PDA

View Full Version : When is it time for bearing replacement?

FE Wannabe
01-15-2010, 08:48 PM
I have a kinda newbie question.

What are all the factors that determine when you should replace the bearings in a brushless motor?

I know when bearings "feel" rough they need to be replaced, but what about end play on the rotor? How much is too much?
I have some motors with no end play and some with as much as 2mm and a few in between.

Thanks for any sage advice.......
Brad

domwilson
01-15-2010, 08:56 PM
Side play, a grind when turning the shaft, unusual noises or whining when running, rust. There are other symptoms. Just can't think of them right now.

m4a1usr
01-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I have a kinda newbie question.

What are all the factors that determine when you should replace the bearings in a brushless motor?

I know when bearings "feel" rough they need to be replaced, but what about end play on the rotor? How much is too much?
I have some motors with no end play and some with as much as 2mm and a few in between.

Thanks for any sage advice.......
Brad

End play has more to do with rotor gap then bearing wear. To take up end play you need to either place spacers in between the two bearings on the end plates or install a thrust bearing that takes out all end play. Simple to do but you need to understand where the force will occur as one side will be loaded while the other will not.

John

jcald2000
01-16-2010, 07:02 AM
If you wait until you can hear/ see something, it might be too late. I replace every 50 races or about every other year.

Steven Vaccaro
01-16-2010, 08:29 AM
If you wait until you can hear/ see something, it might be too late. I replace every 50 races or about every other year.

Jim I agree, waiting to long can be disastrous for the motor. The tolerance between the rotor and windings is very tight. If you loose a bearing during a run, most likely the rotor will go off center and hit the windings. then itshttp://planetsmilies.net/ill-violated-dead-smiley-9436.gif

FE Wannabe
01-16-2010, 01:44 PM
Thanks for all the replys, the advice is appreciated.

Brad

graill
01-16-2010, 02:57 PM

This is good advice. Manufacturers should supply you specs on anything you want, including the bearing and bearing manufacturers, from this you can plan a preventive maintenance routine based on your level of activity (how rough you play) and usage times on the parts.

Waiting for something to show up as worn or until something starts to fail is totally up to you and your own wallet. :smile:

Replacement should be based on time (your spec'd usage) not wear or failure.

Gary
01-17-2010, 06:30 PM
I have found recently that when the motor is at full tilt beyond its limit and locks up soild out on the water that its probably time for new bearings!!!!!!!!!LOL Goood Times!!!

FloatDaBoat
01-17-2010, 11:38 PM
I have found recently that when the motor is at full tilt beyond its limit and locks up soild out on the water that its probably time for new bearings!!!!!!!!!LOL Goood Times!!!

From Full Tilt Boogie - - To Total Carnage !!!

Oops . . . .