PDA

View Full Version : Cutting the shafts...

vvviivvv
01-15-2010, 07:00 PM
I just got my Neu 1521's the other day and the shafts are about a inch and a 1/2 long, this is rather awkward for my boat, what do i have to be aware of when i cut them? heat build up ruining the bearings? anything else? i know i cant let any of the shavings get inside the motor so it will be taped up, could cutting the shafts cause it to be thrown out of balance?

westbeach
01-15-2010, 07:17 PM
Cutting the shaft won't throw it out of balance unless if you force the cutting tool while cutting. Use a cutting disc with some cutting oil. Don't let the shaft heat up too much while cutting or it will change the temper. Better yet, find a machine shop with a lathe and get them to grind a flat spot for you too!

m4a1usr
01-15-2010, 08:29 PM
I just got my Neu 1521's the other day and the shafts are about a inch and a 1/2 long, this is rather awkward for my boat, what do i have to be aware of when i cut them? heat build up ruining the bearings? anything else? i know i cant let any of the shavings get inside the motor so it will be taped up, could cutting the shafts cause it to be thrown out of balance?

You wont imbalance the rotor by cutting it down but the old adage applies. Measure twice, cut once. You need to answer some of the most basic questions before chopping off your drive line. Do you plan on running a thrust bearing? Its a good idea to use one if you have any doubt. So you will need to compensate for bearing length and depending on what motor face plate you got do you need to attach a bearing load spacer? Those 2 items can add up to 1/4" of rotor shaft that should not be removed. Need a pic to understand? Let me load one up.

John

m4a1usr
01-15-2010, 08:37 PM
http://i1009.photobucket.com/albums/af218/m4a1usr/DSCN1829-1.jpg

John

RayR
01-16-2010, 02:18 AM
When you cut the shaft, put it in a plastic bag with the shaft poking through a hole in the bag. This so the metal bits don't end up stuck inside the motor.

Ray

vvviivvv
01-16-2010, 08:48 AM
i have access to a machining shop but i dont understand how you would machine the shaft that way? put the motor in the machines chuck and use the tools on the shaft? just use a parting tool ? wasnt planning on a thrust bearing tbh there isnt any play in the motors

detox
01-16-2010, 04:47 PM
Whar size are the shafts? 5mm or 8mm?

malibu1
01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
The shaft is an inch an a half long? Thats sounds way to long. The shafts on my 1527's are 3/4 of an inch long.

vvviivvv
01-16-2010, 07:32 PM
there 5mm and yeah even Jim Williams who sold me them was curios about the length ill take a pic if u dont believe me..

malibu1
01-16-2010, 07:49 PM
V, I believe you buddy! No need for a pic. I just had not seen a shaft that long. I have seen lots of crazy things happen during manufacturing processes in the last couple years. You would think that there would be some kind of QA inspection on these motors before they are sent out the door.

motoxbob11
01-16-2010, 07:59 PM
V, I believe you buddy! No need for a pic. I just had not seen a shaft that long. I have seen lots of crazy things happen during manufacturing processes in the last couple years. You would think that there would be some kind of QA inspection on these motors before they are sent out the door.

When I got my 1521 I couldn't believe how long the shaft was either. I decided to cut it down because the coupler would have looked lonely way out there on the end. Dremel cutoff wheel worked great and also Dremel to grind a flat spot on the shaft.

FloatDaBoat
01-16-2010, 08:58 PM

There seems to be quite a few of these "Inspectors" out there. They probably spend most of their time bragging to fellow employees that, "I put the "K" into Quality Control!!!).

malibu1
01-16-2010, 09:06 PM
LOL, and complaining about the Engineers:)

toysRme
01-16-2010, 09:11 PM
When I got my 1521 I couldn't believe how long the shaft was either. I decided to cut it down because the coupler would have looked lonely way out there on the end. Dremel cutoff wheel worked great and also Dremel to grind a flat spot on the shaft.

I also used "blutak"(poster gum) or Serpent cleaning gum to sheild the bearings and plug the breather holes in the endbell. This was great for holding the plastic bag on the shaft.

Take your time and trust the skills you have, First one is the hardest.

vvviivvv
01-17-2010, 10:33 AM
I also used "blutak"(poster gum) or Serpent cleaning gum to sheild the bearings and plug the breather holes in the endbell. This was great for holding the plastic bag on the shaft.

Take your time and trust the skills you have, First one is the hardest.

going to take it to school with me tomorrow see what can be done on the lathe, might have to fashion something out of solid aluminum to support the motor in then taper it down so it fits in the supporting thing of the lathe :w00t: alot of machining to do tomorrow while the 5mm shaft goes into the spinney chuck

vvviivvv
01-18-2010, 09:02 AM
The shafts are silver steel they won't cut it on the lathe

Guess it's a grinder

m4a1usr
01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
Guess it's a grinder

That will work, just wrap a small piece of wet rag around the shaft close to the bearings so the heat doesnt drive out the grease or oil in them. You sound very capable and I'm sure know to control the heat.

John

vvviivvv
01-18-2010, 03:53 PM
Just cut them with some special stainless steel grinder wheel brand new, sliced through no probs the makita grinder is massive... Was cool enough to touch after cutting