PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone help identify this brushed motor?

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 01:41 AM
I've had this motor here for awhile, but I don't know what exactly it is... I've had it apart, but can't tell how many turns it is. The magnets appear to be a hard silver colored material... I'm assuming some kind of Neo material or ??

Any idea what it is?

Also, is there any way, short of unwinding the motor, to figure out approximately what the wind is???

FloatDaBoat
01-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Also, is there any way, short of unwinding the motor, to figure out approximately what the wind is???

I’ve no clue as to who manufactures that motor.
To determine the wind, you’d have to measure the wire diameter, use a precision ohmmeter to measure the resistance of one pole, then you’d have to convert that resistance into length for that sized wire, then you could guesstimate how many turns. A 540 armature is ~ 2.25 inches in circumference for the first layer of wire.

Fluid
01-12-2010, 07:27 AM
I recognize it but cannot remember the name. Andrew will probably have the answer.

Most - not all - motors had the number of turns written on the armature stack. Open it up and look.

Alfa Spirit
01-12-2010, 07:44 AM
This a vintage motor, may be for a 1/10 car

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 08:15 AM
Most - not all - motors had the number of turns written on the armature stack. Open it up and look.

Jay... come on dude... who do you think you are talking to here??? :biggrin:

I've had it apart and someone has written "212" on the rotor... otherwise, it doesn't say anything...

I'll just swap the rotor for one that I already know... then there won't be an issue... :thumbup1:

AndyKunz
01-12-2010, 08:39 AM
SR Batteries sold those. It's a machine-wound arm (I think about 13T), Neo magnets. I had two of them. He sold two different winds.

They didn't last long and were WAY over-priced.

Andy

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 10:45 AM
SR Batteries sold those. It's a machine-wound arm (I think about 13T), Neo magnets. I had two of them. He sold two different winds.

They didn't last long and were WAY over-priced.

Andy

Hmmmm.... When you say "didn't last long"... you mean weren't sold for long, or wore out quickly???

Mine was free... so the price is excellent... ;)

Were they any good, or just another brushed motor??

Does anyone happen to know what it was called???

FloatDaBoat
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
I've had it apart and someone has written "212" on the rotor... otherwise, it doesn't say anything...

If it was printed as 2X12, I'd say it was a double wound motor consisting of 12 turns . . . .

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 11:15 AM
If it was printed as 2X12, I'd say it was a double wound motor consisting of 12 turns . . . .

No... it's hand written on there and is clearly 212... I haven't measure it, but I'm wondering if that was the comm measurement after they cut it down?

I have several other rotors here, so I'll just swap in something I know and give it a whirl...

AndyKunz
01-12-2010, 01:10 PM
Hmmmm.... When you say "didn't last long"... you mean weren't sold for long, or wore out quickly???

Mine was free... so the price is excellent... ;)

Were they any good, or just another brushed motor??

Does anyone happen to know what it was called???

They were hyped but quickly lost favor. BL started being big at the same time. Hi torque motor, needed a gearbox to be really useful.

I forget what they were called. Probably spend some time googling to find out. Or you could just try calling him.

Andy

Gerwin Brommer
01-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Darin ( & Jay )

I think this is a "Zander" motor ?
A German who made these motors by hand.
Very rare and very good, for a brushed motor.

marker
01-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Darin
I still think it's one of Andrew's Lightningman neo motors (ND 10) ,I have one and it looks identical including the paint finish.
Mark

AndyKunz
01-12-2010, 06:39 PM
I believe Andrew sold them too, after SR discontinued them.

I have an e-mail in to a friend. We should know in the morning.

Andy

Fluid
01-12-2010, 06:41 PM
It is the Lightning Man motor that Andrew sold years ago - that's why I said that Andrew will probably reply. These Neo motors came in winds from 8 to 12 turns.

http://i47.tinypic.com/208gtxf.gif
Lightning Man Neo Motor

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 08:28 PM
It is the Lightning Man motor that Andrew sold years ago - that's why I said that Andrew will probably reply. These Neo motors came in winds from 8 to 12 turns.

http://i47.tinypic.com/208gtxf.gif
Lightning Man Neo Motor

Thanks Jay... That's what I was looking for... Now to figure out the winds... I'm guessing maybe 12 is correct, but I'll try to verify. Looking at the name of the .gif file you posed for the picture, which is "208gtxf", I'm starting to think that the 212 written on the arm does mean it's a "212gtxf", which would be a 12-turn, if the part numbers are logical...

Thanks for taking the time to look this up for me.

sjslhill
01-12-2010, 08:32 PM
My question is, what are you going to do with it?

Darin Jordan
01-12-2010, 08:37 PM
My question is, what are you going to do with it?

Not sure yet... I'm thinking it might be fun in a Traxxas Rustler... but I have a couple of other thoughts... involving riggers, that keep popping into my head... :buttrock:

BILL OXIDEAN
01-13-2010, 11:22 AM
Yessir, its a lightning man. Unreal torque comin' outta those suckers, Why does that look like my old one?

I forgot who I traded that to wait, it was someone on Rum Runner a few years ago probably like 4

Greg Schweers set N-2 mono with a neo brushed motor and his record stood for like 3-5 years untouched until brushless came along.
they're finiky to figureout a wind/prop combo, you'll get it red hot in the process but once you find out what's up you'll have a beast.

I slammed a six turn in there to see what came of it because rpm drops DRASTICLY as I'm sure you've tried to hand shaft turn an arm/rotor in there its near impossible.

I remember it liking heavy springs.

Darin Jordan
01-13-2010, 11:27 AM
Yessir, its a lightning man. Unreal torque comin' outta those suckers, Why does that look like my old one?

I forgot who I traded that to wait, it was someone on Rum Runner a few years ago probably like 4

I got it from a guy in our club with a bunch of parts I bought from him... I think I have a second motor in pieces somewhere...

AndyKunz
01-13-2010, 02:16 PM
Got this back from a friend a little while ago.

Andy

Hi Andy,

It bugged me enough that I searched my archive to find the motors.

The company is called AstroPower-Leisure Aust.
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~mkbuck/

The motors Larry had were the ND type:
http://home.alphalink.com.au/~mkbuck/index_files/Page256.htm

Hope this helps,

Ken

Alfa Spirit
01-13-2010, 03:37 PM
Here' s the boat you need for that motor :laugh::buttrock:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3950/cobragraupneryoggi4.jpg

Darin Jordan
01-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Here' s the boat you need for that motor :laugh::buttrock:

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/3950/cobragraupneryoggi4.jpg

I'll have to look when I get home... my work PC filters out imageshack photos...

Thanks for the info guys... It's nice to know what one is working with... This MIGHT be an interesting motor to try out in my Vintage Raptor Rigger... Do a little "old school" brushed kicking A$$... :thumbup1:

Alfa Spirit
01-13-2010, 04:12 PM
No! Don' t look at this picture :doh:

My last brushed motor was a Plattenberg with samarium cobalt magnets, a MONSTER