PDA

View Full Version : Lipo LVC

lferguson
04-10-2007, 10:34 PM
Best way to sak this question is......
If your cells are very well balanced going in and coming out, is there a need for a LVC besides the ESC. There are a few companies that make these LVC units. Should I just rely on the ESC cutt off or should I play it safe and use one of these units?:confused:

sjslhill
04-10-2007, 10:36 PM
LVC and balancing are two totally different things......

LVC is the total voltage of the pack, balance is the voltage of each cell.

An ESC is total pack voltage cutoff and that is good.

Balancing is done afterwards, during charing or after charging.

lferguson
04-10-2007, 10:42 PM
I know but why I am asking is that the LVC units sold "3rd party" monitor each individual cell and cut off based on the lowest cell. ESC will cut off based on total pack voltage. If my cells are out of balance going in or one cell is weakan d becomes out of balance during the run, the weak (not nessersarly bad) cell might drop below say 3.0V while the others have mabey 3.8V. THis could make the ESC read a good total pack voltage while permitly daming that one cell. The "3rd party" units prevent this. But If I know to be a fact I don't have weak cells, then thre is no need for these, right?

sjslhill
04-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Oh, that's new stuff.....I think the ESC should be good enough myself.

lferguson
04-10-2007, 10:49 PM
I am super bad at math.. ignore those numbers. LOL ESC vendors have told me the same thing, but individuals have told me oposite. I just don't want to damage $100-$200+ packs by accidently over running or something, but also I am kinda getting tried of the "hassle" or these units also. This issue has also gotten me frustrated a few times.

JimClark
04-10-2007, 11:21 PM
then take the time to balance them often.
Jim

SJFE
04-10-2007, 11:47 PM
I need to go back to school on batteries.(my own this time). One thing I'm not doin is takin any advice I get from "guys" . It's funny how you get reading a thread on RCU and for a while you think"hey this guy knows his stuff". Then you run into some on either in the business or industry and the reality is...you where listing to some snot nose kid or rich moron who’s smoked more packs than the Marlboro man....I'm sick of having to cut through the crap to get reliable data. I gona buy the stuff and do it myself.

Rex R
04-11-2007, 02:04 AM
I've read(elsewhere) that ideally you should set the lvc to 3.1v per cell. With the cc80 and the castle link this is painless, select custom for lvc then set the lvc to the voltage you want(if you don't select custom, the exact setting box is 'greyed' out).