PDA

View Full Version : Wow, is Haiti the only thing happening in this universe right now?

NitroVal
01-22-2010, 09:08 PM
Is anyone else annoyed by the events happening in Haiti? Yes, it was a tragedy.. Yes, we should all be grieving for their losses.. But c'mon... I saw a figure the other day to the tune of $240 million raised for Haiti relief. Couldnt we just buy that country for that amount? Its amazing how third world countries get better treatment when tragedy strikes that our own homeland..
I've given up on TV for tonite. My DirectTV guide looks like it has Alzheimer's from this relief program being on every channel..

NitroVal
01-22-2010, 09:10 PM
BTW, I apologize for offending anyone, but I just cant stand the news anymore. When one thing happens, every major news channel beats the *!***!***!***!** out of that story, and it just gets incredibly annoying

tharmer
01-23-2010, 12:54 PM
+1 NitroVal. Compare this to Katrina. Seems like we should take care of our own at least as well as we take care of 3rd worlders.

I too have pretty much signed off news until they stop with the focus on Haiti.

-t

m4a1usr
01-23-2010, 01:11 PM
I was very surprised myself to see 17 channels out of 120 on Comcast showing the Haiti telethon last night. I guess it makes sense since so many are interested in covering such an event. It takes such tragic events to unite the USA and set aside our differences if only for a few weeks.

I for one am still mesmerized by what unfolds daily. Victims still being rescued 10 days after being trapped? Simply amazing the human spirit to survive. There is typicly a set of rules commonly applied when searchers embark on a rescue mission. 4 minutes without air, 4 days without water, 4 weeks without food. Then the mission turns into recovery and assets get shifted, priorities change. When all is said and done and we look back on this tragedy I hope it brings us closer as a nation and if only for a brief moment reminds us how really fragile the world we live in is.

John

RCprince
01-23-2010, 01:35 PM
The U.S. and It's Corporations OWES Haiti a great Deal, they have destroyed Haiti's economy, Willfully and purposefully since the late 1800's (Guano Islands Act of 1857). Maybe we can even go back further and talk about Haiti's assist to the U.S. in the final quarter of Mini Me (Napoleon ) conquest: the Louisiana Purchase.

Steven Vaccaro
01-23-2010, 02:31 PM
The U.S. and It's Corporations OWES Haiti a great Deal, they have destroyed Haiti's economy, Willfully and purposefully since the late 1800's (Guano Islands Act of 1857). Maybe we can even go back further and talk about Haiti's assist to the U.S. in the final quarter of Mini Me (Napoleon ) conquest: the Louisiana Purchase.

This Guano Act is interesting. Thanks for the info.
So Haiti was one of these islands taken over by a US citizen?

RCprince
01-23-2010, 02:52 PM
This Guano Act is interesting. Thanks for the info.
So Haiti was one of these islands taken over by a US citizen?

No, actually Haiti had claimed sovereignty over one of the islands(Navassa Island, just West of Haiti) the U.S had occupied under the Guano Act.

Steven Vaccaro
01-23-2010, 03:05 PM
No, actually Haiti had claimed sovereignty over one of the islands(Navassa Island, just West of Haiti) the U.S had occupied under the Guano Act.

Looks like Spain had a say in their future also.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haiti
Also looks like the USA has been trying to pay back in terms of foreign aid. I don't see Spain on the top of the foreign aid list. But I'm a poor historian and could be wrong.

RCprince
01-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Most people don't understand Haiti was debt free after they paid off their Independence debt to France in 1947 for freeing themselves as slaves( I've never heard anything crazier) But slavery was a Business and Haiti's liberation meant France had lost all investment assets (Slaves) due to the liberation.

ozzie-crawl
01-23-2010, 04:22 PM
there is also some humour comes from these tragedies.
such as obamas speech,went some thing like this "the first 3-4 days are critical,we need to get aid in there as fast as possable"
3-4 days he has to be kidding it took them 10 days to get water to new orleans.
mind you the same happens here,we have a bush fire and the goverment declares it a national disaster,funds are raised by diffrent charity groups to help out the victims but somthing happens over seas and the goverment throws them millions.
not saying they shouldnt be helped but no one gives a rats a$$ about these countrys till somthing bad happens then they throw money around trying to score world political points

RCprince
01-23-2010, 05:03 PM
Read this (http://revcom.us/a/1239/haiti.htm)...I'm trying to find a History Channel Doc about it that I saw in the early 1990's