PDA

View Full Version : The Libertarian Party?

m4a1usr
03-12-2010, 04:20 PM
Since change was what the current adminstration ran on to get elected and like typical politicians cannot live up to those promises because of the entrenched washington mentality, not to mention there is little to fear from the general public other then them getting voted out only to have the new wave of rhetoric echo the capital's halls. More of the old ways.

Well I decided to take a gander at a different party and see if they are worth looking into. Heres the link I found.

John

http://www.lp.org/issues/current-issues

raptor347
03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
I've been a registered Libertarian for quite a few years. To me, it makes sense. Not everyone will agree, but that's their right (for now).

Fluid
03-12-2010, 10:11 PM
While third-party state and federal legislators make good sense, let's not lose our minds here. A third-party presidential candidate is not only unelectable, he/she'd be pure poison. Just look what that self-promoting a$$ Ross Perot did for us in 1992 if you doubt this - he gave us Bill Clinton (who got just 43% of the electoral vote). A serious third-party candidate just guarantees four more years of Obama.

RCprince
03-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Regardless of us getting Clinton, I wish we had ten different parties running, This 2 party system is Un-AMERICAN, I'm sick of both of them

AndyKunz
03-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Why don't you just move about 90 miles southeast of Miami then. No 2-party systems there.

Andy

befu
03-12-2010, 11:01 PM
While third-party state and federal legislators make good sense, let's not lose our minds here. A third-party presidential candidate is not only unelectable, he/she'd be pure poison. Just look what that self-promoting a$$ Ross Perot did for us in 1992 if you doubt this - he gave us Bill Clinton (who got just 43% of the electoral vote). A serious third-party candidate just guarantees four more years of Obama.

The problem is, many people are tired of voting for the less sucky person. I know what you say and understand it, that you are throwing your vote away by voting for a third party. But if the dems and repubs are both sucking, aren't you throwing your vote away anyways? Throw it away and send a message. Thinking that way, didn't 49% of americans throw thier vote away last election?

I am tired of the two choices in the national election. I feel like I am thowing my vote away by voting for either of them. My vote says they are both leading us in the wrong direction. Not sure it matters anymore.....

Brian

m4a1usr
03-12-2010, 11:07 PM
What I dont get is why our 2 primary parties dont see the fact they do not effect the will of the people. Can it be they accept the advice of their pollsters and ignore the real meat at the heart america? Thats like going to vegas and betting on number 7 every time they toss the dice! Adaptation is what keeps anything ahead of the game. Are they so blind in their domination of politics they dont think we are going to make some form of change. Its probably sheer arrogance on their part but change is coming and I think they are going to be so blindsided once it happens that its going to take more then one adminstration's change to recover.

Personaly I cant wait. An independent president could speak volumes to the "system". And I dont mean our policy's. Just the obvious fact of beating a dem or rep. There is so much more to our country then the parties seem to care about. This coming election I might have to jump ship and aid in bringing change to the elections.

John

domwilson
03-12-2010, 11:31 PM
Perhaps the problem is not the parties but the opportunities afforded them for personal growth by special interest groups? They seem to have the attitude of who cares if it is good for the people as long as I can make a few bucks or get my name in the paper.

RCprince
03-13-2010, 08:26 AM
Why don't you just move about 90 miles southeast of Miami then. No 2-party systems there.

Andy

That's always the Answer. :confused2: But the real irony in your answer is it's usually communist who limit choices, you have something you wanna tell us.

Dr. Jet
03-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Perhaps the problem is not the parties but the opportunities afforded them for personal growth by special interest groups? They seem to have the attitude of who cares if it is good for the people as long as I can make a few bucks or get my name in the paper.

The problem is that we have an elitist ruling class (Dems and Repubs). They pass laws for us, the little people, and exempt themselves from it (the Healthcare bill currently under discussion for example).

Nancy Pelosi comandeers military aircraft to fly her family around, demands large Boeings to fly her arounfd the country (no peasant Gulfstreams for her).

This is not what our founding fathers had in mind back in 1776.

A third party is a great idea, but Jay is 100% right. Dingy Harry Reid is trying to put a "Tea Party" candidate on the ballot in Nevada to split the conservative vote and guaranteee his re-election.

Ronald Reagan said it years ago: We do not need a third party, what we need is a re-vitalized Republican Party. Get rid of the self-serving egotists and vote in true conservative patriots. I think the best thing that could happen is to have one-term limits on all politicians.

Fluid
03-13-2010, 11:06 AM
The problem is, many people are tired of voting for the less sucky person...

Those with an understanding of history would not make such a remark. Go back 150 years and read the editorial pages of big city newspapers and you'd see the same complaints - this is nothing new at all. Those who do not want "sucky" candidates should start a commune in the mountains and drop out....a third part isn't the answer - Teddy Roosevelt tried that too and failed. The answer is to become an informed voter and a participant in the party you like the most. Work from the inside to make the change - like Reagan did.

"Sending a message" by tossing away your vote is childish and certainly not in the interest of the country. 'You won't play like I want so I quit' is turning your back on the country, not helping to initiate change. The left wants uninformed voters - that's what happened in 2008 when we elected a pig-in-a-poke...we knew almost nothing about our President. He ran as a moderate yet governs as the most left-leaning executive in US history. Who's fault is that? The ignorant voters who did not demand to know more. They bought a "dream" that has turned into a nightmare.

Freedom isn't free and without effort - the electorate has to work at populating it's governing bodies. A lazy electorate gets $crewed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

m4a1usr
03-13-2010, 12:05 PM
I think your missing the point Jay. You know what fire for effect means. Thats the message I want sent. It does matter if loyal party members see traditional voters departing party lines,... and the past history of success or failure will not influence me nor should it be a guideline for inaction. We need a tsunami in voter participation to change bad government. Our two party system is not working.

I want more independents in office. And I think more Americans are feeling that way with each election. Trends seem to sweep this nation of ours. If we could show a shift of even as little as 15% of the voters opting to make the jump, both parties would take serious attention. And then do it in back to back elections would drive the message home.

I know we cant change Washington until we get rid of PAC's, special interest groups, lobbyists, but we have to start somewhere. Maybe, just maybe one of the parties will take notice and begin some of those changes to make them stand out as the better. I just know its becoming increasingly difficult each election to only have the option of selecting the least controversial of the candidates or the most popular, not whose the most qualified. Look at how Obama got in? I hope you guys see my point.

John

befu
03-14-2010, 09:50 PM
Those with an understanding of history would not make such a remark. Go back 150 years and read the editorial pages of big city newspapers and you'd see the same complaints - this is nothing new at all. Those who do not want "sucky" candidates should start a commune in the mountains and drop out....a third part isn't the answer - Teddy Roosevelt tried that too and failed. The answer is to become an informed voter and a participant in the party you like the most. Work from the inside to make the change - like Reagan did.

"Sending a message" by tossing away your vote is childish and certainly not in the interest of the country. 'You won't play like I want so I quit' is turning your back on the country, not helping to initiate change. The left wants uninformed voters - that's what happened in 2008 when we elected a pig-in-a-poke...we knew almost nothing about our President. He ran as a moderate yet governs as the most left-leaning executive in US history. Who's fault is that? The ignorant voters who did not demand to know more. They bought a "dream" that has turned into a nightmare.

Freedom isn't free and without effort - the electorate has to work at populating it's governing bodies. A lazy electorate gets $crewed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pig_in_a_poke

Not true. having spent a bit of time in Williamsburg and studying revolutionary America, it is amazing how little things have changed. I agree on that. But we have good times, we have bad times, we have changing times. parties also change what they believe in and what they support, history supports this.

This is not about just our president, current or the previous one. It is not about one party or the other, it is both. Niether is doing a good job of being fiscally responsible. The last administation was great in comparison to this one on spending, but when compared to his previous, he was going down hill fast. And with support from Congress, it takes both of them to do this.

We are going broke, beyond broke, and fast. Both parties will not stop spending. I am tired of voting for the same type of people but somehow expecting different results. I will gladly stand up and shout I was wrong when everything is OK a few years down the road. till then, I keep simplifying my life and trying to help others get back to the basics and build skills.

So, how do you like that CAR15? Trying to decide on my next integrally suppressed 9mm carbine. Not sure if I should go the CAR15-9mm route, us one of my xm15 lowers or go with a MP5sd semi. Are you a fellow tax stamp collector?

Brian