PDA

View Full Version : ECO Class

CornelP
02-01-2010, 07:25 AM
Hi guys, I recently ordered an Eco hull (Rush Evo, copy of Sonic Evo), 51cm long.
I intend to build it and maybe race it this year, if everything is ok...
My only problem is: any good tutorials on Eco setups? I have been looking around and I could not find anything... submerged drive is quite new for me (still struggling with surface :tongue_smilie: )

Thanks

Cornel

BILL OXIDEAN
02-01-2010, 10:25 AM
Look toward some euro forums. everywhere else in the world races eco but US I don't know whats wrong with these guys here, somewhere down the line they decided boats under 23 inches simply cant be raced :confused2:

I particularly love ecos but mine are all set up at the factory by toysport.

Etti makes the sweetest eco drive

CornelP
02-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Will do, maybe Gerwin knows a bit more, now that i think about this...
Thank you

BILL OXIDEAN
02-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Will do, maybe Gerwin knows a bit more, now that i think about this...
Thank you

Yeah, that guy seems to have a broad spectrum of knowledge..

Gerwin Brommer
02-01-2010, 11:09 AM
Knock knock.....

http://www.eco-idc.de/eco-news/eco-news-techn.html#Einbau
everything is in millimeters, hull is 500 mm long.
So : rudder at 10%
Prop at 25 %

CornelP
02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
THANK YOU!!!
When I'll get the hull, will start a build thread...
The hull is:
http://www.rc-raceboats-world.de/xoshop/product_info.php?pName=eco-rush-evo-p-431&cName=hulls-and-stuff-eco-hulls-c-3_70

defsaturn6501
02-04-2010, 10:53 AM
and people wonder why RC Boat Racing is not more popular in the US. When Newbs see that you need to spend over $1000 to have a semi competitive race boat, they tend to get turned off..I would love it if more people Ran ECO! would also bring more people to the hobby

CornelP
02-04-2010, 11:03 AM
Well, my estimated costs are:
Hull: 130$
Motor: 70$ (Feigao 14S)
ESC: 60$ (Turnigy Marine 60A)
Driveshaft/Rudder/Prop: 70$ (nothing fancy, rudder home made)
Battery: 30$ (2S 5000 40C, HK)
Radio: 110$ (Spektrum DX5)

Total: 470$ for something you can actually race... and have loads of fun!

sundog
02-04-2010, 11:58 PM
Knock knock.....

http://www.eco-idc.de/eco-news/eco-news-techn.html#Einbau
everything is in millimeters, hull is 500 mm long.
So : rudder at 10%
Prop at 25 %

I too have been looking for this info so I can properly convert a Foki SX to eco. Thanks Gerwin, I'll try to get this translated.

Cornel, I'll be watching your build! :biggrin:

sundog
02-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Gerwin, that was interesting reading but I'm looking for more info on eco setups. Info dealing with measurements from COG for different hulls and hull types, etc. If you know of such a link, please share! Thanks, Sdg.

BILL OXIDEAN
02-05-2010, 10:42 AM
and people wonder why RC Boat Racing is not more popular in the US. When Newbs see that you need to spend over $1000 to have a semi competitive race boat, they tend to get turned off..I would love it if more people Ran ECO! would also bring more people to the hobby

Hey buddy, you wanna' be part of my campaign to reduce the size and cost of FE?
All y' gotta do is play with smaller boats, post pics and vids, and have a great attitude about it..

I like big boats as well as the next skipper but the push from the power supremacists mmade huge length restrictions, monster power even in the smallest classes and all around expensive running.

A competitive N-2 mono is over 1,000 bux to get into..

T.S.Davis
02-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Ya know I've never seen two of these in one place. I don't know of any conspiracy to get rid of small inexpensive stuff. The ECO's just never captured the imagination of the US guys. Still have no idea why. I've never seen a heat raced. Not even at a nats. Go figure.

Gerwin Brommer
02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Sundoq.

The 10% , 25% etc etc rule, works for all eco's, as a basic setup.

sundog
02-05-2010, 04:18 PM
You'll have to excuse my ignorance; 10% and 25% of what? Total length of boat? Waterline? From center of gravity? :confused2: I could make it look like the diagram, but I have a feeling rudder placement is critical on ecos, after seeing how fast these boats turn!

sundog
02-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Guess Gerwin is indisposed at the moment. Anybody else know about this 10%, 25% rule he was talking about?

CornelP
02-09-2010, 10:16 AM
The values are percents of hull length, measured from transom. 10% from transom is the rudder placement, 25% prop position (as per the drawing in Gerwin's link).

sundog
02-09-2010, 10:56 AM
That's what I would have assumed, but in the drawing the rudder looks to be at about 16% of total boat length. And if the rudder in the drawing is at 50 mm (10% of 500) then the prop looks to be at around 85mm (17%) so I guess the drawing is not to scale.

And since different boats have different transom and bow angles, measuring at the waterline makes more sense. But the center of gravity has to be a big factor here as well. That 10%, 25% rule doesn't sound right after looking at other eco rudder/strut placements.

CornelP
02-09-2010, 11:13 AM
Well, the drawing is not at scale, but you have dimensions... and the total length. Apparently CoG is a trial and error procedure, as the hardware combination will influence the running more than a normal surface driven mono. I do not know yet if this is true, still waiting for the hull... I read that CoG should be a bit in front of the prop, quite close to it, so the 30% rule should apply here.

sundog
02-09-2010, 11:43 AM
I will be interested in what the measurements of your boat are when you get it.

Anybody else that can turn me on to an eco setup site, please post the link. Or if you know more about rudder/strut placement on an eco please help!:help:

I may wind up selling the Foki SX evolution hull (and hardware) and get a Reef Racer to mod with a brushless setup; they look fun. There's nobody to race ecos with around here anyways. If interested, make me an offer on the Foki!

Gerwin Brommer
02-09-2010, 02:04 PM
rudder at 10% from transom
prop at 25% from transom

Basic rule for all eco's.

sjslhill
02-10-2010, 10:06 AM
:doh: The truth will get the NAMBA police on your back....:blah:

Hey buddy, you wanna' be part of my campaign to reduce the size and cost of FE?
All y' gotta do is play with smaller boats, post pics and vids, and have a great attitude about it..

I like big boats as well as the next skipper but the push from the power supremacists mmade huge length restrictions, monster power even in the smallest classes and all around expensive running.

A competitive N-2 mono is over 1,000 bux to get into..