PDA

View Full Version : why bother to help

ozzie-crawl
03-08-2010, 04:30 AM
well considering i am of work for awhile i have been on a few forums trying to help a few guys, there seems to be a alarming amount of people out there giving stupid setups for noobs to run.
now i will be the first to admit i am no expert,but i hope i have learnt a bit in the last few years especially with some of the cheaper gear,feigao,himodel,turnigy etc
i know some guy had a bit of success run a 8xl on 6s for short runs,but now there are guys running around telling people this is a normal setup,and you can just run a turnigy 120a esc with this setup.
in trying to help one guy told me that people that know a lot more than me have said it will be fine.
well maybe i will just pull my head in and leave them to it.
well thats my rant :blah::blah:

Rex R
03-08-2010, 04:43 AM
I've probably seen similar posts...one reason I tend to stay logged out is to slow myself down before posting a rude response to something like; oh look if you use motor x and overvolt it 75k rpm will be yours...yeah right as if that would work. or the fellow convinced that the magic number for all boats is 30k rpm. oookay.
rex

Rex R
03-08-2010, 04:48 AM
we post because for every visible post there are likely a number of lurkers who might read and learn, that we never hear from that we do help. would it be nice to hear from them? you betcha. on occasion we do, its those folks we do it for.

ozzie-crawl
03-08-2010, 05:05 AM
i think rex it maybe a case of "what they want to hear"
if we say "no that's too many rpm" but some one else say "no 50,000 rpm is were you want it". they then listen to the one saying go for it.
i just see the more people that have success getting into FE we all benefit,if there first time fails badly they probably walk away.
i just know the mistakes i made and try and stop them from doing the same
but maybe that's just a road we all have to go down

Fluid
03-08-2010, 08:43 AM
YouTube is one of the best - and worst - things to happen to FE boats, IMO anyway. New boaters will take what they see as gospel, often with ruinous results.

Any anonymous fool can post a video of his boat running very fast, then claim any setup he wants. He doesn't have to say that when he brought in the boat the ESC was smoking and the motor magnets were shot. He doesn't have to say that the cells were puffed. He doesn't have to say that the excessive rpm ruined his strut and motor bearings in four runs. All he has to do is show what appears to be a stupid-fast run, make some silly GPS claim, and newbies will believe him. Then they will argue with good advice they get from experienced boaters claiming that "some guy" did it on YouTube and went 85 mph!

http://i46.tinypic.com/2mht0dk.gif

Flying Scotsman
03-08-2010, 11:41 AM
I will enter the fray on this debate....surpise!

As, has been discussed before many inexperienced boaters try to power hulls with rediculous setups, not realising they have a saw setup with marginal ESC's etc. Even the true racers will have their equipment maxed out BUT they understand the consequences of these setups if it goes poof. The majority of FE boaters run a sport setup and the really knowleagable ones try to improve the handling of the hull for all water conditions....it is not fun watching a boat sink, or catch on fire due to ??? I know the word but I will not print it as someone will get upset at honesty.
For the inexperienced boaters including myself ask your peers for advice when you want to run a hull of a different design or length than you are familiar with, prior to buying any equipment and even then watch out for bogus setups and buy an Eagle Tree or similar device, they are worth every penny on trying new setups

Douggie

tharmer
03-08-2010, 11:49 AM
So here's a serious question...does an electric motor have a torque curve?
-t

Flying Scotsman
03-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Yes, and I believe it is at maximum torque at start up

Douggie

AndyKunz
03-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Maximum torque at 0 RPM, minimum torque at maximum RPM (no load, RPM = Kv * V, but it has inertia due to rotating mass).

If you really want to understand motors, get The Motor Handbook by Bob Boucher of AstroFlight. Don't order it from Amazon - it takes longer than ordering direct from Astro.

Andy

marko500
03-08-2010, 03:19 PM
OK guys I'm one of the lurker/readers and I want to say thanks for all the advice you have unknowingly given me. When I started out I was running a 32" cat on a 8XL 4S setup and everything was running warm but not super hot. I was one of those that thought RPM = speed. One of the more experienced guys I run with talked me into trying a 10XL that was laying in the bottom of my tool box. Now everything runs cool, I can turn a larger more pitch prop and the boat is acually faster. Plus by lessening the stress and temps I hope everything lasts longer. So again thanks!

Mark

ozzie-crawl
03-08-2010, 06:11 PM
its funny when i first started playing with brushless motors and lipo,s i had no Internet,every thing was trial and era,then when i started reading on the forums
i would see threads were guys would spend days and some times weeks tweaking there setups then get excited when they gained 2-3 mph, i used to laugh to myself and think why not just up the kv or add another cell.
now a few years on i find myself doing the same thing,scuffing the hull,tweaking the strut,playing with props,just to get the best i can out of my more moderate setup.
i also find myself trying to stop others going down the same route i did as it can get expensive and frustrating.
i hope these days i am a step up from being a noob,but i will still ask others thoughts on things i dont know or if setting up a new hull ask those who run one what there setup is.
thats the great thing about this hobby so much to learn :buttrock: