PDA

View Full Version : Best way to enlarge Lehner motor connector?

hydromaddicted
01-17-2010, 12:35 PM
I've quite a few Lehner motors and was looking for suggestions on the best way to fit a larger bullet connector , the bullet females are fixed into the can and 3.5mm.Would it be O.k. if I make an adapter by soldering a 3.5 and a larger bullet together?

sailr
01-17-2010, 02:11 PM
Not sure what you would gain, no matter how you adapt, you are still entering the motor with a 3.5mm connector!

hydromaddicted
01-17-2010, 02:18 PM
The only thing I'm trying to gain is a larger connector without making to much resistance.
Most ESC'c these days come with or take a larger connector just looking for some ideas.

nosybody
01-20-2010, 07:01 PM
My motor is a 1950/4 Hi-Amp with LK fan. The 3 wires sticking out are M3 thread according to their motor dimension chart and I confirmed with them by email.

I was told "Because the connectors have the lowest contact resistance..." and so I should use their "High current plug system up to 200 A 6.0 mm".

I think it's going to look strange with those oversized 6.0 mm plugs over the 3.0 mm wires, but it does sound logical because bigger plugs have more surface area for more contacts.

This is what he say:

"we approve you our High current plug system up to 200 A 6.0 mm...."

Best Regards
Andreas Lehner
LMT-Team

schrieb:

> Hi, can you tell me what size wire connectors I will need to fit with my 1950/4 motor?
> Thank you

wolf IV
01-20-2010, 09:28 PM
ditch the lehner and go with a U.S made neu.. ive had several lehner's and two of which (2250-11 & 2250-13 both on 8-10's ) lose connectors. what a crapy design! just a little bump, too many amps, or too many tugs on the connectors and they become loose. you may not even know it until it causes tons of resistance and melts right out. I did what your speeking of and soldered 5.5 bullets onto the little guys and it worked fine though. later one came out and i tried soldering several times but i could never get it to fit right up against the winding correctly and it went back to Germany for .... months... they finally responded and after hearing the repair cost i told them to keep it, i now use only nue's!!!!!! just food for thought...

nosybody
01-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I've read from some forum that suggested using solder with silver instead of your typical 60/40 tin lead electrical solder. Silver also has a much higher melting temperature then tin/lead. You will need a super big hot iron to melt that sucka into the lug and that thick heat sucking copper wires along with some flux to make it flow right. I think your problem is due to your iron not hot enough for the solder to really covers all the inside between the copper and the lugs. I've done much soldering with electronics circuit boards and electronics components and notice that thicker copper wires tense to draw the heat away from where you wanted to solder, this is due to the thermal conductance of copper. This will result with a "cold soldering joint", a term electronic people calls it and will results with increase electrical resistance.

For the price of a Lehner, I could have gotten 2 Neu instead. Do you suppose Lehner are over rated for their high prices? Then that would be true with Plettenberg too.

I had trouble communicating with those folks at Lehner by email, probably because english is not their first language. I notice when I ask more then one questions per email, they only answer one of my question and not the rest. I realizes that I have to keep my question short and simple because their reply are also short and simple.

Here are their plugs > http://www.lehner-motoren.com/preise.php

You can also get them from > http://www.finedesignrc.com/motoraccessories.asp

BK Motor/ESC Plugs.
They 5.5 mm and can handle 200 amps! These are as good as it gets. Made specifically for hi amp applications!
$5.50 a Pair
(1 male, 1 female)
Quantity

hydromaddicted
01-21-2010, 01:08 AM
Yes I know Neu is the prefered motor these days.I just have a bunch of Lehner motors I bought years ago so I did'nt pay the crazy price that they are'nt worth anymore.So I might as well use them till they achieve paperwieght status.

nosybody Lehner has no service for the US :ThumbsDown01:
and do yourself a favor Don't!Buy Anything From Here http://www.finedesignrc.com/motoraccessories.asp

nosybody
01-21-2010, 01:15 AM
Why ??? I've just finish placing a small order with them last night with www.finedesignrc.com! What horror story are you about to tell me ??? I've never ordered from them before so this is my first time.

Doby
01-21-2010, 11:49 AM
Take a deep breath and hope your order shows up,

hydromaddicted
01-21-2010, 12:01 PM
see here
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10963&highlight=fine+design

nosybody
01-21-2010, 12:12 PM
see here
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=10963&highlight=fine+design

Thanks for the info. :eek:

After reading that thread I'm ready to sh*it in my pants. :doh:

nosybody
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Take a deep breath and hope your order shows up,

I like your saying but here is my >

A Dog by my side :hug1: , Have couple of fast electric boats :rofl: , Plenty of beer to party with :beerchug: :rockon: , And lots of cheap beautiful easy women by your side, on the top, below and in front at a foreign country where your money can go a long way (or long time and short time),,,,,,Priceless :w00t:

With these I'll be a happy camper. :banana:

Eodman
01-21-2010, 12:31 PM
Hope you own stock in Vaseline!

nosybody
01-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Hope you own stock in Vaseline!

No but I hope to buy stock in latex :thumbup1:

--------------------------------------------
I didn't hear Bang when we did it, but again it's difficult to hear over her moaning! :thumbup: Who's your daddy, that's what I always say!

nosybody
01-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Wow, I just finish looking at Neu prices they actually pretty expensive stuff. Neu is not cheaper then Lehner as I originally thought. Then what are the advantages of getting Neu? I've paided $365.851 USD for my Lehner 1950/4 Hi-Amp with the new LK fan as $22.57 added option. Which Neu can I get that has the same equivalent performance of that?

LMT 1950/4 motor's specs >

Winding = 4
Weight = 350g
rpm per Volt at max. efficiency = 3135

Will run on Lipo 5200mAh 4-cell/4s 14.8V

Lehner 1950/4 LK and Prop Octura V937
This is a setup to run about 160kph.
if the settings are ok...
The controller should handle about 150ampere.
May be YGE 155 Navy

MfG
Andreas Lehner
LMT-Team

Motor dimensions for motors of the series 19

36mm Motor diameter
44/54/64/74mm Motor length (for 1920/1930/1940/1950)
add 8mm for LK versions (forced air cooling)
1,5mm flange length
9mm flange diameter
16 bzw. 12mm axle length
3,17/4/5mm axle diameter (1940 LK, 1950, 1950 LK only with 5mm)
25mm hole circle
M3 thread

wolf IV
01-21-2010, 09:08 PM
[QUOTE=nosybody;153386]I've read from some forum that suggested using solder with silver instead of your typical 60/40 tin lead electrical solder. Silver also has a much higher melting temperature then tin/lead. You will need a super big hot iron to melt that sucka into the lug and that thick heat sucking copper wires along with some flux to make it flow right. I think your problem is due to your iron not hot enough for the solder to really covers all the inside between the copper and the lugs. I've done much soldering with electronics circuit boards and electronics components and notice that thicker copper wires tense to draw the heat away from where you wanted to solder, this is due to the thermal conductance of copper. This will result with a "cold soldering joint", a term electronic people calls it and will results with increase electrical resistance.

For the price of a Lehner, I could have gotten 2 Neu instead. Do you suppose Lehner are over rated for their high prices? Then that would be true with Plettenberg too.

I had trouble communicating with those folks at Lehner by email, probably because english is not their first language. I notice when I ask more then one questions per email, they only answer one of my question and not the rest. I realizes that I have to keep my question short and simple because their reply are also short and simple.

Here are their plugs > http://www.lehner-motoren.com/preise.php

You can also get them from > http://www.finedesignrc.com/motoraccessories.asp

BK Motor/ESC Plugs.
They 5.5 mm and can handle 200 amps! These are as good as it gets. Made specifically for hi amp applications!
$5.50 a Pair
(1 male, 1 female)I USE 94- 96 PERCENT SILVER ( NO LEAD, OR ROSIN CORE)AND A 100 AMP IRON. THE TWO WORK REALLY WELL TOGETHER! 5.5 MM? I USE QUITE A BIT OF AND EVEN USE 8MM ON MY MARITIMO PACKS AND ESC'S...GOT TO SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY WHEN PRODUCING EXCELLENT PRODUCTS LIKE NEU! YOU PAY FOR THE AMERICAN QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND I THINK THEY PACK A WAY BIGGER PUNCH!!!

nosybody
01-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I USE 94-96 PERCENT SILVER ( NO LEAD, OR ROSIN CORE) AND A 100 AMP IRON. THE TWO WORK REALLY WELL TOGETHER! 5.5 MM? I USE QUITE A BIT OF AND EVEN USE 8MM ON MY MARITIMO PACKS AND ESC'S...GOT TO SUPPORT YOUR COUNTRY WHEN PRODUCING EXCELLENT PRODUCTS LIKE NEU! YOU PAY FOR THE AMERICAN QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE, AND I THINK THEY PACK A WAY BIGGER PUNCH!!!

I'm really glad to hear that!!! :thumbup1: Cheers! :beerchug:

Did you have to go out and buy that 100 amp iron recently? I never heard of 100 amp iron before? I'm waiting for my plugs from FineDesign (hope it will arrive :Praying:) and will also need to buy a hot iron or just buy a hot iron tip attachment for my blow torch that can get the same results.

You're right about supporting my country here in the good old USofA! :iagree: :canada:

Oops wrong flag but close enough.

:usa: Here you go!

After you run your boat a few time, please take notice and keep us all posted here if there is any excess heat too hot to the touch? Thanks!