PDA

View Full Version : NeuEnergy Lipo ??

Philmunsterman
02-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I just got a new Neu lipo and it looks like I may have to modify the balance plug to work with my Triton charger. Has any one else had to do this??

sailr
02-20-2010, 11:19 AM
Some of the lipo manufactueres insist on putting an oddball balance connector on their packs so you have to buy adapters or their brand charger. I wish they would all standardize! I have countless adapter boards to accommodate Polyquest, Thunder Tiger, Flightpower, etc!
It's maddening!

The first step is to determine what kind of port is on your charger and then order an adapter board. Lots of places have them. www.allerc.com is one place to start that I know of.

hydromaddicted
02-20-2010, 11:35 AM
Neu's=Kokam JST XE tap

properchopper
02-20-2010, 11:50 AM
To make it easier to insert the Neu taps, I had to shave off the tabs on the side of the balance tap. Still hard to plug in. I now just leave an adaptor on the pack.

Philmunsterman
02-21-2010, 12:44 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I spoke to Pat at RCLipos and he gave me similar advice. I had to trim the plastic on the balance board so I could fit the lipo plug in. I'm going to run the new NeuEnergy 4S 5000 35 to 80 c tomorrow in my spec rigger I hope it has a little more zip then the 4000 20c I ran last week. Phil

Fluid
02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
If the 20C packs were old and tired, then new packs will give better performance regardless of their specs. But with the low-amp draw of the spec systems (motor and ESC), simply changing to batteries with "better numbers" may not give any measurable performance difference. An experienced FE friend mentioned this recently and I tested it myself. A 25C pack versus a 35C pack both new at the same time with the same usage - the GPS mph was within 0.6 mph in favor of the 25C pack - which means no difference.

Then there is the huge issue of miss-labeling of pack "C" ratings; how many boaters would be able to quantify the difference between 25C and 35C packs? Who can confirm what is printed on the label? No one. We went through the identical problem with the nickel cells - it is far easier and cheaper to just re-label cells than to buy better ones, and the consumer can't prove it...

FloatDaBoat
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
Who can confirm what is printed on the label? No one. We went through the identical problem with the nickel cells

That's still a problem with NiMH cells. I've found that the no name cells I use in my digital camera (made in China) are over rated as far as capacity goes. This results in them getting over charged, which greatly reduces their life span. The Energizer cells (manufactured in Japan) seem to be rated honestly, & tend to last longer before going tits-up. I've never used LiPos, so I can't comment on how over charging them affects their life span.

Philmunsterman
02-21-2010, 12:08 PM
Fluid, good info as usual. I realize that a 35/80c is overkill for a spec setup but I have several other set-ups that I might use it in that will require more amps. Thanks