PDA

View Full Version : Darin's Delta Force 25.5" N2-Mono

Darin Jordan
09-05-2007, 08:28 PM
Hey Guys... I finally have her ready for final assembly... I'll get some completed pics once it's all together and show you the inside...

Doug Smock
09-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Looks great Darin!!

Doug

kck741
09-05-2007, 09:23 PM
Nice paint job,It looks like its going to have a mean looking stance in to water!!

Jeepers
09-05-2007, 09:29 PM
Darin that is really nice!

SJFE
09-05-2007, 09:40 PM
Darin the paint is excellent. Tell me you did that with spray bombs????

SJFE
09-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Oh and I cant wait to see the setup picks:drool: ...For some reason:tongue:

Darin Jordan
09-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Darin the paint is excellent. Tell me you did that with spray bombs????

Yup... the white, red, and green are Krylon Laquer, and the Silver is Dupli-Color Silver Metalic Laquer... And the "Smoke Metalic" for the window is Dupli-Color also... Then two coats of Dupli-Color clear gloss laquer, and two coats of Dupli-Color Clear High Gloss Top-Coat Laquer...

I was having trouble getting the clear to remain "clear"... kept fogging over for some reason... I may have had too high of humidity or something...

Oh... and a LOT of very expensive and pain-staking masking was involved... (expensive because of the vinyl masking striping tape I had to use...) I REALLY need to simplify my paint jobs! Now I know why some of you just use a single color and decals!!

SJFE
09-05-2007, 09:58 PM
Oh well this winter I'm busting out the Krylon on every thing..& there will be no stomping this time...LOL

Doug Smock
09-05-2007, 10:00 PM
OK!!! Is the paint dry yet? I'm ready to see some hardware. A buddy of mine has a 33 on the way!

Doug

SJFE
09-05-2007, 10:01 PM
A good buddy of mine has one sittin out in his kitchen..Callin him..."hey build me"

Doug Smock
09-05-2007, 10:05 PM
A good buddy of mine has one sittin out in his kitchen..Callin him..."hey build me"

COOL!!!! Ya building a P-mono to race with us next year?

Doug
PS Is it ok to refer to yourself as a "good buddy" LOL:tt2:

SJFE
09-05-2007, 10:13 PM
Awe man now it's out..:tongue:. Now that I think about it "good buddy" is not what one wants to be refered to @ all acording to my trucker friends:roflol:. You did guess correctly. I had planned to run N-2 but the P-Mono is what I have decided. I am still going to run that big Cat in P Offshore. Some one has to run a cat. I'll step up:smile:.

Mich. Maniac
09-05-2007, 10:47 PM
:glare: better take one step down. the top spot we be MINE!

SJFE
09-05-2007, 11:48 PM
I never said the top spot was mine. All I'm concerned with is keeping the right side down:wink:. The heats on you now to to back up the smack ya put down:tt2:

whiplash
09-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Yup... the white, red, and green are Krylon Laquer, and the Silver is Dupli-Color Silver Metalic Laquer... And the "Smoke Metalic" for the window is Dupli-Color also... Then two coats of Dupli-Color clear gloss laquer, and two coats of Dupli-Color Clear High Gloss Top-Coat Laquer...

I was having trouble getting the clear to remain "clear"... kept fogging over for some reason... I may have had too high of humidity or something...

Oh... and a LOT of very expensive and pain-staking masking was involved... (expensive because of the vinyl masking striping tape I had to use...) I REALLY need to simplify my paint jobs! Now I know why some of you just use a single color and decals!!
Darin, what type of undercoat did you use? a laquer primer? if so what color?:biggrin:

Darin Jordan
09-06-2007, 07:09 AM
Darin, what type of undercoat did you use? a laquer primer? if so what color?:biggrin:

After sanding the hull with 400 then 600 wet/dry, and cleaning with warm soapy water, I used Duplicolor White sandable primer, which I believe is a laquer...

andym
09-06-2007, 07:41 AM
Darin are you going to put this much effort into the TP2, if so should look FANTASTIC !!

Darin Jordan
09-06-2007, 08:24 AM
Darin are you going to put this much effort into the TP2, if so should look FANTASTIC !!

A little more basic, but yes... same color scheme... I've already painted the cowl... red from cockpit back along the backbone, white graduating stripe down the side, with silver along the nose and bottom... The deck will be red in the center-section, and green on the outside deck on tops of the sponsons... with a white stripe separating the two... Should't require the level of taping off that this one did... ;)

Oh, and the TS-2 will get the "Shark Teeth" treatment like the 2007 Oberto... :D

kck741
09-06-2007, 09:32 AM
Mad skills man,who would have thought that much can be done with a rattle can

Steven Vaccaro
09-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Nice paint job Darin. Lets see the good stuff now!

Darin Jordan
09-06-2007, 12:39 PM
Nice paint job Darin. Lets see the good stuff now!

It's my 10-year Anniversary today, so I won't be working on any boats this evening... We'll see if I can get some hardware installed tomorrow...

SJFE
09-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Hey I don't wana hear about not being able to work on boats....LOL. My day consists of sitting with the future inlaws while the little woman gets her nails & hair done. I went online lookin for the LHS up here....no good. Guess I crack a cold one :-p.

Doozie870
09-06-2007, 07:49 PM
Darin, thats another beauty!

Darin Jordan
09-07-2007, 10:37 PM
OK Guys... it's ready to rock... Test reports should follow tomorrow night... or Sunday...

Because I already have my 1515 0.5Y in my Dark Horse 26" for now, I'm starting out with a 1515 1D... Won't have quite the ZIP, but should still do alright... I'll let you know how things go down...

Doug Smock
09-07-2007, 10:49 PM
Nice work Darin!!!
Keep the wet side down!!:thumbup:

Doug
PS Are you building your own wires?

Darin Jordan
09-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Nice work Darin!!!
Keep the wet side down!!:thumbup:

Doug
PS Are you building your own wires?

Thanks Doug, I'll do my best...

Yes, I build my own wires... I've been using built up brass tubing, Loctite'd together for the stubs, and 1/16" piano wire... I'd rather use a stainless stub, but these seem to be holding up fine, and I haven't had good luck drilling the holes in the stainless stubs deep enough to reliably hold... ON mine, the wire goes ALL the way through... Then the drive dog and prop retainer (steel 3/16" lander gear retainers) help to hold the stub in place as well... Got two complete seasons out of the last one on my DH Shovel after losing/breaking thee of the stainless premade stub style wires... so I thought I'd give it another go...

Darin Jordan
09-07-2007, 11:05 PM
...Also, if you look carefully, you'll see that the arrangement has the wire ALMOST bendless! The flooded shaft log stuffing tube works wonders in this department... makes for a TON of adjustability the previously didn't exist in monos... especially with the Speedmaster/stinger style struts! I'm pretty pumped about trying it out!

Doug Smock
09-07-2007, 11:19 PM
...Also, if you look carefully, you'll see that the arrangement has the wire ALMOST bendless! The flooded shaft log stuffing tube works wonders in this department... makes for a TON of adjustability the previously didn't exist in monos... especially with the Speedmaster/stinger style struts! I'm pretty pumped about trying it out!

I like the flooded shaft log as well, it does make a difference.:smile:

I'm pumped for ya.:w00t:

Doug

whiplash
09-08-2007, 04:25 AM
not tryin to steal your thread darin but just wanted to show my work in progress.
after using krylon laquer primer, I used dupli-color thre stage paint which is red and blue, called the mirage.which is also laquer. wadaya think?

whiplash
09-08-2007, 04:45 AM
hey darin id like to know where you pickup those lipos from in the boat.

Darin Jordan
09-08-2007, 08:11 AM
hey darin id like to know where you pickup those lipos from in the boat.

www.cheapbatterypacks.com

whiplash
09-10-2007, 06:15 AM
thanks man......

Darin Jordan
09-10-2007, 11:57 AM
Test Report...

WOW! This boat is going to be competitive... I didn't race it, but did do a couple of good test/tune runs... I'm very pleased... Have a couple of tweaks to do (Thanks for the tips Brian...) but I think it's going to be a really good race boat...

Didn't get any pics or video (hard to shoot and drive at the same time... ;) ) but I'm officially racing it at our next race on the 22nd... I'll try to get some video from that event...

denboy01
10-05-2007, 06:40 AM
Hi from England. I've noticed that a lot of you guys position your battery packs towards the outer edges of your boats and not close to the centre line, which is common at our club here. How much does this affect the stability of your boats?

kck741
10-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Darin-Boat looks good,did you custom make the trim tabs because those things are awesome:buttrock:

Darin Jordan
10-05-2007, 05:20 PM
Darin-Boat looks good,did you custom make the trim tabs because those things are awesome:buttrock:

Thanks... Nope... those are Fuller's carbon fiber trim tabs... Honestly, in the future, I'll be using metal ones from now on... you can "tweak" on them a little more freely to get things JUST the way you want them... But thus far, these have worked pretty well... Not sure it even needs them...

kck741
10-05-2007, 06:17 PM
Cool thanks man need to get a set just for looks lol

FRED
10-06-2007, 07:16 AM
DenBoy1, i place mine on the outer edge beside the motor where the cg is and helps with stability and balance of left to rightand vice-versa. I saddle pack batteries in all my boats. Now if room is a problem, just soldered end to end with a hammerhead attachment. Not hi-jacking, just answering DenBoy1's inquiry!

denboy01
10-07-2007, 03:27 AM
Ok, thanks for the info, I guess the best thing to do would be to try the two positions and see which way I like the boat to handle

Eyekandyboats
10-07-2007, 06:57 AM
Darin. you did a great job.
I have a question. Where did you get those trim tabs ?