PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Pinewood Cars

Darin Jordan
01-20-2010, 11:54 PM
Just finished up a couple of pinewood cars for my son and I. These are for his Boy Scout race tomorrow night (January 21, 2010)...

The Indy Car is Tommy's... He started with a pre-cut body, but did almost all of the rest of the work himself, with a little nudging from Dad...

We'll see how they do tomorrow night!

JimClark
01-20-2010, 11:57 PM
I like Tommy's tell him he did a great job

AndyKunz
01-21-2010, 09:03 AM
Holy car, Batman! Looks like Darin used a Forstner bit!!

Looks good! Can't wait to hear the times.

Andy

Darin Jordan
01-21-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if there is going to be a chance to race mine... It will depend on if other dad's built cars for themselves... they said they were going to, but we'll see...

I should have some video to post as well....

Steven Vaccaro
01-21-2010, 01:30 PM
Nice job. I was at the hobby shop a few days ago and couldn't believe all the cool stuff they sell to make these.

D. Newland
01-21-2010, 05:24 PM
The local Boy Scout troop in my neighborhood allows 20 Friends/family to join in on the fun. Since I was asked by 2 of the Boy Scout dad's to help with their sons cars, my boys are now running in the event! They are pretty jazzed about it, but Josh's car is faster on a lightly slanted ping pong table than Lucas's. Just another example of trying to get things as evenly as possible between my boys...and it not going as planned.

NitroVal
01-21-2010, 06:13 PM
I dunno about these new Pinewood car derbies... I walk into the hobby store and see some pre-made, and some that require minimal assembly. I remember back when I was in the Boy Scouts, we had to widdle our own cars from a solid block of wood. There seems to be no pride left in some of these scouts.. I know if my kid goes through the Scouts, its gonna be the old fashioned way- I'll make him cut down the tree and cut his car using his issued Swiss-Army knife

Darin Jordan
01-21-2010, 08:59 PM
I dunno about these new Pinewood car derbies... I walk into the hobby store and see some pre-made, and some that require minimal assembly. I remember back when I was in the Boy Scouts, we had to widdle our own cars from a solid block of wood. There seems to be no pride left in some of these scouts.. I know if my kid goes through the Scouts, its gonna be the old fashioned way- I'll make him cut down the tree and cut his car using his issued Swiss-Army knife

HaHaHa.... He's only 10... I'll let him completely loose with the knife next year... :bounce:

Darin Jordan
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
He won again this year... Twice in a row for "Best Paint", "Fastest in Den", and "Fastest Overall"...

We raced on a new kind of track (for us), which doesn't use a center rail, so we had to tweak the alignment a tad, as the car are setup to "rail ride", and without the rail, it'd just steer into the left side of the lane... Track is called "SuperTrack"... Check it out: http://www.supertimer.com/track/supertrack.html

Pretty cool having fully electronic starting and timing...

AndyKunz
01-22-2010, 11:59 AM
What, no Spektrum shirt?!?!? I'm going to have to talk to Sonny and Pete :D

GREAT BIG CONGRATS TOMMY!

Andy

Darin Jordan
01-22-2010, 12:06 PM
What, no Spektrum shirt?!?!? I'm going to have to talk to Sonny and Pete :D

GREAT BIG CONGRATS TOMMY!

Andy

I'll wear that when it's Dad's turn to race... ;)