PDA

View Full Version : Maybe goin to Lipo's this season, some questions...

Checkmateguy01
02-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Ok, you guy's have me somewhat talked into ditchin my NIMH's (actually i'll still run my SV27 on them) and gettin some Lipo's. I've been reading alot to better understand lipo's but i'm still not sure exactly what packs would be good for me. My 30 inch Dumas mono is a fairly heavy, former nitro hull. I have a 9xl Faegio motor and Etti 150a ESC in the boat with the batt. set-up for 2 packs in series. I'm thinking i'd like to stay kind of mild with the Lipo's and stick to 3s1p packs, 4000-5000mah, 30-40C, would they work for my set-up?? I'm not looking for all out speed, period.

I seem to get really good run times that i'm happy with with my NIMH's, how much longer run times would the Lipo's (w/comparable mah) give me?

I'm also considering a Cat hull, might go Mean Machine, or might wait for the that new Aquacraft Cat, either way i'd like to be able to run the same batts. in the mono or a cat.

Aslo, i can't seem to find a balancer that will work with my MRC Superbrain 977 charger, or maybe i'm not reading the info right, can anybody tell me how the balancers hook up to the charger and which one would work for the 977? I fugure the 977 say's it's Lipo compatable so i might as well use it.

One more thing, as you can see from the pic, i'm set-up with Deans Ultra plugs, can i keep those with the lipo's or do i have to use some other kind of connectors?
Thanks for any info!

wakeboardfusion
02-08-2010, 11:24 AM
I think 3s2p on a 9xl should be fine. That makes it about 21000 unloaded rpm. It is to my understanding that you want it to be around 30000. 4s should get you closer. Im not an expert on the subject though.

Run times should be a bit longer.

Same batts different Hulls is ok. Thats what i try to do so i dont have 10 different batts. It gets expensive.

You can get a stand alone balancer that doesnt need to be hooked up to a charger.

Deans ultra should be fine for your setup. I am debating on changing mine out, but its probably not needed.

Doby
02-08-2010, 12:08 PM
9xl is really a 4S motor, not 3S.

BILL OXIDEAN
02-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Ok, you guy's have me somewhat talked into ditchin my NIMH's (actually i'll still run my SV27 on them) and gettin some Lipo's. I've been reading alot to better understand lipo's but i'm still not sure exactly what packs would be good for me. My 30 inch Dumas mono is a fairly heavy, former nitro hull. I have a 9xl Faegio motor and Etti 150a ESC in the boat with the batt. set-up for 2 packs in series. I'm thinking i'd like to stay kind of mild with the Lipo's and stick to 3s1p packs, 4000-5000mah, 30-40C, would they work for my set-up?? I'm not looking for all out speed, period.

I seem to get really good run times that i'm happy with with my NIMH's, how much longer run times would the Lipo's (w/comparable mah) give me?

I'm also considering a Cat hull, might go Mean Machine, or might wait for the that new Aquacraft Cat, either way i'd like to be able to run the same batts. in the mono or a cat.

Aslo, i can't seem to find a balancer that will work with my MRC Superbrain 977 charger, or maybe i'm not reading the info right, can anybody tell me how the balancers hook up to the charger and which one would work for the 977? I fugure the 977 say's it's Lipo compatable so i might as well use it.

One more thing, as you can see from the pic, i'm set-up with Deans Ultra plugs, can i keep those with the lipo's or do i have to use some other kind of connectors?
Thanks for any info!

I'm not sure about the superbrain, but many ballancers can be used stand alone meaning they don't charge through the ballancer. You can simply plug the ballance taps into the ballancer and it does it on its own.

SpeedoMan
02-08-2010, 02:15 PM
The 977 is not for lipo's

Checkmateguy01
02-08-2010, 03:58 PM
9xl is really a 4S motor, not 3S.
See that's the kinda info i needed, i had no idea motor size made much difference on which Lipo's to run. Now, if i went 4s, what if i put together another boat with "less" motor, can i still run the 4s's? Should i run 4s1p's or 4s2p's?? Whats the difference??

The 977 is not for lipo's
Ok, but why? The manual say's it's Lithium Polymer compatable, but i've read around here before the 977 is not good for lipo's, i'd like to know why before i shell out good money for a better charger, seems any dual output lipo chargers are pretty pricey.