PDA

View Full Version : Need esc for Lehner 1950/4 Hi-amp

nosybody
01-18-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm new to hobby rc and don't know much but trying to built my first hydro using brushless motor. From what I've read so far brushless is the way to go for super fast performance and to seperate hobby from toys. I went out of the way and got myself the LMT 1950/4 Hi-amp motor. This beast is about 1 lb, much more heavier then I expected the day I received it by mail and actually have it on my hand. I've email Lehner for suggestion on esc but all they suggested is the YGE 155 Navy which will cost me the price of another motor. My LMT 1950/4 Hi-amp with LK fan motor already cost me an arm, now the YGE esc will cost me a leg too.

My 1950/4 and all Lehner motors are sensorless, I don't know what difference is that?
I think my 1950/4 is two pole as oppose to some of those outboard multiple poles motor, I'm not sure the advantage or disadvantage of that.

I need an hi amp esc cheaper alternative to Schulze or YGE, any suggestion?

Would I need special esc that will work with my motor that is sensorless, or does that even matter?

m4a1usr
01-18-2010, 02:24 PM
My 1950/4 and all Lehner motors are sensorless, I don't know what difference is that? That means there are no imbedded sensors in your motor providing feedback to your ESC

I think my 1950/4 is two pole as oppose to some of those outboard multiple poles motor, I'm not sure the advantage or disadvantage of that.Yes your motor is a 2 pole. A 2 pole motor is probably the least difficult motor to setup with the wide variety of ESC's available because they like low timing and thats how most ESC come setup. Multi pole motors or outrunners, have more torque typicly in a given kv/ size comparison

I need an hi amp esc cheaper alternative to Schulze or YGE, any suggestion?There are several chi made ESC that might work like the HiModel 200 or the Huaya

Would I need special esc that will work with my motor that is sensorless, or does that even matter?Not at all. Sensored ESC usually are designed to be used with a certain motor.

John

nosybody
01-18-2010, 06:43 PM
I wasn't expecting such a helpful reply like this so fast. I guess this is a community of good people who just loves the hobby and proud of their stuffs.

Thanks so much, I will look up HiModel 200 and Huaya. Does chi made means same as Chinese made?

Thanks again,
Tony

sailr
01-18-2010, 07:10 PM
I see the YGE 155 Navy is a 155A controller. How many cells (volts) do you plan to run? The Seaking 180A is a good one also and inexpensive.

nosybody
01-18-2010, 07:57 PM
Well....originally I was planning to buy and use 4 cell Li-Po like the Thunder Power "All-new G4 Pro Race 50C Series Lipo Batteries". I was really impress with their "50C" rating. The pack is rated 5200mAh 4-Cell/4S 14.8V, Max cont discharge 50C, Max Burst discharge 100C, Max Cont. current 260A, Max Burst current 520A.

With impressive battery specs like that I requested Lehner to make my motor winding for that.
My boat is a Stealth Hydro Outrigger (larger version) by MHZusa. The hydro can accept 12-16 Sub C Nicad or NiMH but I rather not use those type of batteries to save weight.

http://206.206.85.209/xtdoc/Details.aspx?ProductCode=m-1718&store=mhzusa

I told Lehner that I wanted to run SAW with this hydro and they suggested no more then 4 cells Lipo with this motor 1950/4 combination due to the size of the boat.

After reading more info on batteries, I've decided not to buy the Thunder Power 50C pack. Besides the expensive price tag of $259.99, I've read that all Lipo will loose its capacity by 20% after a year or 2.

I got the A123 instead because it will last me longer over the lifetime of the battery pack.
The performance of the A123 might not be as impressive as the Lipo for now but when the Lipo looses 20% capacity then they both are about the same.

nosybody
01-18-2010, 08:05 PM
This is Lehner suggestions for me in their email.

Hello,

we approve you LiPo **5200mAh 4-Cell/4S 14.8V at 50C with:

Lehner 1950/4 LK and Prop Octura V937
This is a setup to run about 160kph.
if the settings are ok...
The controller should handle about 150ampere.
May be YGE 155 Navy

MfG
Andreas Lehner
LMT-Team

nosybody
01-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Thanks! That's a huge price difference for $93-$133 for the Seaking 180A vs 299.99 EUR or $431 for the YGE 155 Navy. The exchange rates is so unfair for competition! Now I'm wondering if I'm paying too much for all the hype about LMT motors. Maybe you get what you paid for is not true here since I'm just over paying because of the exchange rates?