PDA

View Full Version : Prop Testing in a pool?

r1wheel
01-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi,

Just wondering if doing a stationary run in a pool will give a indicator of how many amps a prop will pull. I am using FE calc however would like some real numbers. Only cause i have to run the boat at a beach 30min away and it would be alot easier to test at home.

thanks

m4a1usr
01-30-2010, 06:36 PM
Are you talking about holding onto the boat and give the throttle a quick spin up? You could do that. The resistance from no acceleration (no slip), motor will be about as loaded one could be depending on prop, and will show a monster amperage spike in duration (not amplitutude) if you are data logging. My opinion is it could be beneficial to some degree. But it will not tell you details like the prop is too big or your strut is set too deep, there is too much rudder in the water, etc. Your going to need to run the boat to see such things.

John

Rumdog
01-31-2010, 01:26 AM
IMO the prop would just start slipping. Holding the boat in place, while pushing against an immovable force will just cause prop slippage, which is nothing like the load under acceleration with just the weight of the boat and drag of the water being involved.