PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina Lt. Gov compares poor people to stray animals.

RCprince
01-23-2010, 09:52 PM
http://thinkprogress.org/2010/01/23/bauer-stray/

RCprince
01-23-2010, 09:58 PM
As a Politician, I think he needs a lesson in proper Metaphors and Similes. Also he needs to talk to Scott Brown, he claims his mother was on Government assistance.

m4a1usr
01-24-2010, 02:40 AM
As a Politician, I think he needs a lesson in proper Metaphors and Similes. Also he needs to talk to Scott Brown, he claims his mother was on Government assistance.

Yes he does have a lot to learn if a long career in politics is his goal. If you read the entire article and dont become polarized as commentary continues you can see where he was going with the topic. He was attempting in his own verbage, of public character, to highlight some changes that might be considered appropriate when considering remedies to overburdened social programs. He's not off track. Its a dilemma. No one can argue that fact. Not when dollars are short and the need is at an all time high.

In politics you walk that edge of morality. Speak enough untruths to get elected and shift blame at every confrontation or speak the truth and find hostility and ever growing hurdles that stops you at every crossroad. No one wants to hear the words "NO". We would rather have a "MAYBE" or its "POSSIBLE" then face the dire truth. Its human nature. Has no relation to political affiliation.

John

domwilson
01-24-2010, 04:48 AM
Yes I agree his choice of words and metaphors were improper. He probably has statistics to back up his claim. But what I see here is a much greater problem. The system seems to reward those for their behavior. I agree that some need public assistance from time to time. But I've also seen some who make public assistance a career. The limits are in place for people on these programs but not enforced. Hopelessness and despair have become their driving force to continue down this path. These people should be encouraged to become prosperous members of society and not a burden. Education and training is far cheaper than long term entitlement programs. Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach him how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime. Of course there are exceptions, but many on these programs do have the ability to work and should. High unemployment at this time makes those goals somewhat lofty, but they are achievable. If we put a viable, responsible healthcare system in place, many jobs can be created in support of the system. Take for instance a focus on creating more primary care physicians and their supporting staff with incentive programs. Increasing our manufacturing base. Rules that clearly state that payment amounts will not increase while on public assistance for new births, and enforcement of time limits that people can be on public assistance. Forfeiture of benefits for illegal activities, including citizenship. Just some of my thoughts.

AndyKunz
01-24-2010, 08:54 AM
Workfare beats welfare. There are plenty of county and municipal properties (roads, buildings, etc.) in need of repair. There's lots of trash along the roadways (although I guess that's what prisoners are for), lots of parks to mow and trees to trim. Those who CAN work should. I don't mind paying them for their time. Those who showed a good work ethic while on workfare ought to be first in line when they need to hire full-time workers.

It worked in the Great Depression.

Andy

Dr. Jet
01-24-2010, 09:18 AM
Public assistance was sold to the voters as a safety net. The problem is the recipients use it as a hammock.

RCprince
01-24-2010, 10:24 AM
Workfare beats welfare. There are plenty of county and municipal properties (roads, buildings, etc.) in need of repair. There's lots of trash along the roadways (although I guess that's what prisoners are for), lots of parks to mow and trees to trim. Those who CAN work should. I don't mind paying them for their time. Those who showed a good work ethic while on workfare ought to be first in line when they need to hire full-time workers.

It worked in the Great Depression.

Andy

Absolutely, 98 percent of these people have the capacity to sweep streets, pick up garbage or some other form of tactile work.

tharmer
01-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Where do you get that 98% figure? I'd like to look it up.
-t

RCprince
01-24-2010, 02:48 PM
It's hypothetical, what are your figures? 100 percent...regardless I'm positive that it's closer to 100 percent of the recipients of public assistance are not quadriplegic.

befu
01-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, Teach him how to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime.

yep, I agree. Build a man a fire, and he will be warm for the night. Light a man on fire, and he will be warm the rest of his life.

Oh wait, nevermind.....

befu
01-24-2010, 09:55 PM
The system seems to reward those for their behavior. I agree that some need public assistance from time to time. But I've also seen some who make public assistance a career. The limits are in place for people on these programs but not enforced. Hopelessness and despair have become their driving force to continue down this path. These people should be encouraged to become prosperous members of society and not a burden.

OK, now for the serious reply, sorry about the fire metaphore.

I believe that public assistance, for able bodied citizens, should keep them alive and provide the basics. Survive, but uncomforatable so they have the desire and motivation to improve. this isn't all that off base, it was stated by the founding fathers also.

In my neighborhood, the built about 20 homes for low income, subsidised housing. Very nice houses, 1400 to 1600 sq ft with 2 car garages, about $140k to $160 range. these people drive newer cars, they have large TV's hanging on the walls, satellite dishes and all the damn Walmart holiday decorations you can imagine! Pisses me off. We are not providing for them, we are giving them a crutch and they are taking advantage of it.

Now, there are some that use this opportunity to get back on thier feet and head back out on thier own. These I applaud. Or the homes that are set up to help those that are not capable of living on thier own. Again, these are needed. Those are the cases that supporters like to bring up, as most support them. It is the other 80% of the homes that drive me crazy!

I would not have a problem paying more taxes if I had any faith that the government wasn't going to just waste it. current or past president, congress, govenors.....

It seems that most of us would agree on a high percentage of issues if we met face to face. We differe in how they might be accomplished, and we probably differ greatly in who we would think would do a better job. But eye to eye, I believe most of us would be able to have a normal discussion and want the majority of the same thing.

Brian

befu
01-24-2010, 09:56 PM
Where do you get that 98% figure? I'd like to look it up.
-t

Don't look to far or put any faith in it. 73.2% of all statistics are made up on the spot!

:rofl:

Brian

domwilson
01-24-2010, 10:17 PM
OK, now for the serious reply, sorry about the fire metaphore.

I believe that public assistance, for able bodied citizens, should keep them alive and provide the basics. Survive, but uncomforatable so they have the desire and motivation to improve. this isn't all that off base, it was stated by the founding fathers also.

In my neighborhood, the built about 20 homes for low income, subsidised housing. Very nice houses, 1400 to 1600 sq ft with 2 car garages, about $140k to $160 range. these people drive newer cars, they have large TV's hanging on the walls, satellite dishes and all the damn Walmart holiday decorations you can imagine! Pisses me off. We are not providing for them, we are giving them a crutch and they are taking advantage of it.

Now, there are some that use this opportunity to get back on thier feet and head back out on thier own. These I applaud. Or the homes that are set up to help those that are not capable of living on thier own. Again, these are needed. Those are the cases that supporters like to bring up, as most support them. It is the other 80% of the homes that drive me crazy!

I would not have a problem paying more taxes if I had any faith that the government wasn't going to just waste it. current or past president, congress, govenors.....

It seems that most of us would agree on a high percentage of issues if we met face to face. We differe in how they might be accomplished, and we probably differ greatly in who we would think would do a better job. But eye to eye, I believe most of us would be able to have a normal discussion and want the majority of the same thing.

Brian

Agreed. We're all equally frustrated with many issues facing this country. Unfortunately, we let representatives who are out of touch with society or reality for that matter, to make decisions on how resolve these issues.