PDA

View Full Version : foam filler

amo123
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
am gettin my 32" cat going...cannot get and damn styro pieces in boat...anybody had luck with polyurethane foam filler (gap filler) tried the dap latex based, but will not dry or got bad bottle....any advise?

:doh:

Eodman
03-01-2010, 12:30 PM
No first hand experiencebut ---- it seems that from what i have read here you need to use it a little at a time and let it setup then spray a liitle more in and repeat till you have the amount you want!

befu
03-01-2010, 12:39 PM
Check the DAP window foam latex based. That might have been what I used one time on outside windows during construction. During the rain storm before the siding and flashing went up I found out that it is water soluble! Mine was bad enough, as flotation foam that would be even worse!

The standard expanding foam does work, but you have to spray in a little at a time or it will warp your hull or worse!

I use the two part expanding foam and have had good luck with it. It really expands evenly, fills the hull completely and then sets up hard really adding a LOT of strength to the hull. Some here have mentioned problems with this after a year or two as the foam they used shrunk a bit and deformed the deck. They were able to get the deck released from the foam and the deck looked fine. A mid point would be to use a wax or something on the deck and then do the foam. If it shrank, it would only stick to one side of the hull.

Hope this helps some.

Brian

Fluid
03-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Be aware that some two-part foams will shrink after time. I used one product commonly sold for R/C boats, and it workd great for several months. Then in the summer it got hot and started to shrink. Because it was firmly adhered to the deck, when the foam shrunk 15% it sucked the deck down. The result was an ugly warped boat! I was able to cut the foam away from the deck and the deck eventually popped back into place, but I won't be using two-part foam again (although the wax paper trick works). Pool noodles work great, cut them into strips if needed to fit in tight spaces. Water doesn't care what the shape of the floatation is, just the volume.

CornelP
03-01-2010, 02:04 PM
Last boat I did with foam, I covered the inside with cling film. It will stay there, but it does not stick to the wood... very easy done.