best for electrical conductivity and high amp apps.

You can find the primary source for ALL regular contacts are sourced from two areas, both overseas, look it up, folks then slap their own advertisements and claims on them.

The good stuff: Several manufacturers make multilam style connectors, those from china should be avoided because of metalurgy and plating techniques.

you can identify multilam by the moveable ring spring multi contact, either external or internal. The contact area is superior compared to either blade type or standard round types in both amp capabilities and wear.

Without fudging the rules i have seen a couple manufacturers some of us frequent selling them up to 6.5 mm. :smile:

tdonnellyem
07-02-2010, 08:47 PM
hey graill: i've seen those multilam connectors on forklifts and straddle jacks before. i've always thought that they would be a great connector but the only ones i have seen are giant- size 4 to size 1 awg. where have you seen them at 6.5mm? i'd love to get my hands on some. can't connect them backwards so mostly idiot proof and can handle high amps.

graill
07-02-2010, 11:35 PM
hey graill: i've seen those multilam connectors on forklifts and straddle jacks before. i've always thought that they would be a great connector but the only ones i have seen are giant- size 4 to size 1 awg. where have you seen them at 6.5mm? i'd love to get my hands on some. can't connect them backwards so mostly idiot proof and can handle high amps.

sent you a pm with a link as an example of what to look for. you will recognize the vendor i provide to you in that link as an example.

6S HYDRO
07-03-2010, 01:50 AM
must it be a secret to the public? can we all see the link?

graill
07-03-2010, 04:36 AM
must it be a secret to the public? can we all see the link?

Not a secret at all. But in keeping with forum guidelines it cant be posted. ie; taking away from businesses or non approved links.

I was warned one time a couple years ago, i learn fast. (grin)

i sent you a pm 6s. :smile:

Kris Flynn
07-04-2010, 06:03 PM
Steve's 5.5mm connectors are spot on!