PDA

View Full Version : It's Official- IMPBA D12 is racing FE's in 2010 !!!!

Chilli
02-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Hey Guys, Just got back from Richmond. The District 12 meeting went well. We had some spirited debate on the subject of FE's and the district club officers voted overwhelmingly to let FE racers run in combined classes with the nitro guys in P-mono/B-mono, P-spec hydro/B-hydro and P-spec tunnel/B-tunnel. The rules need to be tweaked. Members that were present wanted more stringent spec rules so we will be running spec speed controllers among other things. Once the rules are finalized, I will post them here.

Here is the D12 Race Schedule for 2010.
May 14-16, Greensboro, NC
June 4-6, Queenstown, MD
June 25-27, Centreville, VA
August 27-29, Chesapeake, VA
September 24-26, Hagerstown, MD

Other Races:
Cheaspeake Bay Gas Clash: Queenstown, MD July 30-Aug 1st

We have a new web master for the D12 web site. Hopefully it will be updated shortly.

www.impba12.com/index.htm

Thank you all for your encouragement, support and guidance.
Special thanks to Doug Smock for his leadership.

egneg
02-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey Guys, Just got back from Richmond. The District 12 meeting went well. We had some spirited debate on the subject of FE's and the district club officers voted overwhelmingly to let FE racers run in combined classes with the nitro guys in P-mono/B-mono, P-spec hydro/B-hydro and P-spec tunnel/B-tunnel. The rules need to be tweaked. Members that were present wanted more stringent spec rules so we will be running spec speed controllers among other things. Once the rules are finalized, I will post them here.

Here is the D12 Race Schedule for 2010.
May 14-16, Greensboro, NC
June 4-6, Queenstown, MD
June 25-27, Centreville, VA
August 27-29, Chesapeake, VA
September 24-26, Hagerstown, MD

Other Races:
Cheaspeake Bay Gas Clash: Queenstown, MD July 30-Aug 1st

We have a new web master for the D12 web site. Hopefully it will be updated shortly.

www.impba12.com/index.htm

Thank you all for your encouragement, support and guidance.
Special thanks to Doug Smock for his leadership.

Great news Mike!
Looks like they are afraid of getting their A$$e$ kicked with the added spec ESC rules. It looks like I will try Tim as a contact as I still have not heard back from Preston Hall at ODMBA, but it could be that they were busy getting ready for the meeting.

Chilli
02-27-2010, 08:28 PM
Actually Chuck, The guys that requested the rule change have FE tunnels and were more concerned with parity among the FE boats. I incorporated rules that they have run under at the Tunnel Championships in Charleston (mooched NAMBA rules).

It's gonna be a great year !!!

Doug Smock
02-27-2010, 08:33 PM
Congratulations fellas, great news!!!!!

Chuck nobody likes to get their butt handed to them by technology or some guys wallet.
As long as you guys are competitive and NOT running over the top setups, you should have a good relationship with the nitro racers.
Maybe I can make one of your races this year, that would be a hoot!

Best of luck to you guys!!!!!!!!!! Now get some boats to the pond!!!!!!
Again, good work!!!!!
Doug :beerchug:

D&D
02-27-2010, 10:31 PM
Congradulations, good job Mike. I'll have to try and get to the Greensboro event and watch you FE guys run.

HOTWATER
02-28-2010, 05:40 AM
Heyyyy...Great job Mike! You're the man!!

Running a spec esc will be no problem. I think that having good driving skills will matter more than just having a fast boat...I like it!!

Doug, it would be fantastic to see you at one of the dist. 12 races!!

Let the trailblazing begin!!!!!!!

-Kent

Chilli
02-28-2010, 10:38 AM
Dennis, I wasnt planning on going down to Greensboro, but a few of the electric tunnel racers are going to be there so I might just head on down there. I'll let you know.

D. Newland
03-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Great work, Mike! Keep us posted on the progress you guys make for 2010.

I'm sure the FE racers in Dist 12 recognize your efforts and that they themselves make the effort field FE boats at these events. The follow through is going to be critical as you guys are really in uncharted territory for 2010...and it's great to see it!

Chilli
03-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the kind words David. It didnt take much effort. And I hope I will be an example for anyone who wants to get into FE racing where it isnt yet supported.

Here is what will hopefully be the final draft of the FE rules that we will be running this year. Barring any strong objections which I do not anticipate, this will be it guys. It may be tweaked by the district during the year if any unforseen problems arise. We have to make some concessions to even out the playing field with the nitro guys. But we are getting three classes this year which is very generous considering there were only two FE boats running novice last year. Like David said in the previous post. The ball is in our court now. We more than got our foot in the door. IMO the future is looking bright, We already have 5 nitro/gas drivers that will be running FE hydro's and tunnels.

Proposed D12 Open & FE/Nitro Combined Class Rules

Sections in red are not part of the rule, but an explanation to district and club officers of why the rule is needed.

1. All heats will be six laps unless specified in district race flyers. FE heats in Section J (Fast Electrics) are shorter. FE boaters need to know this so they can set up their boats for longer heats.

2. All heat starts will be in accordance with IMPBA Rulebook, Section G, Heat Racing Rules. Race starts (pit time & clock time) in Section J have different procedures. We want to keep in line with the nitro rules as much as possible to make things easier for the CDs and host club.

3. During a heat, a boat cannot stop for any reason. Doing so will result in being called a Dead Boat by the CD. A barrel roll, end over end flip or spin should not be called a dead boat as long as the boat continues in a forward motion. Racers shall respect the CD's judgment. When called a dead boat and the boat is capable of maneuvering, the racer shall hold his position until cleared by the CD. When cleared, the racer shall give way to all boats racing, then proceed directly to the infield and come to a stop behind the start buoy until the end of the heat. This rule is to reduce the advantage FE boats may have during situations that would lead to a stalled motor in a nitro boat. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J and is more stringent to level the playing field.

4. At the end of a heat as a boat finishes, one of two methods may be used:
A. A racer may choose to do a cool down lap and will continue all the way around the course before coming to shore.
B. A racer may choose to park in the middle of the race course. After the racer finishes the heat, the racer shall give way to all other boats and when safe to do so, pull into the course infield. The racer shall come to a stop and hold his position until all boats on their cool down lap have returned to shore. Only then may the racer may bring their boat in. A boats electronic speed controller will build up more heat at partial throttle than at full throttle. The cool down lap after a heat can put additional strain on the ESC and possible destroy it. This is a modified version of the FE rules found in section J. Section J is geared toward FE only and says that the CD will pick one method for an end of race procedure. This is not an option when running combined classes.

5. A qualified FE racer shall be designated to retrieve all dead boats after a heat if there is a dead FE boat on the pond.

6. In the spirit of good sportsmanship, any FE boats having a noticeable speed advantage over the faster nitro boats will be asked to detune their boats to ensure competitive racing. If they do not comply, they shall be disqualified from the class for the race weekend.

7. LiPo battery packs shall be charged on a flameproof surface such as a metal table, Pyrex Dish or Clay Pot. A dry fire extinguisher or extinguishing agent such as a bucket of sand shall be kept in all FE racers pit area or where batteries are being charged. LiPo packs got a bad rap when they first came into the RC world. Most mishaps occurred because people improperly handled them, abused them or continued to use damaged packs.

8. FE "P" Spec Hydro/Tunnel Rules:
A. Motor Specifications
The intent of the P-Spec Motor Specifications is to define a motor and Electronic Speed Control (ESC) package to be used in Limited Spec class racing. Motors and ESCs in these specifications shall be based on readily available parts from past, current, and/or future Ready-to-Run offerings by various manufacturers. Only motors and ESCs on the approved motor list shall be allowed. Motors and ESCs may be mixed and matched amongst the approved parts as desired. Motors and ESCs are intended to be used as they are supplied. Therefore, no alterations or modifications are allowed, unless specifically stated in these rules. Motor shall be directly connected to the output drive shaft, no gear/belt over/under drives will be allowed.
B. Approved Motors
The motors approved for P-Spec racing are:
ProBoat - PBR3310 A3630-1500 4 pole brushless motor (BJ26, Formula FastTech, Miss Elam FE)
AquaCraft - AQUG7000 L36/56 7.2-18V 6 pole brushless motor (SV27), AQUG7001 36-56-2030 6 pole brushless motor (UL-1 Superior)
C. Approved Electronic Speed Controls (ESC):
The ESCs approved for P-Spec racing are:
ProBoat - PBR3309 45 amp brushless ESC (BJ26, Formula FastTech, Miss Elam FE)
AquaCraft - AQUM7010 AquaCraft 45 amp waterproof ESC (SV27), AQUM7011 AquaCraft 60 amp water cooled/proof ESC (UL-1 Superior)
D. Cooling: Motors and ESCs may be cooled as desired. Water jackets, cooling plates, electronic fans, etc., may be added as desired, so long as they don't perform an otherwise illegal function.
E. Contacts and Wiring: Originally supplied contacts may be replaced. Wire length on the power and phase leads may be altered to facilitate installation. If lengthening the original wires, additional wire may be added to the factory supplied wires. If shortening the original wires, the final contact to the Motor or ESC must be made using the original wiring. The intent of this rule is to prevent the removal and replacement of the original wiring in its entirety, by requiring that the final contact to the Motor or ESC be made by the original wiring.
F. Capacitors: Extra Capacitors may be used to protect the speed controller from ripple current.
G. Battery: Any amount and/or size of motors, any endbell, bearings, and magnets. Power Limits: 10.1 to 15 Volts nominal, any chemistry. Maximum of 2 packs in parallel. Maximum capacity of 10,000 mAh
H. Hull: In P-Spec Tunnel Class only Outboard Tunnel Hulls may be used.

egneg
03-02-2010, 02:29 AM
Looks great Mike and seems to be more than fair.

RandyatBBY
03-02-2010, 09:05 PM
The only thing I would add to #3 is a safety precaution, that if the FE boat is pointing into on coming traffic the FE boat is allowed to stop and wait until the oncoming traffic goes safely by the FE Boat. Then the boat can proceed to turn around and re enter the race.

In district 9 NAMBA we also give a 5 second count in case of a thermal shut down. Unless you impede a moving boat then it is a disqualification.

Chilli
03-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Thats a tough one Randy. We're trying to even up the playing field with the nitro guys. I hope our drivers will use good judgement and take the DNF rather than risk smacking another boat. We're in uncharted territory and will wear out our welcome real quick if we dont use our noggins.

Diegoboy
03-03-2010, 08:56 PM
While running a brushless motor, we typically remove the motor decal to install a water jacket correct? What's to stop someone from getting one of these Ammo 36-56-2600 and passing it off as a UL-1 spec motor 36-56-2030? Both are the same gold color, both are the exact same dimensions. How would one know? Shouldn't there be more validation for this?

RandyatBBY
03-03-2010, 09:23 PM
Thats a tough one Randy. We're trying to even up the playing field with the nitro guys. I hope our drivers will use good judgement and take the DNF rather than risk smacking another boat. We're in uncharted territory and will wear out our welcome real quick if we dont use our noggins.

I race with the nitro guys all the time. I really want to make it evan too. I was looking at your rules to take part of them and write ones for my district.

Ya know with a nitro or gas boat they do not die every time they flip or do something weird. We have a 5 second rule if we stop for any reason we have 5 seconds to get going or it is a DNF.

My thought is to take the basic rules we have in FE Racing and blend them.

HOTWATER
03-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Randy, I really like the 5 second rule! When I used to run my glow boats, they would sometimes go completely under the water and come up seemingly dead but gurgling and then come right back alive...Great point out!! I think there should be a given time to get your boat collected....:iagree:

Mike....?

-Kent

Diegoboy
03-03-2010, 10:37 PM
While running a brushless motor, we typically remove the motor decal to install a water jacket correct? What's to stop someone from getting one of these Ammo 36-56-2600 and passing it off as a UL-1 spec motor 36-56-2030? Both are the same gold color, both are the exact same dimensions. How would one know? Shouldn't there be more validation for this?

http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons04269.gif

Either it's already being done and it's a touchy subject, or it's an incredibly stupid question. I hope for the latter.

Chilli
03-03-2010, 10:49 PM
Guys, there is no douby we're bending over backwards to address all concerns brought up buy the nitro guys. But considering my son and I were the only FE's in the district last year and despite some nitro racers feeling like they're being squeezed out, we are getting 3 FE classes next year. I feel the district has been more than generous to us. As David said, we're breaking new ground and I think we need to do everything we can to prevent conflicts and animosity. There are still advantages FE's will have over the nitro boats. FE's don't come off pipe. FE's don't flood when they cross a roostertail. And from what I see FE's seem to have more punch off the starting line when the buzzer goes off. I consider this a transitional year and I have no idea what the future brings. But I'm feeling pretty confident. We already have four nitro racers who will be running tunnels this year and two that will be running hydro's.

Randy, I'll be interested in taking a look at the rules you come up with. And I'll let you guys know what problems we encounter as the year progresses.

Danny, Someone briefly brought up tech inspections at the district meeting and no one saw the need for it. These guys have been racing a long time and are great guys, but if they notice a boat noticably outperforming the others, they will not hesitate to jump on that drivers behind.

Mike:smile:

Doug Smock
03-03-2010, 11:14 PM
That's one good thing about "Limited" setups. If a guy is cheating a flag will be raised. You should be able to hear the difference between those two motors.
Danny is it too late to send that 36-56-2600 back??LOL :just-kidding:

Once you guys get going this DNF thing should work itself out. IME the CDs at dist. races are pretty forgiving.
Concentrate on getting on the clock and holding your line.
Watch the heats you are not running in. Pay attention to the guy who gets on the clock and wins races. Get to know him, and ask him to be your pitman if he's not busy. A good pitman makes a BIG difference, and will make you a better racer.

Sorry for rambling, I just want ALL of you guys to do well.:blah:
Doug

Chilli
03-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Once you guys get going this DNF thing should work itself out. IME the CDs at dist. races are pretty forgiving. Doug

I agree, the CD's know you spend alot of time, effort and money to come to their race and they want to let you run. Even if they take a little heat for it.

Diegoboy
03-04-2010, 07:49 AM
Danny is it too late to send that 36-56-2600 back??LOL :just-kidding:
Doug

Yes it is. No worries though, I have special sound dampening mats inside my hull that are specifically designed to alter the frequency of any high rev motor to a much lower freq. It is said to match the sound of any lower rev motor with the proper fomula of density.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Standing_wave_2.gif
It's very simple really
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/c/3/4/c341b68cc831c40003358fae3ce27d4d.png = UL-1 motor sound

See??

Doug Smock
03-04-2010, 07:54 AM
Yes it is. No worries though, I have special sound dampening mats inside my hull that are specifically designed to alter the frequency of any high rev motor to a much lower freq. It is said to match the sound of any lower rev motor with the proper fomula of density.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7d/Standing_wave_2.gif
It's very simple really
http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/c/3/4/c341b68cc831c40003358fae3ce27d4d.png = UL-1 motor sound

See??

:roflol::laugh:
Well done sir!!

Meniscus
03-04-2010, 01:29 PM
That is hilarious!!! And coming from the one person who would never bend the rules as long as he's aware of them.

On a side note, I'm trying to get in touch with a buddy who received a SV27 motor as part of collective generosity to help him get on the water. With any luck, I'll be able to swap his motor out for a new one that's more appropriate for his setup and have a spec motor for the races. :thumbup1:

So, no catamarans this year? Did I read that right? Oh well, I guess it will have to be exhibition only.

egneg
03-04-2010, 02:43 PM
So Danny how does that work exactly?

Does it resonate at one of the lower frequency harmonics?

HOTWATER
03-04-2010, 03:07 PM
That is hilarious!!! And coming from the one person who would never bend the rules as long as he's aware of them.

On a side note, I'm trying to get in touch with a buddy who received a SV27 motor as part of collective generosity to help him get on the water. With any luck, I'll be able to swap his motor out for a new one that's more appropriate for his setup and have a spec motor for the races. :thumbup1:

So, no catamarans this year? Did I read that right? Oh well, I guess it will have to be exhibition only.

Awesome Ben! Do you already have an AC esc to use?

Danny...you crack me up!!:rofl:

-Kent

Meniscus
03-05-2010, 09:48 AM
...Do you already have an AC esc to use?...

I have a PB one. Are we going to allow mix and match?

And BTW, the frequency oscillates with harmonics with inverted phase. As you can see from the picture, as the original sound wave crests and wanes, the out of phase signal negates the additional amplitude and as this phase is shifted, the original frequency harmonics are shift to resonate lower. Just read up on Pythagoras and his 'music of the spheres' (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musica_universalis) as well as other theories. When a string is split in half, you get an octave, in thirds you get a perfect 5th, and so on and so forth. If you apply this reasoning as you adjust the phase, you can cause a different, lower harmonic to resonate more prominently than the primary since the primary is canceled out. :tongue_smilie: :laugh: You know I'm just kidding with ya, but it is true!!!

HOTWATER
03-05-2010, 10:42 AM
"I have a PB one. Are we going to allow mix and match?"

....Yes, you should be fine as long as it is a spec esc and spec motor...

-Kent

Diegoboy
03-06-2010, 08:30 AM
:cursing:
I can't get my formula to work... Plan B

WTB:
UL-1 Motor decal. In good condition, you pay shipping please.
:spy:

egneg
03-06-2010, 01:51 PM
I have received my registration for ODMBA. :thumbup1:

Chilli
03-06-2010, 03:33 PM
Excellant.

I got your props today. Nice job as always. I'm going to send you a X440 next week if thats okay. It will be my "dont spank the nitro" detune special.

egneg
03-06-2010, 07:14 PM
Excellant.

I got your props today. Nice job as always. I'm going to send you a X440 next week if thats okay. It will be my "dont spank the nitro" detune special.

An X440 ... sounds to me like you are giving away the race? :doh:

I think you may have some cavitation problems.

Chilli
03-06-2010, 09:40 PM
I have no idea what to expect. Just want to be prepared. Me and you are the only P-mono's as far as I know so we have to play nice if we want to run. Hopefully someday we can run our own class and let her rip.

Chilli
03-07-2010, 12:13 AM
Since there are no major objections on this board or the International Waters board by D12 members, I have submitted the FE Rules found on post 9 of this thread to Don for final approval. The D12 web site is being updated by the new administrator and the 2010 district race dates have been posted. Nothing left to do now except build some boats and go racing!!! :w00t:

D. Newland
03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Just thinking out loud about P Mono and what I would show up with if I were in your shoes.

I think I'd put my P Offshore setup on the water for the first race. It's very fast as it's my P mono setup with an X445 rather than an X450 (shaved to an X448), but safe on the amps and It will run for nearly 5 minutes. Get out on the clock, do 2 mill laps, race the 6, then the cool down and into the dock. I bet that would be a total runtime of 2:45 +/-.

Meniscus
03-08-2010, 01:16 PM
...Me and you are the only P-mono's as far as I know so we have to play nice if we want to run....

I'm planning on running that little No Step 1 for a good showing. I'll jump over the wake in the back, no problem. :laugh: I believe I can set it up fairly stable, but it'll only be going 40-42mph.

Just trying to help :thumbup1:

Chilli
03-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Thats awesome Ben. Stable is better than speed!!!

David what motor are you running with those props? Chuck and I are running the 1515 1Y. With a 642 I could do one mill lap, 6 heat laps and the dreaded cool down lap and thats about all my Etti 150 could safely handle. I just put a CC 240 in my Titan 33 and the cool down lap will no longer be required.

Diegoboy
03-08-2010, 03:26 PM
Does my Pistolero22 count? It begins with P :w00t:

D. Newland
03-08-2010, 04:56 PM
My P mono setup is a Titan 33, 1521 1.5D, Castle 240. I guess that would have been good info to share! I was just making a general comment that a/any P Offshore setup may be an option for that first race.

Chilli
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Thats cool David. Appreciate the info. I was thinking you were probably running the 1521. Do you run any ballast on your Titan to keep her on the water? I have about a pound of lead in mine.

egneg
03-08-2010, 06:08 PM
I tried to call Dick at ODMBA today but got a recording ... will try again tomorrow.

D. Newland
03-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Nope.

I use 4S2P 10,000 G3 25C Hyperion's. I'm not sure where I'm at w/the COG measurement...but the cells are 1/2 way tucked under the forward deck, if that makes sense. Motor aft of the cells. I kept dialing in tab/strut trim until it gave a slight hint of bow steer in calm water by myself, then I backed it off a hair. It's the only P mono that finished all 6 heats at the Az race 2 weekends ago. In fact, I can't recall the last time that boat DNF'd...P mono and P Offshore at the '09 Nats-nope. P Offshore at the Az race 2 weeks ago...nope...2008 Canadian Nat's took 2nd place in P Offshore behind Peterson, but I don't recall DNF'ing. Won P mono there with it, too.

Sorry-got side-tracked. Needless to say that boat likes to come back to the dock.

egneg
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I just got off the phone with Dick and things are good to go ... he seems to be very receptive to FE and told me quite a bit about the tunnels they are building. Looking forward to running with the guys!

Meniscus
03-09-2010, 09:43 AM
For clarity sake, does the tunnel have to have an FE outboard or can it have a mock outboard setup for the look and in fact be an inboard? I'd hate to consider something like that if it isn't going to be allowed.

In the spec class, it's the stock motor with no modifications or ever being opened up. For the unrestricted motor class, is there anything that would prevent someone from taking the motor apart and apply thread to keep the magnets in place or is it any motor period, modded or not?

Also, for these racing classes, only 4s and a maximum of 2p is allowable? Could someone explain why a 2s2p setup wouldn't be acceptable? I'm not trying to change any rules, but I am interested why it is 4s vice 'up to 4s'.

Chilli
03-09-2010, 02:51 PM
Ben, Tunnels have to be outboard powered. In the P-Spec class, no modifications to the motor are allowed. In the P class, anything goes. For the batteries, I just adopted the NAMBA rules which is what the memebers that attended the D12 meeting wanted. Looks like the voltage range in the rules cover 3S and 4S.

In other news, the race flyer was posted for the first D12 race (Carolina Showdown) in the International Waters Forum and there are no FE classes listed on the flyer. It is customary to include all the classes that the district chooses to run on the race fliers. FE's were not the only classes excluded. A few nitro classes that are in the D12 points series were also left out. Obviously I am not happy about this. But rather that getting in a pissing contest with the gentleman who posted the flyer, I'm keeping quiet for now because I feel this is District matter. Don is aware of the situation. I talked to my club president and he assured me the matter will get straightened out. I just hope this is not a trend that the other clubs will follow. It kind of defeats the whole purpose of all we have worked for over the last year.

dirtysouth31
03-09-2010, 08:41 PM
maybe they dont have a headcount of willing participants to warrant a fe race that day..and its club dependant to include it,if odmba is ok dont mean the others are

Chilli
03-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey Don. Good hearing from you. Since we are running combined classes this year, I thought it would be a no brainer. Plus I would think the host club would have an obligation to let racers outside the district know that the B's and P's will be racing together. I know a few of the D13 guys will show. Blaise said all IMBPA classes can run if there is enough participation, but P-hydro and P-tunnel are not IMPBA classes. They are district classes. Thats just my opinion and I'm sure it aint worth a hill of beans so I won't get involved. It would be nice to see the FE classes on the flyers though so we can attract new racers. I PM'ed Doug Smock and he described what was happening as growing pains. I thing he hit the nail on the head.

Chilli
03-10-2010, 11:40 PM
We'll, as it turns out, the gentleman that was tasked to do the race flyer for the Piedmont club was not aware the district is running combined classes this year. No one from the club attended the district meeting (it's a long drive) and I suspected that may have been part of the problem. So no biggie. The first little speed bump has be negotiated. I fully expect a few more as people get exposed to the new rules.

Initially I wasnt going to attend the Greensboro race, but there will probably be a few Spec Tunnels in attendance so I want to be there and see if any problems arise. I'll be bringing the rigger, mono and gas boat. We'll see what happens.:thumbup1:

I tried to upload the Greensboro flyer here, but apparently the file is too big. I'll figure a way to get it posted here. We have two months till the race and I know most of you guys were not planning on attending this one anyhow.

Have a good weekend guys!!! Looks like lots of rain.:ThumbsDown01:

Mike

Diegoboy
03-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Can I change the stock bullet connectore on a spec motor/esc to 5.5 without pissin' someone off?

Chilli
03-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Yes Sir.

Diegoboy
03-11-2010, 10:18 PM
Sweet!
I'll race the CF Zephyer 27 with the UL-1 power plant on 4S2P.

My viper with the Neu 1512 2D will be my sport hydro.

Can my micro Kat (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10649) race in any class?

Chilli
03-11-2010, 11:17 PM
That Zephyer is a good looking boat. What kind of packs will you be running Danny? You shouldnt need more that 4500 mAh total and thats being very conservative.

About the only thing the micro cat could run in is novice. And if you run novice, you can't run in any other class except perhaps a nitro RTR class.

Meniscus
03-12-2010, 09:46 AM
Danny, we'll have to do an exhibition showing what the other models can do. Maybe we can generate more interest as well. Perhaps this would be best done during open water.

I'd love to see some sort of SAWS event maybe next year. :ohmy:

Chilli
03-12-2010, 10:00 AM
The info isnt out yet but District 12 Spring SAW Event - Elizabeth City, NC April 8-11

Meniscus
03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
Allowing FE? What are the guidelines/rules? Wow, I'd have to work quick!

Chilli
03-12-2010, 05:02 PM
I think the SAWS event runs who ever shows up. I have no idea of the rules. Doug Smock is the IMPBA Records Director and a record holder so I'm sure he would know.

Doug Smock
03-12-2010, 05:39 PM
You can find the events in the ''Year list of Events" on the IMPBA website.http://www.impba.net/index.php?option=com_jevents&task=year.listevents&Itemid=155
Some events will be ''all IMPBA classes" some will have restrictions. Valdosta for instance is usually just FEs.
Some will be 1/16th mile straightaway, some will be 1/3 & 1/4 mile oval, some will run them all. It depends on what the host club and CD want to do.
The rules are in the rulebook.;)
http://www.impba.net/images/stories/Rulebook/sec-g.pdf starting on G-9.

The classes and new FE rules are in the Dec.2008 Roostertail starting on page 10.
http://www.impba.net/attachments/152_Dec08.pdf

The rulebook is scheduled for a makeover this year. The rules have been changing on all fronts faster than it has been updated.

Hope this helps.

Jeepers
03-12-2010, 07:01 PM
Sweet!
I'll race the CF Zephyer 27 with the UL-1 power plant on 4S2P.

My viper with the Neu 1512 2D will be my sport hydro.

UL1 motor on 4s 4200mah is more than enough in that Zephyer 27 also that boat will
like that 1512 2d motor much better than that Viper will!

Congrats guys on getting your club going!

Diegoboy
03-15-2010, 11:12 PM
That is most certainly true, but unfortunately I am being told what I can and cannot put in the Zephyer 27. :cursing:

Meniscus
03-16-2010, 12:56 PM
That is most certainly true, but unfortunately I am being told what I can and cannot put in the Zephyer 27. :cursing:
That is correct, you are being told...

None of this: :Shame_on_You:

:roflol:

Meanwhile, I'm hoping no one will say anything about my over-sized turn fin. :ohmy:

Chilli
03-20-2010, 05:58 PM
Hey Chuck, Did you run with ODMBA today? If so, how did it go?

egneg
03-20-2010, 07:18 PM
Yes - and I was told that my P-mono was competitive (in the 50's now). I just need a bit more time around the buoys (I burned up another speed controller on the 6th lap - this time it was a faulty speed controller). The boat was running wet so I will make adjustments and I will be back tomorrow! I think the guys were a bit surprised about the speed and stability of my boat at about 34". Thanks for asking Mike!

Chilli
03-20-2010, 11:33 PM
Glad you had good day. I was at the pond for about 5 hours today. Had a good time but was chasing some gremlins. Mikeys new boat was the first one in. I was surprised how the little Titan 29 handled the chop. I only have her set up for around 40 mph but other than some prop steer from turning the M445 with the 10XL, she did good. Then we had problems with Johns boat but isolated the problem to a bad crystal. She ran great with the new M445 you cut for me. Next came the gas Sniper. I couldnt have dreamed to have nailed the set up as well as I did. She screamed across the water and turned on a time without loosing any power in the turns. She ran just a touch wet in the calm water with just a hint of bow steer. Then on the second run, bad news. I was bringing her in and the throttle cut off was not working. I brough her back around and tried turning off the transmitter to engage the failsafe. Didnt work. I did a rookie move and paniced a bit running her onto the rocks. Turns out when the motor warmed up, the carb butterfly shaft was binding a little and would not let her down past quarter throttle. Oh well. Its a race boat and now it looks the part. Scratched the hull up pretty bad, kick back bolt on the rudder did it's job. Bent some of the hardware on the strut. Worst of all doinked up my $70, X472 prop.:doh: Threw the Titan 33 in with the new CC240 controller. She ran like she only had 3S packs in her. I will check the settings and connections and see what the problem is.

Have a good week!

egneg
03-21-2010, 08:26 AM
That is both good and bad news Mike. I am sure you will get things sorted out. A couple of guys had problems getting their boats to run as it was the first time we were allowed to use the lake this year. It looks like the club has found another lake in Va Bch (about 10 minutes from my house) for next year. :buttrock: They are working out the details with the city now.

dirtysouth31
03-21-2010, 08:44 AM
missed it yesterday chuck,next time

Chilli
03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Here is the flyer for the Carolina Showdown. Its the first D12 Race of the season and the first ever D12 race where FE's will be running with nitro classes. Not all the offered classes are listed on the flyer. Write in what you want to run. D12 FE rules are in the latest IMPBA Roostertails news letter and should be posted in the D12 web site soon. I do plan on attending.:thumbup1:

egneg
03-29-2010, 05:55 PM
Are you going to race any boats or going as a spectator?

Chilli
03-29-2010, 07:12 PM
I'm not going to drive 5 hours to sit on the sidelines Chuck. I'll be running P-Spec Rigger, P-mono and Stock Gas. Hotel reservations at the Red Roof Inn were only $50 a night. How about you. Thinking about coming down?

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 02:20 AM
Question for you guys. I am not a IMPBA member, but would like to check out the race since I have never been to one. Do I have to be a member to be a spectator or can me and my wife just show up for the event to check it out?

egneg
04-08-2010, 03:20 AM
No, you don't have to be a member to watch. I went to the big race last August before I joined and it was great to watch and see all the boats and team areas.

Chilli
04-08-2010, 07:12 AM
You can also stroll though the pit area and shoot the breeze with any of the racers. The only place that is off limits is the Hot Pits area which is a small area that should be roped off and well marked. This is where the gas/nitro guys crank up their boats before a heat.

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Very cool, i'll see if the wife is interested in going. Thanks alot.

Chilli
04-08-2010, 06:33 PM
I see your in the aviation business Dale. Where do you work out of?

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I see your in the aviation business Dale. Where do you work out of?

Currently I work at Charlotte-Douglas International (CLT), but in my career I have worked at:

Cincinnatti/Northern Kentucky (CVG)
Dulles International (IAD)
Columbus International (CMH)
Pittsburgh International (PIT)
Reagan National (DCA)

Chilli
04-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Cool. I'm an air traffic controller at Washington Center in Leesburg but the airspace I work is southeastern Virginia and the eastern half of NC (east of GSO). I do work all the CLT departures going the northeast. I'm sure I've worked some of your birds at one time or another. Ive been there 22 years.

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Cool. I'm an air traffic controller at Washington Center in Leesburg but the airspace I work is southeastern Virginia and the eastern half of NC (east of GSO). I do work all the CLT departures going the northeast. I'm sure I've worked some of your birds at one time or another. Ive been there 22 years.

That's awesome, i wanted to go to ATC school ( I was looking at Embry Riddle), a few years ago, but never went through with it :mad:. I love my job though, and aviation in genera. I'm sure you have worked my birds before callsign brickyard, chautauqua, mercury

Chilli
04-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Yep, every day.

BTW- If your wife has no idea how much you spend on boats, you might not want to take her to the race. She's going to see 20 foot trailers with a dozen boats in them, generators and A/C. She won't let you near us again. LOL Hope to meet you next month. Keep in touch. Maybe you'll get the bug and we can get you out there racing with us in the future. The racing is fun but even better, they are a great bunch of people!

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Yep, every day.

BTW- If your wife has no idea how much you spend on boats, you might not want to take her to the race. She's going to see 20 foot trailers with a dozen boats in them, generators and A/C. She won't let you near us again. LOL Hope to meet you next month. Keep in touch. Maybe you'll get the bug and we can get you out there racing with us in the future. The racing is fun but even better, they are a great bunch of people!

She has a little bit of a clue (she did buy me my ul-1 for x-mas), but everytime she sees a package in the mail she just shakes her head and says I dont even want to know lol. Hopefully we can make it their. Ill let you know. Thanks for all the great info and keep in touch.

egneg
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
I posted some pics from last year - posts 32 and 33.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9376&highlight=race&page=2

Chilli
04-08-2010, 07:47 PM
Guys, I updated my "Newbie's guide to a D12 Race Weekend" It may not be perfect, but there is alot of good info in it for first time race participants. It's a Word ".doc" file. Let me know if there are any corrections needed or questions.

Thanks!

Mike

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
I posted some pics from last year - posts 32 and 33.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=9376&highlight=race&page=2

That looks fun as hell. You weren't lying about trailors full of boats that's awesome. Maybe if the wife sees how many boats you guys have she won't think im bad...:tongue_smilie:

One thing I don't understand is the class's, hows that work and what does it mean?

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 07:56 PM
Guys, I updated my "Newbie's guide to a D12 Race Weekend" It may not be perfect, but there is alot of good info in it for first time race participants. It's a Word ".doc" file. Let me know if there are any corrections needed or questions.

Thanks!

Mike

Printing it now, thanks so much.

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 08:10 PM
I work friday and saturdays :cursing: so is their a good bit of racing on sundays?

Chilli
04-08-2010, 08:30 PM
From my experience we'll be racing probably from 8am to at least 2pm. They try to wrap it up as early as possible because many of us have a long ride home on Sunday.

The rules are a little hard to digest. It takes a while to put it all together. The current FE rules are in the December 2008 IMPBA Roostertails. Thats the IMPBA's quarterly newsletter. Page 11 has all the info on the classes.

To simplify the classes, they are generally divided by battery voltage and hull types. "P" is 4S Lipo's, "Q" is 6S Lipos, etc. The basic hull types are mono and hydro. Hydros can also subdivided into more specialized classes such as sport hydro, tunnels and cats. Clubs and Districts can run any of these classes or create their own to suite the demands of it's membership.

The Carolina race will mark the first time FE classes will be run in D12. They are letting us run the "P" (4S) powered boats with the "B" (.21) nitro boats. The FE classes being run will be P-mono, P-Spec Hydro and P-Spec Tunnel. The P-mono boats will run under IMPBA rules, you can run any motor you want. Our "spec" classes are not IMPBA classes but District 12 classes that we wrote our own rules for. However our rules are adopted from sucessful classes run in other districts and NAMBA. So the P-spec hydros and P-spec tunnels that will run are required to use either the UL-1, BJ26 or SV27 motor and ESC.

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 08:38 PM
From my experience we'll be racing probably from 8am to at least 2pm. They try to wrap it up as early as possible because many of us have a long ride home on Sunday.

The rules are a little hard to digest. It takes a while to put it all together. The current FE rules are in the December 2008 IMPBA Roostertails. Thats the IMPBA's quarterly newsletter. Page 11 has all the info on the classes.

To simplify the classes, they are generally divided by battery voltage and hull types. "P" is 4S Lipo's, "Q" is 6S Lipos, etc. The basic hull types are mono and hydro. Hydros can also subdivided into more specialized classes such as sport hydro, tunnels and cats. Clubs and Districts can run any of these classes or create their own to suite the demands of it's membership.

The Carolina race will mark the first time FE classes will be run in D12. They are letting us run the "P" (4S) powered boats with the "B" (.21) nitro boats. The FE classes being run will be P-mono, P-Spec Hydro and P-Spec Tunnel. The P-mono boats will run under IMPBA rules, you can run any motor you want. Our "spec" classes are not IMPBA classes but District 12 classes that we wrote our own rules for. However our rules are adopted from sucessful classes run in other districts and NAMBA. So the P-spec hydros and P-spec tunnels that will run are required to use either the UL-1, BJ26 or SV27 motor and ESC.

It's starting to come together. So can you run any type of mono hydro ect as long as it fits lenght, weight voltage ect.? Like Sv's running with DF's or HOR 25" mono would that be P-Mono?

Chilli
04-08-2010, 09:05 PM
Technically yes, but in a heat with up to 6 boats, the water is going to get pretty choppy. A SV 27 in P-mono is more often than not going to end up on it's lid and will be a hazard to other racers. You probably want a hull at least 29 inches in P-mono. The spec classes are very popular because you can get the motor and esc cheap here on OSE. You can run a sport hydro in the hydro class, but you will be racing mostly against riggers so it will be hard to keep up with them. What I suggest to people who are thinking about racing but are not quite sure is to run novice class for a year if it's offered. You can run justs about any boat in D12 novice except a rigger. Learn how to race and get familier with the classes and racers. If you get the bug like me and Chuck, then you can build yourself a race boat over the next winter.

Diesel6401
04-08-2010, 09:16 PM
Technically yes, but in a heat with up to 6 boats, the water is going to get pretty choppy. A SV 27 in P-mono is more often than not going to end up on it's lid and will be a hazard to other racers. You probably want a hull at least 29 inches in P-mono. The spec classes are very popular because you can get the motor and esc cheap here on OSE. You can run a sport hydro in the hydro class, but you will be racing mostly against riggers so it will be hard to keep up with them. What I suggest to people who are thinking about racing but are not quite sure is to run novice class for a year if it's offered. You can run justs about any boat in D12 novice except a rigger. Learn how to race and get familier with the classes and racers. If you get the bug like me and Chuck, then you can build yourself a race boat over the next winter.

A SV on it's lid, NEVER that...lol, well I will say this if It wasn't for me having a SV the tought of getting a rescue boat would have never crossed my mind.

Slowly Slowly starting to understand this. Thanks for tolerating my questions!

egneg
04-14-2010, 07:39 AM
I just got the ODMBA race classes for the year as the first club race is this coming weekend.

Stock Gas
Novice
Sport 40
Open Mono - Gas AND Nitro
RTR .18 Hydro (no riggers) (water cooled)
20 Mono
20 Rigger
Open Offshore
40 O/B Tunnel
Open Hydro - Gas AND Nitro (no riggers)
20 O/B Tunnel
Open Rigger (Gas AND Nitro)

We will put in electrics where applicable, sail powered hydroplanes, turbines, nuclear powered, steam and what ever else you can dream up!

As Bob Dylan sang "The times they are a changin"

Chilli
04-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Cool, Let us know how it goes. The club classes are very similar to the District. Anyone else from Team Fear going to join you?

BTW- I read on the gas board that a few of your fellow club members may be at the club lake Thursday at 4pm for a final test n tune.

egneg
04-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Mike - what forum do the guys frequent as I would like to join so I could keep in touch with whats going on.

As far as the other guys from Team Fear go I don't know as they didn't say anything to me last Sunday about the upcoming race and I am not sure if they have joined the ODMBA club yet.

Chilli
04-14-2010, 06:40 PM
www.intlwaters.com is where the nitro guys hang out. Dick Loeb's screen name is "moonlighter112"

www.jrcbd.com is where the gas dudes hang.

egneg
04-15-2010, 02:50 AM
I was a member at IW but can't seem to log on anymore. I will send an email to see what happened and I will check out the other one.

Chilli
04-18-2010, 04:59 PM
I see your back up and running on IW Chuckie.

Anxiously awaiting for a report on how you did at the ODMBA race this weekend.

egneg
04-18-2010, 05:58 PM
I see your back up and running on IW Chuckie.

Anxiously awaiting for a report on how you did at the ODMBA race this weekend.

I have points!!! :banana:

It was windy and the water was pretty rough. I won 2 of 3 heats with the UL-1 only because I was the only one to finish. I did not finish any of the 3 heats with the mono as it blew over every time. On the 2nd heat I was running right along with Beasley when it blew over on the 6th lap turn 2 - I was "that" close to finishing. I can't wait until the next race and hopefully the wind and water will be a bit more cooperative as even the gas guys had a hard time today. I had a great time and was pit man for a couple of the gas guys and 1 of the gas guys was a pit man for me. The CD at first told me I better get my boat started when I told him I was running FE and it was ready - I waited till the 1 minute mark to put it in. One of the gas guys I pitted for kidded me about how it was to easy and seamed like cheating.

As far as IW goes I tried to log on again after I had a lot of problems in the past and boom - it worked. I also joined Jim's boat dock. :thumbup1:

P.S. I did manage to get a couple of prop jobs from the gas guys though. One guy had his 3 blade prop curled back when he hit the shoreline and it bent his rudder into it. The other is a new guy that needs a B/S on a Prather 270.

Chilli
04-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Congratulations Chuck!!! :banana::banana::banana: Glad you had a great day.

Did the UL-1 race against B-hydro riggers? When it's REAL CHOPPY, I drop down to a X640 on the mono and push the batteries foward an inch or two.

I ususally put in at the 30 second cutoff and do one slow mill lap. The problem sometimes is with all the nitro engines buzzing, it's hard for the pit man to hear the clock.

Did Dick run his FE tunnel against the B-tunnels? Anyone from Team Fear drop by to cheer you on? Are you running a Turnigy 180?

egneg
04-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Congratulations Chuck!!! :banana::banana::banana: Glad you had a great day.

Did the UL-1 race against B-hydro riggers?

I ususally put in at the 30 second cutoff and do one slow mill lap. The problem sometimes is with all the nitro engines buzzing, sometimes it's hard for the pit man to hear the clock. Did Dick run his FE tunnel against the B-tunnels? Anyone from Team Fear drop by to cheer you on? Are you running a Turnigy 180?

Dick didn't run his FE tunnel, Ben stopped by but at the time I was pit man for someone, I used a himodel 200 amp in the mono and a 120 turnigy in the UL-1 bacause I blew a cap on the stock ESC Saturday during the tune up runs.

HOTWATER
04-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Dick didn't run his FE tunnel, Ben stopped by but at the time I was pit man for someone, I used a himodel 200 amp in the mono and a 120 turnigy in the UL-1 bacause I blew a cap on the stock ESC Saturday during the tune up runs.

Hey Chuck!

Gad you did well!! That's great news! :rockon2: I wish I could have gone to that one.

-Kent

Doug Smock
04-18-2010, 09:36 PM
:banana::buttrock::thumbup::beerchug:

Doug

D. Newland
04-19-2010, 02:54 PM
I did not finish any of the 3 heats with the mono as it blew over every time. On the 2nd heat I was running right along with Beasley when it blew over on the 6th lap turn 2 - I was "that" close to finishing.

Great job w/the UL-1-thanks for sharing.

FE has a reputation with the gas/nitro guys of setting our hulls up too loose. I didn't help their perception of us the first time I ran in front of them a few years ago, either. I let a nitro driver take my boat for a spin during open water (calm/no wind) and the boat blew off in the back stretch! To this day they say, "looks loose", every time I practice run w/them. But, I have been listening and my P mono finishes every time, no matter what conditions I'm running in.

Keep tuning!

egneg
04-19-2010, 04:58 PM
Great job w/the UL-1-thanks for sharing.

FE has a reputation with the gas/nitro guys of setting our hulls up too loose. I didn't help their perception of us the first time I ran in front of them a few years ago, either. I let a nitro driver take my boat for a spin during open water (calm/no wind) and the boat blew off in the back stretch! To this day they say, "looks loose", every time I practice run w/them. But, I have been listening and my P mono finishes every time, no matter what conditions I'm running in.

Keep tuning!

Thanks.

Funny thing is they told me it looked a bit wet but it is a very shallow V. It ran great the day before and this is the first time I ran it under those conditions. I will take your advice and see how I need to adjust things when I encounter wind with a lot of chop.

dirtysouth31
04-20-2010, 06:51 AM
good job chuck

egneg
04-20-2010, 07:35 AM
good job chuck

Thanks Don, I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. :eek:

HOTWATER
04-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Thanks Don, I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. :eek:

Now that's funny..LOL!!!

egneg
04-25-2010, 01:54 PM
I see that the race flyer for the capitol club has been posted at IW ... looks like only P-mono will be allowed. :confused1:

Chilli
04-25-2010, 02:04 PM
I don't even see P-mono on the flyer. I'm getting ready to shoot an email to Carl. We will be running all the classes that the district agreed to.

P-mono, P-spec hydro and P-spec tunnel. I'll post the flier here when (if) it's corrected :smile:

HOTWATER
04-26-2010, 04:13 PM
I don't even see P-mono on the flyer. I'm getting ready to shoot an email to Carl. We will be running all the classes that the district agreed to.

P-mono, P-spec hydro and P-spec tunnel. I'll post the flier here when (if) it's corrected :smile:

WHATUPWIDAT?!!:ohmy:

Chilli
04-26-2010, 05:56 PM
Just an oversight. Corrected flier is in a new thread I posted. It's going to be a long summer if we get bent out of shape with every flier that comes out. That's why I encouraged you guys to join a club if possible. So we can have say. I will probably have a BBQ pit waiting for my big behind when I arrive in Greensboro for giving Blaise grief (he did the Carolina Race flier). We have a place to run in every district race this year. Lets make a impact and a good impression. The rest will come together on it's own.:buttrock:

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=14155

egneg
04-26-2010, 06:01 PM
Great job Mike. I was like WTF when I saw the flier.

Doug Smock
04-26-2010, 06:20 PM
Keep up the good work Mike!!
I was reading that other thread, it looks like the RC Boating gods are looking out for you fellas.
The whole country is tearing down walls, yet some still want to mix mortar.:confused1:

I met Blaise R. and Tracy D. at the Spring Nats. They both seem like stand up guys.

BTW The ODMBA put 18 records in the books this past weekend, 28 for the month!! I'd find a way to rub elbows with those guys. :laugh:

egneg
04-26-2010, 06:22 PM
Keep up the good work Mike!!
I was reading that other thread, it looks like the RC Boating gods are looking out for you fellas.
The whole country is tearing down walls, yet some still want to mix mortar.:confused1:

I met Blaise R. and Tracy D. at the Spring Nats. They both seem like stand up guys.

BTW The ODMBA put 18 records in the books this past weekend, 28 for the month!! I'd find a way to rub elbows with those guys. :laugh:

And a couple of them where for FE tunnesl !!! :rockon2:

Doug Smock
04-26-2010, 07:13 PM
And a couple of them where for FE tunnesl !!! :rockon2:

Yes sir, Gas, Nitro,and FE. SAWs and ovals. Boats is Boats. :thumbup1:

egneg
05-01-2010, 07:48 AM
Diego, did you get your IMPBA card in the mail yet - I am still waiting and will send an email to find out whats going on.

Diegoboy
05-01-2010, 09:12 AM
I got my rule book, then 3 days later I got the card.

egneg
05-01-2010, 09:18 AM
I got my rule book, then 3 days later I got the card.

How long ago was that and did you use paypal?

Diegoboy
05-01-2010, 09:25 AM
I re- registered online April 1st and paypal'ed at that time. the card arrived last week

egneg
05-01-2010, 09:41 AM
I did the same on 2/16/10 maybe mine is on the way.

Diegoboy
05-01-2010, 09:53 AM
I'd call if I were you

egneg
05-01-2010, 10:00 AM
I sent an email to John Equi earlier this morning.

Edit: I just got a reply from John and my app was put in the wrong folder. My card and rule book will be sent today. I have to say that I am very impressed with the personal attention that he gave me.

dirtysouth31
05-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I sent an email to John Equi earlier this morning.

Edit: I just got a reply from John and my app was put in the wrong folder. My card and rule book will be sent today. I have to say that I am very impressed with the personal attention that he gave me.

http://crunktimes.com/ct/images/smilies/keke.gif

egneg
05-04-2010, 07:51 PM
Rule book came yesterday and my card came today. :banana:

Chilli
05-04-2010, 09:30 PM
Cool, You still planning on two district races this year Chuck?

egneg
05-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Visiting threads and just noticed I didn't reply to this. Yes, I hope to make the DC race and of course the ODMBA event in August.

Chilli
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Cool! Looking forward to it.:thumbup:

Chilli
05-31-2010, 07:44 PM
Race #2 in the District 12 Points chase this weekend in Queestown, MD (just east of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge). I dont think anyone ran FE's in the Greensboro race a few weeks ago. Looks like Kent and I will be running our JAE's against the nitro boys. Don't know about any one else. I will also be running my P-mono with the B-Mono's and my Gas Sniper in Stock gas. If anyone lives in the area, drop on by and say hi!

Doug Smock
05-31-2010, 07:55 PM
Good luck Mike and Kent!!!!!
I spent the day recovering from the Charleston race.
Man what a ride!!!:banana:

HOTWATER
05-31-2010, 08:11 PM
Good luck Mike and Kent!!!!!
I spent the day recovering from the Charleston race.
Man what a ride!!!:banana:

Thanks Doug! You have been a true inspiration to us! Thanks again for taking the time to help us out in Dist. 12...You Da Man!!:thumbup:

Here's a couple of pics of my newly finished ride...

Doug Smock
05-31-2010, 08:16 PM
Nice job on the JAE Kent!!!! You're gonna love that boat!!

Good luck!
Doug

HOTWATER
05-31-2010, 09:05 PM
Nice job on the JAE Kent!!!! You're gonna love that boat!!

Good luck!
Doug

Thanks! Should be fun!!

-Kent

Chilli
05-31-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks Doug. Unfortunately I only have a 1450 to run in the JAE. I don't think the Andy Brown H7 I bought on IW will get here in time with the short work week and I dont have enough time to send the raw one to Chuck. The good news is John Finch :bowdown: offered to show me how to cup a prop this weekend. Do you think I should let him touch my prop?:smile: The 1450 is still a solid prop. It's going to be a good time no matter what!

Doug Smock
05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Oh man, not sure about that Finch guy, better ask around.:roflol::roflol:

I agree on the 1450.

HOTWATER
06-01-2010, 09:02 PM
Yo Mike...is that a Mark Sholund 1450?

Chilli
06-02-2010, 12:39 AM
Yes it is with 3.2" of cup. The boat has a real nice ride attitude with it but the speed is not quite where I think it should be. Mark wanted to do a little more work on it but I told him I wanted to keep is as is for my BU/sport prop. The used Andy Brown H7 I purchased has 3.6" of cup. Apparantly it wont be put in the mail til tomorrow, so I'll save it for the Capitol Race.

Meniscus
06-02-2010, 01:04 PM
Mike, your build looks great! I'm glad to hear it's working out well for you. You'll like Andy's :thumbup1: You made a good choice going to him for this custom work. Meanwhile, watch out because Chuck has some tricks up his sleeve and may just beat you with one of his custom jobs! :laugh:

LOL, now I have to get out to test and get up to speed :zip-up:

Chilli
06-02-2010, 02:12 PM
Actually Ben, I'm getting the prop from a guy on International Waters that had a bunch of used Andy Brown props for sale. I needed a H7 quick and for $30 shipped I had to jump on it. As it turns out the gentleman just got back from vacation so I wont get it in time for this weekend, but no biggie. I wouldnt trade the mono props that Chuck did for my for anything. :thumbup: I'm glad he's getting to do more gas props also.

D&D
06-02-2010, 05:22 PM
Mike,

Tell John Finch I said Hello.

Chilli
06-02-2010, 06:53 PM
I shall!! :beerchug:

Meniscus
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
...I'm glad he's getting to do more gas props also.

LOL, at least they're big enough to hold onto! :tongue_smilie: :laugh:

Chilli
06-21-2010, 08:45 PM
Only four days to the Capitol Race. Unfortunately registration is down from last year with the lousy economy. We got the course up on Sunday. All my boats are ready to go. I switched over to 2.4g so hopefully no more glitches:Praying:. I have a new turn fin and fresh booms on the JAE with a few H7's (Mark Sholund & Andy Brown) to try out. The gas Sniper will be doing double duty as I volunteered to run offshore to ensure there are enough entries to run the class. That makes four classes for me, plus my oldest son will run novice and I have to watch both kids (mom will be out of town) and run the retrieval boat. It should be interesting.....:eek:

Dick Loeb told me a few weeks ago he was going to have a P-mono ready for this race. We'll see if Mike got it finished for him. Other that that I don't know if we have any more FE's running this race. I guess someone has to do the dirty work. :buttrock:

HOTWATER
06-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Only four days to the Capitol Race. Unfortunately registration is down from last year with the lousy economy. We got the course up on Sunday. All my boats are ready to go. I switched over to 2.4g so hopefully no more glitches:Praying:. I have a new turn fin and fresh booms on the JAE with a few H7's to try out. The gas Sniper will be doing double duty as I volunteered to run offshore to ensure there are enough entries to run the class. That makes four classes for me, plus my oldest son will run novice and I have to watch both kids (mom will be out of town) and run the retrieval boat. It should be interesting.....:eek:

Dick Loeb told me a few weeks ago he was going to have a P-mono ready for this race. We'll see if Mike got it finished for him. Other that that I don't know if we have any more FE's running this race. I guess someone has to do the dirty work. :buttrock:

I wish I could be there with ya man! Looks like you will be going full tilt with everything...you will be fine! I hope the new JAE fin will bring you some good luck!! Your gas Sniper should do very well...beautiful boat and looks to be trimed out well!

I wish you the best this weekend Mike! Tell Carl, Tracy, Dick (Hi to Carol "the Cookie Lady"!), James and Robin I said good luck to them as well!! Please give me an update on how well everything is going there...I will be very curious!!

-Kent :beerchug:

Chilli
06-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Sorry you can't make it Kent. John will miss your Snickers bars. LOL. See you down in Chesapeake in August. Hopefully we can get together before then. Get out there and run some laps with the DELMARVA Club!

HOTWATER
06-22-2010, 10:58 AM
Tell John I will bring him some more Snicker's bars when I see you guys next time around. At least Carol will have some awesome cookies there!! .....Oh yeah, tell John that I also wish him good luck in the novice class!

Have a great time...Keep me informed!

-Kent

D&D
06-22-2010, 11:40 AM
How many boats do you have registered? I remember when (late 80's to mid 90's) the Capitol RC'ers would have 180 to 200 boats registered and we wondered how we were going to get all the heats ran in two days. Then there was the 1990 NAMBA Nationals and I can't even remember how many boats we had then.

Sounds as though your hands will be more than full - kids, boats, and retrieval, WOW! Good luck to you and the Capitol RC'ers my friend.

egneg
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Mike I will not be able to make it this weekend - I am on call for work.

Chilli
06-23-2010, 10:38 AM
Thanks Dennis. Today is final day for registration. I don't know if we'll have a hundred boats this weekend. Very few if any of the Delmarva club is showing up. We're a bit disappointed but we'll have a good time no matter what. Less boats, less heats = less rush and more relaxed fun.

See you in Chesapeake Chuck.

Chilli
06-27-2010, 08:17 PM
Well Race 3 in the D12 is over. I'm exhausted!!! We had to set up and break down with temps pushing 100 degrees. Thankfully no rain though. I was the only FE racing this weekend. Dick Loeb mentioned bringing his P-mono but he told me it wasnt running up to his standards yet so he kept it home. I ran 16 heats this weekend. Great practice. Some heats I looked great and got complements on my driving. Other times I looked like the sophmore that I am. Overall I came in first with the JAE in B/P-spec Hydro and third place in Stock Gas and Open offshore with my Sniper. I had some good moments and bad in all the classes. Yesterday I was running great with the JAE. Competition was a bit tougher than the last race but we still had many dead boats. I finished yesterday with two firsts and a third. This morning I had a rough stretch. I was a bit tired and it showed. I ran the JAE into a bank in my first heat of the day. Then a half hour later I ran up the ar$$$ of another boat at the start of the stock gas heat and munched a prop (other boat Okay and finished the heat). I rushed to clear the water out of the gas motor and do a prop swap as I was running back to back heats. I was very relieved getting it done, but then my pit man did one of those 180 degree barrel roll launches. :ohmy: Well, that's racing I guess. I took a break, got my stuff back together and ran some pretty good heats later in the morning in my final gas heats.

Now I havent mentioned my P-mono. I have been having problems the last two races and I think I have the situation solved but I welcome anyones input. The last two races I have had two speed controller thermaling on me on the mono after a few laps. This was the same set up that proved so reliable last year. I thought it may have been the radio's but I switched to 2.4 gig so that isnt the problem. Now during the last two race weekends, I had my FE mono and hydro heats very close together so I had to tape up the mono and let it sit for 20 minutes with the batterys all hooked up (RX off). Both races temps have been in the 90's. I was thinking maybe the heat was causing the problem. So on the final heat, I taped up the Titan on the clock (it's not like I have anything else to do:biggrin:). The result was no shutdown and the mono ran beautifully.

Thats about it. I did damgage the tub of my JAE. So I'll get to work fixing that. Our course is a bit narrow on the back stretch. I think I was one of about 5 to hit the bank. Here is a picture of my poor baby.

Next race. Chesapeake, VA in the Last week in August. We shoud have our larges FE showing of the year at that race with maybe a half dozen racers. Dick wants to do a FE shootout. I'll pass on the details as they come out.

HOTWATER
06-27-2010, 09:39 PM
Argh Matey! I like the skull and X bones! That's great that you managed 1st overall!! Sorry about the bad luck with the JAE running ashore....at least it was in the final round! It sucks having to fix something after a race and then hoping you did a good enough job to run the last heat with it the next day!! I don't know anything about that at ALL!! LMOA!!

Have you thought about using a different ESC in your Titan? How about the motor? Does it seem ok? Solder joints ok on all the bullets?

Great job again Mike!!!!!!! Get some rest my freind! Email or PM me in the day sometime tomorrow...

-Kent

Doug Smock
06-27-2010, 09:57 PM
Nice work Mike!!!
Sorry about the carnage, but it could have been much worse ehh??

Oh, thanks for testing the tubs for us, we haven't tested them... yet!!:roflol:

Get some rest man!!

Chilli
06-27-2010, 10:00 PM
Thanks Doug! As you can see the tub buckled a bit behind the front boom. I hope I didnt screw up the boom alignment.

Kent, I'm back using the Turnigy 180 for now but remember I switched back to my trusty Etti 150 at the DELMARVA race and the same thing occured. I ran that setup the previous year with no problems. Once I went to the last second tape up, the problem went away. I did get my CC240 back from warranty work but I'm saving that for a rainy day, or untill we get some real P-mono competition.

One side note (District 12 FE growing pain). On the first spec-hydro heat I did the "pull into the infield" manuver. Robbin didnt realize what I was doing and freaked on the back stretch. He ended up flipping his outboard rigger. On the following heats, I yelled out "pulling into the infield" just to remind people.

I posted a few pics on IW. There are probably a few faces you' guys will recongnize.