PDA

View Full Version : 1/16 shovel nose issues

befu
02-07-2010, 09:29 PM
Math problem
1/16 shovel nose hydro + one new Foster child = 1/32 shovel nose + 1/32 shovel tail!

Well, I guess I should have been more specific on what not to play with. I got my kit for Christmas and started to build it. this happened awhile back, already have a solution and will be posting that in a few days! Oh-well, when you get lemons make lemonade.

screwball
02-07-2010, 09:47 PM
what happened did he cut it in half with a saw?!?!?!?!

Rumdog
02-07-2010, 09:54 PM
Did he try to use the shovel nose as a shovel?

befu
02-07-2010, 11:12 PM
I hadn't yet removed the center section of the middle bulkhead, so it made a nice clean split right there. Oh-well, live and learn huh?

For what these kids go through, something like this just reminds me that I am happy to have stuff to break!

That and as an engineer, I love problems to solve! Of course, with 5 kids in the house from 4 to 9, the "daddy can fix it" box never goes empty! More later on this one.

Brian

domwilson
02-07-2010, 11:23 PM
For what these kids go through, something like this just reminds me that I am happy to have stuff to break!

That and as an engineer, I love problems to solve! Of course, with 5 kids in the house from 4 to 9, the "daddy can fix it" box never goes empty! More later on this one.

Brian

I like your attitude! Maybe you two can fix it together.

befu
02-10-2010, 09:55 PM
OK, just got done tacking the two halves together with some CA. Will epoxy all the way around the edges to bond it, then trim them flush. Some expanding foam in the sponsons and nose to stiffin that up, and I think it will work.

I did use to much kevlar and carbon though, it is overly strong and seems heavy to me. right now it is tipping the scales at 10 oz, so I figure joined and foamed, should be around 12 oz. Not sure what the wood one would have weighed.

OK, in the pics below, the deck was laid up larger than needed. The bottom was laid up to size and trimmed. This allows the deck to be trimmed back to the bottom sides, should work out nice. The bottom picture shows how much the deck layup over hangs the bottom. I took a sharpie and blacked out what needs to be trimmed off. Still needs a transom in it also.

Nice thing is, the inside is nice and open. I can fit a 3s-1800 battery in each side with room for a motor in the middle. This means I can mount the motor further forward and slide the batteries back for COG, giving a nice run for the drive shaft. Oh, it will be solid drive shaft under the boat, gotta be scale looking! (No racing, just fun running.)

The layup is a layer of 2 oz glass, then a kevlar/carbon hybrid that is about 5.2oz I think, with a few strips of kevlar carbon to reinforce the decks. The bottom also has a layer of 5.7oz carbon in the pan front to back and in the sponson ride pads. It is stiff!

Before laying it up, I used a mixture of micro balloons and epoxy to fillet the corners. Still had some air bubles on the underside, but not so bad that I can't fix it.
That is the strips of white that you see. To me, Gelcoat just adds weight.

Brian

befu
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM
I like your attitude! Maybe you two can fix it together.

yeah, that one can be scary. Many of them do not know how to follow directions and safety is key with them. Thier parents tend to scream when they have a bruise from playing. I teach them lots, but you have to get to know them first and know how they will respond to instructions first. We have had kids that couldn't use silverware properly, not going to let them loose on a power tool too soon!:eek:

My 8 and 9 year old boys have now learned the scroll saw, disc and belt sander, and drill press for now. I remember learning how to use a scroll saw, I wonder if my dad was as nervous as I was! Gotta buy him a beer:beerchug:

Brian

befu
02-14-2010, 03:38 PM
Well, the hull is now joined and trimmed. Still need to primer it and fill in the air bubles.

This thing is really strong! Definately went to heavy on the layup, and I haven't added the expandable foam yet.

sitting just under 11 oz right now.

anyone know what thier wood ones weighed?

Brian

befu
06-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Alright, my 10 year old and I made a plug for a hatch cover. Wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I do know I wanted a one piece hatch cover, so we made one. Using inserts on the plug, you can make it for an open engine or a cowled engine.

Still need to touch up a couple of spots with spot putty, but it is looking pretty good now.

Power will be a turnigy 2836-2350 outrunner on 3 cells, running a solid shaft.

JimClark
06-04-2010, 11:02 PM
Guess I shouldn't say now I have some full cowls I could have sold you oh well nice job!
Jim

Alright, my 10 year old and I made a plug for a hatch cover. Wasn't sure what I wanted to do, but I do know I wanted a one piece hatch cover, so we made one. Using inserts on the plug, you can make it for an open engine or a cowled engine.

Still need to touch up a couple of spots with spot putty, but it is looking pretty good now.

Power will be a turnigy 2836-2350 outrunner on 3 cells, running a solid shaft.

befu
06-04-2010, 11:18 PM
Guess I shouldn't say now I have some full cowls I could have sold you oh well nice job!
Jim

Figures! And from seeing your builds, they would have looked fantastic!

Oh-well, had fun teaching my son and he got to see something he helped make turn into a finished part.

I think this weekend we will paint both of thier crackerboxes. yellow and red is what they choose!

Brian

JimClark
06-04-2010, 11:39 PM
Actually I bought them from Dr Jet can't take credit for them

befu
06-10-2010, 05:00 PM
Alright, got the motor mount and the drive shaft installed. Drive dog is under the transom, prop sticking out behind. Rudder is ordered and will be an aluminum one on the port side.

Motor is a 2836-2350kv outrunner, connected by a .098 flex shaft to a solid drive shaft that sits right at 4 degrees. Prop CL is 1/2" below the bottom of the center hull.
It has room inside for one or two 3s-1800 or 2200 batteries. Using my wc and BEC hobby king SS 40/50 amp speed control. Will start with a 30mm prop and can go up to a 35mm prop.

RTR with one 3s-2200 battery is looking like 2lbs 2 oz.

Wife wanted purple, so we are going purple. Thinking about the thriftway scheme but with dark purple stripes!

Brian

JimClark
06-10-2010, 05:16 PM
I got a scheme for you let me dig up a picture.
By the way I don't have any more updated plans than you do.

Jim

JimClark
06-10-2010, 05:34 PM
ok here you go not totally scale as it is an older hull design but it could work.

http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Misc-Pictures/For-Sale/CRW2367/896745790_XZ4dj-L.jpg (http://jimclark.smugmug.com/Misc-Pictures/For-Sale/4074830_VrsAb#896745790_XZ4dj-A-LB)

befu
06-10-2010, 06:23 PM
That looks neat, might have to go that way wiht the paint.

name: Mrs. Plum Crazy! (since my wife wanted the color instead of Miss)

Hopefully my rudder gets here soon.

The Rc is potted in epoxy, speed control is potted in epoxy, only thing I haven't done anything to is the servo. Need to try the corrosion X and see if it slows the servo down, might have to go with the 3m conformal coating on the servo board otherwise.

I was just looking at it, did I put the water pickup on the wrong side being I will be turning right? Turn fin will go under the hull like the original, no big sharkfin hanging off the side!

Brian

befu
06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Well, yesterday the rudder showed up. Looks smaller than I thought it would be, we will have to see if it works. Remember, not for race, just for fun!

This morning I made a turn fin and it is ready to go! Went with a clip down hatch cover, so we will see how it goes. Need to go out and run it. Speed should be somewhere south of 70 or 80 mph. South as in, 40 or 50 mph! LOL!

I can fit two 3s-2200 batteries in it (2p), but will try it on one first.

Figure I will start with a y531 prop. It matches the purple!

befu
06-27-2010, 08:46 PM
Well I got back out with the boys today to run thier crackerboxes and took the new 1/16 hydro along.

Tried it out with a 2s-2200 first on the y531. Took off from a stop with no problems, nice and slow speed, but it seemed like the front was riding low, transom high. Left front sponson looked like it was pushing water, but it ran fine.

Brought it in and dropped a 3s-2200 -20c battery in it. Ran it again. RPM's picked way up and it took off! Still running wet in the front, transom hopping some. Ran about 4 laps at partial throttle and then opened it up along the front straight, close to shore. About 1/2 way down the front it submarined..... deep! Took about 7 seconds to come up, had to reassure my son it would come back up when he asked, not sure if I sounded all that confident. It came back up floating perfectly flat, that is why it surfaced so slowly I think. Drove it back into shore full of water.

This time I put a 30mm plastic prop from OSE on it and ran it again. I also moved the battery back about 3/4" and it did much better. The driver on the other hand.... :huh: Crashed it hard! Full speed into a 2" steel pipe sticking about an inch out of the water. I was way to close to shore, look at the damage. At least kevlar is tough!

No data yet, will get that soon enough.
2jywh9Xvyp4