PDA

View Full Version : Water inlet/outlet tubing

Colby
03-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Is the tubing used for routing the water same as the fuel line tubing used for nitro RCs? Which size is it? How difficult is it to get the tubing out and back through the hole in the transum? On my stock UL-1 the inlet tubing that goes from the top of the rudder got cut/chewed up by the prop. For now I got a plastic cupler (used for sprinkler tubing) to reconnect the two ends after I shortened them slightly but would ultimately like to replace the entire tubing. I gave it a slight tug to see how difficult it was going to be to get it through the transum and it did NOT budge. Anyone have experience on replacing the inlet water tubing?
Thanks for the feedback.

Diesel6401
03-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Is the tubing used for routing the water same as the fuel line tubing used for nitro RCs? Which size is it? How difficult is it to get the tubing out and back through the hole in the transum? On my stock UL-1 the inlet tubing that goes from the top of the rudder got cut/chewed up by the prop. For now I got a plastic cupler (used for sprinkler tubing) to reconnect the two ends after I shortened them slightly but would ultimately like to replace the entire tubing. I gave it a slight tug to see how difficult it was going to be to get it through the transum and it did NOT budge. Anyone have experience on replacing the inlet water tubing?
Thanks for the feedback.

Yes its fuel tubing you can pick it up at any local hobby shop 3/16 outside diameter works fine. I used a drill bit to ever so gently clean the hole up to allow the tube to go in. Shouldn't take longer than a minute if that to install.

Colby
03-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Thanks for the info Diesel ... I'll get the tubing tomorrow. Once you run the new tubing back through the transum, did you put any glue or anything between the new tubing and the transum?

Diesel6401
03-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Thanks for the info Diesel ... I'll get the tubing tomorrow. Once you run the new tubing back through the transum, did you put any glue or anything between the new tubing and the transum?

No need. Right tubing size should be perfect fit.

Jeepers
03-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Colby it can be a bit of a pain to get the tubing back through the transom and the "sealed" radio compartment I would recommend putting a piece of brass tube through both and epoxy it into place much easier!.

Colby
03-11-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks Jeepers, I'll consider that as well. I did see a thread (UL-1 Performance and Modification: A Thread Summary) where a Capt Crash did just that but with an aluminum rod.

tharmer
03-11-2010, 10:42 PM
They also make a really cool aluminum thru-bulkhead fitting that looks really classy.
-t

bwells
03-11-2010, 10:53 PM
Try cutting the end of the tubing at a long angle and insert it enough to grab with needle nose pliers and pull. If you're going through 2 hulls or the hull and radio box, cut a longer angle

Brushless55
03-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Colby it can be a bit of a pain to get the tubing back through the transom and the "sealed" radio compartment I would recommend putting a piece of brass tube through both and epoxy it into place much easier!.

that's just what I did with my UL-1
I picked up some clear water line for the ice maker of a fridge.. the inside dia is much bigger than the stock tubing

Colby
03-12-2010, 08:45 AM
They also make a really cool aluminum thru-bulkhead fitting that looks really classy.
-t

Who makes these fittings? Do you by chance have a link?
Thanks

Drag Boat Bob
03-12-2010, 10:20 AM
Who makes these fittings? Do you by chance have a link?
Thanks

You can pick them up right here on OSE.

About half way down the page.
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=66

Colby
03-12-2010, 04:05 PM
Thanks, I just checked them out. Do you know which size works best with the UL-1?

Drag Boat Bob
03-12-2010, 04:37 PM
Thanks, I just checked them out. Do you know which size works best with the UL-1?

I bought the large one. The problem with the one I bought is that it is the same length as the distance between the transom and the inside of the tub. This means it does not extend into the tub for hose attachment or the nut. That may be the reason Crash used the aluminum tubing with it.

Drag Boat Bob
03-12-2010, 04:41 PM
that's just what I did with my UL-1
I picked up some clear water line for the ice maker of a fridge.. the inside dia is much bigger than the stock tubing

With that impressive Cat color scheme, I thought you would have found some shiny black water line...

Colby
03-12-2010, 06:38 PM
I bought the large one. The problem with the one I bought is that it is the same length as the distance between the transom and the inside of the tub. This means it does not extend into the tub for hose attachment or the nut. That may be the reason Crash used the aluminum tubing with it.

Then you are not talking about the :

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click picture for details! Product ID: aero-2014
Aluminum Bulkhead Fitting
In Stock: 64 Details

Aluminum bulkhead fitting for large size silicon tubing.

Price: $2.89

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
because this thing looks plenty long enough ... or are you talking about the:

Click picture for details! Product ID: etti-a029
Water Inlet/Outlet fitting 4mm
In Stock: 7 Details

Water inlets/outlet for a smooth 4mm hole. They can be glued in for ease of installation.

Each package contains (4) in total
-------------------------------------------------------------------

:unsure:

Drag Boat Bob
03-12-2010, 07:19 PM
Then you are not talking about the :

Click picture for details! Product ID: aero-2014
Aluminum Bulkhead Fitting
In Stock: 64 Details

Aluminum bulkhead fitting for large size silicon tubing.

Price: $2.89

because this thing looks plenty long enough ... or are you talking about the:

Click picture for details! Product ID: etti-a029
Water Inlet/Outlet fitting 4mm
In Stock: 7 Details

Water inlets/outlet for a smooth 4mm hole. They can be glued in for ease of installation.

Each package contains (4) in total
-------------------------------------------------------------------

:unsure:

I have the aero 2011 Large Water Outlet, but the body looks to be the same length as the aero 2014. Mine is 7/8" long (body only) and 1" overall.

The etti fittings are for motor water jackets and about the same size as the ones on your stock water jacket.

Hope this helps...

Colby
03-12-2010, 07:34 PM
I have the aero 2011 Large Water Outlet, but the body looks to be the same length as the aero 2014. Mine is 7/8" long (body only) and 1" overall.

The etti fittings are for motor water jackets and about the same size as the ones on your stock water jacket.

Hope this helps...

Yes it does and thanks! I'm a newbie to the RC boat arena and have read all your posts last year regarding prop testing. So now it being a year later, what is your favorite prop?

Drag Boat Bob
03-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Yes it does and thanks! I'm a newbie to the RC boat arena and have read all your posts last year regarding prop testing. So now it being a year later, what is your favorite prop?

I still have a couple that I haven't yet tried, but so far I still like the L38x63. It is not the fastest (50mph), but it seems to help my driving skills. A lot of guys use the L40x57-3 with very good results.

From time to time I put on the L42x66, but have to keep an eye on the temps.

Bob

Brushless55
03-12-2010, 11:39 PM
I still have a couple that I haven't yet tried, but so far I still like the L38x63. It is not the fastest (50mph), but it seems to help my driving skills. A lot of guys use the L40x57-3 with very good results.

From time to time I put on the L42x66, but have to keep an eye on the temps.

Bob

Wow, how does she run with the 42x66?
sounds like a lot of prop.. :thumbup1:

Drag Boat Bob
03-13-2010, 12:37 AM
Wow, how does she run with the 42x66?
sounds like a lot of prop.. :thumbup1:

Yeah it really is. 53mph avg with much better control than the m445. Next prop is going to be the Octura 1938. That is if the wind ever dies down.

Fired up the Vegas to pre-breakin the Novarossi motor. Holy crap what a difference from the Super Tiger. Not even on the same planet...

Capt. Crash
03-13-2010, 06:45 AM
The pretty alum bulkhead fitting i used was not long enough to get through both bulkheads. What I ended up with was the fitting butted up to the alum tubing connected with a short piece of fuel line all hidden inside the transom. I then sealed under the fitting and around the tubing where it comes out the inside bulkhead with clear silly cone. It don't leak so I'm happy.

Crash

Brushless55
03-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Yeah it really is. 53mph avg with much better control than the m445. Next prop is going to be the Octura 1938. That is if the wind ever dies down.

Fired up the Vegas to pre-breakin the Novarossi motor. Holy crap what a difference from the Super Tiger. Not even on the same planet...

Bob, how were your temps with that prop?

Drag Boat Bob
03-13-2010, 01:15 PM
Ever since I moved the water fitting locations on the stock water jacket (now goes in on the side and comes out on the top) my motor temps have been lower. If I remember correctly, the motor runs about 130-135 and the ESC 100-105. I keep the runs to around 3-3.5 minutes. So far, so good...

Brushless55
03-13-2010, 01:30 PM
Thanks man!
I will give that prop a try this spring..