PDA

View Full Version : Speed control voltage cutoff

Daveo
09-17-2007, 11:31 AM
My SV seems to shut down when the batteries are starting to get low. This has caused me to go swimming twice. It will start the motor then beep and the the motor will not turn any more until I unplug the battery and plug it back in. The rudder still moves but the motor is dead. I had it at the hobby shop but they said it was dead batteries. After I charged the batteries all works well. I am wondering if there is a low voltage cutoff and if there is what it is set for?

Thanks

daveo

Steven Vaccaro
09-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Its rumored to have a lvc but not sure of the setting. If I was in your shoes i would time my runs and run for less time than it takes to kill the packs. Also swimming after a dead boat is a real no no! :nono:

Daveo
09-17-2007, 11:49 AM
OK I am willing to not swim, But how do I get my dead boat?

kck741
09-17-2007, 07:02 PM
I thought the rule of thumb is to make about 7 or so passes and shut it down

McGary911
09-17-2007, 07:05 PM
OK I am willing to not swim, But how do I get my dead boat?

Get an old fishing pole, with some 12# plus test, and attach a tennis ball to the end. You can cast that past your disabled boat, and drag it back.....hooking it by the rudder seems to work best.

I've never really understood the don't swim after your boat thing :confused1: If you aren't a good swimmer, don't swim after your boat. In fact, don't do much unguarded swimming at all.....if you're a good swimmer, I don't see much of a problem taking a dip to cool off and to get your boat. I've had to do it a couple of times...most days I'd rather use the tennis ball, but after a quick 'gator check, i'm willing to get wet. Basically, just use your head. The advice in every owners manual about swimming is more of a lawyer thing.

Rex R
09-17-2007, 08:55 PM
LVC is set at 67% of the voltage at the time you plug in the batts. this is what makes it risky to run lipos...it will work(sorta) IF the lipos are FULLY charged when you energize the esc, however if you start with a couple of packs that are not fully charged (say during prop tests or setup where you run a minute or so then unplug to twiddle then go back out) you'll run the lipos down to far. standard prochedure; if/when the boat quits the 1st time(during a run) is to give it a minute(60sec) with your finger off the trigger, then try it and bring the boat in at low speed. you should have just enough power to make it back.

Daveo
09-18-2007, 09:32 AM
I thought that would be the case, but the way I have witnessed this work is that once the voltage cutoff has happend, the boat is dead untill power is cycled, which means the batteries have to be unplugged and pluged back in. I was hoping it would be like my electric cars and just get really slow.

ray schrauwen
09-18-2007, 02:28 PM
If this PDF loads up you will see what is available from this ESC in terms of Lipo use etc...

If not, just go to Tower Hobbies and look up the "silver series" 45 amp esc and the PDF is there to D/L.

I have not taken the time to read it all, sorry.

It's too big, sorry.

Here is the link: http://manuals.hobbico.com/gpm/gpmm1800-manual-v1_1.pdf

Fluid
09-18-2007, 02:58 PM
I've never really understood the don't swim after your boat thing :confused1: .....if you're a good swimmer, I don't see much of a problem taking a dip to cool off and to get your boat.The sad fact is that several good swimmers have died retrieving their boats in the past few years. So have some poor swimmers. Other reasons not to do it:

Hypothermia - Seen this firsthand, even if the water isn't freezing you can cramp and even die with no rescue - is your buddy a good swimmer?

Cramping - Most folks have had this happen - you are not planning to swim and may not be physically ready.

Parasites - This is more of a problem than many realize. Our lake in Alaska was often full of protozoans which entered the skin and caused severe skin rashes the next day. This does not address the problem of injesting parasites through the nose or mouth. Is your pond infested? Did you bother to check?

Poison - Some ponds are toxic, which means by skin contact or injestion you could poison yourself. Is your pond clean?

Injury - Some ponds are littered with broken glass, wire, cans, etc. which can cut your feet. If there are other boaters in the area they may continue running their boats while you are swimming. A razor sharp prop spinning at 30,000 rpm is dangerous....

Bottom line, it's your body, but in general swimming for a boat - which is difficult to do while holding the boat above the water - has proven dangerous. A toy boat is not worth your health or your life.

SJFE
09-18-2007, 04:49 PM
I only have one thing to add. If you insist on swimming. Ware a life vest @ very least. Dont use an intertube or anything you have to keep ahold of. If you do cramp or have underestimated your stamina you will not have to hold on. This dose nothing to protect you from 90% of what Fluid mentiond. But if you are lucky enought to have someone notice you or float back in you will live to boat again.

ice329
09-18-2007, 07:35 PM
Or bring her in before you heat and destroy the packs, or buy a tug boat. Just a thought. I learned something, I was under the impression there was no cut off on these esc's. Good to know but I am sure its not adiquate for lipo's?

whiplash
09-19-2007, 01:02 AM
hhhhhhmmmmmmmm...........