PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Electric Hydroplane boat

jaydee49
01-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Hello, excuse my newbieness. New to RC boats, we live in a city that has a narrow lagoon that connects to our backyard. Only electric boats allowed. Looking for an electric hydroplane that's good for a beginner. Don't need something that races but don't want to get bored quickly either.

Two boats I've been looking at are Aquacraft Mini Thunder (affordable, worried about speed/boredom) and Miss Elam (new one OUT of my price range)

If anyone has a used hydro that is in my price range or suggestions on a good beginner boat that's RTR it would be appreciated. Thanks!

Hydromaniac
01-29-2010, 10:56 AM
I have this one for sale, It is going to Ebay in a few days, Great Hydro and it can be upgraded to a much faster set up.http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=12325

Chop
01-29-2010, 11:17 AM
:welcome: aboard jaydee,

Just what exactly is your price range???

jaydee49
01-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Trying to stay 100-200 with everything if possible new or used. Which is why the Mini Thunder is appealing price wise. I like the Miss Elam but I would be well over 400 by the time I got it up and running.

I know "you get what you pay for" not looking for anything that's going to go 50mph but something I can sit on the edge of my backyard and have a little fun driving.

Hydromaniac
01-29-2010, 11:34 AM
If interested in the one I've I shown I would put an almost new AM radio system in it for $225 RTR shipped. all you would need then is a charger.

Chop
01-29-2010, 11:35 AM
Minicatracing (http://www.minicatracingusa.com/)has some great boats - just a little out of your price range $229 + shipping. You would also need a Tx & Rx, charger & batteries.

Some of the boats are small - great if your lagoon is "narrow." I have found them to be fun boats to run.

Hydromaniac's boat looks like a steal!!!

bwells
01-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Check out the Traxxas Villian EX. It is a mono though but new rtr for 229. Almost impossible to flip.

bustitup
01-29-2010, 12:15 PM
Hello, excuse my newbieness. New to RC boats, we live in a city that has a narrow lagoon that connects to our backyard. Only electric boats allowed. Looking for an electric hydroplane that's good for a beginner. Don't need something that races but don't want to get bored quickly either.

Two boats I've been looking at are Aquacraft Mini Thunder (affordable, worried about speed/boredom) and Miss Elam (new one OUT of my price range)

If anyone has a used hydro that is in my price range or suggestions on a good beginner boat that's RTR it would be appreciated. Thanks!

dude...hydromaniac has offered you a quality RC boat the is RTR with batteries for $220
and its not cheesy like the mini thunder..its got a real motor and real esc not junk and the hull is awesome with quality hardware and its an easy 40 mph+ boat

its the deal you are looking for believe me

bustitup
01-29-2010, 02:30 PM
just found this new listing that seems unbeatable RTR

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=596023

egneg
01-29-2010, 03:01 PM
just found this new listing that seems unbeatable RTR

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=596023

Add a Tactic TX/RX for $80.00 and you are good to go.

bustitup
01-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Add a Tactic TX/RX for $80.00 and you are good to go.

it does come with an rx/tx....if he wants 2.4 system I will give him one for $40 and guarantee it works properly

its a pretty neat little shovel hydro

egneg
01-29-2010, 03:44 PM
it does come with an rx/tx....if he wants 2.4 system I will give him one for $40 and guarantee it works properly

its a pretty neat little shovel hydro

Sorry about that ... I didn't look at the big picture. :sorry:

befu
01-29-2010, 04:04 PM
Trying to stay 100-200 with everything if possible new or used. Which is why the Mini Thunder is appealing price wise. I like the Miss Elam but I would be well over 400 by the time I got it up and running.

I know "you get what you pay for" not looking for anything that's going to go 50mph but something I can sit on the edge of my backyard and have a little fun driving.

Define "everything".

Do you have a charger? Lipo's? props? battery connectors?

Brian

jaydee49
01-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Brian

starting from scratch...don't have anything yet. I know 100-200 won't get me a whole lot but not looking to race anything either.

befu
01-29-2010, 06:38 PM
I understand the fun running. I used to race nitro and gas, now I just fun run with the kids. They are cheaper and not as fast, but you can have a lot of fun with a small 18" ish boat and 20 to 25 amps. With Turnigy batteries, you can get some great run times for a very low cost.

Great way to get into. Just becareful - they are addictive.

Brian

Jeepers
01-29-2010, 06:44 PM
dude...hydromaniac has offered you a quality RC boat the is RTR with batteries for $220
and its not cheesy like the mini thunder..its got a real motor and real esc not junk and the hull is awesome with quality hardware and its an easy 40 mph+ boat

its the deal you are looking for believe me

Bustitup is correct hydromaniac boat is a steal and it is beautiful won best paint in concourse judging we clocked it at 45mph on the gps here.

bwells
01-29-2010, 10:17 PM
Do not forget that you will also add the batteries and charger into your price range. 2 lipos 2s 5000 Mah from Hong Kong shipped 50 bucks and then you need a good charger, maybe 100-150 bucks. But you only need these once. Good luck and it will be fun.

jaydee49
01-30-2010, 02:15 PM
Thanks all for your advice. Taking a look at Hydromaniac's boat and also the one on RCUniverse and doing some more research. All your posts were very helpful!

Rumdog
01-30-2010, 06:07 PM
you wont find a better deal than the one Hydromaniac is offering for sure!

Chop
01-30-2010, 07:41 PM
you wont find a better deal than the one Hydromaniac is offering for sure!

:iagree:

jaydee49
01-31-2010, 01:21 AM
I was afraid Hydromaniac's boat might be a little too fast for our narrow lagoon so I went with the shovelnose hydro that was posted earlier. If I end up getting addicted as I anticipate, I can always upgrade later.

Hydro, thanks for the offer and great deal, you shouldn't have a hard time selling it at that price.

Jeff Wohlt
02-01-2010, 10:19 PM
I have a Campbell Shovel that needs a motor and ESC that I will part with. Has front ride pads and is a solid boat. Set up wth bearing strut and wire drive.

Still white so you can paint it at will.

$90