PDA

View Full Version : Quick cooling Mod for UL-1

Diesel6401
01-31-2010, 07:19 PM
So I was bored a several weeks ago a bought this cooling water pickup from Kintec. I wanted to add more cooling to my ul-1 but didn't want to drill a hole or add a hole to the rudder. I went the quick direction and added this to one of the holes on the rudder mount. I thought it may produce drag and disrupt the way the ul-1 handled, but I was shocked when I test it last week and I didn't notice any loss of performance. I didn't gps the speed so I'm not sure if I loss a mph or 2, but it handled and performed excellant and temps were great. I checked them but didn't write them down. Just a nice little add on that can be easily installed and removed.

Shooter
02-01-2010, 09:19 PM
Looks good Diesel! I just might do this myself!

I too am a strong supporter of extra cooling. My cooling exit shoots straight up out of the sponson deck so I can make sure she's drinking plenty of water.

Diesel6401
02-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Looks good Diesel! I just might do this myself!

I too am a strong supporter of extra cooling. My cooling exit shoots straight up out of the sponson deck so I can make sure she's drinking plenty of water.

Thanx, for $10 I thought it would be worth a try. So far I am very happy with how it works. I was also thinking of changing where the water exit is so that I can monitor waterflow like you did. Stock setup their is just no way to check water exit.

Grimracer
02-02-2010, 01:58 PM
One thing you can do is to bend a length of brass tube into a 90.. plug it into the water exit line so you can see the water coming out..

Also.. if you are not getting allot of water make sure to file the water pickup opening to the leading edge of the rudder..

O yea.. if your rudder is not sharp.. the pickup opening will not be very effective.
:buttrock:

Grim

Diesel6401
02-02-2010, 07:29 PM
One thing you can do is to bend a length of brass tube into a 90.. plug it into the water exit line so you can see the water coming out..

Also.. if you are not getting allot of water make sure to file the water pickup opening to the leading edge of the rudder..

O yea.. if your rudder is not sharp.. the pickup opening will not be very effective.

Grim

Thanx for the advice Grim...

Capt. Crash
02-03-2010, 08:27 AM

Grim

Grim...are you recommending filing on the stock rudder...if so...got a pic?

Crash

Grimracer
02-03-2010, 08:53 AM
capt,

Dont fill the hole. better yet make sure the leading edge of the rudder blade meets the front tip of the hole.. You can do this by sharpening the starboard side of the blade (the right) until the water pickup hole meets the leading edge.

Or

You can use a burr and elongate the hole to the leading edge..

Did any of that make since to.. cuz it hardly did to me and I said it! :doh:

Grim

Capt. Crash
02-03-2010, 09:00 AM
That makes sense...I don't think I did though. What I was trying to ask is do we need to grind on, as in sharpen, the stock rudder blade. If so exactly where...and got pics of a modified one?

Your answer , answered that first question...thanks

Crash

dreamland s4
01-06-2011, 02:41 AM
So I was bored a several weeks ago a bought this cooling water pickup from Kintec. I wanted to add more cooling to my ul-1 but didn't want to drill a hole or add a hole to the rudder. I went the quick direction and added this to one of the holes on the rudder mount. I thought it may produce drag and disrupt the way the ul-1 handled, but I was shocked when I test it last week and I didn't notice any loss of performance. I didn't gps the speed so I'm not sure if I loss a mph or 2, but it handled and performed excellant and temps were great. I checked them but didn't write them down. Just a nice little add on that can be easily installed and removed.

is it truly worth it? it looks good!

Jeff Wohlt
01-06-2011, 08:08 AM
Another option that works great is on the right sponson