PDA

View Full Version : JAE FE Rigger

Trini
02-19-2010, 08:07 PM
Guys, this is me running my FE rigger for the first time. Let me know what you think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVOPBYhXmMU

tth
02-19-2010, 08:26 PM
Great vid, I love the way this little baby rides on rails

detox
02-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Thanks for sharing. How fast do you think rigger was going?

Trini
02-19-2010, 08:51 PM
I have no clue Detox, but it feels like it turns faster than my gas whiplash and that runs 68-70 but I really can't say.

Raydee
02-19-2010, 09:54 PM
Whats the setup you are running?

Trini
02-19-2010, 10:10 PM
UL-1 Motor / ESC and a 4s hyperion lipo

Jeepers
02-19-2010, 10:26 PM
UL-1 Motor / ESC and a 4s hyperion lipo

prop???? looks good.

Trini
02-19-2010, 10:36 PM
Prop is a S-15

Brushless55
02-19-2010, 11:25 PM
Looks good man!
my guess is upper 50s :thumbup1:

detox
02-20-2010, 09:10 PM
I bet your rigger will haul the mail when you get your strut adjusted correctly. It looked and sounded like too much downward pressure on rear ridepad. Adjust the strut to the point the back of the boat just starts to hop and then move the strut back just a small amount to stop it. :Peace_Sign:

Doug Smock
02-21-2010, 10:27 PM
For those of you that are building these boats, set them up exactly as the instructions say.
The gentlemen responsible for bringing us the JAE have two years in the design and testing. They aren't your average resident expert.

Trini had done some mods to the S-15, and did some more over the weekend. We still aren't convinced that it is "the prop" for this boat.

The JAE21 FE saw it's first oval racing this weekend. We ran 5 boats, no two of them ran the same prop. Trini and I will fill you in after a short recovery period.
The botom line is this. The JAE 21 FE rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Trini, great job on the boat!!!! She looked good this weekend.

Doug

geraghty
02-22-2010, 06:41 AM
I bet your rigger will haul the mail when you get your strut adjusted correctly. It looked and sounded like too much downward pressure on rear ridepad. Adjust the strut to the point the back of the boat just starts to hop and then move the strut back just a small amount to stop it. :Peace_Sign:

I have seen a lot of remarks in several threads and forums concerning the adjustment of the strut on JAE FE boats....
If you are all willing to listen I can save you all a lot of time in finding a great setup for your JAE-FE boat.
First.....flush your mind of everything you think you know about traditional riggers.....it doesn't apply to JAE boats....this is the most difficult thing to do...we know...been there,done that....:unsure:
Step#1.....Push the strut down flat on top of the ski bottom sheeting....set the strut "dead flat" with no +/- in the strut angle and lock the strut down tight and LEAVE THE STRUT THERE FOREVER.....
Step#2......next....lets go to work on the prop....
Step#3....now,I [we @ JAE] know next to nothing about FE's but I would be willing to bet that a "bag stock" sharpened & balanced H-7 ABC will be a great place to start......If you want more RPM or to reduce load due to heat or run time,take a little off the diameter or backcut the trailing edge increasing the trailing edge angle from the tip to the hub and at the same time start adding a little cup....if you want more load just start adding pitch and or cup....
The thing to remember here is leave the strut pushed down as far as it will go on to the ski bottom sheeting and start tuning your boat setup by looking at the roostertail behind the boat.....when the roostertail [thrust cone]is long and flat you are almost perfect for that particular prop...:thumbup1:
JAE boats use the rear ski to support the rear of the boat,hence the approx 40% boat weight on the prop is the sweet spot for prop weight to start tuning the setup.........40% keeps prop blades buried in the water at all times and the prop efficiency will go up tremendously......all the prop is being asked to do on a JAE is push the boat forward and go as fast as possible....
JAE boats do not need prop lift to hold the back of the boat up to release rear sponsons or stuffing boxes from the water,the ski does that......high roostertails [thrust cones] are a waste of energy....this is why a properly setup JAE never hops ...it just goes forward......:thumbup:...
This was a long and hard lesson for the JAE team to learn......we knew the JAE ran great and turned like no other traditional rigger....it just took us about 10 boats and 2+ years to figure out why......:doh:....when we stopped listening to
all the "traditional rigger speed secrets" it all boiled down to simple 8th grade physics at work.......

You have all probably noticed that there are no AOA adjustments or angled chines on JAE front sponsons....they are not needed ....in fact, "non-trip" chines are actually "trip" chines in reality.....:doh:....non-trip chines in reality hide the the area where your attention should be focused......
In the future maybe we will ask you to flush your minds again and we will discuss JAE sponsons.....JAE sponsons are the epitomy of the "KISS" principle at work......

geraghty
02-22-2010, 07:10 AM
delete

Chilli
02-22-2010, 07:40 AM
Rod, Thanks for taking the time to set us straight! Based on all the posts, I was ready to start messing with the angle on my fixed strut.

Trini
02-22-2010, 07:40 AM
For what little to no testing/practice time with these new boats, I must honestly say they are great little boats. They are fast on the straights and even faster in the turns. I can't wait to do more prop testing. I think the H-7 may be the ticket with some mods.

Thanks Rod for assuring the current re-designers of the JAE that there was years of testing done!

Smock, you did good this weekend and look forward to get back testing with ya when ya get some rest.

Trini

teach
02-22-2010, 01:32 PM
Alright....so who won?!

Chilli
02-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Any P-Limited dead boats during the race weekend? Convert any B-hydro guys?

geraghty
02-22-2010, 03:27 PM
Alright....so who won?!

I don't have a clue.....you will have to ask the boys that were there....
I was only trying to help with the boat setup....:thumbup1:

Doug Smock
02-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Any P-Limited dead boats during the race weekend? Convert any B-hydro guys?

There were three dead P-Limited boats in four rounds of racing, there should have been four but I'm saving that information for another post that all JAE 21 FE owners will be interested in. Stay tuned.

There were no B-Hydros in this race, but there was a bunch of interest in the JAE P-Limited Hydros and the P-Limited O/B Tunnels. There were some questions about the P-Limited Sport Hydros as well.
Who won????
We all won!!!!!!LOL Really, that race was two weeks long and we all survived!!:buttrock:

P-Limited Hydro
1st Ken Haines
2nd Doug Smock
3rd Louis Bentley
NOTE: Louis is a gas boat racer. The JAE is his first FE boat. His boat hit the water for the first time in the first heat.:thumbup1:

"The Zippkits JAE 21 FE. So easy, even a gasser can do it":laugh:
Just having fun guys, I love my IC racing counterparts!!

Thanks Rod!
Doug :beerchug:

Chilli
02-22-2010, 08:18 PM
Congratulations to all the guys in D13 and Smock Boat Works! Great job getting those boats built so fast. I'm still waiting for paint to dry!!!:beerchug:

pmisuinas
05-04-2010, 07:31 PM
OK, so what was the final decision on a prop? one that would go well with a UL-1 power setup?

geraghty
05-04-2010, 08:00 PM
I don't really know.....ask Doug Smock....he has done considerable testing with the
JAE.21FE......[If I recall I believe he said the ABC H-7 was a very good choice]

Doug Smock
05-04-2010, 08:38 PM
OK, so what was the final decision on a prop? one that would go well with a UL-1 power setup?

I still like the H-7 detounged, cupped and pitched up a bit. I'm getting the same speeds with it as I am with the H-10s and S-15s that I've worked and pulling fewer amps.:cool: The worked 1450 is ok but not as fast as the H-7.
Just my experience FWIW.
I may play around some more but I'm very happy with the way the boat is running.

Doug:beerchug:

pmisuinas
05-04-2010, 10:54 PM
So Doug, are you using the UL-1 motor in yours or something else? Thanks...

Doug Smock
05-04-2010, 10:58 PM
So Doug, are you using the UL-1 motor in yours or something else? Thanks...

Yes sir, UL-1 motor and esc.

bigwaveohs
01-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Yes sir, UL-1 motor and esc.

I'm running a UL-1 with a pitched up and cupped H-5 (45.2 x 63.5 x 95.3mm) and the motor/electronics are stone cold. What pitch/cup would you recommend if I go to an H-7?

Doug Smock
01-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Honestly Patrick I have no way of knowing what I ended up with. (no pitch guage)

I detounged a H-7, added some cup to flatten out the roostertail, then added pitch until I saw 63 amps and 57mph on the Eagletree.
I know it's not the most scientific method but it's still working for me LOL