PDA

View Full Version : Hyperion LiFePO4 TX&RX Packs

Bill-SOCAL
01-19-2010, 11:21 PM
I put one in my Futaba 4PK FASST radio. The radio comes stock with a 1,700 mAh 5-cell NiMH. Attached is a graph showing the discharge curves of both the stock NiMH and the Hyperion pack. This is a 2S pack just like I plan to use in the planes. Both packs had an initial voltage of 7.2 volts.

Hyperion says to never discharge below 2.5 volts per cell, and that is exactly where my TX went to and shut off. I just finished recharging and my Hyperion DUO says I put back 2,074 mAh into the 2,080 mAh pack!

The end of pack drop is as dramatic and fast as I have ever witnessed. I will use 6.5 volts as my stop voltage. That still gives me an hour or more of reserve, but why push it. Futaba says this TX has a max current draw of 250 mA. Based on this test it looks about right with a calculated draw of 208 mA. I like how flat the discharge curve is and how well it maintains voltage. At least 0.3 volts higher than the NiMH under the same load.

Looks like I can get 8 or 9 hours of "ON" time with no worries at all!! That should cover the average weekend!!

I am also going to use these packs in some gliders I have and may swap them into some boats as well. They are essentially the same as the A123 packs but in a flat cell arrangement. They are fairly sturdy and do not feel like a lipo. They are also fine to use WITHOUT a regulator and will replace any 5-cell NiMH or Nicad pack. They are NOT meant for use as power packs, only for TX & RX use. They can be charged at 4C and discharge is about 5C give or take.

Here is some more info on them:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/fg3radio/

AllERC sells them in the US:

http://www.allerc.com/index.php?cPat...order&pa ge=4

Raydee
01-19-2010, 11:54 PM
I have one on order for my DX7 radio, can't wait to get it.

Bill-SOCAL
01-20-2010, 01:12 AM
I'm sold just on the basis of this early test data. I have one going into the nose of my new thermal duration plane, I flew one in my 3.2 meter electric F5J plane this weekend, and I am going to use them in my gas race boats. I just wish there was one that worked in my 14MZ.

The good news is if you contact Pat at RC Lipos he can set you up. He plans to carry them shortly but in the mean time he can take care of us!!!