PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing out?

screwball
01-21-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey guys, I have been into fe for a while, but most of my boats are small. Am I missing something with the larger boats? I ws thinking about an rc prince hull, or something in the 25 inch range. another idea I had was an oval master hull or something from bby. What do you guys think, am I missing out?

Thanks,
James

wakeboardfusion
01-21-2010, 09:58 PM
I dunno, my stuff now is small, i have had a shockwave 36. Fun boat but sucked because it always flipped. I have a blackjack which is 26" but have only got it out once. Am i missing out too? I do know that larger boats take larger wallets.

screwball
01-21-2010, 10:21 PM
I do know that larger boats take larger wallets.

thats the exact reason why i have stayed with small boats.....

wakeboardfusion
01-21-2010, 10:51 PM
even in my small blackjack i need to dump almost $250 to have it the way i want it.

120 amp esc from hobbycity $70
OSE hardware $70
Lipos $50
Misc stuff $30

plus shipping on top of this

Flying Scotsman
01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Small boats in general under 20" are great fun with calm water, in rough water the are not in their best enviroment. This where the big V hulls and cats shine, but as mentioned the cost becomes a factor, 29" to 33" are great hulls and not too expensive to out fit. I still have an H&M Micro cat and it still brings a smile to my face when I run it.

Douggie

Jeepers
01-21-2010, 11:14 PM
I like bigger boats 26"-34" because they are easier to work on,easier to see while driving and can run in rougher water!

wakeboardfusion
01-21-2010, 11:24 PM
I would like to buy a larger boat this summer, but know nothing about which one to buy. I will have to start to research.

Some off the top of my head are
HOR cat
DF33
OM33

Any more?

westbeach
01-22-2010, 03:22 AM
do seriously consider the DF Storm, it has a deeper vee similar to the DF sniper! An absolute blast to drive.

I would like to buy a larger boat this summer, but know nothing about which one to buy. I will have to start to research.

Some off the top of my head are
HOR cat
DF33
OM33

Any more?

Simon.O.
01-22-2010, 03:40 AM
Small boats are HUGE amount of fun.
My small rigger and cat are my favourites when the water is near glass calm.
The big rigger (6XL) and 65mph+ is fun but when the smoke pops out it is not fun dollars wise, same for my 5S+9XL Cat.

The small ones are cheap to set up and run, and with less mass generally survive a flip or roll better.
The bigger boats are just holes in the water into which I pour money.

This year will see a mini cat and mini rigger added to the fleet. Both will be well under 20"

The two big 30"+ boats will be run, but when they blow or lose one component that make them inoperable then the will become display boats.

I now choose to no longer feed the big hungry beasts and just want to have fun with the small boats. They do need the calm water though

This may help answer your question.

screwball
01-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys I think I may atixk with the smaller boats as I don't want to start dumping money into this hobby. I Like to keep it fun and simple although my next project may hAve a flood chamber something very small and fast.....

defsaturn6501
01-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Big Boats = Big Bucks!

Especially when you "let the magic smoke" out of your $400 Speed Control....

Jesse J
01-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Big boats are fun, but I have found the main problem is that ever present desire to see it go FASTER. With little boats you reach the limits pretty quick and as everybody has stated, economically. You get to see it do a scale 600 mph and giggle. My biggest Vee was the DF33 I sold to Robert (LipoPower) and cat was 38", and when I dumped a fair wad into them (nearly a grand into the DF33 and more than that into the Intruder) and they went close to 60, I giggled, but with fear!! not only was it a missile weighing nearly 10 lbs and could do damage to itself, but anybody/thing in its trajectory. The second thing is you need a huge lake to run them in, that doesn't have fishermen, boaters or waterfowl.... a big reason in my selling them off. Plus you need another small fortune in batteries!

Now I am focusing more on scale with my boats; all are at or under 30" and can be powered by the Proboat marvel motor, which is economical, gentle on the electronics and miserly on battery juice.

I would recommend getting yourself a DF26 and setting it up with top quality gear. I have seen mine skitter along at 55mph on 6S and gotta say that it is a big thrill from a small boat. I can also drop in 4S and race Dad in his pond that is barely enough to race the miniRios in. To further emphasize its versatility, you can go 3S2P and hit 6-8" chop and run for 15-20 minutes - again more giggly grins.

DF @ 50 mph (I know it had a Neu in there, but the Proboat goes just as fast):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEBOCXzCC2s

wave jumping:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhbDVMsqIbY

screwball
01-22-2010, 11:44 AM
alright cool well maybe their is a df 26 in my future........