PDA

View Full Version : Why No Deans Plug 7 cell NiMh's??

Checkmateguy01
01-30-2010, 04:36 PM
Thinkin about getting some 7 cell NIMH packs but i see none offered with Deans connectors. I know i could cut the ends off any set of 7 cell batts. and put Deans plugs on, but why are they not offered by anyone like Duratrax, Integy ect.?? Are Deans connectors not good enough for the extra voltage of the 7 cells??

Rumdog
01-30-2010, 05:04 PM
They can handle the voltage, but are no good over 60 amps. Why not lipos?

Doby
01-30-2010, 06:30 PM
You can get LiPos for cheaper than the dead Ni technology batteries.

Checkmateguy01
01-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Ok, i looked at Lipo's today, but again, i have no idea what i'm lookin at! 30c, 25c, 2s, 3s, the only thing i understand is the capacity's on them. My SV27 is plenty quick enough on NIMH's, i can barely keep it right side up on the lake (not pond) i run on. My other boat, an old Dumas .20 nitro vee i converted into an FE boat last year, is pretty heavy and would surely benefit from Lipo's, but i don't know what to get. It has a Fageio 9xl 1898KV motor and an Etti 150a ESC, ran pretty good on NIMH's but i never got the boat dialed in due to some radio problems and a bad drive shaft, i'm working on gettin ready to try again with it this season. Also, i would like to get my hands on that new cat Aquacraft has in the works and Grim said it won't run to well on 6-cell NIMH's and that if i were to stick with the nickel batt's i'd have to run 7 cells in the boat. So i'm a little frustrated, i'd have to get a balancer, fire proof bags for the lipo's, and use my Super Brain 977 to charge the Lipo's that i've heard is not a good Lipo charger, even tho it is capable. So as anal as i am about stuff a new charger would be a must, not sure if i want to spend that money, plus i can't seem to find any lipo's (going by the Tower website) that are less expensive than NIMH's, so i don't get how they are cheaper than the nickel batt's. If nitro wasn't such a PITA, with startes, glow plug heaters, fuel, and stalling, i'd go back to nitro in a heart beat!! I got into the FE stuff, thanks to my SV27, cuz i thought it was much more simple!

Rumdog
01-31-2010, 03:32 PM
www.hobbyking.com Turnigy and zippy lipos are excellent. get the highest c rating you can afford. 2s= 7.4 volts. lipos are 3.7volts per cell.

Fluid
01-31-2010, 06:27 PM
Actually, FE is generally simpler. No needle to chase, no volatile fuel, no burnt out glow plugs, no sucking water and dying. Just remember that when you started nitro you didn't know anything either.....

Decent cheap LiPo cells are available at HobbyKing and other sites; they last longer and give better performance than NiMH cells. Tower is hardly the end-all of R/C stores! You can ask here what others recommend, but for the SV27 two 2S/3300mAh 20C cells are plenty, use higher capacity cells if you want more run time. Wired in series they give 14.8 volts, about what 14 NiMH cells give under load. Did you go here and read about LiPos? http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=12020

Sell your old charger and get an inexpensive LiPo charger and a cheap balancer. That's all that's really needed. The other stuff is nice to have, not essential. You don't need a LiPo bag, just charge on a safe surface - the patio away from walls, etc. I have a bag but hardly use it any more...

Don't be foolish and go back to nitro just because you are afraid to learn FE technology. This site has plenty of FAQs and helpful folks.

Diesel6401
01-31-2010, 06:46 PM
Ok, i looked at Lipo's today, but again, i have no idea what i'm lookin at! 30c, 25c, 2s, 3s, the only thing i understand is the capacity's on them. My SV27 is plenty quick enough on NIMH's, i can barely keep it right side up on the lake (not pond) i run on. My other boat, an old Dumas .20 nitro vee i converted into an FE boat last year, is pretty heavy and would surely benefit from Lipo's, but i don't know what to get. It has a Fageio 9xl 1898KV motor and an Etti 150a ESC, ran pretty good on NIMH's but i never got the boat dialed in due to some radio problems and a bad drive shaft, i'm working on gettin ready to try again with it this season. Also, i would like to get my hands on that new cat Aquacraft has in the works and Grim said it won't run to well on 6-cell NIMH's and that if i were to stick with the nickel batt's i'd have to run 7 cells in the boat. So i'm a little frustrated, i'd have to get a balancer, fire proof bags for the lipo's, and use my Super Brain 977 to charge the Lipo's that i've heard is not a good Lipo charger, even tho it is capable. So as anal as i am about stuff a new charger would be a must, not sure if i want to spend that money, plus i can't seem to find any lipo's (going by the Tower website) that are less expensive than NIMH's, so i don't get how they are cheaper than the nickel batt's. If nitro wasn't such a PITA, with startes, glow plug heaters, fuel, and stalling, i'd go back to nitro in a heart beat!! I got into the FE stuff, thanks to my SV27, cuz i thought it was much more simple!

I was just like you not wanting to make the jump to lipo, but I'm glad I did. So much better than NIMH its not even a question. It's really not that hard, just respect the battery and understand this isn't a toy. Read the information provided on this site and you'll be fine. If you have the radio box still in your SV than regular zippy's are a little snug fit, but hard case lipo's fit in wonderfully. You should also get a lipo shield for your SV. It may take a few $$$ to jump into lipos at first, but once you get your charger the batteries themselves are way cheaper the NIMH. I won't waste another dollar on NIMH if I don't have to.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=9514
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXVRS6&P=ML
http://kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html (get the lipo shield on this page with the deans already on)

Checkmateguy01
01-31-2010, 09:53 PM
Actually, FE is generally simpler. No needle to chase, no volatile fuel, no burnt out glow plugs, no sucking water and dying. Just remember that when you started nitro you didn't know anything either.....

Decent cheap LiPo cells are available at HobbyKing and other sites; they last longer and give better performance than NiMH cells. Tower is hardly the end-all of R/C stores! You can ask here what others recommend, but for the SV27 two 2S/3300mAh 20C cells are plenty, use higher capacity cells if you want more run time. Wired in series they give 14.8 volts, about what 14 NiMH cells give under load. Did you go here and read about LiPos? http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=12020

Sell your old charger and get an inexpensive LiPo charger and a cheap balancer. That's all that's really needed. The other stuff is nice to have, not essential. You don't need a LiPo bag, just charge on a safe surface - the patio away from walls, etc. I have a bag but hardly use it any more...

Don't be foolish and go back to nitro just because you are afraid to learn FE technology. This site has plenty of FAQs and helpful folks.

Very true, i was a newb too nitro at one time too, but i actually started R/C boating with electrics when i was a kid (Traxxas Villain, MRP Bud Dry cat) running 6 and 7 cell NiCD's!! Ok, i did a bunch of reading on the "lipo facts" thread, still a bit confused. Lemmie see if this is right, if a pack is a 3s1p, that means it's 3 cells, 3.7V per cell (11.1 total), 1 parrallel?? Still don't get the C rating? So what could i get that would be good for a heavy V-bottom with a 9xl and 150a Etti esc, a weekend fun runner? How hard is it to program the Etti for the Lipo's, it's defualt set for nickels. For the record, i'm keepin the SV27 on NIMH's, i just want to keep that boat stock and think about my other boat and possibly a future boat.