PDA

View Full Version : New ShockWave 26 Brushless

Darin Jordan
03-18-2010, 10:04 AM
Looks like they've officially added the ShockWave 26 Brushless mono to their USA lineup.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3150

Comes with a Pro Boat 2.4 Ghz radio system that uses Spektrum "Bind-n-Drive" technology, so it's compatile with the new Spektrum MR-series receivers. Looks like it has three different design schemes as well.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/PRB3150-GAL01.jpg

Here is a video: http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3150_hi.wmv

Here are the overview specs:

Key Features

* Includes Pro Boat 2.4GHz radio system with built-in Spektrum BND technology
* 3 trim scheme colors included - Trim Scheme is customizable
* Water-cooled brushless motor - durable, low maintenance and high performance
* Tunable running gear to aid performance on various water conditions
* Steerable drive system with skid fins for improved cornering capabilities
* Sealed inner hull keeps vital electronics dry
* Water-cooled Electronic speed control with reverse requires only one 7.2v NiMH or one 7.4V LiPo

Needed to Complete
- 4 AA alkaline batteries for the radio transmitter
- 1-7.2V Ni-MH Battery Pack with Deans Connector (PRB3313 or PRB3314) or 1-7.4V Li-Po 25C Battery (DYN5360D)
- Prophet Plus AC/DC Charger (DYN4036) or for Li-Po batteries, the AC/DC LiPo Charger (DYN4066)
- Tamiya/Deans adapter (PRB3312)

RayR
03-18-2010, 11:37 AM
Darin,

Any inside info on that motor i.e. specs?. I have a project in mind, and that 2900Kv motor might be just the ticket.

All the best,

Ray

Darin Jordan
03-18-2010, 11:40 AM
Darin,

Any inside info on that motor i.e. specs?. I have a project in mind, and that 2900Kv motor might be just the ticket.

All the best,

Ray

Ray... it's the exact same motor that's in the WidowMaker... But I don't see the specs listed on the Horizon site... I can try to find out. I've seen a similiar motor from the same manufacturer, and it's a typical 36mm x 50mm motor, but I'm not sure about the number of poles... I'll try to find out.

forescott
04-15-2010, 09:44 PM
Isn't that a Losi radio??

harry12cars
05-16-2010, 09:11 PM
Does anyone know what size bass prop I can use on this new shockWave 26 brushless?

ALD
05-26-2010, 12:16 AM
0CTURA y535 2 BLADE PROP LH . YOU CAN ORDER THIS PROP THRU WWW.FUNRCBOATS.COM. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT POLISHED AND BALANCED COST $35.79. I AM WAITING ON MINE.

I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW WELL IT WORKS!

forescott
05-30-2010, 04:12 AM
Or an x632 might do well too.

harry12cars
05-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks for your help ALD and forescott.

forescott
05-30-2010, 01:22 PM
No prob! Good luck! :thumbup:

ALD
05-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I used my new prop y535 with a 7.2 lipo 25c and smoked the esc. The boat shot out of water like a rocket and worked really well until the esc burned. Horizon tech said the prop may be to much for the motor to handle. Drawing to much amps and causing esc to burn. With this boat plastic props will break when doing fast hole shots and with metal blades it seems to burn the esc. I should have bought the fastech instead. I smoked my shockwave pretty good so I may just replace it for a fastech 26. My brother has one and it run fast on nimh batts. Would scream with lipos.

So with that being said you may want to try the x632 prop ?

forescott
05-31-2010, 01:11 AM
Bummer! Maybe try the x432 to be safe

ALD
06-01-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks for the reply- i will try the x432

GeoVW72
06-08-2010, 12:06 PM
I got one of these recently.
had a few problems but I have it sorted.
stock prop broke in 7 minutes, both blades and with out hitting anything as far as I can tell, replaced it with an aquacraft 36x55 two bladed.
I have only been running a six-cell 4600 and I have been not heat issues.
also relocated the speed control in front of the servo, didn't like it being located on top of the receiver.
also had to replace the drive shaft because it was bent from the factory, anyone else have this issue?

interesting info on the radio, the instructions state that it only works with the marine receiver, not DSM1&2, and it floats (found that out by accident)

ALD
06-08-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I thought I had bent the shaft when the blades broke, but now that you mentioned it, it was bent from the factory. The stock blades will snap off under loud. Horrizon Hobby replaced my blades and esc. This boat is great on lipo's but the motor/esc become to hot and will burn.
I was thinking of buying after market motor/esc, but for a hundred dollers more, I can buy a better boat designed for lipo's. Horrizon Hobby will work with you and they do have great customer service, just a poorly designed boat.

forescott
06-08-2010, 09:23 PM
What is the stock prop? I think that 36-55 might have too much pitch for that setup.

ALD
06-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Stock prop 1.34 inch x 2.06 pitch+2.760.
y535 Pitch=2.125. Less pitch than stock prop.

GeoVW72
06-08-2010, 11:26 PM
I know for a fact that the drive shaft was bent because I had taken the boat apart before running it to grease the shaft, rolled the shaft on a glass counter. it ran but was noisy.
as far as Horizon is concerned, parts are cheep so i don't really care

harry12cars
06-09-2010, 05:23 PM
I used the 3 blade 435 for 12 min with no heat on 7.4 lipo 25c. Everything work good with this set up, but very noisy going to check the shaft may be bent too.

ALD
06-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Did you have any heat problems with the motor or esc? The 3 blade prop that you use is it metal?
Thanks for the info

Visual Perfection
06-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Hey Guys,

Just thought I would post since I am new here. I also have a Shockwave 26 brushless:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2571-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2574-1.jpg

I am running a y535 prop being I went through 3 stock props in 3 runs (not even full runs)

Looks like maybe I should run something else?

Also, if my shaft was bent would that cause the motor to move up and down when I turn the prop on the boat? because when I turn it by hand the motor will go up and down as I turn it...

I am having an issue with removing the shaft, the back set screw on the motor coupler will not come out and I emailed horizion and they told me to use a soldering iron to loosen the thread lock, however it still will not come out (got the front one out finally after heating it, but that doesnt help me any to remove the shaft) so the back screw is stuck and now stripped from trying to remove it so I am waiting to here back from horizon on what to do, since I cant get the shaft out to grease it etc...

Sounds like the shaft might be bent anyways, so I will need to replace it..where would I get one?

Boat ran a GPS verified 26mph with 4200 NiMh battery..hoping for more with lipos..

ALD
06-09-2010, 07:30 PM
I used a y535 metal prop on my shockwave 26 with a 2s lipo and quickly smoked the esc. My boat was brand new 2 weeks ago and had a bent shaft and spun the blades of the prop just like you. So when you move to lipos( do not use the y535 metal or you will smoke the esc) Look on the forum they will tell you that prop is to big. Easy way to remove that set scew is to use a drill. Then you will be able to remove bent shaft. The motor will move somewhat when spinning prop. You need to loosen all motor mount screws and spin prop to adjust motor screws to minimize movement. I installed a new shaft and never did get all of it out. Call Horrizon hobby and they should replace props and shaft. They have great customer service but the boat is of poor design/quality. I have just purchased a 25" prince from Kintecracin and will use the radio/reciever for it along with the servo.
I will retire the shock wave, not worth upgrading. Lesson learned. Part of the hobby.

Visual Perfection
06-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I used a y535 metal prop on my shockwave 26 with a 2s lipo and quickly smoked the esc. My boat was brand new 2 weeks ago and had a bent shaft and spun the blades of the prop just like you. So when you move to lipos( do not use the y535 metal or you will smoke the esc) Look on the forum they will tell you that prop is to big. Easy way to remove that set scew is to use a drill. Then you will be able to remove bent shaft. The motor will move somewhat when spinning prop. You need to loosen all motor mount screws and spin prop to adjust motor screws to minimize movement. I installed a new shaft and never did get all of it out. Call Horrizon hobby and they should replace props and shaft. They have great customer service but the boat is of poor design/quality. I have just purchased a 25" prince from Kintecracin and will use the radio/reciever for it along with the servo.
I will retire the shock wave, not worth upgrading. Lesson learned. Part of the hobby.

Well Crap, this was my first boat (new to R/C and decided to get into boats) and I guess I shouldn't have bought it.

I have no money to "retire" it and get something else, as I figured this boat would be good when I bought it...guess I will just have to try to fix things and hope for the best.

If I get the right size prop, (what should I go with?) and a new shaft, and run it on 2s 25c lipos should it be able to do 30-35mph?

ALD
06-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Fix the things that are bad and call Horizon Hobby and they should replace all your props and shaft. They did that for me plus 2 esc's. Great customer service. The boat is a good first boat and you will learn a lot. Just about every rtr boat needs up grades. Iwould stick with nimh batts til you figure it all out. The forum has suggestions for prop sizes. I recall they recommend props in the 400 series it your looking to run lipos. I believe with the right prop and lipo you will difinately get 30+mph. Good luck on your info search. The guys on this forum are great and very helpful.

forescott
06-09-2010, 08:27 PM
I used the 3 blade 435 for 12 min with no heat on 7.4 lipo 25c. Everything work good with this set up, but very noisy going to check the shaft may be bent too.
Excellent! How is the speed compared to stock?

Visual Perfection
06-09-2010, 08:38 PM
Thanks ALD, I will definately Call horizon tomorrow and talk with them, as email doesnt seem to solve anything very fast.

I just took the boat out before it was dark and I don't regret buying this boat at all...like you said it is a great boat for a beginner and it definitely is fun to drive even on Nimh's.

Just have to get the little problems worked out with it and I am sure I will be very happy.

I also remind myself that this boat has only been out for a few months, so I guess there is always a risk with buying a new to the market product before all the kinks are worked out.

Might have to give that 435 prop a try, sounds like it might be good.

ALD
06-09-2010, 08:39 PM
super quick w/2s 25c lipo w/the y535 prop. When I did a hole shot, the boat jumped like a rocket. I gues 30+ til I smoked the esc. Stock blades with this setup would just spin the blades off but was still very fast. I never tried the nimh batts.

Visual Perfection
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
With the y535 i am running my batteries are getting very hot and the motor and esc are getting much warmer than the stock prop...this is all on 6 cell Nimh..

gonna order a x435 prop I think.. the m435 that harry12cars is running is a 3 blade, but I am thinking a 2 blade will be better for this style boat, am I right in assuming this?

ALD
06-09-2010, 11:54 PM
I would try the 2 blade. Run for a minute or less at full throttle then the check the motor/esc for heat issues. No heat issues then switch to lipo and check for heat issues. Make sure your lipo/nimh switch is in the correct position for the battery used. If you forget you will destroy the esc.
I learned the hard way and the esc stopped sending power to the motor.

GeoVW72
06-10-2010, 12:08 AM
Visual Perfection,
this was also my first decent boat. I have had and driven others, but for the cost and what you are getting I think it is pretty good.
what you are probably going to have to do is cut the shaft off before the motor coupler and just replace the whole assembly. the parts are cheep and available if Horizon doesn't give them to you.

Driveshaft with U-joint:SW26BL $8.99 [PRB3152]
Motor Coupler: SW26BL $4.99 [PRB3156]

and if you feel inclined you can remove the brass stuffing tube and polish the shaft to make it run even better.
removing the stuffing tube is difficult but it can be done.

Visual Perfection
06-10-2010, 12:23 AM
I would try the 2 blade. Run for a minute or less at full throttle then the check the motor/esc for heat issues. No heat issues then switch to lipo and check for heat issues. Make sure your lipo/nimh switch is in the correct position for the battery used. If you forget you will destroy the esc.
I learned the hard way and the esc stopped sending power to the motor.

Well I Can tell you right now the 535 prop does just fine with my 6 cell 4200 NIMH batteries and I can run through the entire pack (about 7-8 minutes) with no heat issues with the motor and esc other than they get nice and warm..nothing that concerns me too much, being the water cooling everything comming from the ponds I am running in is over 90 degrees to begin with..

Now my batteries on the other hand get very hot after the run - which I have been told might be caused by running the pack too low before bringing it into shore?

I am mainly going to the x435 so I can run lipos safely...

I don't want to spend $35 for a balanced/sharpened prop to find out it isn't the right size so that is why I am hoping to be sure I make the right decision, as i have already done it once and got the wrong size...

Thanks for all the suggestions and comments guys and GEO I will probably end up having to cut it like you said, or drill it out like was suggested earlier and then replace those parts. Hopefully Horizon will replace them for me.

And I agree that this boat is pretty decent for the cost of it. I was either going to get the Traxxas Villain EX or this boat and I decided on this boat. I am still glad I got this one just for the fact it is much quicker in stock form (Villain from what I have found does about 20mph stock..plus you have to run two batteries, it has two motors etc..)

harry12cars
06-10-2010, 07:59 PM
I had no heat problems running the 3 blade. I checked the temp and it was at 89 and ESC was 80. I ran the boat full throttle in those 12 mins. The speed I didn't check, but I can tell you when I punch the throttle from a stand still she jumped out of the water. I am very happy with the boat.

Visual Perfection
06-10-2010, 08:11 PM
Awesome! Looking forward to getting Lipo's in this thing. Already very pleased with it on NiMH's

Should be a decent boat once everything is dialed in!

Visual Perfection
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
Just ordered a X435 Prop, will let you all know how it works out!

ALD
06-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Who did you order it from?

Visual Perfection
06-11-2010, 03:09 AM
From CMDi racing

http://cmdracing.com/updated/main.htm

Email and ask for Andy, he will take care of you.. tell him Nick F. with the Shockwave 26 From Florida sent you ;)

Visual Perfection
06-11-2010, 04:43 PM
I had no heat problems running the 3 blade. I checked the temp and it was at 89 and ESC was 80. I ran the boat full throttle in those 12 mins. The speed I didn't check, but I can tell you when I punch the throttle from a stand still she jumped out of the water. I am very happy with the boat.

Get some video of your boat in action! Would love to see it!

Will have some of mine shortly..would be a good comparison Nimh Vs Lipo in this boat.

ALD
06-11-2010, 04:58 PM
Sorry, won't be up and running till August-Horizon Hobby has my warrantied esc on back-order .

My new boat should be in next week. 25" Deep Vee ARTR from HOR Racing. I ordered it from kintec racing. Runs on 3s/4s Will let you know how it runs later.

Visual Perfection
06-11-2010, 05:51 PM
Some photo's from running today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2607.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2606.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2612.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v716/z28toaz34/CIMG2609.jpg

ALD
06-11-2010, 06:22 PM
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Visual Perfection
06-11-2010, 11:48 PM
Good video review of the shockwave I JUST found on youtube... Just put up a few days ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2BQzREK0AY

Visual Perfection
06-12-2010, 10:12 PM
Wanted to give an update on the great customer service from horizon hobby.

They are sending me a new driveshaft, motor coupler, and 3 new props. A company that stands behind there product and sends the new parts at no charge (yes they are cheap but still...would have been $20+ out of my pockets for these parts) is a great company to buy from.

This makes me even more happy about my purchase of the Proboat Shockwave.

ALD
06-12-2010, 11:42 PM
That Great!!!!!!!

They helped me out also. GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE, I AGREE!

Visual Perfection
06-15-2010, 01:32 AM
Got my x435 prop and it works great... Compared to the y535 the batteries no longer get so hot, motor and esc are cooler as well...this is on 6 cell NimH remember

Speed is about 1 - 1.5mph slower according to the GPS, but the RPM's are there now..where-as before the RPM's didnt seem to get as high with the y535 as it was too much load I suppose...maybe this prop isnt the right one either, but I would rather sacrafice a mph and not overheat my batteries etc..

around 24mph is still respectable on a single 6 cell NiMH... We shall see what she does on Lipo's when that day comes. Will post some video shortly if anyone wants to see.

Here is a video: Comments, suggestions are welcome.

DqQ7iJbRNVo

forescott
06-15-2010, 07:19 PM
Looking good! A decent 2s lipo should give you a nice boost in speed. Something like a 5000mah 30c Turnigy lipo.

Visual Perfection
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
Just bought 2 rhino 25c 4900 mah from a member here...cant wait to get them...need a charger yet though : (

forescott
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
Awesome! You'll never go back to nimh!

Visual Perfection
06-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Hoping to get a Thunder AC-6 charger for the lipos...I wasn't gonna go lipo, but now that I have a Fastech comming for my B-day I figured I needed a few more batteries and why waste my money on NiMH's lol...so bought some Lipo's.... I think i might be starting to have a problem...that R/C addiction thing people keep talking about

Visual Perfection
06-16-2010, 08:30 PM
After watching that video can anyone see anything wrong with the way it is running in the straights or turns? Any suggestions?

Also it does not turn very well, I have to slow way down to turn or if I turn sharp as you can see in the video it bounces a lot..what can I do to fix this? I figured with the steerable outdrive this thing should handle really good...

Thanks

Visual Perfection
06-21-2010, 10:44 AM
Lipos arrived today...tried real quick to put one in my shockwave but it doesnt want to fit with the cord comming out of the end...seems about an 1/8" too long..

Anyone else have this problem?

They are Rhino 2s 4900mah 20c lipos

Oh also, when running a lipo in this boat I hook it up the same and change the switch on the esc to Lipo and that is all right? The balance plug is only plugged in for charging correct? as I dont see anywhere that would plug into so I assume that it is only for charging purposes? Sorry for the stupid question.

johnf
06-21-2010, 11:39 AM
Correct, balance plug is only for charging.

Visual Perfection
06-21-2010, 12:25 PM
ok thanks...now just need to figure out if I can get the damn things to fit!

Visual Perfection
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Here you go guys.. a video of her running Lipo Powa!

irrxxvKeBKQ

What a difference! I love Lipos! The get up and go is almost instantaneous and the battery pack is cool to the touch along with the ESC and Motor being barely warm.

I am very happy with the way it runs now!

ALD
06-21-2010, 09:51 PM
Great vid, NO heat problems with the esc? X435 3prop?

ALD
06-21-2010, 10:07 PM
If your fins are pointing down, pull them up a little bit and the boat will turn quicker and it seems to make the boat a little quicker.

Visual Perfection
06-21-2010, 10:52 PM
Great vid, NO heat problems with the esc? X435 3prop?

No heat problems...I brought it in every 2 minutes to check it.

it is a 2 blade x435

If your fins are pointing down, pull them up a little bit and the boat will turn quicker and it seems to make the boat a little quicker.

Have any pictures? How far up?

forescott
06-22-2010, 12:39 AM
Your hooked now! I fought going lipo for a long time with my supervee. Lipos were too expensive then. Til I discovered hobbyking lipos. Best bang for the buck IMO!

Visual Perfection
06-22-2010, 01:13 AM
Yes hobbyking or members giving great deals on this forum!

Visual Perfection
06-28-2010, 04:19 PM
Guys wanted to add IMPORTANT info I just found out.

Member on RC universe ran the 435 3 blade prop on 2s lipo and fried his ESC.

Looks like that prop is hit or miss, since the member on here is running it with no problems.

Once I get a few more runs on my X435 2 blade prop with 2s lipo I will report back to let you guys know how it is going.

I am a little disapointed that prop wrecked the ESC..any other options we could look into?

tunnelvision
06-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Guys wanted to add IMPORTANT info I just found out.

Member on RC universe ran the 435 3 blade prop on 2s lipo and fried his ESC.

Looks like that prop is hit or miss, since the member on here is running it with no problems.

Once I get a few more runs on my X435 2 blade prop with 2s lipo I will report back to let you guys know how it is going.

I am a little disapointed that prop wrecked the ESC..any other options we could look into?

3 Blade draws more amps so I would think that would be the problem. If you say you are not overheating on 2s and 2blade x435 then you should be good but this hobby always has a surprise.lol

I bought this boat today along with a 2 blade x435 based on what I have seen and read on this boat. I can't wait, have a lipo ready to go!! I recently put the widowmaker/shockwave bl powerplant in my Apache 24 and it really hauls so I figured this would be fun too. Love the fact its just one battery and decent speed.

Visual Perfection
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
Let us know how you like it! This boat is VERY fun on a 2s lipo, and yes it is great that it only needs one battery!

tunnelvision
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Will definitely report back with my experience and some vids of the Apache 24 vs the Shockwave. Lets see how many props I can break this weekend!

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 11:33 AM
Guys a question on ESC's.

With the problems this ESC is having in the shockwave with prop changes etc.. I am thinking about upgrading.

Does anyone think the 45a ESC that is in the blackjack and Fastech would be a good option? Reason I ask is because I am getting a Fastech in the next couple weeks for my B-day and thought I could swap that ESC into the shockwave to safely run 2s or later 3s lipo with my props, and then upgrade the Fastech ESC to a Hobbywing Seeking 90a ESC so I can safely run up to 5s or 6s lipos in the Fastech. (probably 5s would be most I am gonna go)

Can the Fastech ESC be easily made to use just one Lipo in the shockwave, instead of 2 like it uses in that boat?

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

Darin Jordan
06-29-2010, 11:51 AM
Can the Fastech ESC be easily made to use just one Lipo in the shockwave, instead of 2 like it uses in that boat?

Any thoughts or opinions on this?

The 45-A FasTECH ESC has a lower input voltage limit of 10V... Too low to operate properly on 2S... it's made 3S to 4S.

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 12:52 PM
Hmm.. Okay I guess that won't work then. Bummer.

Thanks Darin!

Darin Jordan
06-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Hmm.. Okay I guess that won't work then. Bummer.

Thanks Darin!

You COULD use it with 3S packs... Motor is 2900 KV, which would give you around 32,000 RPM... would wake that boat right up!

On these factory Y-harnesses, you can convert them to a single pack by making a jumper to jump together one of the contacts, completing the circuit to the other. Which one you jump is critical. You have to do the contact with the two red wires, completing the positive side of the ESC circuit.

This works fine for sport running...

Visual Perfection
06-29-2010, 01:02 PM
Ya, I bet the boat would be great on 3s! Still would want the option to run 2s and even NiMh however, since I already have those packs and depending on where I am running higher speed can become an issue.

The 45a ESC's I am guessing are fairly desirable, so maybe I could pull it and sell it, same with my shockwave one (prob less desirable..although it does offer reverse which is a nice feature) and purchase a 60a seaking for the shockwave and a 90a for the fastech... think that would be a wise choice? or should I go bigger?

tunnelvision
06-30-2010, 08:13 PM
Got my new Shockwave today!! Have to say this is a great boat for the price. Tested it at the pond on my street with my nimh pack and it was real quick. This weekend I will be testing it with my lipo as there is more room at the lake to open it up. Will be shooting some vids and will post them when I get back in a week or two.

On a side note, about 2 months ago I bought a Rio Ep out of curiosity because I am obsessed with boats and it just looked like fun on a small scale. Now 2 months later I have 4 rc boats and sickness. I love speed and the water so it seemed like a perfect match. Youtube and my passion for boats got me into this hobby somehow, so if you want check it out where it all started click the link. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zjwaBIeMEw

Happy Fourth everyone!

Rob

SweetZ28
07-02-2010, 03:47 PM
Hi was thinking of buying one of these boats anyone what size props fit the boat? 4mm , 3/16 or 1/8th?
I ran my super V27 like only 3 times and kind of hate the fact you always have to use 2 batteries I converted my apache 24 with a brushless 3300kv set up on 3S and i just have more fun with it.
Hopping this boat will be the same.....wonder if aqua craft will start making some boats like the shockwave 26 brushless that use one battery pack?

Thanks

Visual Perfection
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
It uses a 1/8th inch shaft.

Probably could change that though with tubing, etc..

Guys have fried the stock ESC on to much prop, however I have been having very good success with the octura x435 2 blade prop. It's about the only one nobody has had problems with.

It is a great boat, especially since it can run on one battery, which is what made me purchase it. Can run twice as long as a boat with 2 packs..and she will do around 30mph on a 2s Lipo with the x435 prop.

Fun boat!

SweetZ28
07-02-2010, 10:53 PM
:thumbup1:You can probably use 3s lipo and run a much smaller prop and you should gain even more speed.

Visual Perfection
07-07-2010, 10:42 PM
You volunteering to be the first to try and report back :laugh:

GeoVW72
07-08-2010, 10:49 AM
I may try it.
spec on the speedo says it'll take 12.5v
although I just heard of a widow maker locally that burned up,
seems like a lot of problems with that speedo.
I have a new castle waiting, so we'll see if it blows

Visual Perfection
07-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Will have to use a very small prop...these things can't handle 2s with a prop that creates too much load...as you can see by this thread where it has been said a few times that ESC's have been fried.

Good luck and let us know what happens!

GeoVW72
07-08-2010, 11:55 AM
Yea, I've had good luck with the prop I have though.
has not really gotten warm or hot yet, just got to running it on 2s and the universal came loose on the second run.
must've forgotten the lock-tight :doh:
battery will be in next week and I hope to start using my eagle tree system soon
hooray for real numbers:bounce:

forescott
07-09-2010, 01:17 AM
I'd be a little worried about those u-joints in the out-drive spinning that much rpm.

roadrashracing
09-27-2010, 12:18 AM
I had an esc go up also, has anyone done any mods to thse yet?

SweetZ28
09-27-2010, 10:47 AM
Hi I think this may solve the drives breaking on the shockwave?? www.hobby-lobby.com sells a bunch of sizes?
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/ujoint.htm

http://cdn1.hobby-lobby.com/scart/public/database/product/images_sets/pr553img1sma.jpg

ALD
09-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Yes, I turned my Shockwave 26 into a rescue boat. Works great as a rescue with reverse. If I were you, I would not spend any money on your boat. Save the money and buy a FE boat without u-joints. U-jointed boats can not handle speed.

mickvk
09-27-2010, 06:42 PM
Yes, I turned my Shockwave 26 into a rescue boat. Works great as a rescue with reverse. If I were you, I would not spend any money on your boat. Save the money and buy a FE boat without u-joints. U-jointed boats can not handle speed.

Me too. Two good reasons why: The steerable outdrive to me seems to push the boat over a lot if you're doing anything fast. I prefer the straight drive, steerable rudder. Second, for a rescue boat, the steerable outdrive gives you excellent low speed maneuverability - and the same when you have a boat in tow. I tried to use a zig zag racer - it had enough power but was totally uncontrollable as a rescue because of the "payload" at the end of the line...

yellowbird
09-27-2010, 08:26 PM
I have recently upgraded my Shockwave 26RS to brushless using the ProBoat 2900kv motor and switched to LiPo; I'm using a Hobbywing 60A marine ESC and an Eagle Tree logger to see how it all works together with some different plastic props.

On 2S (5000Ah 20C) Lipo the boat ran 28.1mph using a plastic Octura Y534 (basically same as stock prop but more durable - blades don't keep breaking off). Peak current was 59A and average under load was 52-55A (takes about 5 seconds to get down my local pond now!)

On 3S (3000Ah 20-30C) Lipo the boat hit 36.1 mph using a plastic Octura X431 (put on a smaller prop to reduce motor load). Peak current was 70A and average under load was 62-66A.

After about 1/3 of the pack I switched to a plastic Octura Y531 (same size but a bit more pitch). Speed was about the same (35.7mph max) but current went up to 75A peak and 64-70A under load. These would probably all be a bit higher with a fully charged battery.

Temperatures were all OK at <100F for motor, ESC and battery. Next time will try the Octura Y534 to see what the "worst case" is for current drain.

On this basis I would suggest looking for a 90A+ capable ESC if you want to run 3S long term. I think I will stick with 2S Lipo and go for a metal prop and the Shockwave BL turn fins to "finish it off", as the boat is pretty unstable at top speed on 3S and spins out in corners; the flat bottom center section means there is little directional stability from the hull, and the rudder can spin out if you catch a wave when turning.

yellowbird
10-02-2010, 06:20 PM
More testing today with Octura Y535 metal prop on 2S lipo on my Shockwave 26. Max speed increased from 28.1mph (using plastic Octura Y534) to 31.4mph with same set-up of ProBoat 2900kv motor and Flightmax 2S 5000Ah lipo battery.

Current drain increased to 65A max and 55-60A at full power, so about 10% more speed for 10% more power drain vs plastic prop.

Thanks for the prop ALD!

SweetZ28
10-02-2010, 06:42 PM
More testing today with Octura Y535 metal prop on 2S lipo on my Shockwave 26. Max speed increased from 28.1mph (using plastic Octura Y534) to 31.4mph with same set-up of ProBoat 2900kv motor and Flightmax 2S 5000Ah lipo battery.

Current drain increased to 65A max and 55-60A at full power, so about 10% more speed for 10% more power drain vs plastic prop.

Try a X435 that seems to work very good.

ALD
10-02-2010, 09:17 PM
Glad to hear you didn't smoke anything. Looks like the perfect setup. 31mph is really good for that boat.

ALD

yellowbird
10-03-2010, 10:40 PM
.... and tested finally with 3S lipo and the Octura Y535 to see how fast it could go.

Boat hit 40mph (actually 39.93mph according to the Eagle Tree logger), but peak current was 110A (probably the logger limit) and 95-105A over a few seconds - see chart. It then flipped off a wave and rolled while travelling in a straight line.

Therefore I think I'll stick with 2S lipo on this boat and the Y535 prop. 30mph is fast enough for this hull design - without a proper deep V rear section (it's actually a flat bottom in the center section) there isn't enough directional stability for high speeds, and 3S and a big prop is beyond the limits of my 3S lipo (60A continuous, 90A burst), ESC, the logger and probably the motor.

Time to think about a new project .......!

rc2266
04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Here is a video of mine, the 2nd time in water, nephew driving, at the end you see why we say ALWAYS tape the hatch...haha
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/92kingv8/?action=view&current=PROBOAT2CRASH-1.mp4

mickvk
04-26-2011, 10:00 PM
Here is a video of mine, the 2nd time in water, nephew driving, at the end you see why we say ALWAYS tape the hatch...haha
http://s244.photobucket.com/albums/gg25/92kingv8/?action=view&current=PROBOAT2CRASH-1.mp4

Hey, what size rubberband do you use to keep the throttle on like that :)

Kidding of course. Man am I glad spring is here!

rc2266
04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Yea since then he has learned throttle response, of course it might have been that he had to swim to get it:roflol:
All in all fun boat to toy with:banana:

rc2266
04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
Made some homemade trim tabs, got rid of the slight bounce, very smooth now.

Racer944
07-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Hi Guys;

Just ran my Shockwave for the first time today... ran very nice and I did tweak it a bit by setting the drive up as much as possible.

I do have a question for you guys though... what kind of run time are you getting? Mine is stock setup with the updated metal prop from Proboat and running DTX 5000 mah NiMh pack. I think I am getting about 5 mins or so but only putting back in about 3000Mah to the pack... Does this seem normal? I expected a bit longer run times frankly...

Basically the boat ran great until hitting (what I presume is) a low voltage cut off. I then was able to get it into the dock at slow speed. I put in the next pack and ran it again until the same thing occurred. I double checked that my ESC switch is set to NiMH and not LiPo. I kind of expected on NiMH that the boat would simply slow down gradually and that there was no real voltage cut off...

Any thougths are appreciated!

Cheers;
Eric

mickvk
07-17-2011, 06:04 PM
That sounds pretty normal. To explain it a little, cars and planes do a lot of work during acceleration, but then they "unload" as they cary momentum. So you'll see spikes in current draw with an average being fairly low, say 15A. But with boats they are working hard practically the whole time. If you graphed yours it would be spikes at a higher average like 40-50A I bet.

Svenster
07-24-2011, 09:47 AM
Need some advice on Shockwave BL that I bought for my son at the end of last summer. We have had lots of fun with this RC. Last nighT he ran into the dock and damaged the front of the plastic hull, bending the nose down with a small crack (argh!). Still operational but I want to repair the nose. Any advice on how to do that?

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

mickvk
07-24-2011, 05:22 PM
I have had really good luck using the PC-11 Marine epox - it's like JB weld. You stir it up and it's like clay - not too goopy like epoxy. Spread it on with a stick. Then what I do is use a wet paper towel to smooth the application rather than sanding and painting. No problem. The color will even match pretty good. The quicker alternative would be to just use some shoe goo. hope that helps.

Svenster
07-30-2011, 10:57 AM
I have had really good luck using the PC-11 Marine epox - it's like JB weld. You stir it up and it's like clay - not too goopy like epoxy. Spread it on with a stick. Then what I do is use a wet paper towel to smooth the application rather than sanding and painting. No problem. The color will even match pretty good. The quicker alternative would be to just use some shoe goo. hope that helps.

Tried the PC-11, work really well. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPad 2 3G using Tapatalk

straightbuggin
09-15-2011, 04:55 PM
just bought one 2 days ago and am running a venom 2s 5000 mah lipo and this thing flies and dosent get hot or nothing. awesom lil boat

Svenster
07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
The shockwave is still going strong for several summers now. My son and really are enjoying this hobby. Question though, i noticed that water is not coming out the side of the boat (cooling). I pulled the tubing and i can blow water through each tube except for the tube thst sttached to the BL moter. Is this normal? Any ideas why no water is coming out the side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenny
07-05-2013, 06:16 AM
Svenster.

It sounds like it is clogged with sand and debris in the water nipples or in the jacket,
Try taking the motor out and sliding the jacket off and cleaning it out.
Can you post some pictures of what line you are talking about ?

bigcam406
07-05-2013, 05:22 PM
whats the difference between the 2900kv motor this boat comes with and the 1500kv motor version 3 comes with? is one motor faster than the other? im trying to understand what the kv means pertaining to brushless electric motors.sorry for such a newb question,ive been an internal combustion fan my whole life...

yellowbird
07-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Hi Svenster

I have had this problem a couple of times and found that one of the water nipples on the jacket gets blocked. To fix it I take a 1/8" drill and push it down inside the nipples to clean out the corrosion/ dirt. I can just about do this with the motor in place, just by pulling off the silicon water tubes. I need to do this 1-2x per year I find, but it means I don't need to remove the water jacket.

To make sure it's clean I take a plastic syringe (from Rite-Aid or similar), fill it with water and then push it up inside the water pipe that normally connects to the top of the rudder. I then push this water through the system to make sure everything is clear - the water will come out the outlet in the side of the hull if everything is OK.

If not, you can take the syringe and check each hose in turn to find the blockage.

-yellow-bird

yellowbird
07-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Hi Bigcam 406

the motor kv tellks you how fast the motor will spin for a given voltage. a 2900kv motor will turn at 2900rpm if 1 volt is applied, while a 1500kv motor will turn at 1500 rpm if 1 volt is applied.

The 2900kv motor is designed for about 7.4 volts (2 cell lipo or 6 cell NiMh) battery and gives good power [2900kv x 7.4 volts = 21,460rpm nominal].The 1500kv motor is really designed for 14.8 volts (2x 2 cell lipos or 2x 6 cell NiMh) [1500kv x 14.8 volts = 22,200 rpm nominal] and will give a little bit more power on 14.8v than the 2900kv motor will on 7.4v as it has more torque, but much less power if you ran both motors on 7.4 volts as it would only be turning at 11,100rpm.

The 2900kv motor is similar to the 1500kv motor in terms of size, but I think has different internals in terms of the magnet design. The main benefit of the 2900kv motor is you only need one battery at a time which saves money and simplifies charging.

-yellowbird

J.W. Pepper
07-06-2013, 01:12 AM
Let me start off by answering your KV question, that will help the rest of this make sense. In simple terms, KV = RPM's per volt from the battery.

Is this the boat you have?.... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3150 - if yes, check the specs; it was intended to be run on (1) 7.2v NiMH or (1) 7.4v LiPo battery. So take 2900Kv x 7.2v battery voltage = 20,880-RPM's unloaded. Also notice that it has a steerable outdrive system with a 1.34" x 2.06" prop.

I asked a forum member (name withheld) if the steerable outdrive system is the same as surface drive as far as how much of the prop is in the water. Or is it more like a semi-submerged setup where more of the prop is underwater. Boats that have submerged props generally use a smaller diameter prop because the entire thing is in the water all the time & therefore harder to spin.

In surface drive systems, only 1/2 the prop is in the water at one time. Look at the back of your boat, one blade is pointing up & the other one is pointing down. So naturally, it takes less energy to rotate it.

Now let's look at the V3 Shockwave... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB0650 - It can use (1) 7.2–8.4v NiMH or (1)2S~3S battery. So lets take the max batt it can use for our purpose's, 1500Kv x 11.1v = 16,650-RPM's unloaded. HOWEVER, it uses a surface drive system with offset rudder, and, it is also turning a 1.6" x 2.5" prop.

I am still trying to figure out props, so I will refer you to this website... http://rcraceboats.webnode.gr/news/gas-prop-essentials/ - yes, they're talking about gas boats, but that doesn't matter, the concepts are the same regardless of how the boat is powered. They explain the relationship that diameter & pitch play in propelling a boat through water.

Provided I have done my math correctly, God I hope so, because I've been trying really hard to learn this stuff.
The 1.34" x 2.06" prop looks like this: 1.34"(34.036mm) Diameter x 1.5373"(39.047mm) pitch - for a total Pitch of: 1.34" x 1.5373"=2.0599"(52.3215mm). This prop is essentially the same as the Octura y534... http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=oct-y534

The 1.6" x 2.5" prop looks like this... 1.60"(40.64mm) x 1.5625"(39.6875mm) pitch - for a total pitch of: 1.6 x 1.5625"= 2.50"(63.5mm). It's very close in size to the Octura x640 - 1.5748"(40mm) diameter x 1.6"(40.64mm) pitch - for a total of 1.5748" x 1.6" = 2.51968"(63.9999mm).

Summary:
I don't know anything about the 2900Kv motor in the original SW26. What I do know is that if the 1500Kv motor found in the V3 boats has anywhere near as much torque as it's 1800Kv big brother, than I can understand why PB is using it.

Compare the props from the two different models. The V3's prop has slightly more pitch than the V1, but not much. However, V3's prop is much larger in diameter 1.60"(40.6400mm) vs 1.34"(34.036mm) than the V1 boats. I refer you back to the prop essentials website to understand why.

Sorry for the long winded post, but earlier today one of the LHS offered me a SW26 V3 boat at a ridiculously low price - less than anything I can find online including FleaBay.

I was waiting for an answer to a PM I sent the above referenced member regarding which prop to use with the MG24 upgraded to BL using the same power system as the SW26 BL has; I did not receive an answer.

So tomorrow I'm calling the LHS to order the SW26 V3. Since I already have a 1500Kv PB motor & the 45A ESC (with program card) that goes with it. I'm buying the brushed version & doing the BL conversion myself. I understand surface drive systems & how to prop them correctly, not so with steerable outdrives.

Mean while, I need to get my Rio EP BL boat put back together before the SW26 arrives. Bottom line is: I'm fixin to get real busy, which means no time for multiple answers to OSE posts.

Good luck in your endevors, I sincerely hope the above information gets you going in the right direction.

Happy boating :-))

whats the difference between the 2900kv motor this boat comes with and the 1500kv motor version 3 comes with? is one motor faster than the other? im trying to understand what the kv means pertaining to brushless electric motors.sorry for such a newb question,ive been an internal combustion fan my whole life...

bigcam406
07-06-2013, 07:22 AM
JW and Yellowbird:thanks for your explanations.i finally have a better understanding of brushless ratings and how it pertains to prop sizing.very educational I must say.thanks again.:thumbup1: and just for the record,i havn't purchased a v3 yet,but I was reading and found the specs between the older and new versions,so I was wondering why they made the change.J.W,keep us up to date on your brushless conversion,as im curious to see how it turns out.

Svenster
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Svenster.

It sounds like it is clogged with sand and debris in the water nipples or in the jacket,
Try taking the motor out and sliding the jacket off and cleaning it out.
Can you post some pictures of what line you are talking about ?

Lenny. Thanks for the help. I took out the motor and removed the nipple from the motor that the cooling hose attaches. There was some black gung in it. Blew it out and now all works. Thanks again for the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lenny
07-06-2013, 09:22 PM
Good to hear.:tiphat:
Also try not to put the nipples in to deep.
I have seen some go in to deep and restrict the flow and sometimes it go's in and hits the motor can,
Also I would check the esc and rudder for some build up of debris and excess sealers from the factory on all rtr boats.

J.W. Pepper
07-08-2013, 02:50 PM
...found the specs between the older and new versions,so I was wondering why they made the change...
Marketing:laugh:

I have been very busy doing a lot research, basically what PB did was take the Impulse 26... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB4200 - changed the electronics, added gaudy graphics & called it a Shockwave 26. Check the SW26's (v3) parts listing, practically everything has "IM26" behind it.

Personally, I think the graphics on the IM26 are far nicer than the SW26, but they're also discontinued, so no converting a SW26v3 to an IM26. They also added a brushless option which was not available with the IM26.

Original Shockwave was a completely different boat than the current model; BL only, had a steerable outdrive & different hull design. The motor was the 2900Kv that also came with the Widow Maker, it was intended to run on 6 / 7 cell NiMH or 2S LiPo's. The "new" Shockwave's BL motor is an updated version of the 1500Kv motor from Miss Geico v1.

Specifics...
IM26 - lame motor, 30A ESC, same Spektrum radio as the IM31... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdId=PRB8060#manuals - plus MR200 Rx.

SW26v3... Much improved (brushed) motor & 50A ESC - both are now made by Dynamite, downgraded radio system made by ECX.

SW26v3 BL... took the 1500Kv BL motor & ESC from MG29v1 / BJ26(V1 & V2) which are now made by Dynamite; and added upgraded Spektrum radio system - DX2E tx + MR200 Rx to make what can be considered the deluxe model. Sorta like a regular base model car vs. the nicer super sport model.

New BL ESC is now designated as "single battery 3S LiPo max" and has external switch for NiMH or LiPo battery type. Its predecessor was a dual battery design for 4S and programmable using this card... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3311. I don't know if the new ESC is programmable.

I read YellowBirds' post on Kv ratings, for the most part his explanation is dead on. I agree with him on his comparison of the older 2900Kv vs. newer 1500Kv motors... I think it has different internals in terms of the magnet design. Based on my own experiences I can tell you that both the 1500Kv & it's 1800Kv big brother are some serious torque mysters due to they're 6-pole design.

As far as the RPM part... what he failed to take into consideration is: that the SW26v3 BL is designed to run up to a single 3S LiPo which will yield 16,650-rpm's not the 11,100-rpm value he quoted. PB did that for the reason he quoted - single battery lowers operational costs.

Why "only" a 1500Kv motor turning 16,650-rpm's - have you seen the PB promo vid?? That boat is movin along quite nicely.

Other reason(s) are: maybe that is all that the boats hull can handle, remember, that is a very torquee motor in a plastic hulled boat. PB says the boat will do 30+ mph outta the box; I'm assuming they mean with a 3S LiPo & the optional SS prop sharpened & balanced.

Bottom line is: PB took a discontinued model, updated the graphics, added a BL option & gave it a new name = practically zero $$ on development costs. The BL version gives price conscious consumers an economical alternative to fiberglass FE's both in terms of initial cost & operational cost (single battery).

Think of it as an entry level RTR FE, cheap enough that almost anybody can afford it, and fast enough that (first time) buyers won't get bored after their first trip to the pond / lake. For current boat owners, it's a great second boat to get for the wife / girlfriend / teenage kid.

If I get one, I will be trying the 1800Kv motor from my IM31 - curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction brought 'em back... cats have 9-lives.

That's my 2-cents - for what it's worth

JW and Yellowbird:thanks for your explanations.i finally have a better understanding of brushless ratings and how it pertains to prop sizing.very educational I must say.thanks again.:thumbup1: and just for the record,i havn't purchased a v3 yet,but I was reading and found the specs between the older and new versions,so I was wondering why they made the change.J.W,keep us up to date on your brushless conversion,as im curious to see how it turns out.

bigcam406
07-08-2013, 03:54 PM
thanks for the reply J.W.i already figured out the Impulse 26 and the Shockwave V3 were basically the same boat,just done up a bit.(I compare it to a base 69 Camaro to a Z28 lol).as far as the difference between the 2 motors,im still trying to figure out why they went with a lower kv motor instead of the original 2900.i have been doing a lot of reading,and I don't really see a difference between a higher rpm motor using a smaller prop,and a lower rpm motor that uses a larger prop(if the said voltage is the same).is there really that much a difference between the 2,or is the lower kv motor basically more efficient causing the increase in torque? it sounds to me like its a crapshoot really,unless there is a big difference between the 2.im guessing the higher kv with the same voltage and smaller prop would be a faster boat than vice a versa.i apologize for the questions,and keeping you away from your projects,just very curious.thanks again for your responses.

J.W. Pepper
07-08-2013, 07:52 PM
...im still trying to figure out why they went with a lower kv motor instead of the original 2900...
2 reasons...
1. The 2900Kv motor was disco'ed a long time ago. They only used it in two models... The original Shockwave 26 and the Widow Maker... http://www.proboatmodels.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3900 - Goes back to what YellowBird said... "The 2900kv motor is designed for about 7.4 volts (2 cell lipo or 6 cell NiMh) battery and gives good power [2900kv x 7.4 volts = 21,460rpm nominal]..." that's what PB wanted for those two boats. The WM was never that popular and faded into obscurity rather quickly. Interesting to note that both boats used the same 1.34" x 2.06" prop now found on the MG24.

2. Check the end of my last post - I said "bottom line is: PB took a discontinued model, updated the graphics, added a BL option & gave it a new name = practically zero $$ on development costs." The original PB 1500Kv motor has been reborn as the Dynamite 1500Kv motor, so it's still a current production motor that's also used in the MG29v2.

...is there really that much a difference between the 2,or is the lower kv motor basically more efficient causing the increase in torque?...
YellowBird came up with as good an answer as any... "I think it has different internals in terms of the magnet design", sounds like a good answer to me. It was probably PB's first BLM, they learned from what-ever mistakes were made and came out with the 1500Kv & 1800Kv motors they use today. Like I said before, they're torque mysters, I have both of them. It is because of the 1500's greater torque that they can spin the larger prop. The 1800 spins that same size prop in the IM31 V1 & V2.

I covered the subject of props in post #100, so I will refer you back to this website... http://rcraceboats.webnode.gr/news/gas-prop-essentials/

Ok, bin feelin kinda crappy today, feel better now, so time to get to work...

Happy Boating to all:smile:

thanks for the reply J.W.i already figured out the Impulse 26 and the Shockwave V3 were basically the same boat,just done up a bit.(I compare it to a base 69 Camaro to a Z28 lol).as far as the difference between the 2 motors,im still trying to figure out why they went with a lower kv motor instead of the original 2900.i have been doing a lot of reading,and I don't really see a difference between a higher rpm motor using a smaller prop,and a lower rpm motor that uses a larger prop(if the said voltage is the same).is there really that much a difference between the 2,or is the lower kv motor basically more efficient causing the increase in torque? it sounds to me like its a crapshoot really,unless there is a big difference between the 2.im guessing the higher kv with the same voltage and smaller prop would be a faster boat than vice a versa.i apologize for the questions,and keeping you away from your projects,just very curious.thanks again for your responses.

yellowbird
07-08-2013, 08:55 PM
Hi all

To clarify, the 2900kv motor is actually a 2-pole design while the 1500kv is a 6-pole design. The higher pole motors have higher torque.

I suspect the design change to 1500kv was done to simplify the number of motors to be carried in the factory/ spare parts business - by using the more powerful motor with a single 3S battery it keeps the costs of the charger, battery and speed controllers down for first-time shoppers. The bigger 1.6" x 2.5" prop simply suits the high-torque motor better than the old 1.34" x 2.06" of the original boat so that came out of the "parts bin" as well.

Also, the original 30A brushless speed controllers had a habit of catching fire if overloaded with bigger props or even stock, whereas the 45A ESC seems to be much more reliable.

- yellowbird

bigcam406
07-08-2013, 11:35 PM
thanks for the replies and your time guys.

J.W. Pepper
07-12-2013, 12:31 AM
@YellowBird - Thank you!! - I knew there had to be some reason for the high KV rating, the 2-pole design answered my question. There was no torque, so they made up for it with RPM's.

I already knew the PB 1500Kv & 1800Kv motors are 6-pole as are they're Dynamite replacements; as well as both AQ's boat motors - 1800Kv MC, SVR, Revolt and 2030Kv for the UL-1.

Post #50 in this thread.... http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?42020-Hobbyking-boats/page2 - Cheif stated the new Dynamite motors are the same as the old PB motors and quoted a very knowledgable source.

@Bigcam406 - I have a SW26 brushed on the way, due next Tues. If this oppressive heat wave will ever let up (me & the porcelain god were talking into the wee hours this morning cuz of it), I'll try to get the maiden run in by the weekend. First run is going to be stock out of the box except for the normal pre-run maintenance & a replacement motor coupler. I'm not expecting anything really exciting, just want to make sure all the stock parts work correctly before I dive in and start modding stuff.

After that, Im going with the 1800Kv IM31 motor with a SK90A ESC; will try several different props and see what happens. While I was still trying to decide between the MG24 & SW26, I was trying to figure out what prop size I would use with the MG24 upgraded to BL. And finally found the picture that tells a 1000 words... http://www.ebay.com/itm/VXP-FAST-M436-Tongued-Upgraded-X436-CNC-Prop-36mm-1-4p-4mm-EP-Propeller-Boat-/310661903095?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4854e472f7 - side-by-side comparison of the Octura "M" and "X" style props.

Lenny's been telling me to run a 3-blade prop on my Rio to solve the torque roll issue. Every time I do, torque roll goes away and so does top end speed. After seeing that pic, I'm whacking the ears off one of my x436/3's in case I have torque roll issues with SW26 after upgrading to BL. I don't care, it's a $5 Venom plastic prop I bought for testing purposes, so fine I'll test with it.

If the 1800Kv still proves to be to much for it; fine I'll go back to my original plan of running the 1500Kv motor I got out of the swap shop recently. Jan doesn't CNC'ed x640's anymore and I recently read some rather discouraging info on the subject of pre-done S&B props, so not sure what I'll do bout a prop. Cross that bridge when I get to it.

Hi all

To clarify, the 2900kv motor is actually a 2-pole design while the 1500kv is a 6-pole design. The higher pole motors have higher torque.

I suspect the design change to 1500kv was done to simplify the number of motors to be carried in the factory/ spare parts business - by using the more powerful motor with a single 3S battery it keeps the costs of the charger, battery and speed controllers down for first-time shoppers. The bigger 1.6" x 2.5" prop simply suits the high-torque motor better than the old 1.34" x 2.06" of the original boat so that came out of the "parts bin" as well.

Also, the original 30A brushless speed controllers had a habit of catching fire if overloaded with bigger props or even stock, whereas the 45A ESC seems to be much more reliable.

- yellowbird

bigcam406
07-12-2013, 08:33 AM
sorry your not feeling well,J.W. hope your feeling better soon.keep us posted on your results.

J.W. Pepper
07-23-2013, 05:46 PM
So long as I stay inside I'm fine. I was checking out Accuweather.com the other day... normal temps for this area at this time of year are mid to high 80's.

This year it's been very high 90's with real-feel's in the 100's, some days temps are just south of 110°. WAAAYYYY too much for this just shy of 60-year old man.

I don't think I'm going to get much boating done this year. Got a new body for my Slash, need to get the RPM front bumper so it will fit correctly. I can run it around my apartments after the sun goes down till dark, around 9-ish.

Also finally got my Blade Tandem rescue heli re-assembled, crashed it bad last summer. Had the parts, just needed to get off my a$$ and work on getting everything put back together. Still have some fine tuning to do to make it fly better. Got a new body & light harness, just have to figure out which lights go where so I can put it on.

sorry your not feeling well,J.W. hope your feeling better soon.keep us posted on your results.

Boat_guy
08-18-2013, 08:24 PM
The 1.6" x 2.5" prop looks like this... 1.60"(40.64mm) x 1.5625"(39.6875mm) pitch - for a total pitch of: 1.6 x 1.5625"= 2.50"(63.5mm). It's very close in size to the Octura x640 - 1.5748"(40mm) diameter x 1.6"(40.64mm) pitch - for a total of 1.5748" x 1.6" = 2.51968"(63.9999mm).

Sup guys! I'm actually waiting for my Pro Boat Shockwave 26 BL to arrive sometime next week. I have been reading about props and noticed that a lot of Pro Boat Shockwave 26 BL owners run the x435 prop.

Based on the quote above, has anyone actually tried the Octura x640 prop on their Pro Boat Shockwave 26 BL? I have not read or seen videos of anybody with a Pro Boat Shockwave 26 BL that runs the Octura x640 prop. Would there be heat issues? ESC getting toasted?

Thanks in advance!

bigcam406
08-19-2013, 11:31 AM
the x435 prop mentioned previous is suitable for the shockwave v2 which comes equipped with a 2900kv motor.the v3 comes with a 1500kv motor,which has been explained to me as having much more torque,which can spin a larger prop with no issues.the 640 you mentioned has similar specs as the stock prop which comes with the v3.i don't think there would be a problem using it,though,maybe others could chime in,as im no expert on props,but the specs look similar to stock.

Boat_guy
08-19-2013, 12:57 PM
the x435 prop mentioned previous is suitable for the shockwave v2 which comes equipped with a 2900kv motor.the v3 comes with a 1500kv motor,which has been explained to me as having much more torque,which can spin a larger prop with no issues.the 640 you mentioned has similar specs as the stock prop which comes with the v3.i don't think there would be a problem using it,though,maybe others could chime in,as im no expert on props,but the specs look similar to stock.

The V3 has more torque and it definitely could spin a larger prop. Although the x640 has similar specs to the the stock prop, the V3 it may not be able handle that prop due to it's weight (Being metal) and this may cause issues. That's the reason why I asked if anyone has any experience with that particular prop. I just want to make sure that the $39.99 for the x640 prop is worth the investment.

Thanks for the input btw. :thumbup1:

ray schrauwen
08-19-2013, 01:14 PM
With the PB using the 1500kv geico motor, there is no problem turning a x640 prop or an x642 for that matter but, start small.

lenny
08-19-2013, 07:11 PM
What amp is the stock esc 45a ?
If it was me I would try and find a good used x440/3 prop and see how it runs.

The V3 has more torque and it definitely could spin a larger prop. Although the x640 has similar specs to the the stock prop, the V3 it may not be able handle that prop due to it's weight (Being metal) and this may cause issues. That's the reason why I asked if anyone has any experience with that particular prop. I just want to make sure that the $39.99 for the x640 prop is worth the investment.

Thanks for the input btw. :thumbup1:

yellowbird
08-19-2013, 08:21 PM
The stock prop is a plastic 1.6" x 2.5". ProBoat make a stainless steel upgrade/ replacement for this prop for $12 - part number PRB4019. I's suggest this as a budget upgrade before spending lots of cash on something from Octura - it will give better performance and be less likely to break a blade than the original plastic prop.

-yellowbird

Boat_guy
08-20-2013, 12:18 AM
With the PB using the 1500kv geico motor, there is no problem turning a x640 prop or an x642 for that matter but, start small.

With what you said, I might try the x640.

Thanks!

What amp is the stock esc 45a ?
If it was me I would try and find a good used x440/3 prop and see how it runs.
The stock esc = 45 amps. Will that help in spinning a heavier prop? Or does the motor determine this ability to spin props?

You made my choice harder man. Lol! Now, i have to look into the prop that you just mentioned.

The stock prop is a plastic 1.6" x 2.5". ProBoat make a stainless steel upgrade/ replacement for this prop for $12 - part number PRB4019. I's suggest this as a budget upgrade before spending lots of cash on something from Octura - it will give better performance and be less likely to break a blade than the original plastic prop.

-yellowbird

I actually saw that prop on pro boats website. Your right btw. I may have to try this prop first before going for the octura. Being $12, and as stated on the website, this prop still needs to be balanced, shaved, and polished.

bigcam406
08-20-2013, 09:24 AM
also remember,a balanced and sharpened prop will produce less stress on the running gear than an unbalanced/non sharpened one.it will be lighter as well.the easier it cuts through the water,the better.i'd go with the b/s 640.