PDA

View Full Version : Mini X

Jesse J
03-17-2010, 10:52 AM
Second run here, still waiting for the big pond to open up. She is lookin real good though. Added some trim tabs and moved batteries a bit forward. Man this thing hooks - bet it has to do with extreme deep vee. She also is not a big fan of going straight, another deep vee drawback. Need some chop to make her smile big.

Here is vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJF-coVeZxM)

damfurst
03-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Looks really good and alot smoother Jesse:thumbup1:

bigpapa
03-17-2010, 11:20 AM
great video as usual jesse

bigpapa
03-17-2010, 11:21 AM
what was the speed

Jesse J
03-17-2010, 11:29 AM
She speed was 31 on the GPS. Very happy. Now I need to learn how to drive another type of boat. She handles very different. Very hooky. I wonder if it is too much weight forward?

So I have the three variables:
weight COG
trim tabs
and strut angle.

My thinking for next run is weight farther back, strut up more and trim tabs a tad more down. I know I should do one thing at a time.... but do we always do what we should?

I recon I can make the rudder angle give me more bow up on the turns? this would make a fourth variable.

MarkF
03-17-2010, 05:20 PM
The quickest way to burn up a controller is to run your boat at part throttle like that. Wait for the bigger lake. Also the 6 series props have a lot of lift. Never liked the way they make my monos handle. Try a Octura M445 prop. Also too forward cg will make the boat hook, so will a high lift prop.

Mark

LiPo Power
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
What is the power plant you are using on this boat Jessie? ( Pro Boat motor by any chance? )
BDW Looks good!!!
Robert

Rumdog
03-17-2010, 07:06 PM
I think he's running a 12L on 4s with a himodel 125. That esc should handle part throttle on that seup. (hopefully)

westbeach
03-17-2010, 07:15 PM
It's a sexy looking boat for sure! Run's real nice too. Gonna paint her up Jesse?

Jesse J
03-17-2010, 08:50 PM
The quickest way to burn up a controller is to run your boat at part throttle like that. Wait for the bigger lake.

Mark

Where's the data? I have never seen any data to support this claim. If there is data I'd like to know. This is an aircraft controller and I don't know of any airplanes that go full throttle the whole time. Besides, I never punch it straight from a slow run.

thanks for the input and don't mean to sound snappy - hope you understand.

Xcesive8
03-17-2010, 09:23 PM
:iagree: Id like to see evidence aswell :popcorn2:

tth
03-17-2010, 09:28 PM
Glad to see her on the wet stuff Brother J.....keep up the good work.

I have my DF33 back on the drawing board and now I also have a motor for the Liftmaster rigger (Neu 1521/.5y) also Dave also hooked me up with a Neu 2215 2y(10s2p) for my DF41. I hopefully will be able to get the wife to take some footage this weekend, stay tuned...........

MarkF
03-17-2010, 10:07 PM
This is pretty common kwowledgs guys. Besides, airplanes dont load up the controller like boats do. I am an airplane guy and I can tell you I have burned up pleanty of controllers in my planes. Anyways, dont take my word for it, ask Castle, Schulze, Jeti, etc and all the cheap Asian controllers manufacturers if I am right. I'm sure Castle spells it out on there website somewere.

Mark

tth
03-17-2010, 10:26 PM
Mark is right Jesse, the controller will heat up considerably more while partial throttle,or also on/off throttle driving. It makes the controller work overtime.

Jesse J
03-17-2010, 11:48 PM
Thanks Tracy, will be looking forward to your update and vids

Common knowledge or commonly stated? I just asked for data, I have heard it lots but have not seen anything that states why. I measured temps after the run and it was 76F on the controller after 15 minutes of mid, low and full throttle.

Andy Kuntz ....... where are you? or anybody that can explain why or can point to a place where it is explained with data.

Cheers,
J

Jesse J
03-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Went out again, here's a cool angle my wife found up higher. I found that she (the boat not my wife) turned great at 20mph and below, but above that.... she would rather roll over than turn sharp. I am ready for the big ponds to melt.................

oQqToiv1DN4

If you want to see it in Youtube click here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oQqToiv1DN4)

damfurst
03-18-2010, 07:58 PM
Hey Jesse, Hope it thaws out more for you there. Most of the ponds thawed out last nite here, but then it snowed off and on again all day so we'll see if they stay that way or not. Anyway it might be nice to open her up on a big one here if it works out for you. She looks plenty fast enough.

Jesse J
03-18-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks Wes. Yes fast enough - I think she will get unstable if I go much faster than mid thirties. Although, I am guessing that with a 2-4" chop she ought to run REALLLLLLLLLLL nice. I will have to try some higher voltage, but will be waiting until I have multiple rescue craft options and a big open water. We'll see about Sunday, wife is wrapping up classes but we were wanting a day trip. will be in touch

tiqueman
03-18-2010, 10:54 PM
Veeery nice Jesse. She looks great. Lovin that hull!

Jesse J
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Man, this is SUCH a great hull!!! So glad I swapped my DF 26 for this. we got 300 photos and many good ones in there.

Here is the lone vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgM5p3Yvkk) we got.

tiqueman
04-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Man, this is SUCH a great hull!!! So glad I swapped my DF 26 for this. we got 300 photos and many good ones in there.

Here is the lone vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mgM5p3Yvkk) we got.

Jesse, that boat rocks! Again, Great job! I cant believe how well shes handling that chop. Im watching it thinking.. "okay, my SV would go upside down there.. and there.. Oh and there...." What a great boat! Keep the vids coming. :thumbup1:

befu
04-12-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Tracy, will be looking forward to your update and vids

Common knowledge or commonly stated? I just asked for data, I have heard it lots but have not seen anything that states why. I measured temps after the run and it was 76F on the controller after 15 minutes of mid, low and full throttle.

Andy Kuntz ....... where are you? or anybody that can explain why or can point to a place where it is explained with data.

Cheers,
J

I am also interested in the "why" on this. The old brushed controllers I could understand as the chip needed to turn on and off, but at WOT it would just lock on. but the whole point of a brushless controller is to turn on and off to simulate a 3 phrase voltage, correct? Seems partial throttle would be easier as the cycle time is longer and the current lower. Or is the current higher but for a shorter dwell? I would also love to see the data and graphs on this. an interesting problem...... Anyone?

Brian

Oh, and great job on the boat man. My heart has always been with the deep vee's and running in the rough since my gasser days. but now I am not close to any ponds that get that rough, so more into cats and shallow vee's. i am envious, love the background.

Jesse J
04-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Thanks guys, its snowing today... so guess I'll be waiting till the weekend.

here is another vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_pJiqTyR7A) from Sunday... my other vee, the Challenger. She is pretty sweet, anybody have an idea why she turns so flat? less vee, more lift strakes?

tiqueman
04-13-2010, 11:03 AM
Thanks guys, its snowing today... so guess I'll be waiting till the weekend.

here is another vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_pJiqTyR7A) from Sunday... my other vee, the Challenger. She is pretty sweet, anybody have an idea why she turns so flat? less vee, more lift strakes?

Looks nice and looks as if shes turning normally to me. The amount of Vee would affect the lean attitude though.

Jesse J
04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
I'll have to post a vid on flat water, I guess its not as noticeable on the chop. No, she is runnin great, not complainin. A couple of submarines too, gotta love it when she is out of sight for 3-4 seconds.... pops back out and ready to rock

tiqueman
04-13-2010, 11:32 AM
I'll have to post a vid on flat water, I guess its not as noticeable on the chop. No, she is runnin great, not complainin. A couple of submarines too, gotta love it when she is out of sight for 3-4 seconds.... pops back out and ready to rock

And wondering where it will pop back out and what direction.. Good times.

I had a 43" Challenger, gas pwrd. I wish I never sold that boat....

Jesse J
04-13-2010, 11:44 AM
oooooo that IS a sweet boat!

I am drooling over the big daddy XXX... twin outdrives.... twin Neus - $2000 before batteries...

highndry
04-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Re: esc temps wot vs anything else, my boats run cooler at wot in spite of any technical data to the contrary. But, then again, I never run anything less....

Jesse J
08-17-2010, 01:12 AM
Ran some boats with Dad, here is one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2DYxzInPlQ) of the SNAV OSG Team tearin it up. Had to put in some Italian rock to set the stage. Rough water and still shots at the end... so stay with it - just a hair over 4 minutes.

Jesse J
06-02-2011, 03:13 PM
So, Bigbore asked for a slo mo vid of the SNAV.

Here is part 1 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMDiwsWJZz4). the second will be a little rougher water.
here is part due, rough (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYNI8oxIKCE)

kinda like the Turners.... nice........ and rough