PDA

View Full Version : 29 Seaducer

Scott T
01-31-2010, 03:46 AM
This boat had been knocking around various forums for sales a couple of years back. It was bought, then came up again at the bargain price of AUD$80, so I couldn't resist!

She's an old 29" Seaducer. Quite light at about 700g bare (I'd once bought carbon nitro SD29, but it was a tank at 1,200g - solid though!!). We run a class that only allows Ammo and Feigao style motors, so I thought this would be a great candidate for my trusty 8XL. It's a quick thread, it's all a bit rough, so I didn't take many photos. It's designed to be fast and functional - but she aint pretty!

Since it was so light, some carbon reinforcement of the floor was necessary. This required some serious sanding to sort the floor out. Then I cut some carbon and very light fibreglass cloth and layed it in the hull. The glass cloth helps hold the carbon edges in place and weighs almost nothing. I did get the carbon shape very wrong, but I figured it's only an $80 boat, so perfection was not needed :doh: In the end, the carbon really stiffened up the bottom.

Scott T
01-31-2010, 03:58 AM
I decided to do a wet well as I've never set up an SD before, so wanted some adjustability with my strut. I'd done this before using a wooden box in my DF33, but followed the lead of others by using a large diameter brass tube this time. The driveline was set up with the motor in place and the strut about where I thought it should be. The stuffing tube was cut and bent, then the well cut to about the length I wanted. It was simply a case of putting it all in place and plugging the end end of the well with a shaped piece of plywood (already sealed). Then epoxying in the well for good.

Not much hardware goes on the rear of an SD, so it's simply the strut (same as Zippkits sell) and a Speedmaster rudder. I set the strut bracket higher than shown in the SD instructions, as I'd read about possible problems of the bracket getting in the water stream off the back of the boat. It sits perfectly level with the rudder, so all looks neat.

Mounting the servo proved difficult as I wanted it to the side, rather than in the middle as per the nitro style. But I didn't want to mount the servo too wide, as this would have raised the servo position higher than I wanted. So with lots of putting the servo in, and taking it out, I ended up with the flat plywood plate as shown. It's epoxied in and locks in nicely with the rails. The servo is simply double-sided taped to this, then cable ties wrapped around the servo and plate. May not sound solid, but I haved used this method before and the servo will not budge. The servo is an HD DS090M for $20! It's really good - fast with good centreing and lots of torque. Doesn't buzz either, unlike other digi servos I've tried.

Scott T
01-31-2010, 04:08 AM
I didn't take many shots along the way, but she's finished! Mounted my Hacker 70 with a UBEC under the left deck. Futaba receiver also there. 4S1P TP 5000 lipo sits on a plywood plate that I glassed down the centre of the hull. Velcro and a velcro strap hold the lipo in place. The wiring is a bit messier than I'd like, due to the UBEC leads being short. I'm going to drop a Hydra 120 in there, and move a few things slightly to make a neater layout.

Scott T
01-31-2010, 04:24 AM
First test runs were today. Started with a Grimracer 40x52/3 prop that is fairly similar to the recommended 440/3. Runs went well, the boat tracks straight and is brilliant through the turns.

However, I think the CG is too far back (31%) and it gets very flighty midway down the straights. I tried angling the strut down, but there wasn't much difference. I couldn't get the cells any further forward due to the flotation, so I'll cut a bit of the foam out for next time. I also think the boat is still quite light (2,050g RTR), so I'll probably add some weight just forward of the current CG and see how that goes.

She'll eventually get painted as well, as the current scheme is regularly used by the guy I bought the boat from. I'll keep the same design, but change the colours, and maybe get the airbrush out of the cupboard. I think I'm really going to like this boat, it's kinda beautifully ugly! :smile:

andym
01-31-2010, 05:08 AM
Looks good mate, I have gone to a flooded shaft on my self righting DF 33 build. I like the idea of really being able to adjust that strut. The few seducers I have seen look to get a bit aired out down the straights without being uncontrollable. I have seen them stuff themselves when set up wrong though.

Scott T
01-31-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Andy! Yeah the flooded shafts work well, and are pretty simple.

I'm trying the avoid the dreaded SD stuff (or Seadunk as I call it!), But she's a bit too aired out at the moment, Not far off though.

andym
01-31-2010, 05:44 AM
They are a very fast hull when set up well. What speeds and what power system mate ?

Xzessperated
01-31-2010, 06:15 AM
Nice work Scott. You have given that old hull a new lease of life. I like the idea of the class you are going to run it in. Not expensive to compete in and should provide some close racing.

Xcesive8
01-31-2010, 07:07 AM
Seen this boat run today..
She went really well!!

Hope to see y'z up there again soon. :beerchug:
Ryan

Scott T
01-31-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi Ryan,
Good to see you up here today. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, found myself a bit busy (as usual!). You cat looks great, hope to see it run sometime.

Andy,
Not sure of speeds, but it's running a Nemesis 8XL (re-badged Feigao), 4S1P and a Hacker 70.

Paddy,
I'm happy the old girl has another crack at life. The class is good, and speeds aren't far behind the full blown EA Monos.

Kris Flynn
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
That boat has been every where. I actually saw it in a picture in RCBM back when it was blue. I bought it and ran it a couple of times, but never had time to tune it. Then to Tony, now to you...what a slut LOL

Jimmy Sterling
01-31-2010, 04:49 PM
How was the weather on Sunday Scotty ? We were going to make the trip down but the transport van is in for a replacement timing belt and water pump.

Looking forward to first race meet :banana:

Jimmy

Scott T
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
That boat has been every where. I actually saw it in a picture in RCBM back when it was blue. I bought it and ran it a couple of times, but never had time to tune it. Then to Tony, now to you...what a slut LOL

She's been around alright! Hopefully she'll stay with me for a while :thumbup1:

Jim, the weather was OK, bit of rain, some choppy water, some smooth. Everyone got runs in though. See you on the 28th!

bonewar
02-02-2010, 12:50 AM
Scott ,

Mate that set up on the shaft is an awesome idea!

What stops the water coming in(shaft) the inside of the boat.

Ive been trying real hard to get down to the Gold Coast ,but work and wife keep getting in the way.
Can't wait to see all you guys run. Soon i hope.

Rick :rockon2:

Scott T
02-02-2010, 05:27 AM
Rick, the two brass tubes are sealed at the front with plywood. It's hard to get a decent photo of it. I run teflon tubing, and no water comes up past the flex shaft. This is probably helped because the front of the strut is hidden behind the boat, and this can be an entrance for water to come up the strut (if there's any space between the stuffing tube and the strut.

jwt
02-07-2010, 08:57 PM
[QUOTE=Scott T;155492]I decided to do a wet well as I've never set up an SD before, so wanted some adjustability with my strut. I'd done this before using a wooden box in my DF33, but followed the lead of others by using a large diameter brass tube this time. The driveline was set up with the motor in place and the strut about where I thought it should be. The stuffing tube was cut and bent, then the well cut to about the length I wanted. It was simply a case of putting it all in place and plugging the end end of the well with a shaped piece of plywood (already sealed). Then epoxying in the well for good.

Scott

no 6mm spacer this time between the transon and strut bracket ??
what about soldering the brass tubes as opposed to plywood and glue, in the well??

jwt

Scott T
02-07-2010, 10:14 PM
JOhn,

Shouldn't you be building a couple of Storms instead of surfing the net?? :tongue_smilie:

Seaducer set up instructions put the prop right where mine is, so no need for a spacer on this one.

The ply was handy, didn't have any brass sheet to solder in there, and the gap was too big for just solder. It's worked well.

You'll be happy to know I've moved a couple of things since these photos, so my wiring is now neater, and I trimmed those screws for ya! :thumbup1:

Heath M
02-08-2010, 02:02 AM
It sure did look good on the water Scotty, and the newest member of our fan club certainly enjoyed watching it go, as you probably heard from his cheering and clapping lol.

Hi Ryan,
Good to see you up here today. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, found myself a bit busy (as usual!). You cat looks great, hope to see it run some time

I to should have introduced myself but was hard pressed to do anything other than chase my 2 yr old around the paddock. Next time i'll bring boats and not kids lol

Heath