PDA

View Full Version : Wtb 580l bearings

6S HYDRO
02-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Where to buy upgrade bearings for a 580l motor. What size?

detox
02-13-2010, 12:19 PM
Steve sells the ceramic versions.
Look here and scroll down:http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=fei-580-L

m4a1usr
02-13-2010, 12:49 PM
Consider the reasons why you feel the need to upgrade your bearings before jumping to ceramic bearings. Are your current bearings worn out? Is it because you believe ceramic bearings are better?

A couple years back there was a good thread on RRR about bearing upgrades for different motors. Most of the content had to do with guys wanting to change out the cheap chi bearings in almost all of the cheap BL motors that come from the factory. So most were were looking for the better SS bearings you can buy from companies like SKF, VBX or one of the bunches out there. But the comments that came out eventualy led up to using Boca bearings and of course almost all that was positive. But one guy, I dont remember his handle, made a very sobering comment I took to heart and have not strayed from since in my replacing bearings mentality. He had upgraded to Boca's and in one of his motors the ceramic bearings fractured, this resulted in the rotor contacting the windings and destroying his motor. Smoked.

It dawned on me that with certain circumstances occuring under load, there was a possible chance a bearing fracture could occur and toast my motor. And maybe my ESC as well. Since then I stick with a good series TZZ bearing and feel a little better. Doesnt mean I am any safer as I have no proof of what he said being true but it struck home. Some lessons I dont have to learn the hard way.

John

Steven Vaccaro
02-13-2010, 05:46 PM
Consider the reasons why you feel the need to upgrade your bearings before jumping to ceramic bearings. Are your current bearings worn out? Is it because you believe ceramic bearings are better?

A couple years back there was a good thread on RRR about bearing upgrades for different motors. Most of the content had to do with guys wanting to change out the cheap chi bearings in almost all of the cheap BL motors that come from the factory. So most were were looking for the better SS bearings you can buy from companies like SKF, VBX or one of the bunches out there. But the comments that came out eventualy led up to using Boca bearings and of course almost all that was positive. But one guy, I dont remember his handle, made a very sobering comment I took to heart and have not strayed from since in my replacing bearings mentality. He had upgraded to Boca's and in one of his motors the ceramic bearings fractured, this resulted in the rotor contacting the windings and destroying his motor. Smoked.

It dawned on me that with certain circumstances occuring under load, there was a possible chance a bearing fracture could occur and toast my motor. And maybe my ESC as well. Since then I stick with a good series TZZ bearing and feel a little better. Doesnt mean I am any safer as I have no proof of what he said being true but it struck home. Some lessons I dont have to learn the hard way.

John

John one guy makes a comment that a bearing fractured and they condemned by you? How did he come to the conclusion that it was the ceramic bearings fault? How did he install it? I've had person tell me he had used a HAMMER to fit them! Did he run a thrust bearing? If the rotor was loosely fit inside the motor a metal bearing would have also have failed at some point.

I've sold well over 500 of those bearings and this is the first time I've heard of an issue.

m4a1usr
02-13-2010, 07:28 PM
John one guy makes a comment that a bearing fractured and they condemned by you? How did he come to the conclusion that it was the ceramic bearings fault? How did he install it? I've had person tell me he had used a HAMMER to fit them! Did he run a thrust bearing? If the rotor was loosely fit inside the motor a metal bearing would have also have failed at some point.

I've sold well over 500 of those bearings and this is the first time I've heard of an issue.

I cant answer those questions Steve. Like I said. I have no proof of his claims but can see how something that is very brittle, ceramics in general, might shatter when abused or used in a manner that can cause them to fail structuraly. I am not bad mouthing Boca's. Just asking the original poster if he had some reason he would like to change out his bearings and telling him something I heard to consider if he was considering using Boca's. Ceramic bearings are used in many applications and have a good history of operation in the enviornment they are designed for. Using them in RC motors is not outside of their design intent. Those are; higher rpm rating, higher operating temperatures and better load characteristics due to less friction. Those are the benefits I know of.

But for me even a slight increase in a chance of failure due to mechanical shock, side loading from structural failure or something as simple as poor production control made me ask myself what are the benefits Vs the risks. And the answer was to stop using them. I have never experienced a failure using them, and I have used them, and have only read about others who have experienced failures. So like I said before. Its just my own decision to choose not to use them but am not advocating to anyone to not use them.

John