PDA

View Full Version : Renegade Rigger Sponson Shape

marko500
02-02-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm building a Renegade Riggerand while looking at pictures of all the builds it appears that the rear of the sponson is square ( the outside surface is parallel to the inside surface). Did you guys use the rear sponson piece in the kit that has the outside surface on an angle and the pictures are decieving, or did you keep them square and make a new piece for the rear? Not sure what to do any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark

Meniscus
02-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Diego, are you going to weigh in here?

Standby Marko, I'll take a look at mine later this evening when I get home and provide input. My guess is, you'll have full explanation and response by then. :thumbup1:

Diegoboy
02-02-2010, 05:17 PM
I used the provided piece. It wasn't bad to assemble.

Rumdog
02-02-2010, 07:44 PM
Me too.

marko500
02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I figured it was too easy just to square them up and sheet them. No big deal. One more question, are you guys removing the skeg from the bottom of the strut? Thanks again for the help, I'm really enjoying building this boat, just need the ponds to thaw. Only a couple more months to go.
Mark

Meniscus
02-04-2010, 09:13 AM
Yes, most of us remove the skeg. Traditionally, a skeg on a strut serves to keep the boat moving in a straight line. This also means that less rudder is required to make it track straight. That being said, IMO I believe that the rudder is sufficient to keep the boat tracking properly. The only other reason I can think to keep one is to help prevent prop walk, but with the size props we are running coupled with the stock motor from MileHigh, I think that it isn't worth the extra drag the skeg creates.

Hopefully this helps explain why most have removed and some of the thoughts behind what it does for the model. Personally, I would think that unless you are running SAW or a mono, a skeg is usually not needed. However, I'm not really a mono guy and maybe someone else could provide additional input on that subject as appropriate.