PDA

View Full Version : Outrigger for a set of batteries

beau0090_99
02-02-2010, 10:59 PM
Hey Guys,
I'm new to R/C boats, but have spent a while in R/C planes (Nitro and electric) and Helis. I have a bunch of 3S 2200 mah lipos that I use in my planes and my helis, so I was wondering if there is a good outrigger designed around a pair of these rather ubiquitous batteries. I was looking at the ZippKits JAG .12 and the .21 and was trying to think about what would be a good sized boat to use a pair of these in parallel or series (Assume series would be easier as it seems it is easier to find ESC's in the 2-6S range and motor come wound pretty easily between 1500 and 3000 kv).

I like the thought of using them as they are super cheap, but don't know what I don't know.
Thanks,
Curtis

Chilli
02-02-2010, 11:22 PM
IMO- For the time, effort and money you would invest in building a boat around those batteries, I think you would ultimately be disapointed with it's performance. Lipos are getting cheaper and better every year. You can get a 4S 35C 5000 pack from Hobby City for about $50.

If your interested in riggers, Zippkits just started producing the JAE21FE. A number of us are building them. It's my first kit boat and even though I ran across a few snags, it was fun and easy. I built the kit in about 5 days. Offshore Electrics sells the "Rigged Insanity" which is also a kit, but a little smaller than the JAE. With power from the Aquacraft UL-1 motor, these boats will run cheap and fast.

beau0090_99
02-03-2010, 08:08 AM
Thank you. I really wasn't too interested in building my own, but was wondering if anyone had designed one for these. They are so cheap (I think I paid 11.99 for my last 25C pack), and available everywhere, that I thought it might be a good battery to produce somewhat of a "stock" class of boats. I'll look at the rigged insanity though, that might be a good option.
Any other ideas?
Thank you.
C

Chilli
02-03-2010, 08:54 AM
I don't have too much knowledge/experience with boats under 29 inches, but plenty on this board do. I'm sure someone will come up with suggestions for you. Good luck. It's a great hobby.